Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4545918 - 11/24/20 04:31 PM A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Now I know this has been a delicate subject in the past so let me start by qualifying that I am NOT putting down our beloved sim, and that I am fully aware that all sims have the occasional stutters and pauses and less-than-smooth visuals, and for a whole variety of reasons. I bring this up, again, as I have found a new and interesting correlation, (at least new to me anyway), and I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this. What the ‘this’ is relates to the truck convoys that spawn throughout the WOFF landscape.

While running my newly updated system repeatedly during work on my latest aerodrome mod I have seen, repeatedly, the micro stutters/mini pauses occur VERY briefly when a truck convoy spawns nearby, with said micro stutters/mini pauses then seen intermittently while the convoy is in the vicinity. Once the trucks have moved along the issue disappears entirely. I will add that the micro stutters/mini pauses are only a split second in duration, almost unnoticeable most of the time, (almost), and don’t show themselves more than two or three times in total while the convoy is nearby, and sometimes not at all. None-the-less, they are there about 6 times out of 10 when a convoy appears. Additionally, when working on my mods I create a custom Quick Scenario so that I can quickly jump into the sim repeatedly to check my work, which means there are no other flights or air activity other than the plane I am flying, so there is little stress on the system in this regard. I do have ALL the eye candy and visual settings max’d out, but even when I drop these down to the minimum the issue persists.

For reference, here are my new system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K Comet Lake, OC’d through the AI Suite to 5.0GHz
CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2 x 16gb) LPX DDR4 3200
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z490-A
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital BLACK 500GB SN750 M.2 SSDs ; 1 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA for onboard file storage
Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite
Video Cards: 2 EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultras with NVLink SLI Bridge
PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt
LG 34-Inch 21:9 curved IPS monitor with G-SYNC, 2560x1080 native resolution
Five large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, mobo, and card fans, (for a grand total of fourteen fans)
Saitek AV8R joystick
Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals
Track IR4 camera with latest IR5 software

I have the OS and other assorted programs on the C drive, and WOFF PE only on the D drive. Everything else in on either the old SATA drive or the 1TB external drive I have plugged in.

So then, has anyone else seen a similar correlation with the truck convoys when flying in the sim? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks and cheers!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4545922 - 11/24/20 05:30 PM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Have seen occasional micro-stutters within the truck convoys themselves, specifically the ones around 'dromes, but no observable correlation at least on my rig between such convoys and general micro-stutters. Come to think of it, I don't remember when I last saw general micro-stutters in WOFF while flying - although I am constantly running my WOFF GPU Tuner Patch (combination of base ver. 1.1.1, 1.2, and 1.4) and have had smooth flying ever since, and no blue triangles either. Thank you Panama Red for the initial BT/fps tweak that was an inspiration for my own further tweaks/tuner patches, for WOFF and WOTR, especially for AMD cards but should work well for other vid. card setups too.

Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4545982 - 11/25/20 02:30 AM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Thank you VonS.

RAF: As for micro-stutters, I have found over the years that the game micro-stutters when ever enough or certain new items are added to the game while flying, such as new squadrons taking off, large quantities of trees appearing on the horizon, populated airfields coming into view, etc. Since these items are generated by the 2002 CFS3.exe (which means CPU intensive) and must be kept track of even while flying within range even if you do not directly see it (which means GPU intensive) because it may be to your side or rear, the poor old CFS3.exe pipe line needs to "digest" the new items and it micro-stutters as a result. But then, since there is no free lunch, it is the price to pay for all the "immersion" of the WOFF visual world.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4545984 - 11/25/20 02:43 AM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks VonS and PR for your input, much appreciated. I too have noticed the issue over the years when new items appear as well. What I am finding interesting is that now with the new system the only time I am regularly seeing the micro-stutters is when the truck convoys appear, which leads me to think that they must require a whole lot of resources and clog the old CFS3 pipeline more than most other things in the sim.

#4545986 - 11/25/20 02:50 AM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Must be the liquid simulation of that Scotch inside the bottles within the crates on the flatbeds of all those trucks delivering it to all the squadrons.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4545989 - 11/25/20 02:55 AM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

That must be it Fullofit.

#4545992 - 11/25/20 03:06 AM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
mmmmmmmm Scotch

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4545996 - 11/25/20 04:32 AM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Lou

Yes I have noticed the same with truck convoys. It was a frequent experience while I was building and testing my Filescamp Farm/Izel airfields.

My system is not as robust as yours and those airfields are significantly detailed and tree intensive, all of which means there is just cause for stutters while all this loads. That said, I do believe the convoys add to the problem because there were occasions when, after everything had loaded successfully and the graphics were smooth, a convoy would appear and the stutters become evident.

Not a definitive test by any means, but I think you may be on to something.

Best Regards

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 11/25/20 04:32 AM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4546020 - 11/25/20 02:32 PM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Robert, thanks for weighing in here. As I say, with this new beast of a system I've built I am really seeing about nil when it comes to the odd micro-stutter, even with everything max'd out. The only exception, and it is a notable one, are the truck convoys. If I fly in an area were they are not, there is nary a hiccup to be seen, apart from the one or two I might get on the initial loading of the mission. But even those are much, much rarer now. This is why I am wondering just how many moving parts and facets there are in those convoys and if there might be a way to reduce a few without sacrificing the eye candy aspect. I don't really mind myself, my speculating is more for others running systems with lower resources that perhaps might benefit if the convoys could be shaved down a bit in terms of what they demand from the old CFS3 engine. Food for thought anyway.

And Burning Beard, I agree - scotch, mmmmmm. In particular a nice single-malt with a good 12 years or more behind it.

#4546025 - 11/25/20 03:36 PM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Lou

Hopefully OBD will read this thread and have a look at the issue when time permits.

As for your closing comment, my only response is

"Drewl, Drewl..." Must make a mental note to visit the cellar this evening! biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4547272 - 12/05/20 06:10 PM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: VonS]  
R.Talbot Offline
R.Talbot  Offline

Originally Posted by VonS
Have seen occasional micro-stutters within the truck convoys themselves, specifically the ones around 'dromes, but no observable correlation at least on my rig between such convoys and general micro-stutters. Come to think of it, I don't remember when I last saw general micro-stutters in WOFF while flying - although I am constantly running my WOFF GPU Tuner Patch (combination of base ver. 1.1.1, 1.2, and 1.4) and have had smooth flying ever since, and no blue triangles either. Thank you Panama Red for the initial BT/fps tweak that was an inspiration for my own further tweaks/tuner patches, for WOFF and WOTR, especially for AMD cards but should work well for other vid. card setups too.

Von S smile2

Not to hijack thread, maybe this is answered elsewhere, but I thought you needed all four GPU tuner patches activated in succession? (1,2,3,4)

Last edited by R.Talbot; 12/05/20 06:11 PM.
#4547284 - 12/05/20 07:59 PM Re: A possible new take on the occasional stutters in WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@R. Talbot,

The base level patch should be installed (1.1.1) - and always install higher-no. patches over lower-no. patches, but patches 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 are optional. Brief install info. below (full info. located under the "WOFF GPU Tuner" link in my sig. file).

-----
Brief install info.:

for the WOFF GPU Tuner patch, recommended install variants are ----->

base install - 1.1.1
ver 1.2 - means base install plus 1.2
ver. 1.3 - means base install plus 1.3
ver. 1.4 - means base install plus 1.4, or base install plus 1.2 plus 1.4, or base install plus 1.3 plus 1.4***

*** base plus 1.3 plus 1.4 is the best graphics-wise, base plus 1.2 is the best fps-wise, base plus 1.2 plus 1.4 is a good compromise between fps and graphics and is the one I mostly run in WOFF
-----

NOTE: as indicated in the brief info. above, installing 1.3 over 1.2 cancels out 1.2 and is an unnecessary install pathway; the 1.4 patch by the way tweaks the base 1.1.1 patch a bit more, for crisper graphics at distances (although they are crisp enough even without the 1.4 patch applied). Your install pathway has given you the best-graphics combo. anyway since you are essentially left with 1.1.1, 1.3 (that cancels out 1.2), and then the 1.4 patch that further modifies 1.1.1.

Happy flying and smooth FPS,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 12/05/20 08:06 PM. Reason: Edited info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans