Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3199523 - 02/05/11 07:02 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: The Nephilim]  
mbeaver Offline
mbeaver  Offline

Arizona, USA
Originally Posted By: The Nephilim
Well getting into the Options Screen is Hit or Miss, Sometimes it will let you in sometimes it will NOT and you get the erro message and the EXE Closes..

For me that seems to be linked to the Aspect Ratio. If I select Standard I can get back into the options but if I select Widescreen it won't let me back into options without crashing.

I'm also on W7 64-bit.

#3199546 - 02/05/11 07:32 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Colonel_Kurtz]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Colonel_Kurtz
Its a shame about all the copyright regulations that I cant upload a full version merged DesertOps+EE2+mods install. The Desert Ops exe is the most stable version of EE2. Has anybody tried Desert Ops on W7 64bit?

Working perfectly for me on w7x64, no bugs, no crashes , I flew the entire campaign with no problems.
But I do not recommend this game is a simple shooting, with zero Avionics,only beautiful graphics, and explosions, nothing more.

Last edited by BANITA; 02/05/11 07:46 PM.
#3199694 - 02/05/11 10:48 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: The Nephilim]  
Johnost Offline
Johnost  Offline

Originally Posted By: The Nephilim
Well getting into the Options Screen is Hit or Miss, Sometimes it will let you in sometimes it will NOT and you get the erro message and the EXE Closes..

Also when in the Game and you are at the MAP screen do NOT click on "SITE REP" that will Almost always CTD the game as well.

Try entering a Campaign and see if you can get to the options screen that way that is more less likely to CTD but still does Most the times..

I know a PITA but at least you got it working and once you setup the Options at least you will NOT need to go there anymore.. wink

Yes - I can get the game started, but without stick/pedal controls it is of no use. But I have some encouraging news (I hope), as I described my problems to Strategy First Support, and received a prompt answer. They advised me to delete the four videos, which I had already done to no avail, but then said " - please use this workaround until a patch for the game is created to fix this issue: - ". They then asked me to forward a DXdiag report for my computer - if this did not work, and I did - so it looks like they may be working on a fix for W7!

I will now look into the additional suggestions above - thanks guys!

#3200124 - 02/06/11 03:22 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Johnost,hope you don't mind,I was going to make a new topic but saw this thread.
I just re-installed EE2 on Win 7 64bit.
The disc didn't autorun so I browsed to the installer and ran that.Then I waited,and waited but nothing so ejected the disc.As soon as I did that the installer ran so i popped the disc back in and carried on.
It installed and ran fine (Nvidia graphics)

Now my question.Can I up the screen res to 1680 x 1050? I looked at the config files and such but spotted nothing that may help.I found a res setting in M3DEConfig but it won't let me save it for some reason.

I have the Euro patch 1.02,is there life after that,as in unofficial patches etc?

Many thanks guys.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3200138 - 02/06/11 03:40 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

I have in ee2 DO the graphics options aspect ratio 4:3 16:9 16:10.

#3200153 - 02/06/11 03:54 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Thanks Banita,got it thumbsup

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3202464 - 02/08/11 10:39 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Johnost Offline
Johnost  Offline

I received a second reply from Strategy First, suggesting that my computer needed to install Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 for EE2 to run, however, these are very old updates dating back to 2003. I am quoting my reply to SF for general information:

"Thanks for your reply. I downloaded Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 as you suggested. However, I have Net Framework 4 installed, as it was required by another, unrelated program, and - when trying to install 1.1 or 2.0 - I got the message that they are already installed, so I declined to overwrite.

However, at this point I have EE2 working with minor bugs. To get there I have taken a number of actions with the help of gamers on the SimHQ website:

Installed EE2.setup in Compatibility mode for Win XP SP3 and run as Administrator. Since the installation disk - even with Autorun turned off - starts spinning for several minutes after insertion, presumably loading into memory and going directly to the Installation screen, it is necessary at this point to go to Task Manager and end the Setup program. It is then possible to access setup.exe in the disk menu to set the compatibilities before running setup.

I have eliminated all 4 intro videos, and set Compatibility modes for all 3 executable files in C:/Strategy First/Enemy Engaged 2/cohokum to Win XP SP3 and run as Admin.

When starting the program, I cannot access the Options menu without getting a "EE2.exe has stopped working" message requiring shutdown. However, if I proceed directly to the Combat menu and proceed to, and complete, a mission, I can then access the Options menu.

When setting up a mission, the Voice Control option screen opens, and the game screen reduces to the Tool Bar. When I cancel the Voice Control program and click on the EE2 icon in the Tool Bar, the game sometimes crashes, and sometimes continues allowing me to fly the mission.

The earlier EECH game is still quite popular among gamers, and has survived for many years because the source code was released, and many mods have been created by dedicated gamers. At SimHQ there is a strong desire for release of the source code for EE2, and it is believed that such an action would similarly extend the life (and sales) of EE2, but nobody knows whether the source code is owned by Strategy First, G2, or a third party
."

#3202929 - 02/09/11 01:24 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
HerrKaputt Offline
HerrKaputt  Offline

Johnost, thanks for asking for the source code. Insisting every now and then probably won't hurt as long as we don't spam.

Out of curiosity, could you share with us the email address you used to contact SF? Ideally we'd contact G2, but I can't find their address anywhere and SF might be our best bet.

#3203551 - 02/09/11 11:21 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Johnost Offline
Johnost  Offline

Sure - the address is support@strategyfirst.com

I have not received a reply to the above message as of yet - hope they are chewing on the suggestion, LOL!

#4546071 - 11/25/20 09:22 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
EECH2:DO and Gunship! probably have the best helo graphics engines. Very crisp and efficient, with stereoscopic capability. The options menu bug seems to be gone with Windows NT compatibility and admin priv inside Windows 7. I also went ahead and individually unselected 'read only' for every folder in the the simulations folder. Time consuming, but seems to have helped. I can temporarily exit to the desktop, but to get back to the sim I must use tab+alt to prevent a crash. I didn't have that problem without any compatibility setting. So the NT thing might not be necessary once you're done with the options menu. The in-sim anti aliasing option also needed to be turned off to get the MFDs to work right. Somewhat similar flight model on 'advanced' to 1.16.2's FM1 (out of FM0,1, and 2) with no turn coordination. The engine overtorque is cool. Lot of stuff seems to be not working in the cockpit, though, and obviously in the game. Would be great to add all the EE1 mods into this graphics engine and then maybe further improve the flight model.

Last edited by Reticuli; 11/25/20 09:32 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4546127 - 11/26/20 12:48 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Reticuli]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Reticuli
Would be great to add all the EE1 mods into this graphics engine and then maybe further improve the flight model.

f you can get the EE2 source code, then please do let us know, and we can start modding it.

#4546321 - 11/27/20 10:17 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
This may have already been covered, but I have EE2 running on Windows 7 64 bit. I have it set for Compatibility for Windows XP SP 3, and I run it as Administrator. One of the two requires the CD, not sure which one is which. It doesn't have my automated controls, so I don't play it much. It does run, though.

A few years ago I tried to track down the license holders for the sim, it was bundled in with about a hundred other games. It changed hands so many times it was finally dropped from the license package. I don't think anyone has the license anymore, and I haven't found anyone who still knew who had the source code other than the first version, EECH.

Last edited by Javelin; 11/27/20 10:23 PM.
#4546324 - 11/27/20 10:49 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Javelin]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Javelin
A few years ago I tried to track down the license holders for the sim, it was bundled in with about a hundred other games. It changed hands so many times it was finally dropped from the license package. I don't think anyone has the license anymore, and I haven't found anyone who still knew who had the source code other than the first version, EECH.

I tried that too. I sent a series of emails regularly to the emails for the marketing dept at the last known publisher, which I think was Strategy First. I didn't get a bounce back, so they were delivered. But I also didn't get a response. So I think trying to get the EE2 source code is dead in the water. However I would take a guess that the source code is something like 90% the same as EECH, but ported to an updated engine.

#4546517 - 11/29/20 08:27 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi Guys,

I was intregued by this thread and thought i'd give EECH2 a go on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and do a comparison to EECH 1.16.0.

I did all the things suggested previously in this thread (deleted videos, uninstalled speech part, set shortcut to compatibility mode and run as admin) .

First time I ran it, it loaded and let me set the options for sound, controls (joystick) . I didn't go overboard at this point and just set the joystick up.

In to the cockpit and - it looks so flat. Took off and, any joystick movement had the helo swinging about. Same with the collective. Pulling it up smoothly had no effect and then BAMN it jumps in to the air.

As to the ground graphics, yes I will admin they do look more seamless than 1.16.0, but all very plain.

I closed it down and tried to run again - crash to desktop. I deleted the game.cfg file and tried again. Worked, but I had to do all the options again.

This is what happened to me every time I ran it. Don't think about setting it to widescreen and 1920x1080, cause when you get to the cockpit - CTD again.

Even changing anything in the EECH.ini file would result in a CTD.

Anyway, besides the basic instability (and that may have been something with my system) I was not impressed by the quality of the graphics of this game.

BTW I switched on the display frame rate and it seems I was getting 721 FPS !!!!

I think I'll stick with 1.16.0 for the time being. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that it would not be worth the effort for the modders to try and do to EECH2 what they have managed with EECH.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4546529 - 11/29/20 10:35 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

I think the only advantage the EE2 code had, was that it used an updated version of DX, which I think meant it would be easier to upgrade the DX version that it's using from then on. But I could be wrong with that. I think the biggest thing holding EECH back is it's still mostly using DX7. If that could be changed, then it opens up building a better physics simulation as well as graphics.

#4546536 - 11/29/20 11:45 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

The biggest disadvantage of eech is thatt only uses one core cpu , and the graphics card doesn't really matter, it's all based on cpu work.
Even if you update the shaders, add all graphics "wow" effects will still be very hard, as long as everything is on the cpu calculations.now we are at the wall,if this is not resolved.

#4546560 - 11/30/20 07:48 AM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
So, I take it from what you said that EECH2 off-loads graphic calculations to the graphics GPU while EECH does not. Hmmm, that is a major hurdle.

Strange that the Poland map has so much graphic content yet still gives very reasonable FPS readings. I take it Soczkien has performed some sort of graphic magic with his map.

Soczkien, how would you like to do a small masterclass on your technique and workflow ? I , for one, would be interested.

Cheers guys,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4546634 - 11/30/20 07:35 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: ]  
Viper1970 Offline
Viper1970  Offline

Bavaria, near Munich
Originally Posted by BANITA
The biggest disadvantage of eech is thatt only uses one core cpu , and the graphics card doesn't really matter, it's all based on cpu work.
Even if you update the shaders, add all graphics "wow" effects will still be very hard, as long as everything is on the cpu calculations.now we are at the wall,if this is not resolved.

Even DCS, BMS and P3D have this problem and most flight sims which have enhanced over the years but still use old code. That's the curse of most good flight simulations, cause most of them are based on old stuff. Sadly there isn`t much new coming to this genre or it's simply an action simulation without any realism.

CockpitPC1: Ryzen9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2 SSD|2TB M2 SSD|Geforce RTX3090|Reverb G2|Win11Pro
CockpitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|2x Geforce GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: Ryzen9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x 2TB HDD|Geforce RTX2070|Win11 Pro
ComUnitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|Geforce GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlonII X2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|Geforce 5950Ultra|2x VoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME
ComUnitPC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce 256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE
#4546658 - 11/30/20 10:17 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  
Phoenix54C Offline
I am just a cowboy
Phoenix54C  Offline
I am just a cowboy

Emerald Isle
Well its very sad but ultimately true,

No other known flightsim on the planet has the dynamic campaign engines that eech and bms have.

Even CAP2 seems a long way off.

They just aint putting the time or effort into it.

A sad time all fellow simmers alike.

#4546661 - 11/30/20 11:06 PM Re: EE 2 on W7 64-bit? [Re: Johnost]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

And for this reason eech will always be alive, it is what it is but there is no other choice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.