Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4544961 - 11/14/20 10:36 PM Next Version Upgrade Path?  
GrimReaper Offline
GrimReaper  Offline

Hello, I apologize if this has been discussed before, but after some searching, I couldn't readily see this topic discussed.

I know there is no release details on the next version, but was wondering it it had been decided how one would purchase it. Will it be a complete brand new purchase or will it just be a paid upgrade to the Platinum edition, meaning you need to own all other editions first?

Currently I only own the Ultimate edition and was thinking about purchasing the platinum edition, but I likely wouldn't do that if the new version will be a complete version buy versus requiring the prior versions. And if it is a total brand new purchase, would previous owners receive any discount? I know the game is good and this is not meant as a cost judgement on it, just trying to figure out best timing for me to jump back in.

Thanks for any help.

#4544974 - 11/15/20 12:08 AM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

As far as I'm aware, the next ver. of WOFF will require the Platinum Ed. level to be able to upgrade further. I'm sure that Pol/OBD will see your post eventually and offer more info. and details.

At any rate, I recommend getting the Platinum Ed. when you can since it is an improvement in several areas over the already excellent Ultimate Ed. - the next version of WOFF will not be out until 2021, by the way, so if you are impatient - as many of us are - the Platinum Ed. is a fine choice.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 11/15/20 12:32 AM. Reason: Tweaked info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4545013 - 11/15/20 10:53 AM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
GrimReaper Offline
GrimReaper  Offline

Thanks, I just wasn't sure how they were thinking of handling things as there are a few different scenarios for people.

Brand New Player = (UE $30 + PE $25 + New Version $$)
Existing UE Owner = (PE $25 + New Version $$)
Existing PE Owner = (New Version $$)

Will there be different upgrade costs for UE and PE owners since different situations? Will everyone just be required to make a brand new full purchase because so much has changed? I am not really complaining or concerned with what approach they make take, just trying to understand the plans to help me make the best decision on my path forward at the moment.

If it will be a brand new full purchase, I don't have a problem with that but I would likely wait to the new version comes out (although I realize it is sometime in 2021) since likely wouldn't make sense for me to upgrade now and then pay full price when the new version comes out. I have zero problems waiting.

But if there will be some comparable upgrade path that would encourage me to buy PE now, then I would strongly consider upgrading to PE sooner.

Appreciate everyone's help.....

#4545027 - 11/15/20 02:23 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Things are not fully decided at this point. We will look into it nearer the end and post the information of course.
The changes across everything in the sim are large so likely a full version but any upgrade options will be finalized and released nearer the time.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4545033 - 11/15/20 03:39 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: Polovski]  
GrimReaper Offline
GrimReaper  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
Things are not fully decided at this point. We will look into it nearer the end and post the information of course.
The changes across everything in the sim are large so likely a full version but any upgrade options will be finalized and released nearer the time.

Ok, thank you for the information, I suspected it was headed that route since so many new things, that is why I wanted to get an idea before I make my decision. I'll stay tuned for the future information....

#4545325 - 11/18/20 05:13 AM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Randomizer Offline
Randomizer  Offline

Vancouver Island
I never bought PE because there is nothing there that I want. I have UE running great so PE would be a superfluous waste of money. If PE becomes a prerequisite for WOFF-2020 (or whatever it becomes) the I guess I will give that a pass too.

-C

#4545339 - 11/18/20 01:01 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

We'll have to agree to disagree here Randomizer. I don't believe PE is a superfluous waste of money at all. There are some excellent upgrades in that edition, as there will be in the next. And if for no other reason, purchasing the new offerings as they are released helps to support a very small but dedicated dev team working on a shoestring budget to keep providing us with improvements to the best total front WWI combat flying sim out there.

Cheers,

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4545344 - 11/18/20 01:54 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
I agree with Lou on all points. The difference between UE and PE are many and I am sure the next upgrade will be even better.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4545345 - 11/18/20 01:57 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Everyone must decide for themselves if a product is worth their own hard-earned cash and reasonable people are free to disagree. Not for me to judge.

It is worth considering, in my opinion, that OBD is the last company standing actively producing more WWI flight sim content. Nothing has been announced anywhere else, so if WOFF doesn't get the support it requires, there's literally nothing else on the horizon to look forward to in terms of WWI flight sim goodness. Speaking for myself, I plan to keep supporting them because I want to help put off the day that the most recent expansion is the final one for as long as I possibly can.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4545351 - 11/18/20 02:38 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: Hellshade]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by Hellshade
Everyone must decide for themselves if a product is worth their own hard-earned cash and reasonable people are free to disagree. Not for me to judge.

It is worth considering, in my opinion, that OBD is the last company standing actively producing more WWI flight sim content. Nothing has been announced anywhere else, so if WOFF doesn't get the support it requires, there's literally nothing else on the horizon to look forward to in terms of WWI flight sim goodness. Speaking for myself, I plan to keep supporting them because I want to help put off the day that the most recent expansion is the final one for as long as I possibly can.

1000% with you on that one Hellshade. I got to enjoy WOFF for many years thanks to the generosity of the community here. I feel I owe it to OBD to buy some back copies of their latest offering when it comes out. There is simply not else left - and we are incredibly lucky to have a developer who actually caters to the offline, single player, sim fan.

#4545363 - 11/18/20 04:15 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Let me join Hellshade and the Captain on this one. Wings Over Flanders Fields is a time machine. If you are fascinated by Great War aviation and want some idea of the experience of combat flying in this pioneering age, it is unsurpassed. The combination of dedicated development, pursuit of historical accuracy, and sheer artistic talent that the tiny team from OBD Software represents is unlikely to appear again, and even more unlikely to share our passion for this subject and this era. When I consider the hours of pleasure delivered by the purchase of Woff UE and PE, no other pastime offers so much for so little. As Hellshade points out, we must each make our own decision about what entertains us and what it's worth. For my part, I am happy to contribute to every future development of this sim.

#4545372 - 11/18/20 05:10 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

#4545375 - 11/18/20 05:55 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Oh God Lou, you slay me every time, with your come backs!!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4545386 - 11/18/20 08:37 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
One item that isn't advertised "on the box" as it were is the amazing community here, as well.

I haven't been playing much WOFF in the past year due to real life getting in the way, but it is nice to always have this forum to check in on and see the exploits of everyone. Plus, the developers jumping in and answering questions like the one here and providing meaningful feedback to the community is just the best.

For that alone, I will be purchasing the newest version as close to day one as possible.

Now, to the mess. First round is on me.

#4545389 - 11/18/20 09:31 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Many excellent points here but Raine's resonates most profoundly for me. I've had OBD stuff since it was a free add-on but I never really understood until recently that WOFF truly is a time machine.

On the subject of value, I remember paying $1.50/hour to play Warbirds back in the day. I've said it before, and will again, quality costs money. To quantify WOFF, my current DID pilot has 315 hrs logged. Sure, some of that was time compressed but not that much. I'll guesstimate that's probably 225+ hours actual stick time. Well over $300 in late 1990s Warbirds money, and that's just in the last 8 months.

Where I used to live circa 2016, there was, amazingly, a mom and pop games store which against all odds had remained in business since the 1970s. On Thursday nights the Grognards would gather with their Napoleonic miniatures, percentile dice and and cloth tape measures. I used to buy stuff there that I might have had cheaper on the 'Zon because I knew if that place went under, there would never be another to take its place.

Each must make his own choice but we should recognize that a game like WOFF will almost certainly never come again. OBD are the last of the V-8 interceptors. Giving OBD my $ is like supporting that local games store. Keeping the magic alive.

Last edited by epower; 11/18/20 10:00 PM.
#4545390 - 11/18/20 09:43 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Epower Johnson is right about Raine Johnson being right!

#4545402 - 11/19/20 12:17 AM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
mandrews Offline
mandrews  Offline

South Carolina
Rabber.

Last edited by mandrews; 11/19/20 12:18 AM. Reason: 2 b's in rabber

i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD (OS) + SSD (Games), GTX 1070 Ti, Acer Predator Z35p 3440x1440 GSync
#4545423 - 11/19/20 04:20 AM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
My wife already know's that if a new version of WOFF is released, I'm getting it!
I will always support OBD. What a fantastic sim we have to enjoy! Keep up the good work!

#4545424 - 11/19/20 04:20 AM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

All great points, and while I've already given my "two cents" on the topic early on in the thread - thought I would pop in with an extra cent worth of commentary (three cents?) - namely:

If you are running AMD vid. cards, either on PC or Mac configurations, you will be well served with the upgrade from the UE to the PE ed. of WOFF. For the UE ed., while I had to keep terrain shadows off, and cloud shadows/density, also texture glossiness, set to about a value of 3 - to get rid of flickering - upgrading to PE solves those problems. Running terrain shadows now at a value of 2, cloud/shadow density and texture glossiness at 6 - and not a single flicker but smooth sailing (I mean flying).

(Further note: For those running WOFF on the Bootcamp side of your Macs - with AMD cards - also check the ver. of drivers you are using (I'm currently on ver. 17.x.x and doing fine, with ver. 1809 of Win10 and locked down). You may have to experiment with different ver. drivers for the AMD cards if running different setups and/or vers. of Win10. At any rate, I recommend avoiding those unofficial/"beefed up" variants of drivers for AMD if getting smooth flying in WOFF on standard drivers.)

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4545500 - 11/19/20 06:09 PM Re: Next Version Upgrade Path? [Re: GrimReaper]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi all I sincerely hope everyone is well. My 2p fwiw.
I along with many others have supported WOFF since wayyyy back. I’ve also purchased WOTR (il carry on fully supporting both sims) and I’m glad to see that Pol and Winder are hoping to jump into that after they’ve finished with this current update to what is arguably the finest ww1 air sim ever produced.

That said it’s been an unfortunate year for many, I myself have been quite lucky employment wise and have only lost roughly a month regarding furlough during Covid 19, but..there’s many many people who have been less fortunate than ourselves (my brother included) who’ve lost their jobs I’ve also lost 2 friends during these last 6 months due to the Covid pandemic and with Christmas around the corner there’s many people that are having an extremely tough time.

And so personally I’m hoping that the devs can do 2 versions..a “DLC” for people less fortunate than ourselves or with less spare money than some of us, and a full version for us that are able to afford to purchase said version.

Best regards and please stay safe everyone.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM