Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 64 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 63 64
#4544392 - 11/10/20 06:42 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Allen]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Allen
I can last 40 or 50 hours -- unmodded. But, since I grind a game, I don't get as far as someone else might in that same game.

Often, I read an RPG has a 20 or 40 hour plot and I play less than half way in that time. Then, because I grind (figuratively looking under every rock), it gets to be "same old same old". If I mod, it changes things -- not "same old" anymore. In those cases, half my hours (sometimes much more) are spent figuring out how to mod and then modding.

Having said all that, I've made a very small number of very good mods -- and many that please me but would bring a "yawn" to others. Among the good: Long ago a realistic WW1 fighter. More recently a fair version of my wife in the pilot's seat -- also very realistic copies of real weapons and armor and some I invented. But, mostly, "yawn" to others. A fun way to pass more time with a nominally good game (we retired folk have time to spare smile ).

Good post Allen and I can definitely understand where you're coming from. There are certain games that would have died out a long time ago if they were not moddable. The first example that comes to my mind is Armed Assault 3.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4544408 - 11/10/20 08:29 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I tried modding Witcher 1 again. But couldn't figure where to start modding. FWIW, I have 77hrs of Witcher 1 playtime total according to Steam.

So, I jumped back to Witcher 2 and the internet told me how to "uncook" the files and also "repack as cooked". Uncooked, modded a file (that I could figure out for myself -- similar to W3), packed, tried in game -- it worked (literally much to my amazement on the first try).

So, now I'll restart Witcher 2. Since this is not the Witcher 2 thread, I'll not be saying much more. But, thanks for the conversations. They "got my head straightened out" regarding what to play next thumbsup

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4544761 - 11/12/20 11:24 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
That_1_Trains_Girl Offline
That_1_Trains_Girl  Offline

I've mostly been neck-deep into Assetto Corsa Competitzione. Looking to get my pace up to race levels so I can run some endurance stuff with my mates.

When it comes to less sim-y games, I have been having a really good time with a point-and-click called FoxTail. It's this tiny indie production made by one guy, and the puzzles are very classic Sierra/LucasArts, very good stuff.

"The air is the only place free from prejudices."
- Bessie Coleman, the first African-American woman to become an airplane pilot, 1921
#4546755 - 12/01/20 09:08 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Witcher 2 done. Just a bit over 30 hours from very beginning to the long ending credits followed by the invasion scene (according to Steam hours shown). Never completed an RPG game that quickly.

FWIW: Played most (not all) the quests/side-quests. Only about 23% of players finish (according to Steam). Killed Letho -- about 10% kill Letho at the end game. Killed the Dragon -- about 10% do that. Nothing special, my mods make it easier.

Many interesting in-game referrals to Witcher 1. I only got part way through that one. I may try to finish it before finishing Witcher 3. Witcher 3 is supposed to get updated graphics soon.

Cyberpunk 2077, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, to be updated Witcher 3, to be updated Mass Effect series, etc await a new generation AMD GPU -- probably a couple months. I could also use the new GPU to get the most out of MSFS2020.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4546810 - 12/02/20 12:07 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Currently playing a lot of Fallout 76. This game has been VASTLY improved from what it was on release day and for the most part it plays just as well as Fallout 4 did.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4546811 - 12/02/20 12:08 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by That_1_Trains_Girl
I've mostly been neck-deep into Assetto Corsa Competitzione.

Does this have AI cars for multiplayer or does it only support human controlled cars?

#4546822 - 12/02/20 02:01 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
These games have been in my rotation over the past month or so

F1 2020 -- I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this one. Several hundred hours. Multiple career modes, seasons, teams. Currently resurrecting fallen giant Ferrari in 2023.

Outer Worlds -- From Obsidian, I bought it based on reviews and the company's track record. Horrible combat made me shelve it for now after just a few hours. Might be a good game here, but man the combat sucks. AI consists of rushing the player as immediately and quickly as possible. Yawn

Borderlands 3 -- Just bought it in the Steam sale. I bought in as an Epic exclusive a year ago, and played through a couple times (TVHM). Awesome game, one of my favorite franchises. Few games have taken me so completely by surprise as Borderlands did (Borderlands 2). Bought it on a whim and it became one of my all-time favorite shooters. I like the art style, humor, characters, music and gameplay in general. The gunplay is fantastic and the weapons are too. As popular as it is, I reckon it's still underrated. I used Epic to buy three exclusive games in the last year or two -- RDR 2, Exodus and Borderlands 3. I've now bought the last two on Steam as well, and nearly bought RDR2 the other day in the Steam sale. Different versions, GoY, Season Pass sort of stuff with all the DLC. I don't hate Epic, but I love Steam. But it's more down to how rarely I use Epic, and when I do fancy a bit of RDR 2 or whatever, everything needs to update and it just kills the mood. Epic updates, the launcher updates, the game updates, the updates update. Bah, just get it on Steam and be done with it. Waiting for sales means it doesn't hurt too bad to buy a second copy (and I get all the new content too). I can console myself because it supports developers of my favorite games and puts a little more cash in their pockets.

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts -- A good sniper-shooter. Looks good (Cry Engine game), plays well. Has good shooting mechanics, challenging AI and varied objectives. A bit of a departure from Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, losing the open world and replacing it with five large maps. Some cool kit and toys to play with. Nothing particularly remarkable about it, or innovative. But what it does it does well enough that the end result is a good shooter. It's a bit of a hybrid, mixing a lot of spec ops sort of work in, less focus on pure sniping, and more on completing objectives and getting in close with the enemy.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4546825 - 12/02/20 02:12 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
I don't hate Epic, but I love Steam. But it's more down to how rarely I use Epic,

The only reason I got EPIC is because my friend jumped the gun and bought BL 3 on release so I was kind of compelled to get it since he really wanted to play it in COOP mode. I would have been just fine with waiting a year until it came out on Steam.

I have recently come to the realization that I currently have enough games installed right now that I am in no hurry to get a new game on release day. I'm perfectly fine waiting until it goes on sale or it gets the inevitable slew of patches. "Cyberpunk 2077" is an extremely rare exception since I was blown away by what the developer did with Witcher 3.

#4546830 - 12/02/20 02:58 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I'm playing Terminator:Resistance and it surprised me to be honest. It's really good. Just the right amount (so far) of combat,stealth,story and crafting.

I keep blundering into patrols which I find annoying but that's partly my fault for not using the special vision mode and generally being heavy-handed.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4546831 - 12/02/20 02:59 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

The only reason I got EPIC is because my friend jumped the gun and bought BL 3 on release so I was kind of compelled to get it since he really wanted to play it in COOP mode. I would have been just fine with waiting a year until it came out on Steam.

I now have it on both platforms, so if we ever get around to playing I can go with the flow. Do we need to be on same platform? Maybe not.

I have recently come to the realization that I currently have enough games installed right now that I am in no hurry to get a new game on release day. I'm perfectly fine waiting until it goes on sale or it gets the inevitable slew of patches. "Cyberpunk 2077" is an extremely rare exception since I was blown away by what the developer did with Witcher 3.

Same here. I became a dad in 2010, got married, moved to a different state, new job, new family. My life got flipped so much that PC gaming was a casualty. From 2010 to 2013 I played nothing. So that when I got divorced and got my life back, there was this huge backlog of games to play. It's great, because so much that was old was new to me, and I could just buy games that had been out a while, at lower prices and in better states with additional content. It's worked out great, and is still going. But as you mention, there are some transcendent titles that deserve purchase from the off. RDR 2 was one of these games, Witcher 3 as you mentioned. And as we are discussing in the Cyberpunk thread, Cyberpunk too. I hope it is so great that my next entry in this thread just says

Cyberpunk

biggrin

#4546832 - 12/02/20 03:01 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam based on rave reviews of its RPG content -- and Witcher 3 ties. In reading, I never noticed it was 1st person -- I play W3 in 3d person.

1st person kills immersion for me (as we know, others prefer 1st person for maximum immersion). So, I got a refund from Steam. I assume that when I get my new GPU I'll "suck it up", re-buy it, and try to enjoy 1st person. First person could also be a problem with Far Cry 6 (free with my R7 5800X purchase).

Regarding above comments: I got Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3 free with a couple AMD purchases.

Played a lot of Outer Worlds -- but lost interest -- may restart someday. I watched a full length video of a "speed play" that literally only took about 15 minutes (no cheating that I could see).

Only played an hour or so of Borderlands 3 -- a quick check (was playing something else).

#4546833 - 12/02/20 03:03 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
I'm playing Terminator:Resistance and it surprised me to be honest. It's really good. Just the right amount (so far) of combat,stealth,story and crafting.

I was really impressed as well especially considering that this was a low budget title. The story was good enough to have been made into a film in my opinion.

#4546836 - 12/02/20 03:13 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Allen]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

1st person kills immersion for me

There's no accounting for taste is there? I'm exactly the opposite, needing first person to really get in to it and become my character. Third person games are not off limits if they're good enough, and my opinion of Witcher 3 backs that up.

For me though there is this distinction between becoming my character (first person) and controlling my character (third person).

GTA, and RDR 2 for that matter are games that allow either mode. I played through both in first person. Matter of fact I ignored GTA until first person was added, and it became one of my favorite games as a result.

Borderlands is great, but first person of course, and some just do not take a shine to its quirks I suppose. For me it's a classic series that is a cut above. I've now played every game in the series,even Tales From the Borderlands (an interactive story game, but very well done)

#4546841 - 12/02/20 03:44 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: DBond]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by DBond
Borderlands is great, but first person of course, and some just do not take a shine to its quirks I suppose. For me it's a classic series that is a cut above. I've now played every game in the series,even Tales From the Borderlands (an interactive story game, but very well done)

I bought Borderlands 1 and played most of it and thought it was good -- 1st person evidently was not a stand out issue for me then (2014) in that game. The other two Borderlands, I got free with purchases.

1st person seems natural for a flight simulator -- as a pilot, all I can do is look forward, left, and right and manipulate controls.

FWIW: Just a few words regarding how my psyche interacts with what I see on the screen. In an RPG with manual combat (e.g. swords), when surrounded by enemies and tumbling too and fro and so-forth, 3d person gives me more information regarding my surroundings -- much as I would have in real life with 5 senses and 170 peripheral vision and a "feeling" of where I am in the moment. I use that information to decide what to do in the next instant. If I'm shooting at a person in the distance (pistol, rifle or bow), 1st person could work for me. I'm not debating -- just explaining "me". There is no wrong way to enjoy a game.

#4546849 - 12/02/20 04:33 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Allen]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

There is no wrong way to enjoy a game.

+1

For me, 1st person or 3rd person being more preferable depends entirely on the specific game I'm playing. For example, I find the 1st person view in ArmA 3 to be extremely limiting to my situational awareness and it almost feels like being a race horse with blinders on. 1st person view in the Fallout games though I find to be a much more natural "feel" than using 3rd person which I find to be awkward especially if engaged in combat.

It's just simply the case that certain game engines are better suited to 1st person and others are better suited to 3rd person.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/02/20 04:43 PM.

#4546855 - 12/02/20 05:04 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Allen]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

FWIW: Just a few words regarding how my psyche interacts with what I see on the screen. In an RPG with manual combat (e.g. swords), when surrounded by enemies and tumbling too and fro and so-forth, 3d person gives me more information regarding my surroundings -- much as I would have in real life with 5 senses and 170 peripheral vision and a "feeling" of where I am in the moment. I use that information to decide what to do in the next instant. If I'm shooting at a person in the distance (pistol, rifle or bow), 1st person could work for me. I'm not debating -- just explaining "me". There is no wrong way to enjoy a game.

That makes sense. I'd never play Dark Souls in first person, but I adore the games in third.

Shooters, on the other hand, I prefer in first person.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/02/20 05:05 PM.
#4546871 - 12/02/20 06:49 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Chucky

I was really impressed as well especially considering that this was a low budget title. The story was good enough to have been made into a film in my opinion.

The only downside is that you are not allowed to go anywhere you like. Climbing rocks etc isn't possible and I feel that you are 'herded' along in certain places. No deviating from the path. I just started hacking on the easiest level. I don't like this. What are the hard levels like?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4548942 - 12/18/20 04:19 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I beat Star Control Origins last night. Great game! Very quirky and cute, and meeting aliens was lots of fun.

#4548979 - 12/18/20 07:17 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I started Mass Effect Andromeda yesterday.

I bought it when it came out -- it had a bad set of reviews. Played a bit and lost interest. Meantime, they fixed it up. So, a restart.

There is a good modding tool available. Made my first test mod an hour ago -- shockingly, it worked the first time (give all the credit to the mod-tool designer). Nonetheless, modding is not entirely straightforward.

The heroine is a likeness of my wife (when younger) -- with my wife's first name smile

#4548980 - 12/18/20 07:20 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I played through Andromeda twice and I really enjoyed it. I bought it several months after it was released so it was already patched extensively. I never ran into any bugs or technical issues during my two play-throughs.

Having said that, I didn't find the main story arc or the main characters to be as interesting when compared to the previous three games.

Page 9 of 64 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.