Hop To
#4546753 - 12/01/20 08:30 PM Games as Adult Entertainment  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Hi Guys,

Just some musings while I sit here in Lockdown...

As mentioned in the CP2077 thread, I'm really enjoying the GOG release of Horizon Zero Dawn. This definitley deserved it's 9.5 scores in my book, a game made very close to perfection in all aspects, if you happen to like that kind of open-world action.

As I was describing it to a colleague who's a fellow Witcher 3 fan, I realized I ought to warn him that it has a distinct "Pixar" - as in, made (also) for teens - vibe to it. While there is combat, and human opponents, it's definitley one of the least violent titles I have currently installed. The way characters act, talk, and how the story progresses is closer to a Disney movie or other animated film than some kind of graphic adult novel.

Which got me to think, because HZD is pretty much a mix of the recent Tomb Raiders and Far Cry. And the recent Tomb Raiders have been very violent, very dark. By contrast, the first one had less than a handful of human enemies, and you were mostly shooting wild animals attacking you.

When did the industry actually start developing most of their blockbusters for the 18+ crowd? Not too many years ago, admitting that you played console or computer games as someone 30+ kind of got you weird looks. But nowadays, it actually appears the multi-million budget titles are aimed squarely at grown ups.

Not that I'm complaining. It's just interesting how a hobby that used to be "for kids" (or maybe that's just my perception as someone who was a teenager when the Gameboy came out) has turned into a full-on adult centered industry.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4546754 - 12/01/20 09:03 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
We grew up, and now we make games for ourselves. smile That's my best explanation.

Heck, I built a beach house over the Thanksgiving weekend in No Man's Sky, myself:

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/k3zqfy

I didn't shoot a single monster, or even kill any human players. But I had lots of fun! And my daughter gave input from time to time on some of the interior decorating.

#4546759 - 12/01/20 09:46 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
There are a lot more adults than yutes and they tend to have more disposable income, plus I think your average adult oriented game is more appealing to kids than vice versa.

#4546786 - 12/02/20 02:20 AM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
As a person in their 50's who has been accused of being an adult at one time or another, I can say I prefer to play a game rather than watch TV most of the time. I find the games are far more engrossing, and I have to be an active participant, mentally engaged. Whereas something like watching a TV show or movie is a far more passive act.

I've considered this at times because I have sometimes questioned whether a grown man should be sitting in front of a computer playing games, but then I go back to the TV example. Nobody would look down on you think you weren't "acting your age" if you sat in front of the TV for a few hours in the evening to unwind, so why would there be a stigma to playing a game - which, as I mentioned, is far more mentally challenging and engaging than staring at a TV.

I've also considered that someone my age has basically grown up along with the development of these games. When I was 10 or 11 we had a Pong system (well, not REAL Pong, the Sears version of it!). A few short years later, we were playing Pac Man and Asteroids in the arcade, and a few years after that, we were playing these games on our home TV's with an Atari (ok, Sears Atari but you get my point!). So the games developed as we grew, and they were always a part of our environment and life. As we matured (sort of), they matured (again, sort of).

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4546803 - 12/02/20 11:02 AM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
For me, I would guess that games are made with adult themes in the knowledge that it won't stop a lot of parents buying it for their child. There isn't as much stigma to letting your child play a 18+ rated game, not much revenue lost for the missing younger market, and probably the 18+ rating gains it more than it loses overall.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4546807 - 12/02/20 11:48 AM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st

When did the industry actually start developing most of their blockbusters for the 18+ crowd? Not too many years ago, admitting that you played console or computer games as someone 30+ kind of got you weird looks. But nowadays, it actually appears the multi-million budget titles are aimed squarely at grown ups.

It's been my experience that playing games on the consoles is what is associated with kids but PC gaming is associated with adults for the most part. As has already been mentioned by others here, kids today already have been playing games with adult themes and content so it's not so much that the game developers have changed but the teenage/kid market.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4546842 - 12/02/20 03:47 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
As a person in their 50's who has been accused of being an adult at one time or another, I can say I prefer to play a game rather than watch TV most of the time. I find the games are far more engrossing, and I have to be an active participant, mentally engaged. Whereas something like watching a TV show or movie is a far more passive act.

I've considered this at times because I have sometimes questioned whether a grown man should be sitting in front of a computer playing games, but then I go back to the TV example. Nobody would look down on you think you weren't "acting your age" if you sat in front of the TV for a few hours in the evening to unwind, so why would there be a stigma to playing a game - which, as I mentioned, is far more mentally challenging and engaging than staring at a TV.

Totally also my way of seeing this. I've never felt a need to justify myself to anyone giving me a weird eye over my gaming habits, but if they were merely asking out of real curiosity, the nearest comparison I draw today is with the big-budget TV shows. Somehow there it's the totally grown up thing to spend 80+ hours passivley watching fictious people do fictious things, but if we do the fictious things ourselves, it somehow makes us childish.

Truth be told, I don't think it's a big deal anymore. Lots of girls playing these days, too.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It's been my experience that playing games on the consoles is what is associated with kids but PC gaming is associated with adults for the most part.

Good point, and I guess even at the dawn of PC gaming (Atari, Commodore, x286...) it were mostly adults owning those expensive technical items.

And yeah, agree with DM and Crane that it's easier to make games for adults and have kids play them than vice versa.

I was trying to come up (without cheating via Google) with the game that first introduced quite graphical (i.e. not actual genitalia, but nudeness) sex scenes. Far Cry 3 definitley had one, but I believe it might have been one of the early GTAs? Specifically talking about mainstream games here, not dedicated erotic titles like Larry.

#4546845 - 12/02/20 04:02 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st

Totally also my way of seeing this. I've never felt a need to justify myself to anyone giving me a weird eye over my gaming habits, but if they were merely asking out of real curiosity, the nearest comparison I draw today is with the big-budget TV shows. Somehow there it's the totally grown up thing to spend 80+ hours passivley watching fictious people do fictious things, but if we do the fictious things ourselves, it somehow makes us childish.

Truth be told, I don't think it's a big deal anymore. Lots of girls playing these days, too.

Yes, it's definitely changed over the last few years. The stigma, if that's what it was, is lifting.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4546899 - 12/02/20 11:38 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

I've had that thought several times over the years. My father in law poo poos games as a kids thing, but will watch tv half the day and all night. I've got no gripe against that for him, he just doesn't get it.

It's also amusing when you give people a 'go' on a game, like a flight sim. He had a quick turn in il2 many years ago and walked away saying where is the fun in that, it's too hard! Don't you want to relax after work? He clearly doesn't realise that every night i was single handedly saving the world from hordes of Luftwaffe bombers.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4546937 - 12/03/20 10:10 AM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Lol ^ biggrin

People just don't realise, when we come in from work our real task begins.

#4546950 - 12/03/20 01:03 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
We are all that stands between them and the virtual annihilation of all they hold dear!!!

-Robert Heinlein
#4546951 - 12/03/20 01:06 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
What gets me are the women who complain about "playing video games" is only for kids. Oh really? So posting pics of people using unicorn SnapChat filters and dresses on Pinterest for hours every day is such an adult activity? Good to know....

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/03/20 01:18 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4546958 - 12/03/20 01:28 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Some women are very hypocritical Panzer. I used to get 'demonised' for playing games yet they have their own time drains and interests.

What used to really pi$$ me off was getting dragged into their interests when they never once showed any interest in mine. I'm glad I'm single, and have been since 2004. Now I only have to please me.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4546960 - 12/03/20 01:51 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: Chucky]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Chucky
Some women are very hypocritical Panzer. I used to get 'demonised' for playing games yet they have their own time drains and interests.

What used to really pi$$ me off was getting dragged into their interests when they never once showed any interest in mine. I'm glad I'm single, and have been since 2004. Now I only have to please me.

Hey, sounds like we have that in common, my ex-wife would curl her lip at my flight sims, while never missing an episode of Coronation Street, Eastenders, Brookside etc.

#4546964 - 12/03/20 01:57 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: DM]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM

Hey, sounds like we have that in common, my ex-wife would curl her lip at my flight sims, while never missing an episode of Coronation Street, Eastenders, Brookside etc.

Those are all UK soap operas right? I'm sure they are just as annoying as the US ones. biggrin

#4546965 - 12/03/20 02:06 PM Re: Games as Adult Entertainment [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Yeah,Britain's finest soap operas. I'd rather pluck out my eyes with a spoon than watch any of them.

My last ex was addicted to 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' (thanks Australia) so much so that eventually she drew me into it.

Last edited by Chucky; 12/03/20 02:10 PM. Reason: removed possibly offensive remark

EV's are the Devils matchbox.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.