Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 604 of 608 1 2 602 603 604 605 606 607 608
#4540193 - 10/10/20 06:00 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

I have been a bit under the weather and have stayed off the phone and other things.

Hopefully Roger is just going through a rough patch, and might, just might have started another medication.

I have tried to reach out but have only been able to leave a message.
Hope all is well with him. I will continue to reach out.

The pandemic and other things seem to be wearing us down. Hope we can smile as we come out of the tunnel.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4540215 - 10/10/20 10:35 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

It is hard to keep a cheery face in these times so I thought I'd just relate that the other day the RDAF celebrated its 70th birthday and I happened to be in luck and just the right spot as three F-16's flew by at low altitude right above my head. I was even so fortunate that I was travelling slowly on my bike and so able to come to a complete stop in a very short time, dismount and enjoy the fly-by. clapping I wasn't quick enough to get the camera out though.

I just came across a table of Danish expressions translated literally into English. I attach the file and hope it will provide a chuckle. I might add that if a Dane tells you that he or she is standing in the middle of the sauce that is an indication that they're very short on time.

On topic, which is rare these days, over in the screenshot thread I gathered that there is a Windows 10 solution possibly emerging for our venerable BoB II. It seems by applying this patch to a vanilla and stock install you'll get some of the later added improvements though not all. Most importantly, the improvements that broke the game in W10 are omitted.

Attached Files dksayings.jpg
Last edited by McGonigle; 10/10/20 10:38 AM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4540264 - 10/10/20 06:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Folks...

Very cold forecast of around 1C for this Sunday. Snow and sleet a possibility in Scotland. If it falls around these parts on high ground it will be 7 weeks earlier than usual. We tend to get a few flurries around the last week in November.

It only needs record snowfalls in December to cap a very unusual year - and that is quite likely I might say. darkcloud

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4540616 - 10/13/20 03:41 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Almost, but not quite envious of the threat of snow that's faced by Old Dux and the Scottish brothers.

I am a envious of the collection of books you have accumulated and passed on.

It should be the 18 degrees Centigrade for a high around here. Instead it was almost 96 degrees F as a high -with more moderate temperatures at 6 in the morning.
The taste of cooler temperatures has come and more is promised for next week.

As mentioned, I have been under the weather and only gone outside for the mail and a few sundry outings, so I have been more affected by the inside dust and the miserable spider webs that somehow manage to escape the mediocre vigilance of the house-bound.
I am grateful that I have not had the chance to meet snakes this year, outside and double-grateful for their absence inside.
Maybe the reports of bobcats and coyotes in the area should be more welcome.

I envy McGonigle's luck in catching a fly-by.

I tried hard to catch an earlier opportunity to see one when a "Thank You" to first responders fly- by was done earlier this year almost nation-wide. Should have been visible but...

On 9/11 we stood down and around ten am local time I heard the roar of jet engines at low altitude.
It sounded like a formation of two late-model aircraft and I ran outside for a glimpse but missed seeing them.
I realized it was a bit late but assumed it was related to the date and was disappointed not to have heard about the salute.

In this case my assumptions were wrong.
I later learned via the Next-Door app that the fly-by was a salute to an Air Force member that was buried that day. He was an Electronic Warfare Officer.
As a by, also virtually met in the same article another pilot doing the same job I had been doing at the same time at the same base in another state. I never knew him then, but apparently all three of us have lived fairly close to each other .
Small world.

Yes Sir. I did find the Danish expressions both funny and educational.

No news from Roger. His phone appears to have been turned off.
I keep hoping that is due to perhaps a change in treatment and he does not feel like answering.
I am well- acquainted with how badly a person can feel with chemo, etc. Thankfully not personally.

I will keep that same hope as long as I can.

#4541929 - 10/23/20 12:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I have been neglecting contributing for a while. Nothing much to say recently. I am just depressed with the world situation. I won’t bore you with a rundown of all the bad things; I’m sure you are all staring at them too.

On a happier note. I just finished my annual. This was a concern for me since there was a notice put out for owners of my airplane to check their wing carry-through spar and wing bolts. There was an issue with some Cessna 210’s having corrosion there and the 177 uses the same system as the 210. This worried me because with these older out of production aircraft parts is always an issue. And even if you could get the parts, the work involved in removing the wings to replace the spar would have been cost prohibitive. The check was not mandatory but recommended. Being the total care fanatic on the airplane that I am, I decided to do the check. This could mean the end of the planes flying.

Required removing a lot of interior panels and such and the plastic being so old I knew some would break. So I ordered some of the ones I figured would break. Fortunately everything was perfect. No corrosion and looked factory new. We cleaned and sprayed with Corrosion-X. The rest of the annual was good and with some new interior parts and a little TLC to the old stuff, my interior looks marvelous.

I’ve been doing a good bit of shooting. Helping some new people get started and selecting their first firearm purchase. My, my, my the cost of ammo has tripled. Several factors coming together to cause that. For my usual fun trips I am now shooting 22 cal since it is much more cost effective.

I was nominated to be President of our local chapter of EAA, but turned it down since I just wouldn’t be fully committed to doing it. I am either all in or not.

The weather here is wonderful cool mornings and high of 84 F during the day. Will be better as the day high will start falling into the 70’s. Having the convertibles makes this weather even better.

Getting old and starting to suffer with all the little issues of aging. But fortunately still in good health. Hope all of you are in good health. Really pulling for Rogers health to improve.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4542184 - 10/25/20 04:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Thank you for contributing and filling us in on your acitivities.

I hope you’re feeling better Fittop. In present conditions every sneeze is looked upon in a new light.

I’m glad to hear that your wings are still in excellent condition Oldgrognard, I seem to remember that airplanes don’t fly to well without them although I Saw a war time picture of a B-17 that still flew without her rear wings and tail section.

We are now no longer on Summer Daylight Saving time as the switch was made this morning. It is now dark at 4 pm. The weather is not too cold yet but temeratures are at 13 C and it is overcast and rainy. I am looking at the option of setting the indoor trailer up again, to get some pedalling done. Outdoors is not much fun in these conditions.

We all take comfort that Roger is in good hands and wish him a quick return to better health.

Last edited by McGonigle; 10/25/20 06:53 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4542188 - 10/25/20 04:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

OG: Congratulations on getting annual done and glad the machine is in good shape.
Always nice to hear from you.
My dreams of getting an airplane come and go. Yes, you also helped convince me to give a good look at Cessnas.

But I'm getting a bit old now, so with the airplane fever diminishing, I'm limiting myself to virtual flying.

There are no news on Roger that I can get. The phone is turned off.
I have even tried to leave e-mails to his son, but so far no answer.
I will respect their privacy and not bug him.
Hopefully Roger has turned off the phone, He had been having problems with it.

Having had the sad news of the death of a classmate's wife, I also got into what I assume is Roger's local paper.
The good news is no news there either.
But nothing is guaranteed, so feel like I'm in a Limbo of some sort.

So Roger, if you are around and can read this, please drop an OK with us.

Meanwhile, to all that may run across this, keep the blue side up and in case we don't touch base, have a safe and good Halloween.

Edit:

As I posted, noticed that McGonigle had had the same idea.
Glad to see you Sir!
Yes, I am better now being careful with the upsurge in cases around.
Had a friend that went through what I think Roger may, just may, be experiencing with the effects of treatments.
Driving her for the chemo shots she confessed it not being fun and feeling like even not talking on the phone a few days after as the shot took effect.
This went on for the better part of a year.
So I am remaining hopeful.

#4542847 - 10/31/20 02:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Halloween is here and under tonight's full moon there will surely be some ghosts and little witches and angels with flashlights looking for some treats.
Around here the temperature will cooperate.

Unfortunately, current conditions have made it advisable that this house bypass leaving the light on for the little ones tonight.

The least of those conditions is that according to the quality control test that is usually run on the goodies given out; some merchants seem to have trotted out last year's bounty.
The tests had to be run another time and the rest is probably no longer returnable.
They are in my opinion, definitely not passable to little ones who deserve better.

After the holiday, the merchants of such trashy products will definitely get a piece of my money.

Enjoy the Blue Moon and have a safe and bountiful time.

#4544052 - 11/08/20 03:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Good morning to all. Good News.
Finally got to hear about Roger. Just got a note from his son answering my email.
They are OK, and Roger is OK.
Son say Rogers is still bored and of course, they won't let him come home, and he has no computer there.
Wish at least he could have a tablet there. Might be slow typing though.
Security is probably the reason they are not allowed gadgets. One would hate to find one missing for whatever reason.
Have not figured out why his phone is off.

Guess he could be mad at me or his service provider has changed or upgraded.
I know my phone will have to be upgraded by next month , probably due to the 5G change.

Doesn't seem to make sense, the old flip top is unaffected but smart phones are? Hmmm.
I might go back to flip tops. Like them anyway and I sure don't watch movies on a phone or play games on it.

#4544062 - 11/08/20 04:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
If it isn’t too much; what is ailing Roger ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4544314 - 11/10/20 04:17 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Do not want to leave this hanging, but you need to know.
Roger went in for a medical condition, and they are working on that but they found another serious one.
I have not gotten his permission to disclose it in public so I''ll keep his confidence.

Your good thoughts would be and are appreciated.

Last I heard, they are working on it. He is walking around and bored without a computer.
There is more in above pages.

When I have his permission and more, I'll pass it on.

#4545394 - 11/18/20 10:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents

Thanks for that Fittop. Obviously, the only thing we can do is to continue with our best wishes and keep in touch with Roger.

I have been distracting myself as best I can by building a model locomotive test track which utilises some of the buildings and rolling
stock which I have accumulated over the years. This includes a controller which I bought in '61/62 and never got to use on an established layout.

Then there is guitar practice at home and PC gaming, some mildly strenuous walking to keep the old legs going but little else other than TV.

Fittop,

Roger gave me T's email quite a while back but I mislaid it. I know he wanted to ask certain things about bass guitar at that time.

If you can PM me with that info I will send him a message. yep

Manfred von Richtofen

#4546130 - 11/26/20 01:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Time for a lifesign from li'l old me, having taken the step to cut the cord as they say; not renewing my cable subscription as the price/content ratio was now becoming ridiculous. So I'm getting ready for no cable-TV from 1.1.2021 and experimenting with apps and an indoor antenna. Finding from my experiments that with my old DVB-T2 active antenna with 22 dB amplifier and my TV supposedly supporting MPEG4 coding, the technical prerequisites should be met. I emphasise the word should. I can't get a signal though.

So far I'm trying to verify that the above mentioned tech specs are correct, that the antenna does work, and that my information regarding the TV's MPEG4 support is correct. If the TV vendor confirms that the TV which is from March 2017 indeed does support the necessary coding format, the next logical step seems to try another antenna. Oh the joys of being your own TV and antenna troubleshooter.

In other news..... Well, I get a few miles in on the bicycle or the trainer, as weather permits. It gets dark about 4 pm so the number of daylight hours is rapidly diminishing.Your remarks concerning model trains Dux, have me thinking about setting up the old Märklin model train set and some of the slot track sets I played with during my adolescence. There is a Märklin Carrera slot track set, an old Heller set (quite rare) and the Aurora set which you might have heard of. It's the one with simulated groundeffect done with magnets. My fear is that all these sets might need new coals for the electro engines to run properly, and where does one find vintage coals I wonder?

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4549807 - 12/26/20 03:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

Best hopes that the Christmas spirit has not left mankind, including all those who frequent here.
My wishes that all have had a Very Merry Christmas and are using the two weekend days to rest and rejoice.

I also hope that it was a successful holiday with family, friends old and new, and may the worst part be that wrapping paper is the only debris from the holiday.

It is hard to believe it has been a month since new words were posted here.
No, it is not a month since anyone peeked in since I am surely not the only one that does that with good intentions to contribute something.

Yes, we do miss Roger's writings and No. Haven't heard from him or T in a bit. But pretty sure they are busy with Christmas and the everyday challenges.

Model trains do have a fascination for me and I envy the talent of you guys.

I do remember buying the boy a small train set for Christmas.
I think it was kidnapped by his mother and I have no earthly idea what happened to it.
Things seemed to disappear back then when I was on a work trip so I imagine it is in a similar place as my favorite swivel chair.

These days I no longer need a resident magician to make things disappear as I have gotten fairly accomplished at making my coffee cup or my glasses vanish myself.
My new talent is finding them... In the micro in the case of the coffee cup and aside the keyboard is a likely place for the glasses.
What I do need is a place to hide the mounting paperwork. It has been suggested that I read it first and then...No, I can't say that in SimHQ.

Enjoy the weekend, folks. We need to gather strength to hang calendars and relearn the old old songs and dances for New Year's Eve.

#4550418 - 01/01/21 09:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

My best wishes for a Happy New Year to all of you.
May 2021 be a great year for all of us.

No news from Roger or his son, but I keep hoping they are all OK.

#4550440 - 01/02/21 07:03 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I got my new TV antenna and it works fine. The older one apparently wasn't quire up to the latest tech. requirements. I am now waiting and ready for the Telco to drop the cord. It might be that the change will be effective from monday.

New Year's eve I spent with a couple of friends and I meant to stay the night but unfortunately it turned out the house cat favored the room where I was meant to sleep for it's day-long naps, so in spite of me having taken anti-histamines to combat my cat allergy, I had to evacuate at 03.00 a.m. and head home with a 65 minute drive in front of me. Luckily the elephant sitting on my chest started to ease off some 15 minutes into the drive and I felt much better at the end of the drive.

I'm looking to scrap my old Win 7 rig because it is now really showing it's age by turning itself off every time I ask it to do something more demanding than browsing or keeping up with correspondence. Writing zip files or copying larger files to the network seems to be too taxing for the old system which I got on the release of Windows 7 back in the late noughties. The big question now is what to do henceforth? I'm no longer gaming and Im writing this on an older Mac which is no longer supported with updates. While I like the Mac being silent and offering a more refined experience than it's Windows PC counterpart, I'm used to the Windows centric software utilities like MP3Tag, 7zip etc being familiar in use and also freewareware. Some of the corresponding software for Mac costs money. As you might know, I'm not a fan of Windows 10. I was set for replacing the ageing Mac with a newer version but then came across reports regarding the new iMac Minis, promising exceptional performance from the M1 processors for an acceptable price and with the future promise of being able to also run Windows better than any current bootcamp/Parallels alternatives. Decisions decisions...

It isn't a question of money because I've got enough. More, it is a question of me being a cheepskate and always looking for the best deal, which in turn might explain why I do not experience any money woes.

Last edited by McGonigle; 01/02/21 07:05 AM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4552907 - 01/20/21 03:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Greetings, Y'all,

Belated as my wishes may be for a great New Year, they remain sincere.

I remember the last upheaval about television. Always wondered why the European TV scenes seemed sharper, but it was a small question.

Then the evolution hit the US and we were running looking for converters or new TV sets. Well, some were.
I was OK since I did remember the black and white, snowy sets even with roof antennas that had to be adjusted in New York City and it was not a requirement for me have a great picture to follow the action. Not that big a fan of TV anyway.

OK, HD was a hit to me, as were any sets larger than the 19" and I did need a new set anyway when the change to digital came.
Yes, off-the-air HD is sharper than the cable version.

They seem to be doing the same with cell phones? Had to ditch two perfectly good phones because of 5G?
The telemarketers don't sound any better.

I am also a fan of the Mac minis, but haven't unzipped the pocket yet.
I do lay greedy eyes on the 21.5" iMac we got her for her birthday. But I want the 27" model or the mini mac.

Sorry about your allergies, McG. We have one of those creatures and I already have a friend that can not come to visit because of that.
At least that's what he says, grin.

#4553055 - 01/21/21 02:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Greetings chaps,

It would appear that I have now completed 20 years before the mast but sadly without our founder member SNAFU and chief scribe Roger.
All original posters, of which there were a multitude, now long gone to pastures new.

I am confident that there will eventually be another BoB sim in the years to come, hopefully within my lifetime. Pilot career, everything flyable, ab initio training and OTU skill assessment, command promotion etc., all to a greater degree of historical accuracy than anything thus far attempted.

Here's to the next 20 years. :rolleyes old_simmer :

Manfred von Richtofen

#4553203 - 01/22/21 03:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

What I forgot to mention in my last message was that I'm quietly hopeful and looking forward to the resurrected Microprose working on a new iteration of The Mighty Eighth. While certainly no BoB - and I share your belief Dux that there will be another BoB sim and I might add my own wish for another outing for my old Dawn Patrol/Flying Corps, the strategic bombing war while bloody and gruesome has also always held my imagination,.

Apparently the new sim will not only contain virtual B-17's to fly but also B.24' and according to rumours even the Avro Lancaster will be included as a flyable. Considering the legacy and legend of the Lanc I feel it has been woefully under represented in sims often relegated to third party add-on's, commercial as well as freeware.

The home-trainer is bust, has gone for a Burton, has ceased to exist. If Roger were here to comment he would indubitably remark that I must have run the poor thing into the ground from pedalling too hard and too long, but not so. I don't know if I lost it doing an official firmware update or if it was going even before that. I had suspected that something was wrong prior to the thing going completely bust because it seemed to me that the resistance from the motor-driven roller was not there.

I contacted the company but as the trainer was just about 3 years old the 2 year warranty had expired. They offered me a tiny discount if I bought a similar trainer (new) or a similar one to my own model (possibly refurbished?) for the same amount that I would have to buy a brand new one with the discount. Considering the overall experience of having a home trainer in the house and the relative light use I put on it due to preferring the outdoors, I won't take their offer which seems less than generous to me.

Fittop, your remarks regarding not needing a better picture to follow the action is close to my own perception that a better receiver does not improve upon the content. It seems the best TV content I can get these days is a 4K video of for example Florence. Next best thing to being there.

Last edited by McGonigle; 01/22/21 03:09 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4553554 - 01/25/21 01:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Jens,

Thanks for the heads-up on the forthcoming Microprose B17 sim. I will be following that progress with great interest, especially having played both B17-1 and B17-II over 20 years ago!
The forum posts in those days often started at a rate of two or three pages per day. Same with BoB.

Looks like the Lanc will be included because it mentions night ops! And how about Mosquito pathfinders and target illumination sorties! Bring it on!

I have a new Thrustmaster stick/throttle combo and it will be used for that. I changed my mind about the new Microsoft 2020 sim for the time being at any rate.

Manfred von Richtofen

Page 604 of 608 1 2 602 603 604 605 606 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.