Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 235 of 366 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 365 366
#4544652 - 11/12/20 01:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Bob, only one year to go!

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4544696 - 11/12/20 05:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Then you can Groundhog Day it and start all over again!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4544715 - 11/12/20 07:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
From the poem "Wings of the Morning" by F/Lt Jeffery Day, RNAS – WOFF: Wings of the Morning

The poem captures the images and impressions one will get from the next version of this stellar simulation…

On the Wings of the Morning
By Jeffery Day

A sudden roar, a mighty rushing sound,
A jolt or two, a smoothly sliding rise,
A tumbled blur of disappearing ground,
And then all sense of motion slowly dies,
Quiet and calm, the earth slips past below,
As underneath a bridge still waters flow.

My turning wing inclines toward the ground;
The ground itself glides up with graceful swing
And at lane’s far tip twirls slowly round,
Then drops from sight again beneath the wing
To slip away serenely as before,
A cubist-patterned carpet on the floor.

Hills gently sink and valleys gently fill.
The flattened fields grow ludicrously small;
Slowly they pass beneath and slower still
Until they hardly seem to move at all.
Then suddenly they disappear from sight
Hidden by fleeting wisps of faded white.

The wing-tips, faint and dripping, dimly show
Blurred by the wreaths of mist that intervene.
Weird, half-seen shadows flicker to and fro
Across the pallid fog-bank’s blinding screen.
At last the choking mists release their hold,
And all the world is silver, blue and gold.

The air is clear, more clear than sparkling wine;
Compared with this wine is a turgid brew.
The far horizon makes a clean-cut line
Between the silver and depthless blue.
Out of the snow-white level reared on high
Glittering hills surge up to meet the sky.

Outside the wind screen’s shelter gales may race;
But in the seat a cool and gentle breeze
Blows steadily upon my grateful face.
As I sit motionless and at my ease,
Contented just to loiter in the sun
And gaze around me till the day is done.

And so I sit half sleeping, half awake,
Dreaming a happy dream of golden days
Until at last, with a reluctant shake
I rouse myself and with lingering gaze
At all the splendour of the shining plain
Make ready to come down to earth again.

The engine stops; a pleasant silence reigns-
Silence, not broken, but intensified
By the soft, sleepy wire’ insistent strains,
That rise and fall as with a sweeping glide
I slither down the well-oiled sides of space,
Towards a lower, less enchanted place.

The clouds draw nearer, changing as they come.
Now, like a flash, fog grips me by the throat.
Down goes the nose: at once the wire’s low hum
Begins to rise in volume and in note,
Till, as I hurtle from the choking cloud
It swells into a scream, high pitched, and loud.

The scattered hues and shades of green and brown
Fashion themselves into the land I know,
Turning and twisting, as I spiral down
Towards the landing-ground; till, skimming low
I glide with slackening speed across the ground,
And come to rest with lightly grating sound.

#4544719 - 11/12/20 07:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Raine- Lovely poem. I'd not seen that one before.

Fess up now. Have you been holding out on us as a secret Beta tester all this time?

Last edited by epower; 11/12/20 07:21 PM.
#4544725 - 11/12/20 07:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Oops -- posted in the wrong thread. And no, regrettably, not a beta tester...

#4544727 - 11/12/20 07:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by Raine
Oops -- posted in the wrong thread. And no, regrettably, not a beta tester...

In that case I want to know what you’ve been drinking, because I want some too.

#4544728 - 11/12/20 07:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Then you can Groundhog Day it and start all over again!

Bob, I might just do that. With that new tip to tip - all WOFF version we may all be hooked even deeper.

#4544730 - 11/12/20 07:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Totally going Foreign Legion character in that case.

#4544738 - 11/12/20 08:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Epower, would that be a character that is trying to forget about women? Women like Eliza or Clarissa?

#4544748 - 11/12/20 10:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
12 November, 1917 09:45
Saint-Loup-en-Champagne, Marne Sector
Jasta 19
Leutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM AO
81 confirmed kills

Zygmunt Hahn has now 81 confirmed victories. The two Nieuports and the SPAD had been all confirmed. The C.O. is making arrangements to celebrate.
In the meantime, today’s mission is to patrol enemy front lines between Guignicourt and Fismes. Ziggy would lead Tybelsky and Scheller, while Schwarm Eins would be led by Oberleutnant Schwind. He would have Mallman, Leusch and Rienau for company.
As the two Schwärme approached the city of Guignicourt, Ziggy spotted a flight of Nieuports above and turned towards them. One of the enemy planes detached from the formation and began to dive, then another. Zygmunt tracked the first one but was jumped by the second one. Hahn saw tracers go by his machine and initiated evasive maneuver but the Nieuport pilot was good and hit Ziggy’s plane with an impossible volley, then zoomed by just below the Albatros, so close Hahn could smell the cheap French wine on the other pilot’s breath. Zygmunt shook this attack off and continued to track his original target, but when the French attacker came around and put some rounds into Hahn’s machine again he disengaged immediately and went after the aggressive foe. It didn’t take long for Zygmunt to acquire his target and begin to retaliate with some well aimed shots of his own. He quickly noticed that there was another Albatros after his target, but it didn’t matter. He had to bring him down. After another successful assault the propeller on the Nieuport began to windmill. The two German pilots took turns finishing off the Enemy scout, but it was Zygmunt’s final salvo that caused the sesquiplane to crash into the bank of Aisne.

YouTube Link

The other German pilot formed up on Zygmunt. It was Tybelsky. He recognized the large black “T” on his fuselage. They were the only two left in the Kette. Scheller must have gone off chasing another Frenchie on his own. There was some commotion in the rear. Zygmunt noticed a dot approaching followed by bursts of Flak. Another Nieuport was approaching. Ziggy quickly turned his bird around, aimed and fired. There was no way of telling if he’d hit anything. In the meantime the French scout bypassed Hahn’s machine and went after Tybelsky. Zygmunt went after him to rescue his mate, but he was too far and he watched the Nieuport pilot send a series of volleys into the second Albatros. Ziggy finally reached them and fired at the sesquiplane to get his attention. He continued to fire until one of the Spandaus jammed. Zygmunt continued to fire with just the one gun and after a while he realized further attack was unnecessary. As he drew alongside the stricken Nieuport he could see the French pilot slumped in the cockpit with blood oozing from the wound in his back. His plane continued in a shallow dive and eventually crashed into the ground. With his wing perforated, low on ammunition and one of the Spandaus hopelessly jammed, Zygmunt decided it would be prudent to return to base instead of continuing with the mission over enemy territory. He picked up crippled Tybelsky on the way and the two Jagdfliegeren headed towards Saint-Loup.

YouTube Link

#4544752 - 11/12/20 10:27 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Running off to the Legion after getting dumped is a time-honored custom.

Simon Murray's classic "Legionnaire" starts that very same way.

#4544773 - 11/13/20 02:31 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert Harkonen
Underofficer
Jasta 33
Wynghene, Flanders

Victorys: 1
Claims:

Barrage Patrol : No Contact.

Line Patrol: Bagged a Sopwith. My kette of 5 a/c dove on 3 Camels below us at 1500 meters. The flight split everyone trying to get a score. I saw one flame the attacked another after a wing man made a high pass and zoomed , I closed and hosed him. Smoke then a small fire then wing over and down he went into the ground. On the down side, I was alone by then under cloud cover so No witness.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-11-12 18-00-16-07.jpgCFS3 2020-11-12 18-03-24-24.jpgCFS3 2020-11-12 18-07-23-16.jpgCFS3 2020-11-12 18-10-16-27.jpgCFS3 2020-11-12 18-12-24-48.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 11/13/20 02:33 AM.
#4544782 - 11/13/20 06:35 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Fullofit]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Fullofit
12 November, 1917 09:45
Jasta 19
81 confirmed kills

Zygmunt Hahn has now 81 confirmed victories. The two Nieuports and the SPAD had been all confirmed. The C.O. is making arrangements to celebrate.
In the meantime, today’s mission is to patrol enemy front lines between Guignicourt and Fismes. Ziggy would lead Tybelsky and Scheller, while Schwarm Eins would be led by Oberleutnant Schwind. He would have Mallman, Leusch and Rienau for company.
As the two Schwärme approached the city of Guignicourt, Ziggy spotted a flight of Nieuports above and turned towards them. One of the enemy planes detached from the formation and began to dive, then another. Zygmunt tracked the first one but was jumped by the second one. Hahn saw tracers go by his machine and initiated evasive maneuver but the Nieuport pilot was good and hit Ziggy’s plane with an impossible volley, then zoomed by just below the Albatros, so close Hahn could smell the cheap French wine on the other pilot’s breath. Zygmunt shook this attack off and continued to track his original target, but when the French attacker came around and put some rounds into Hahn’s machine again he disengaged immediately and went after the aggressive foe. It didn’t take long for Zygmunt to acquire his target and begin to retaliate with some well aimed shots of his own. He quickly noticed that there was another Albatros after his target, but it didn’t matter. He had to bring him down. After another successful assault the propeller on the Nieuport began to windmill. The two German pilots took turns finishing off the Enemy scout, but it was Zygmunt’s final salvo that caused the sesquiplane to crash into the bank of Aisne.

YouTube Link

The other German pilot formed up on Zygmunt. It was Tybelsky. He recognized the large black “T” on his fuselage. They were the only two left in the Kette. Scheller must have gone off chasing another Frenchie on his own. There was some commotion in the rear. Zygmunt noticed a dot approaching followed by bursts of Flak. Another Nieuport was approaching. Ziggy quickly turned his bird around, aimed and fired. There was no way of telling if he’d hit anything. In the meantime the French scout bypassed Hahn’s machine and went after Tybelsky. Zygmunt went after him to rescue his mate, but he was too far and he watched the Nieuport pilot send a series of volleys into the second Albatros. Ziggy finally reached them and fired at the sesquiplane to get his attention. He continued to fire until one of the Spandaus jammed. Zygmunt continued to fire with just the one gun and after a while he realized further attack was unnecessary. As he drew alongside the stricken Nieuport he could see the French pilot slumped in the cockpit with blood oozing from the wound in his back. His plane continued in a shallow dive and eventually crashed into the ground. With his wing perforated, low on ammunition and one of the Spandaus hopelessly jammed, Zygmunt decided it would be prudent to return to base instead of continuing with the mission over enemy territory. He picked up crippled Tybelsky on the way and the two Jagdfliegeren headed towards Saint-Loup.

YouTube Link

I have no idea how there weren't 100x more collisions in that video than there were! dizzy

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4544795 - 11/13/20 12:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Raine - As Epower said, lovely poem, mis-posted or not. Thanks for sharing.

Epower - If you do go the Légion étrangère route next time, you must also first read Bert Hall’s “En l’air!”, if you haven’t already done so.

Fullofit - I agree with Rick, some close calls in that first video. And had those two Nieups continued to tag-team Ziggy he may have been in some trouble. But when that first fellow scarpered I knew it was curtains for the one left behind. And you might call it taking turns, but it looked more like Tybelsky was trying to steal the kill to me. That second video was just brutal, Ziggy owned that Nieup.

Rick - Good to see you still dropping in to enjoy the stories. Stay a while, there’s a fresh pot of tea on the burner.

Carrick - Bad day for the crumpet eaters, good day for Rupert and his kette. That one screenie with the inverted Camel is excellent.

BuckeyeBob - It’s been Groundhog Day three times here in the DiD campaigns already! But I suppose we’ll have to do it again when the new WOFFiness is released. I think the next time we should go total hardcore and start in August of 1914, that’ll show who the truly barmy ones are among us.

#4544816 - 11/13/20 03:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
.I think the next time we should go total hardcore and start in August of 1914, that’ll show who the truly barmy ones are among us.

If we go that route, perhaps we should find a first person ground warfare game to simulate our time in the infantry before transfer.

Not read "En l'air. Just put it on the reading list for DID IV.

#4544819 - 11/13/20 04:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Hardcore ? If we had all the WWI a/c in the game maybe. But , we could go 2 seaters for the 1st year the gunners/ ob's then Pilots. or epower's suggestion.

#4544820 - 11/13/20 04:36 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Yup Carrick, two-seaters for the first four to six months, and it would need to be done with the mission editor and/or custom missions until the sim actually kicks in at the beginning of 1915. Or instead, again until early 1915, we have our pilots serve on the ground in one of the various armies, the Légion étrangère, or one of the several ambulance services operating at the outbreak, (the main ones being the French Army, Red Cross, St John Ambulance, Norton-Harjes Ambulance Corps, and the First Anglo-Belgian Ambulance Unit later called Friends' Ambulance Unit). There are MANY books written by men who served thusly, so plenty of background material to be found. Rich fields!

#4544831 - 11/13/20 06:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Depends on how long a break we want to take between campaigns.

Despite my poor performance in keeping up to date, I do think it best to have the day and months match so January 1, 2022 = January 1, 1915, for example.

We have a year or so to see what develops.

Edit: Just found this game. Any involved discussion of the game I'm linking here should probably go in a different thread but this one looks interesting now. Who knows where it will be in 12 months time. It's an option.
Beyond the Wire

Last edited by epower; 11/13/20 06:50 PM.
#4544846 - 11/13/20 09:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Rick, sometimes I wish we had an option to replay the movie from multiple angles to check how close it really was. Plus it would make for a better video. Thanks for looking in.

Lou, thank you for your comments as well. Two on the tail are still manageable, but with this upcoming new WOFF version things will definitely get more interesting. It used to be the entire enemy flight was after you. Now it’s limited to two. I hope the devs will be able to find a happy medium between fun and frustrating. Yes, in that second vid that Frenchie was too focused on Tybelsky, who had his bottom handed to him.

Epower, I have a feeling we don’t have to wait for DiD IV for Oliver to join the Foreign Legion. The way he’s getting treated by women he will soon enough finish there, or after the war if he survives.

Carrick, looks like that beer hall did Rupert some good, judging by the last mission.

13 November, 1917
Jasta 19
82 confirmed kills

Only one of the Nieuports could be confirmed from yesterday. There was no flying today due to bad weather. It was for the better. The hangover Ziggy was nursing from last night’s bash still lingered on.

#4544847 - 11/13/20 09:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: epower]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by epower

Those would be some pretty short careers I would expect.

Page 235 of 366 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics