Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4545086 - 11/16/20 12:36 AM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Time to check how many eels we have left. The answer is, one for each of the four forward tubes, and a reserve under the forward casing, reloading which will be impossible in other than calm conditions in daylight. For the stern tube, there's one torpedo 'up the spout', a spare stored internally, and another under the rear casing. All in all, enough to wreak significant further mayhem. Fuel is plentiful so we can continue to hunt.

[Linked Image]

It's not long before we run into the second steamer - the one that was coming up behind our earlier victim.

[Linked Image]

In fact, in the murky conditions, he's actually sweeping past us before he's spotted. The bridge watch have been caught napping!

[Linked Image]

A surface torpedo attack is clearly the only option now. From the bridge, I'm soon tracking the steamer in the UZO.

[Linked Image]

The target is close but zig-zagging. I try to time the shot right and the eel races away, stopwatch counting down the seconds until the estimated time of impact, shown by the red hand.

[Linked Image]

Got him! A bit earlier than expected - he may have turned into the torpedo.

[Linked Image]

This one goes down quickly...

[Linked Image]

...and we race away into the darkness.

[Linked Image]

That was easy, despite the fact that he nearly ran us down! The lookouts will need to do a better job, next time, poor conditions or not.

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/16/20 12:37 AM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4545179 - 11/16/20 07:20 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Right, let's try another zig-zag search pattern, this time a short way to the west, the remaining legs back east, towards home. This will be the last one, I decide. I'm not a big believer in pushing my luck.

[Linked Image]

Just as I'm nearing the end of the last eastwardly leg with darkness falling again, there it is - another contact!

[Linked Image]

A relatively short dog-leg brings me onto a reciprocal course. Two hours later, there she is, off the port bow.

[Linked Image]

She's far enough away for me to get below without being spotted.

[Linked Image]

The unsuspecting steamer is fine off the starboard bow at under 400 metres when I decide it's time to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Got her!

[Linked Image]

Question is, will she go down or am I going to have to fire off another one of my dwindling stock of torpedoes?

...to be continued!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4545182 - 11/16/20 07:31 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
The merchantman staggers along, gradually losing way with her rear deck cargo burning.

[Linked Image]

There she goes!

[Linked Image]

The stern dips rapidly under, putting out the fire, but the vessel is clearly doomed.

[Linked Image]

Once again, there's nothing left by the time we're back on the surface.

[Linked Image]

Let's have a look at the tally. Eight small steamers, total just over 17,000 tons.

[Linked Image]

Easily the most successful patrol so far! I'm already beginning to think fondly of the welcoming party back at Brest, with eight pennants proudly flying and the band playing on the quayside.

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/16/20 07:32 PM.

#4545620 - 11/20/20 05:30 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Great stuff, as usual, 33Lima!

I may have to scratch that SH3 itch again myself.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4545729 - 11/22/20 10:56 AM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Thanks BuckeyeBob! Been away from SH3 a long time myself and I'm really enjoying it - more so than first time around, in fact!

The weather shows no signs of improving as U-100 ploughs on through the darkness, pitching and rolling, lashed by the relentless waves.

[Linked Image]

This has now become a significant problem. Not only can I not man deck guns, I can't reload my empty tubes using the last two spare torpedoes, which are located externally under the deck casing and need fair weather, time and a lot of heaving and hauling to lower into the torpedo rooms, using dismountable external brackets.

[Linked Image]

The officer on bridge watch is sensibly attired, at any rate.

[Linked Image]

Time to plot another course! Again I go for another zig-zag search pattern, to the west first then back east. I've already checked with the navigation officer and we have more than enough fuel left.

[Linked Image]

By early next morning, we have two contact reports to choose from - one to the south-east, and another to the north. I plot a course to intercept the latter, as it's closer.

[Linked Image]

It's only after daybreak that I realise I'm a bit off in my plotting, since my final leg is slightly offset from my target's reported track. Not by much, though.

[Linked Image]

We rattle steadily onwards, but here's nothing to be seen but empty horizons.

[Linked Image]

Poor navigation on my part? Inaccurate reporting of the contact? Or a change of course on her part? Whatever the reason, this one has got away!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/22/20 10:57 AM.

#4545743 - 11/22/20 05:14 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I plot another zig-zag course, back to the west, ignoring the old, fading contacts (one green, denoting a neutral vessel) and a distant one to the north.

[Linked Image]

That evening, another contact is reported, not far to the south. You'll do!

[Linked Image]

An interception dog-leg is soon plotted, this time more carefully...

[Linked Image]

...and some hours later, there she is, fine off the port bow and coming our way.

[Linked Image]

We don't seem to have been spotted, so this should be another good opportunity for a submerged attack. Down we go!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

#4545744 - 11/22/20 05:26 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I quickly pick up the target in the attack periscope. It's yet another small steamer, sailing independently. she's making a steady course and clearly has no notion that we're coming to get her.

[Linked Image]

After tracking her continuously for a while, I let fly with Tube 3 as the range comes below 800 meters.

[Linked Image]

Torpedo treffe!

[Linked Image]

She's on fire astern almost at once...

[Linked Image]

...and is quickly slipping below the waves, stern first.

[Linked Image]

We come to the surface to watch her end, but she's gone by the time we get there.

[Linked Image]

Considering we haven't met a convoy, this patrol is going rather well!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/22/20 05:27 PM.

#4545746 - 11/22/20 05:44 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I'm soon in pursuit of a fresh contact, a short distance to the west.

[Linked Image]

Another single steamer is soon in view off the port bow.

[Linked Image]

'Periscope depth!' Down we go, the control room watch intent on their work. The hydroplane operators should really be using the twin buttons above the centre of the back-up wheels they're using, but it's a small detail.

[Linked Image]

I turn to port and set up an attack with Tube 4.

[Linked Image]

Torpedo...los!

[Linked Image]

The second had on the stopwatch passes the calculated time of impact...nothing! Instead, the torpedo explodes well short of the target.

[Linked Image]

As the weather doesn't allow reloading the external reserve torpedos, that leaves the stern tube. Hopefully the boys back there will be glad of the action!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/22/20 05:48 PM.

#4545764 - 11/22/20 09:25 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
The steamer is doing 6 knots and we're making just 8 submerged, so it takes a while to get to the point the stern tune can engage.

[Linked Image]

But it's another miss! This time, the torpedo explodes beyond the target! Perhaps it's run under her keel, as she's pitching considerably in the stormy seas.

[Linked Image]

My last hope is the internally-stored reserve torpedo for the stern tube. By this time, I've got a lot of tired crewmen, so to ensure the reload can take place, I get the tired seamen into the accommodation areas and mame sure the stern torpedo room is fully crewed. The bow compartment is no use to me now and I leave it empty.

[Linked Image]

I see it'll take 11 minutes to reload. The turn away to bring the stern tube to bear cost me distance so I decide I'll have to come to the surface to catch this one. I can't run the electric motors at maximum revolutions without quickly draining the batteries.

[Linked Image]

So up we go, and start running down my intended victim.

[Linked Image]

Let them spot us and start zig-zagging; we'll just catch them more quickly!

[Linked Image]

There's not much for the bridge watch to do in the meantime.

[Linked Image]

This will be my last attempt, so it had better be a good one this time!

...to be continued!

#4545786 - 11/23/20 03:01 AM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Exciting stuff! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4545846 - 11/23/20 09:11 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Thanks Rick!

The range to the steamer winds down steadily. My plan is to turn to port to bring the stern tube to bear when I'm roughly abeam of her.

[Linked Image]

The steamer is by now definitely zig-zagging - and she nearly catches me out!

[Linked Image]

Having turned hard to port away from her, she's so close that I actually have to wait for the range to open out a little before firing. Which I do from under 400 metres.

[Linked Image]

Ka-boom!

[Linked Image]

I turn to starboard again, while the steamer is now on fire astern. Question is, will she go down? I've used my last internal reserve eel and it's too rough to man the deck gun, so this was my last throw of the dice.

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/23/20 09:13 PM.

#4545848 - 11/23/20 09:28 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
There's the confirmation. There's no way I'm going to be able to use the two external reserve tubes, unless the wind dies down and we find ourselves sailing suddenly in a mill pond.

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, the steamer ambles on, burning and slightly down by the stern, but quite unwilling to slip below the waves.

[Linked Image]

I even try to man the 2 cm flak gun, thinking that being up on the wintergarten, it might be usable in the stormy conditions. But no luck there.

[Linked Image]

I hang around for a while, in the hope the situation will improve.

[Linked Image]

Which it does - for the steamer. Seems the crew has been able to put out the fire. A plucky lot, on a lucky ship.

[Linked Image]

I plot a course for home. There's no point pottering about in the Atlantic in these conditions, effectively disarmed, happy though the hunting grounds have been.

[Linked Image]

Conditions are little or no better when daylight arrives. I won't even be able to load my last two torpedoes for self-defence.

[Linked Image]

Now, I just need to make it back to Brest!

...to be continued!

#4545961 - 11/24/20 09:58 PM Re: U-100 - fourth patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
As it happens, the trip back home is uneventful and conditions are more settled as the wintry French landscape comes into view.

[Linked Image]

The bridge watch are taking no chances with the weather, though. It's still very murky as Brest's harbour lights come into view.

[Linked Image]

We begin the passage between the protective mole and the port itself. Safe at last!

[Linked Image]

The quayside band plays, the bridge watch relax and we slip back into our berth. A final check confirms we were never close to being short of fuel. But there was no point using it up, cruising around in the open ocean looking for trouble, while hoping the conditions would mellow and enable the last two eels to be loaded.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, that's the best tally so far - eight ships sunk, no less, from ten days at sea!

[Linked Image]

The icing on the cake is that I'm awarded the EK1 and have some awards and promotions to hand out to my trusty crew.

[Linked Image]

Mister Churchill will be very cross! As for U-100, she's well on the way to making a name for herself - hopefully she and her crew will last longer that the real boat!

Last edited by 33lima; 11/24/20 10:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.