Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#4546152 - 11/26/20 04:04 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by DBond
F1 2020 is half-off on Steam at the mo. Get it while it's hot! (and less expensive)

Still kicking along with my career. For some reason I cannot wait for the current season to end so I can switch to Ferrari. Something about the prospect of resurrecting a fallen giant that has great appeal. I have about five races to go in the 2022 season, and trail Max by 14 points. Of course there is no guarantee I'll get a seat at Fez I suppose. But by that time I may be double World Champion so they may make room smile

My concern is that if I do get hired by Ferrari that I'll replace Leclerc instead of Kvyat. There's no control over this and I wonder how the game decides which current driver gets replaced when signing the player. We would stand a much better chance of a return to glory with Leclerc in the fold.

I'm having some great racing at this stage. I complain about the AI being too much like AI, with little to no chaos or mistakes. But the flip side to this is that it's like racing a field full of professional, sporting, talented drivers. Unlike many racing games, the AI in F1 2020 doesn't shunt you, knock you off the track or generally run in to you at all. It's all very clean, which is really nice. It means I can race side by side through consecutive corners and not worry about being sent flying off the track. The only problem spot that I've encountered is turn 10 at Bahrain, which is a very slow left-hander. If I slow a little too much on entry I have been run in to from behind, but it does more damage to the other car than to the back of mine, and the resulting new wing that car will need during the next pitstop means they'll pay about a 7 second penalty for running in to me.

So while I do complain about the AI being too good, there's a positive side to this as well. Racing in heavy traffic is very nice in F1 2020. As long as you hold your line it makes for some really close and thrilling racing.

Yes, the cost of iRacing is worth it only if you want to do a lot of online racing without any hassle or wait. I was in a few leagues before joining iRacing. I found league racing even better due to racing the same people most of the time which increases your respect of each other (and any bad behaviour can be fairly and quickly dealt with in a league - unlike the iRacing protest system where literally everything other than blatantly intentional wrecking is called a 'racing incident' by the iRacing stewards). Downside to league racing (at least for me) was the paucity of online racing events and that is was led me to iRacing.
IMHO, YMMV

Old clip I made of a couple of laps at the old Silverstone layout of us slower pilots battling it out at the back of grid. I mainly use the Mercedes AMG in GT3. It doesn't have the best cornering speed but at some tracks, like Monza or Silverstone, where it can 'stretch its legs' it can be quite fun.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4546153 - 11/26/20 04:07 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I'm in! It would be cool if we could get at least say six drivers, have three teams, and have both a driver's and constructor's fight for the titles. All MP cars are equal, so which chassis you choose doesn't matter. If we ever get around to this I think it would be a blast.

Question: does the game allow multiplayer racing (with say the 6 people on 3 separate teams as above) with a grid that can be filled out with the AI? That sounds like it would be fun.

I see your note that the game is on sale, too. I may have to give it a go.

#4546257 - 11/27/20 11:47 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: Patrocles]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Patrocles

Question: does the game allow multiplayer racing (with say the 6 people on 3 separate teams as above) with a grid that can be filled out with the AI? That sounds like it would be fun.

Yes, the Codemaster F1 driving sims allow you to fill out the rest of the field with AI cars for the online MP races. This is a huge difference with iRacing where there are NO AI-controlled cars.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4546264 - 11/27/20 01:35 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Yes, the Codemaster F1 driving sims allow you to fill out the rest of the field with AI cars for the online MP races. This is a huge difference with iRacing where there are NO AI-controlled cars.

Thanks for the info. That sounds fun.

YES, THERE IS AI IN IRACING! yep IRACING DEPLOYED AI CARS AND TRACKS IN DECEMBER 2019 AND ARE SLOWLY RELEASING MORE CARS AND TRACKS. Multiclass racing with AI was deployed last May. Everyone is still asking for the option to allow to race with the AI with friends on a hosted server. It is still expensive game so I do not see people joining for the AI alone. I have been using AI to practice racing in a group, how to pass safely, using less-frequently rotated cars and tracks, and to learn to drive the more difficult cars (Porsche GT3 CUP - no ABS and no TC makes it a fun challenge). Current roster below:

Cars
Audi RS3 LMS TCR
BMW M4 GT4
Dallara F3
Global Mazda MX-5 Cup
Indy Pro 2000 PM-18
Kia Optima
NASCAR Cup Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
NASCAR Cup Ford Mustang
NASCAR Cup Toyota Camry
NASCAR Xfinity Chevrolet Camaro
NASCAR Xfinity Ford Mustang
NASCAR Xfinity Toyota Supra
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
SCCA Spec Racer Ford
Skip Barber Formula 2000
USF 2000
VW Jetta TDI Cup

Tracks
Atlanta Motor Speedway - Oval
Barber Motorsports Park
Brands Hatch Circuit
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Chicagoland Speedway
Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Grand Prix Pits
Daytona International Speedway - Oval, Road Course
Daytona International Speedway [Legacy]
Donington Park Racing Circuit
Dover International Speedway
Homestead Miami Speedway - Oval
Iowa Speedway - Oval
Kansas Speedway
Kentucky Speedway - Oval
Kentucky Speedway [Legacy]
Lime Rock Park - Grand Prix, Classic
Martinsville Speedway
Michigan International Speedway
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
North Wilkesboro Speedway
Nürburgring Grand-Prix-Strecke
Nürburgring Combined - Gesamtstrecke Long
Okayama International Circuit
Phoenix Raceway - Oval w/open Dogleg
Road America
Road Atlanta
Rockingham Speedway - Oval
Sebring International Raceway - International, Club
Summit Point Raceway
Talladega Superspeedway
Tsukuba Circuit - 2000 - Full
USA International Speedway - Asphalt
Watkins Glen International - Cup, Boot
WeatherTech Raceway at Laguna Seca - Full

#4546266 - 11/27/20 01:37 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Ah, thanks for that updated info Patrocles. It's nice to see that iRacing finally added AI cars.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4546270 - 11/27/20 01:51 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Ah, thanks for that updated info Patrocles. It's nice to see that iRacing finally added AI cars.

Because of the cost of buying cars/tracks I would never recommend iRacing for the AI racing alone since there are other games available for less money. I believe the AI in iRacing leans more to being a good component to retain current members or bring back non-active members that have already bought cars and tracks for online racing. imho,ymmv

#4546271 - 11/27/20 01:53 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland

Anyway, sorry to derail thread...back to F1 2020...

Anyone running an older Fanatec CSW V2 wheelbase and Fanatec pedals in F1 2020? Was it easy to setup the hardware? Did I read correctly that the game does not support mouse control?

#4546365 - 11/28/20 01:17 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I didn't even set my wheel up for this one. I'm using a controller. And I think you're right, that the mouse doesn't work in the menus. But I'm not sure. I just navigate with the controller.

Career update.... I finished the 2022 season with my second driver's title, by ten points over teammate Verstappen. I then switched teams to Ferrari. It's a big step back. I went from easily the best chassis on the grid to the sixth-best. And as feared, I replaced Lerclerc and not Kvyat. But this is fun, fighting in the middle of the pack again. Resurrecting a fallen giant. It would have been easier with Leclerc, but so be it. Leclerc went to Alpha Tauri, taking Gasly's seat, who left to take over my vacated seat at Red Bull. Red Bull are easily the class of the division after my involvement and no regulation changes at season's end. Alpha Tauri are also very strong along with Mercedes. Then there's all the rest.

Finished 8th in the season opener at Bahrain, and again in the rain in China. In both cases my strategy was off, pitting an extra time, which cost positions. In the third race of the season at Zandvoort I had a great drive in the rain to third. But Red Bull finished one-two and they'll run away with it this year I'm sure. Regulation changes are needed to bring the field closer together again. Hopefully we will see some here at the end of 2023.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4546384 - 11/28/20 03:15 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I didn't even set my wheel up for this one. I'm using a controller. And I think you're right, that the mouse doesn't work in the menus. But I'm not sure. I just navigate with the controller.

Career update.... I finished the 2022 season with my second driver's title, by ten points over teammate Verstappen. I then switched teams to Ferrari. It's a big step back. I went from easily the best chassis on the grid to the sixth-best. And as feared, I replaced Lerclerc and not Kvyat. But this is fun, fighting in the middle of the pack again. Resurrecting a fallen giant. It would have been easier with Leclerc, but so be it. Leclerc went to Alpha Tauri, taking Gasly's seat, who left to take over my vacated seat at Red Bull. Red Bull are easily the class of the division after my involvement and no regulation changes at season's end. Alpha Tauri are also very strong along with Mercedes. Then there's all the rest.

Finished 8th in the season opener at Bahrain, and again in the rain in China. In both cases my strategy was off, pitting an extra time, which cost positions. In the third race of the season at Zandvoort I had a great drive in the rain to third. But Red Bull finished one-two and they'll run away with it this year I'm sure. Regulation changes are needed to bring the field closer together again. Hopefully we will see some here at the end of 2023.

Thanks! I found a compatability chart at the codemasters forum and it says F1 2020 supports my wheel.

#4546513 - 11/29/20 08:01 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

This ain't no simulation in this clip...

Crash from today at the F1 Bahrain. Romain Grosjean's car splits in half and bursts into flames. Thankfully he made it out of the inferno with minor injuries.

Grosjean Crash

Last edited by WolverineFW; 11/29/20 08:01 PM.
#4546550 - 11/30/20 04:04 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I bought 2020 during the Steam sale so I'll be installing it tomorrow and checking it out.

#4546581 - 11/30/20 01:17 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was watching the race live and saw that crash. Amazing Grosjean walked away from it. During the broadcast they wouldn't show any replays for about ten minutes, I guess to be sure they weren't showing a fatality over and over? But I was annoyed that it took so long to see what had happened a second time because it was quite unexpected and spectacular live, but it took a long time to get a replay of the incident. As frightening as the crash looked, it was almost way worse as a marshall attempted to cross the track after the crash in front of the oncoming cars. This probably didn't make it in to the news footage, but you saw it during the race. It brought flashbacks of Kyalami '77. This cannot happen in 2020.

[Linked Image]

#4548341 - 12/13/20 01:40 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I bought 2020 during the Steam sale so I'll be installing it tomorrow and checking it out.

Great! I was so busy these past few weeks I forgot about the sale and game. I need to check if it is still available at discount price.

How is the game running for you? Solid framerates? My PC is getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak. I am running an Nvidia 1060 card and it can get a solid 60+ FPS in Assetto Corsa Competizione which is pretty demanding from using the Unreal game engine.

what controller or wheel are you using? Can you comment on the Force Feedback if you are using a wheel and pedals.

#4548371 - 12/13/20 07:48 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: Patrocles]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Great! I was so busy these past few weeks I forgot about the sale and game. I need to check if it is still available at discount price.

How is the game running for you? Solid framerates? My PC is getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak. I am running an Nvidia 1060 card and it can get a solid 60+ FPS in Assetto Corsa Competizione which is pretty demanding from using the Unreal game engine.

what controller or wheel are you using? Can you comment on the Force Feedback if you are using a wheel and pedals.

I was using an Xbox controller, which was suprisingly easy to drive with in the sim. I had thought it would be worse. I was using my laptop which has a GTX1070 and I did not have any issues. Pretty sure the game set the graphics settings to or close to their highest settings. I never checked my actual FPS but there was never any lag, ghosting or stuttering at all.

#4548413 - 12/14/20 04:12 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: Patrocles]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I'm playing the game with ultra detail settings and my frame rate is more than adequate. I believe the benchmark showed an average FPS of about 110 when I ran it. I'm using a Logitech G29 racing wheel and pedals and I haven't had to touch the default FF settings. I like the resistance I get from the default FF well enough!

#4548443 - 12/14/20 01:11 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
F1 2020 runs beautifully for me. I have a modest box, Ryzen 2600, 1660Ti and 16 gigs o'RAM. I'm not running a fps counter, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't pegged at 60 at all times on ultra. In traffic, in the rain. It is very smooth which is important in a racing sim with the action so close at times. Technically, I've had zero issues with this sim. Smooth and stable.

#4567485 - 05/06/21 03:08 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm still playing F1 2020, but the pace has slowed and maybe a couple races or so per month now as I have other irons in the fire. But I am posting because F1 2021 is around the corner, slated for a July release. With how highly I rate F1 2020, this purchase is a sure thing. And there will be a new feature, a two-player career mode. That sounds like a lot of fun, and I am wondering if there is anyone here who would like to form a team with me and run through several seasons. Obviously this takes a commitment, so I am not expecting much response, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Details of the new mode are sparse, but I expect it to work just like the current driver career, but with the ability to add a second player, either on the same team or as rivals.

My idea would be to pick a midfield team and take it to the top over a few seasons. McLaren, Alpha Tauri, Alpine, one like that. Doing it all with a teammate seems like a great experience. But to get through the sessions and seasons would require a commitment many won't want to make. Is there anyone who would? Settings can be hashed out, and we'll need to try the new version to get a feel. But I'd expect I would want to run it like I do my F1 2020 seasons, where I allow several driving aids but also run the AI at a fairly high pace. 50% race length to ensure pitstops are a factor. So each race event would take two hours or so, maybe run one race per week at a suitably convenient time. More often if we each can do so.

F1 2021 @ Steam

Portimao, Imola and Jeddah are added this year, but as post-launch free DLC. Imola!

#4567577 - 05/07/21 11:10 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'll be buying 2021 eventually but definitely not on release since I'm still knee-deep in 2020. I've also been frustrated with how the League mode works since my friend and I both got a "NO SHOW" for one of the races since we kept getting an error when we tried to progress from Practice to Qualify. There are still some bugs in 2020 that were not fixed.

#4567582 - 05/07/21 01:11 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It hinges on stable and reliable connectivity of course, and we can't know now how it will be. With how popular the sim is in e-sports you'd think that would be a top priority, but we shall see.

And it hinges on someone actually wanting to do this. I think it would be a blast, but I think finding a willing participant will be a challenge. Keeping one even more so smile

Well, regardless if this comes off for me, I'll be picking it up straight away.

#4567589 - 05/07/21 01:23 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It hinges on stable and reliable connectivity of course,

That's not even the main problem. Several times I've had a League session terminate because either Steam had a technical issue or the match-making service that Codemasters uses had a hiccup. How do I know this? Because the voice comms that I use to talk to my friend while we drive was never interrupted so I know it wasn't an ISP issue.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.