Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4546531 - 11/29/20 11:06 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

I look forward to trying out this (beta-stage) mod. Lou - looks very promising. I take it that if I install this mod. last, over all of my other mods. - I will be fine? (Will make sure to disable it before flying any other theaters/scenarios.)

EDIT: Have already done some casual flying in the Italian mod. and it is beautiful - have installed it over all of my other mods. and no problems noticed - also very nice FPS too (installs just fine over my WOFF GPU Tuner Patch). Will perhaps tinker with some combat scenarios as time permits. Love the views, very panoramic.

Great stuff,
Von S smile2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Italy1.jpgItaly2.jpgItaly3.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 11/30/20 08:33 AM. Reason: Added latest info. after testing the mod.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4546571 - 11/30/20 11:36 AM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

VonS, glad to see you're enjoying the stellar scenery. Keep in mind it's always been there, my mod is simply giving us a way to get into that theater and make use of it. Have fun!

"Yes" to your question about installing it last on top of whatever mods you currently have activated. And do remember to uninstall the mod when you're done before attempting to go anywhere else. The mod as it stands right now is very minimal as it only swaps out the global layer files for 1917+6, two plane skins, and the in-sim map, and adds the two quick scenarios.

#4546678 - 12/01/20 01:27 AM Re: The Italian Front [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
mandrews Offline
mandrews  Offline

South Carolina
Thank you for sharing this Lou. I know it's still a WIP; but it's terrific. I had a ball flying the standard British mission. I spent much of the mission ground hugging; but it was also fun to watch the TAC instructions. It would tell me to descend while I was staring at a mountain straight ahead (remember, when driving, never follow your GPS blindly). I flew most of the mission in chase view so I could enjoy the scenery (you can't see much out of a SPAD). Here are a couple of images to whet others appetites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also happened to be flying low NW of Vecenza approaching home as a truck convoy and a train approached a crossing. I stuck around hoping to see a crash (or the truck convoy stop for the train). Nope drive right through each other. Guess you can't have everything winkngrin.

Attached Files Shot11-30-20-19-34-18.jpgShot11-30-20-19-17-38.jpg
Last edited by mandrews; 12/01/20 01:47 AM. Reason: Attempting to get images to display in post.

i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD (OS) + SSD (Games), GTX 1070 Ti, Acer Predator Z35p 3440x1440 GSync
#4546697 - 12/01/20 12:17 PM Re: The Italian Front [Re: mandrews]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Originally Posted by mandrews
(you can't see much out of a SPAD).

mandrews that's why I don't like Spads; in the file I attached to the earlier post, I've changed over to a Pup. You can make it your favorite by opening the mission file with a text editor and modifying the plane of choice; you can also look into other mission files for the right naming, punctuation, etc.

#4546764 - 12/01/20 10:21 PM Re: The Italian Front [Re: loftyc]  
mandrews Offline
mandrews  Offline

South Carolina
Originally Posted by loftyc
Originally Posted by mandrews
(you can't see much out of a SPAD).

mandrews that's why I don't like Spads;

Yeah; but I still have a soft spot for them from my teen years playing the old Richthofen's War board game. Of course, I didn't have to sit in the cockpit and track a plane hidden by that god awful upper wing position. Still like the looks of them though.

Originally Posted by loftyc
in the file I attached to the earlier post, I've changed over to a Pup. You can make it your favorite by opening the mission file with a text editor and modifying the plane of choice; you can also look into other mission files for the right naming, punctuation, etc.

Thanks loftyc. I'll grab it and give it a try.

i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD (OS) + SSD (Games), GTX 1070 Ti, Acer Predator Z35p 3440x1440 GSync
#4546829 - 12/02/20 02:33 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Mandrews, glad you are having fun in the Italian Alps. With that ground hugging you're doing, have you managed to fly yourself into a valley so deep and narrow and short that you can't climb back out of it? I have! biggrin

#4546839 - 12/02/20 03:39 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Lou

You need an aircraft that can turn on a dime and climb like a monkey!! Then you can sucker your opponents into the "Valley of Death".

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 12/02/20 03:41 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4546844 - 12/02/20 03:50 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Neither the RFC nor the Corpo Aeronautico Militare have Dr.Is in their inventory.
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4546861 - 12/02/20 05:42 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Dezh Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club
Dezh  Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club

Hampshire, United Kingdom
WOW! This is awesome, Lou.

Missed the brilliant progress on this first time about and The Italian Front is a dream come true for me too.

I imagine you have all the reference material you need, being a highly resourceful fellow on the internet front, but in case you missed it: www.ilfrontedelcielo.it/index.htm is a good site for aerodrome placements, maps and photos for when you restart. Google Translate can handle it pretty well.

I also have a copy of 'C'era una volta un campo di volo...' a history of Villaverla-Thiene aerodrome which I'm happy to scan and share photos etc. from for this development.

I've a copy too of 'I reparti dell'aviazione italiana nella Grande Guerra' (Italian Aviation Units in the Great War) for Italian squadron dispositions if this turns into WOFF 2022. :-)

Plus I've the services of a tame (well, semi-feral) Italian for translation purposes :-D

Oh that I was back in the dear old PBI.
With no more Triplanes on me tail, nor tracer tracing by.
And no more flames and clickerty-clack and no more blooming sky,
And only a couple of feet to fall whenever I want to die.

No. 56 Squadron Song
#4546863 - 12/02/20 05:48 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: Shredward]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Shredward
Neither the RFC nor the Corpo Aeronautico Militare have Dr.Is in their inventory.
Cheers,
shredward

biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4546889 - 12/02/20 08:58 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
mandrews Offline
mandrews  Offline

South Carolina
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
Mandrews, glad you are having fun in the Italian Alps. With that ground hugging you're doing, have you managed to fly yourself into a valley so deep and narrow and short that you can't climb back out of it? I have! biggrin

biggrin Not yet, but I'll take that as a challenge. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some exploring to do.

#4546933 - 12/03/20 04:31 AM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Wow Lou... this looks incredible! Nice work!

Maybe a full expansion with new models and skins could be in the works?

Good luck with it and keep us posted on the development!

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4546966 - 12/03/20 02:07 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks James. But a full expansion? That will take more expertise than I currently have at my command.

Dezh, I had not run across that website before, grazie mille for the link - super! And I will happily take you up on any info you can supply including your interpreter. My Italian is non è così buono, or at least that’s what Google Translate says is what I mean to say. biggrin

Mandrews, found that valley yet? If not, it’s easier to find one when you’re flying an Eindecker or an Airco DH2.

#4547783 - 12/09/20 05:40 AM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

NOTE: this post now contains somewhat obsolete info.; for a JSGME-friendly ver. of the Italy mod. that includes further additions to Lou's original Italy mod., see my WoFF/WoTR mods. support page on CombatAce (direct link to the relevant post is: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/...ebhah2-wotr/?tab=comments#comment-775483).

Had a bit more time to explore the Italian mod. and it is very impressive Lou. For those interested, included towards the bottom of this post is a link to two missions for the mod. To install, first make sure that the Italy mod. by RAF_Louvert is unloaded from JSGME. Then download and unzip the files at the link provided below, and place into:

OBDSoftware\WOFF\MODS\WOFF PE Italy Test by RAF_Louvert\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\missions\scenarios\Germany
(and also into ... \scenarios\Britain -- the "B2" file goes into the Britain folder, while "G2" goes into the Germany folder, etc.)

Under the "quick scenarios" menu in WOFF, choose "AA ITALY TEST G2." You will be in a standard Alb. D.III, parked at the field at Novaledo at 10 am in the first half of Nov. of 1917, with a British-flown Spad 7 and Nieup. 17 buzzing across the field at about 2000 m alt. Depending on the speed of your scramble, you will either face one, both, or neither of the fellows. Your fuel is at 80%. Weather is set to automatic for random excitement. [Revised Aug. 27, 2022 -- download package now includes two missions, one as an Austro-Hungarian flier, and the other as a flier for the Corpo Aeronautico Militare. If you load the "B2" file, it is recommended that you fly northwest across the lines and be on the lookout for Austro-Hungarian aircraft, dirigibles, etc.]

(While the following option might not be necessary, I have also included, for my own minor tweak of Lou's mod., a textures folder for the standard Alb. D.III, as follows: OBDSoftware\WOFF\MODS\WOFF PE Italy Test by RAF_Louvert\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\aircraft\Alb_DIII_Sqd\textures. I then copied/renamed, to that folder, the textures found in Lou's Alb. D.III "early" folder -- in order to have WoFF load the nice, custom A-H skin for the Alby. You may tweak as such for yourselves if you like. In case you do not create such a folder and experience crashes while trying to load the "G2" mission -- offload the Italy mod. first, via JSGME, open the relevant mission file, change all instances of "Alb_DIII_Sqd" to "Alb_DIII_QC1" please, re-save the file, and load again.)

I recommend loading the 150 hp FM mod. for the Spad 7, as well as the Oeffag Alb. D.III FM mod., from my FM pack, for those who enjoy more of a dogfight challenge. Have tested with those mods. enabled (had also loaded my FM mod. for the Vickers-only N.17) and observed all sorts of interesting variations, ranging from spins and stalls for the Spad and Nieup. 17 - if flown by novices - and also the occasional spin into a hillside. Other times it was nearly impossible to get both aircraft off of my tail. You can escape from the N.17 on the level in the Oeffag D.III, and barely from the 150 hp Spad 7 - but I don't recommend trying to climb away from the N.17. The 150 Spad on the other hand has a poorer climb rate and you will be able to borrow some extra time before your next maneuver. If you are flying the "B2" rather than the "G2" mission -- take note that it is an N.23 that accompanies you on your flight, not an N.17.

Representative screenies included from some examples of the "G2" mission (in one of its earlier iterations). The download link to Lou's Italy mod. itself may be found here.

Link to older missions removed; see later posts in this thread for relevant, updated info.

Von S smile2

NOTE: pics. below were taken in WoFF PE 5.03, with some in-sim lighting options toggled on, since my PE-era install was not compatible with ReShade on my rig. Also, BB's clouds mod. 3.0 loaded in the pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Italy1.jpgItaly2.jpgItaly3.jpgItaly4.jpgItaly5.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 09/18/22 06:11 AM. Reason: Revised post with latest info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4557301 - 02/22/21 11:02 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

I don't know if it's actually necroposting, but are there any new updates on the mod?

#4557395 - 02/23/21 01:54 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Afraid not kebab. I'm the only one working on it and RL has been keeping me away from this and other WOFF projects for a while now. At this point the Italian Front is on hold and will be for the foreseeable future. So many mods, so little time.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4558920 - 03/07/21 09:33 AM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Afraid not kebab. I'm the only one working on it and RL has been keeping me away from this and other WOFF projects for a while now. At this point the Italian Front is on hold and will be for the foreseeable future. So many mods, so little time.

Lou

Understandable. The work you put in it is impressive nontheless, I'll gladly wait for the time needed, RL first ALWAYS. S!

#4607041 - 08/28/22 04:44 AM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Friendly neighborhood bump to this post -- and to indicate that two missions are now available for Lou's Italy mod. -- click to open the relevant post above and that contains other important details and a link to the missions. Have slightly revised the initial mission offered and now include a second mission too, flying for Italy -- do try to follow somewhat closely to the suggested routes available on the in-flight map, in both missions, for best experience -- but of course also explore the wonderful terrains and precariously placed 'dromes. Thanks again Lou for making this great mod public.

Happy flying above (and around and between) the Alps,
Von S smile2

NOTE: pics. below taken in BH&H2 1.30, with my ReShade profile for WoFF loaded (available under my WoFF mods. thread on CombatAce -- see WoFF links below in my signature file). Also loaded in the pics. was a test version (4.4d) of BB's latest clouds mod.

New Mission "B2"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Revised Mission "G2"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 06Italy.jpg07Italy.jpg08Italy.jpg09Italy.jpg01Italy.jpg02Italy.jpg03Italy.jpg04Italy.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 08/31/22 09:08 PM. Reason: Added info. to post.

#4607155 - 08/29/22 07:49 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
stoney66 Offline
stoney66  Offline

Danville, Indiana
Just to be sure, this will also work with WOFF BH&H, right?

#4607157 - 08/29/22 08:16 PM Re: The Italian Front - UPDATE - WIP mod now available [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Beautiful pics, VonS! The mountain air looks really refreshing!

Thank you and Lou for putting this mod together.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM