Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hi Folks
I'm finally getting around to starting the flaps and trim article. I need some hard data on flap performance.

I need sustained performance numbers for all the flap settings for a given aircraft. The more aircraft, the better...WW2 and jet sims.

The basic technique is to fly a level turn while increasing G until your speed begins to decrease. The objective is to document how the sim aircraft flys with flaps down.

My desired conditions are:

1. Low altitude. Below 1000' AGL.

2. Medium altitude. 10,000' AGL (WW2)
20,000' AGL (jet)

3. Full military power. 100%, but no WEP or A/B.

4. Configuration. Clean.

5. Fuel load. 50% if possible.

6. Turn rate. Hold the turn for 360 degrees. Note the time it takes to complete the 360 degree turn.

Do the tests with all flap settings (zero to full). Maintain level flight while slowly increasing G until the speed stabilizes. For WW2 aircraft, I suggest you begin at about 250kph/150mph. For jets, about 200KIAS should work.

One aspect that is important is to note what effect flap extension has on the approach to a stall. As you approach the stall, lower the next "notch" of flap and see if this causes the stall indications to go away. Don't be surprised if they don't. Note this one way or the other.

Send me the info at alfakilo@charter.net.

In return. I'll put your name in lights and enshrine you forever into the Good Guy Hall Of Fame!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#45441 - 05/20/02 03:10 AM Re: Flight Test Help Needed  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andy Bush:
Hi Folks
I'm finally getting around to starting the flaps and trim article. I need some hard data on flap performance.

I need sustained performance numbers for all the flap settings for a given aircraft. The more aircraft, the better...WW2 and jet sims.

The basic technique is to fly a level turn while increasing G until your speed begins to decrease. The objective is to document how the sim aircraft flys with flaps down.

My desired conditions are:

1. Low altitude. Below 1000' AGL.

2. Medium altitude. 10,000' AGL (WW2)
20,000' AGL (jet)

3. Full military power. 100%, but no WEP or A/B.

4. Configuration. Clean.

5. Fuel load. 50% if possible.

6. Turn rate. Hold the turn for 360 degrees. Note the time it takes to complete the 360 degree turn.

Do the tests with all flap settings (zero to full). Maintain level flight while slowly increasing G until the speed stabilizes. For WW2 aircraft, I suggest you begin at about 250kph/150mph. For jets, about 200KIAS should work.

One aspect that is important is to note what effect flap extension has on the approach to a stall. As you approach the stall, lower the next "notch" of flap and see if this causes the stall indications to go away. Don't be surprised if they don't. Note this one way or the other.

Send me the info at alfakilo@charter.net.

In return. I'll put your name in lights and enshrine you forever into the Good Guy Hall Of Fame!

</font>

Andy, Id like to take part in the tests. Tell me in CFS2 would you prefer me to use Bears 1% aircraft or the stock models?

I'll also do it in Il-2 and B-17 II if you like. I don't know much about the B-17 II flight models for fighters but I can give it a try.

#45442 - 05/20/02 03:10 AM Re: Flight Test Help Needed  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Double post.

[This message has been edited by Neptune (edited 05-19-2002).]

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.