Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
#4535686 - 09/03/20 01:38 AM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I forgot to add that when I was playing as the Dwarfs, the Mortal Empire campaign seems like it has a ton of factions in it. Even early game (granted on my laptop, which can't hold a candle to my gaming rig) the turns seemed a little slower going through all the other factions. I can only imagine what the late game turn times must be like, even with a number of factions getting snuffed.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4535716 - 09/03/20 12:14 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
One of the recent patches sped up the Mortal Empires turn times considerably. What I do is go to the camera settings in the upper left of the screen and set animation speed to fast (allied, enemy, neutral or whatever options are there). This speeds up the character movement during the AI turns. I set both agents and lords to fast speed while leaving my characters at default to have time to abort or re-route their movement..

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4536139 - 09/07/20 01:16 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I did indeed follow my own advice and started a Vortex run as Ikit Claw. And as I suspected, it's a more interesting start than Mortal Empires for Clan Skryre. It takes a few turns to really get going. I began by attacking the rebel pirate vampires within easy reach and then settled the ruins to complete the starting province. But this takes a lot of soldiers and so there are a number of turns spent replenishing and recruiting. On top of that it takes a number of turns to start researching technology, since it requires a building, which requires waiting a few turns for the population to allow upgrading the settlement.

I aimed to get plagueclaws and stormvermin as quickly as possible and by turn 30 I had two armies with those plus the jezzails and ratling guns. Eliminated Spitek and occupied Altar of the Horned Rat for the ritual currency. A good start and actually have a couple of allies and trade partners, which I found really hard to get for Skryre in Mortal Empires at the start. Got a number of workshop upgrades and built a second doomrocket but yet to use any.

I established four undercities by this point, although the one at Itza is gone since I took that settlement. Undercities are key, as they are a good source of both food and cash. I put them under the richest cities, like Lothern for example. You can opt to either choose a flat bonus (200 gold per turn at the first level) or 20% of the income. Each of these can be upgraded to a higher level and more income at the cost of higher detectability. I choose the 20% one so that my income grows as the AI improves their city. And obviously as long as the city has income greater than 1000 this option nets more money than the flat bonus one. In general I tend to go with food, percentage of income, the building that reduces detectability by 40% and the one which has a per-turn chance of spreading an undercity to a nearby settlement.

I have enough currency to start the first ritual, and two AI factions have already completed one, but I want to wait until I have a third army to be in better position to react to the chaos stacks.

#4536157 - 09/07/20 04:34 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I've strayed a bit from my campaign, alas Elite has been calling me lately.
I'll have to restart my Skaven campaign though. I admit I haven't quite gotten the hang of the undercities. How do you establish them? How much food do they provide?
I'll have to check them out again.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4536161 - 09/07/20 04:47 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
As Clan Skryre you start with an agent who can do it (warlock engineer). Just right click on any settlement you do not own to start one. They cost money, which increases with each new undercity. Then you can click on that settlement and you will be able to construct the buildings (four slots). There is a cool-down until you can build the next one.

You can also choose to establish an undercity when you are in the screen where you have the occupy/sack/raze options. And one of the rites spawns an agent who can either make an undercity or create an earthquake.

How much cash or food it generates depends on the level of the building you choose to put there. You must balance detectability.

The first level food building gives one food, the second level gives three. Other buildings cost food, so you have to plan it out so that you aren't costing yourself too much. That's why I tend to go with food/money so that I am gaining some of each. Once you look over the building options it will become more clear.

#4545684 - 11/21/20 06:55 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
New DLC in the pipeline, out in a couple of weeks

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315750/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II__The_Twisted__The_Twilight/

One new LL for Wood Elves and another new one for Skaven. As a Skaven player myself I approve, but it seems we get too many, where others are pased over too often. But surely CA knows what sells, so I'm sure there's a logical reason for this.

The Wood Elves one might be good. I don't like the standard Wood Elves gameplay, their campaign mechanics suck really. But if this DLC is like others, then maybe we will see an alternative campaign mechanic for the new faction, in which case I may give it a go. These DLC drops keep bringing me back like on a train schedule haha.

#4545700 - 11/22/20 12:20 AM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Map changes are coming too.

-Robert Heinlein
#4545810 - 11/23/20 02:16 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool, the map has really evolved over time, keeps it fresh. It's pretty amazing how much Warhammer 2 has grown over the past few years.

#4545847 - 11/23/20 09:11 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Just in time for WH3!
I'm feeling the itch too, I may fire up another campaign soon.

-Robert Heinlein
#4545850 - 11/23/20 09:31 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No idea when WH3 will see the light of day, but you know how I've talked glowingly about the Mortal Empires campaign in WH2. WH3 will have the same thing, but now combining three games! That's something to look forward to for sure.

If you fire up a new one tell me who you went with.

#4545869 - 11/24/20 02:20 AM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm leaning toward Skaven in ME. I haven't given that campaign more than a cursory glance, I'd like sink my teeth into it a bit more fully.

-Robert Heinlein
#4546362 - 11/28/20 12:35 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
In a surprise to even myself, I've started an ME campaign as Reikland. So far I've just run a bunch of turns to refamiliarize myself with the game then I'll restart for a more serious run.

-Robert Heinlein
#4546367 - 11/28/20 01:23 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good faction, the first one i played. Good roster, interesting position. It's a tough start for me usually, but once you've united the province it starts rolling.

Is this your first go with ME?

#4546381 - 11/28/20 02:56 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yes, first serious go at ME. I tasted a Dwarves faction in ME, but only ran a few turns of it. I'm planning on giving it a good go through on Reikland. Initial take is that handgunners and Reiksguard are quite good in particular.
I've had lots of luck micro-ing the Reiksguard and hammer/anviling or attacking archers in the back line. They seem faster than cav units from other factions, though it's been a few months since I've played and it may just be me.

-Robert Heinlein
#4546383 - 11/28/20 03:11 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good luck. Hope you'll post some updates of your progress.

When I play my composition is like this once the roster is opened up

Franz
Empire Captain
7 x Greatswords
4 x Reiksguard
2 x Handgunners
2 x Crossbows
1 x Mortar
1 x Steam Tank
1 x Helstorm

Handgunners are good yes, and I always want to have ranged AP if I can. I also prefer indirect artillery over cannon. Good cav faction. I like the Reiksguard a lot. Grenade outriders are auto-resolve stars if you use that feature at all.

#4546728 - 12/01/20 03:46 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Skaven are fun. You just have to watch your food. They don't get penalties to upkeep for multiple armies, but each army and town does use up food. You also don't get many options to build food producing buildings in your towns. You'll have to learn to rely on under cities and raiding, even if you're raiding you're own provinces. That just makes a rebel skaven army, which you then defeat and eat for more food.
Their army units and compositions are also very different from most of the other factions. After multiple failed campaigns and some time to get adjusted to them, they are now my favorite faction.

#4546732 - 12/01/20 04:31 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good points. Undercities are key for me. Some starts have it better, with pastures nearby. Queek in ME and Ikit Claw in ME as well, both have pastures close by. Those help get it rolling if you can captures those provinces. Raiding is also good when teetering on the edge, but I rarely raid my own territory. Undercities though are the key to keeping food stocks high in my runs.

Skaven have become my top race too, but it didn't start that way. I thought they might be my least favorite, but once I got around to trying them I liked how they play. Queek and Ikit Claw especially. Eshin I didn't care for although I really want to. But their increased upkeep for many of my favorite units is a killer. Tretch has hard starts. Skrolk is hit and miss. Have had fun with him but the pestilence/plague vibe is a bit much with him. But Ikit Claw has awesome units and the workshop which is great. And Queek is just a great LL. I dig his whole bring it on attitude. A brave Skaven is fun. Always up against lizards and dwarfs from the off. Fun campaigns with Queek.

About the upkeep, or Supply Lines. Skaven are not immune so not sure why that would be in your games. I pay 15% for each new army. Might scale according to difficulty? Or changed since I've played last? Specific faction bonus that I missed?

#4546765 - 12/01/20 10:37 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
That's my mistake, there is an army supply lines penalty it's just that every other army I have is usually skaven slaves with no upkeep so I don't notice it as much as with other factions.

#4546826 - 12/02/20 02:12 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I suppose they're so cheap you hardly notice any increase smile

#4552712 - 01/18/21 04:47 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've been playing Borderlands 3 a lot recently, and one of the load screen blurbs says

"Four is the correct number of times to say chugga-chugga before the choo-choo". True dat.

And that train is right on time with another DLC drop in Warhammer 2

Twisted and Twilight on Steam

More Skaven! Good grief, it's almost embarrassing at this point. But I am glad I happened to gravitate toward the race that CA love the most.

But the really interesting part of this DLC for me is a complete rework for the Wood Elves. I've never spent time with Wood Elves because I thought their campaign mechanics sucked. But now I just might. Players seem split over whether it's actually any good. I'll give it a go down the line.

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.