Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4545765 - 11/22/20 09:48 PM Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
This is from a few years ago, but the race is in progress right now.

Amazing technology, beyond state of the art. Here's a short glimpse of what they are dealing with. Cruising at 18-25+ knots, the boats are capable of 35+ knots, but lots of stuff starts breaking then.

The current Hugo Boss was in the lead, but it had a structural failure and is attempting carbon fiber repairs at sea, by himself. You see, these nuts are racing around the world at breakneck speeds SOLO.

Hugo Boss site

Lots of related vids, different boats on YT. Just wow... ahoy

Click on the Alex Thompson racing at the top of the page above for all kinds of good stuff.

Last edited by Nixer; 11/22/20 09:58 PM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4545767 - 11/22/20 10:12 PM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
One more video and I'll leave you alone.

Update on conditions he just went dealt with passing thru a front.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4545976 - 11/25/20 01:24 AM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well he almost has it fixed, has been sailing for a couple of days in calm weather while continuing his repairs.

Another video, this time on the latest America's Cup boats. These things are almost aircraft vs sailboats.

The tech and the skills are amazing.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4545978 - 11/25/20 01:54 AM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I have to post a couple of more America's Cup boats vids, as they might as well be super high tech sailplanes as well as sailboats.

Also, like an aircraft, it looks like they can stall too! with no altitude for recovery...

I am going to follow the America's Cup this year. These boats are amazing. Something to do over the Christmas break.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4545993 - 11/25/20 03:27 AM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Watched quite a few of these new designs and they do quite literally do fly like a hydroplane with they way the direct the foils to keep the hull out of the water.
And do they ever move out. Wipe outs are spectacular.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4546657 - 11/30/20 10:10 PM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well poor Alex Thomson is packing it in, heading for Cape Town SA with an unfixable rudder. Bad luck for him this time around.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/2020/11/28/alex-thomson-ceases-racing-in-the-vendee-globe/

Meanwhile another boat reported taking on water some 550 miles from Cape Town. He has activated his Emergency beacon and the nearest racer is on the way to his last know position.

Gotta be lonely out there in a liferaft...

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4546659 - 11/30/20 10:31 PM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Crazy is a matter of perspective. Forty some-odd years ago I was watching mogul racing, which was relatively new at the time, with some friends. One of the guys said that it looked crazy and that you'd never catch him doing it and a couple others echoed the sentiment.

We were watching it because the winds were too high for us to skydive that day.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4546709 - 12/01/20 02:03 PM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by Nixer

Meanwhile another boat reported taking on water some 550 miles from Cape Town. He has activated his Emergency beacon and the nearest racer is on the way to his last know position.

Gotta be lonely out there in a liferaft

That's a massive NOPE from me. Nightmare fuel.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4546715 - 12/01/20 02:55 PM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Agreed Ajay. Too many of those "little" tiger sharks for me. winkngrin

Pretty much miraculously plucked from the sea at night, he's ok. Picked up in big seas, 30 kt winds by a very flimsy sailboat!

His boat broke in half and sunk in SECONDS!

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4546722 - 12/01/20 03:28 PM Re: Crazy People...or at least very, very brave and skillful [Re: Nixer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Wow, how he hopped up onto the roof to raise that flag at speed and under waves. Wow.

That's a man right there.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.