Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 233 of 366 1 2 231 232 233 234 235 365 366
#4543197 - 11/03/20 03:55 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert Harkonen
Underofficer
Jasta 33
Wynghene, Flanders
Nov 3, 1917.

Chased a lone Camel away from our Balloon. I didn't see the kill as they went low level over the trenches I climbed for height then returned to cover the Gas Bag.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-11-02 19-32-41-74.jpg
#4543228 - 11/03/20 12:45 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick – That’s some gloomy weather there around Wynghene.

Epower – Playing catch-up? I can empathize. The hurrier I go the behinder I get.

Raine – Some smart calculating on Vogel’s part, being able to cut off that low SPAD as he did and make it number 63 on his tally sheet. But a close one for him there on the 1st, he was lucky to get back on the ground in one piece. To the reading material in his hut, it’s funny how often supposed sin is more interesting than proposed salvation.

AceMedic88 – Your latest accounts of Feldwebel Eberwein are first-rate. A close one for him as well with that emergency landing in the cow pasture on the 29th. Well done on his first confirmed victory, and a Camel at that. And with his hut mate on the mend perhaps his coughing will be gone and your man can get a solid night’s sleep.

Fullofit – A big congrats on Ziggy’s promotion to Hauptmann, a well-deserved bump. Bad luck though with those wing failures on the Dr.1s. Fokker’s engineers must be getting sloppy. As for that elusive eighty mark, I’ve no doubt the Kaiser’s newest Hauptmann will reach and surpass it soon enough, just a soon as the weather improves and the enemy returns to play.

Lederhosen – A quiet month for Willi from the looks of it. Nothing wrong with that, in particular given the fact that he has already flown 300 missions, a very impressive accomplishment. The war does not appear to be going away anytime soon so things will likely get plenty busy for him again.

MFair – Condolences again on the loss of your Ivan. Off to join the Choir Invisible.

A most enjoyable catch up this morning folks, thanks as always for the ripping yarns to go with coffee!

#4543253 - 11/03/20 05:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

RAF Lou: so far its been Rain of gloomy weather with Jasta 33. The Tommie's are reporting Breezier conditions so it may change.

Attached Files 7ef46dd5f7b82f965b0bead84687da0a--carol-kirkwood-marilyn-monroe-dresses.jpg
#4543254 - 11/03/20 05:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair:

Ivan may have went down in our sector We need to look, I heard he had a Gold Watch.

Attached Files dawnerol fynn.jpg
#4543258 - 11/03/20 06:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Ace, mighty sporting of Eberwein to let that SE5 go. Hopefully one day that pilot will return the favour. And finally Zanthier is over his illness. Jasta will finally get some use out of that man.

Raine, that’s a nice screenie. I like the angles that make this image anything but static.
Well done on that SPAD. Those devils are difficult to catch when they’re running for home. That was a close call with that Camel chipping away at the poor Albatros. They’re getting better I must admit.
Sixty-three, eh? The way it is going right now for Ziggy, Vogel will be nipping at his heels in no time.
I haven’t connected it before, but you’re right. There is no way Hahn will score with Nadette around. Something’s gotta give.

Epower, what’s going on with Oliver? Is he still attempting to disgrace himself by offending the King?

Lou, I have a feeling the enemy is all around but not in the mood to play. Now, when is Freddy back in action? I hear his getting an upgrade to his new aerodrome.

Carrick, I think weather is the least of Rupert’s problems. There’s them thieves around stealing dead men’s gold watches. Be careful.

3 November, 1917 09:00
Ceurne, Flanders Sector
Jasta 36
Hauptmann Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM AO
78 confirmed kills

Today Jasta 36 was on patrol of enemy front lines near Menen. They’ve gone up and down searching for the enemy, but were not able to find any. Another flight of Albatrosen lazily crossed their path a couple of times, but that was it. Zygmunt’s frustration was starting to show.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4543340 - 11/04/20 04:30 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Good thing Rupert cant tell time.,but he does have a silver shot cup for measuring Vodka.

Last edited by carrick58; 11/04/20 04:36 AM.
#4543341 - 11/04/20 04:33 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert Harkonen
Underofficer
Jasta 33
Wynghene, Flanders
Nov 4, 1917.

Scramble was the word ,but stood around till the motors were warm. All three of us were off at about the same time then circled up to 8500 meters. Nothing to be seen so we stooged around for 27 mins then landed. What happened to the enemy flight ?

#4543452 - 11/04/20 09:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: carrick58]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by carrick58
Good thing Rupert cant tell time.,but he does have a silver shot cup for measuring Vodka.

Carrick, You get the silver cup after your first confirmed kill. Rupert will have to work hard to get one of those.

4 November, 1917 09:00
Ceurne, Flanders Sector
Jasta 36
78 confirmed kills

It was another day of intense fighting. The pilots were fighting boredom with all their might. Another uneventful patrol above the observation balloon near Rumbeke. No enemy planes have been sighted and the entire Jasta returned home without seeing any action. At least Ziggy’s office is clean and tidy.

#4543458 - 11/04/20 10:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Seems a little barbaric to use a silver Kill cup for Drinking

#4543464 - 11/04/20 11:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I think it's even more barbaric to use it to measure vodka.

#4543498 - 11/05/20 03:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ok, We will switch to Whiskey

#4543499 - 11/05/20 03:20 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert Harkonen
Underofficer
Jasta 33
Wynghene, Flanders
Nov 5, 1917.

Barrage Patrol: Dove on a couple of Recon types managed to get a few shots off 48 Rds of 8mm then wing mate hammered him . The Tommy left a smoking trail spinning down on our side of the lines. The other a/c got away in the clouds

Attached Files CFS3 2020-11-04 19-02-04-29.jpgCFS3 2020-11-04 19-05-27-66.jpg
#4543587 - 11/05/20 07:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Carrick, Rupert is lucky to find so many targets in all that cloud and rain

Lou, thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to catching up on Freddie's adventures. I'm sure he is finding that crimson ribbon to be a dolly magnet.

Fullofit, Ziggy is having an unusually dry period. But Hans-Dieter will need some cooperation from the claims gods to narrow the gap!

Epower, good to see you dropping in for our necessary classical infusion. I can't wait for the next instalment of Oliver's adventures.

AceMedic, great job this past month introducing Eberwein. He seems like a mature and thoughtful pilot with great prospects for the future.

Vogel is departing his luxurious life at Roucourt. I did not see this one coming!

Tagebuch of Oblt. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel

Jasta 12, Roucourt, France

Part 51

2 November 1917

Cold wind and rain – what a blessing! I slip my greatcoat on over my pyjamas and head downstairs to find a pot of strong tea on one of the tables. On days like this I always enjoy a hot drink and a smoke and a good chat with Immer. It hits me on the way downstairs that such a morning will not happen today. Immer did not return from his flight yesterday after chasing a Bristol over the lines. Mueller was on the phone half the evening, but now we have given up hope. We have been talking about a dinner in town to celebrate my sixtieth victory. The plan was to hold it on the first day of bad weather but with Immer gone I am not in the mood for celebrations.

Klebauer, one of the new fellows, and Neckel are toasting bread by a roaring fire. I pull up an armchair and Neckel passes me some bread and a toasting fork. Our conversation drifts to a discussion of the war in the East. Neckel has read somewhere that some Russian soldiers are refusing to fight and that their government might collapse. We speculate that a Russian collapse could release hundreds of thousands of soldiers to support our battle against France and England. If that happens, this could be our last war winter.

Mueller is already hard at work and interrupts us to pass me a message received a short while ago. I read it and curse. We are being ordered to relocate to a new aerodrome at Erkegem, near Bruges. I retire to the front room to study the maps and send for Steinmesser. A few minutes later Steinmesser arrives downstairs in his pyjamas and we discuss the breaking up of our happy home. Steinmesser will have wooden pens built for the back of his “extra” truck to move our pigs and cattle. He will first bring them to Brother Bernard and ask the monastery to care for them until we have made arrangements at Erkegem. We may be under canvas there so we need to secure our special supplies until we are settled. Steinmesser goes to get changed.

Mueller and I discuss the move. He will leave this afternoon with an advance party. He will allocate hangars and buildings and bivouac areas, and requisition billets if needed and possible. We will thin out our technical equipment and supplies and begin moving our lorries north, leaving only the bare minimum at Roucourt for transport on Sunday, 4 November. We discuss the breakdown of our office and transport of mess furniture belonging to the pilots. All pilots will be ordered to pack and mark their personal kit today, and a lorry will be laid on tomorrow morning to move it north. We are to keep only what we can carry behind the seats of our machines.

After about an hour of this there is nothing more to be done until a bit later, so I return to bed.

3 November 1917

The weather begins to clear in the afternoon and we move to the pilots’ hut at the field. Already some of our hangars are empty. A corporal comes to disconnect the telephone and I send him away, telling him to come back after dinner tonight. It is well that I did so because minutes later the phone rings. Enemy machines are approaching from the south. The mechanics begin warming the engines as we clamber into our flying gear and climb the ladders to the cockpits.

As soon as we take off, the crump of anti-aircraft fire alerts us to a cluster of little black dots against the cloud to the south of our field. We climb at full throttle. It is soon clear that these are French two-seaters. They drop their bombs from about 2000 metres. The target seems to be the château rather than the aerodrome. Fortunately, none of the bombs hits the building, scattering instead along the laneway that heads to the farms. Two of the Frenchman show some fight while the others run for home. Neckel and I collaborate on forcing one of the machines to low level. I dive on it and fire several long bursts, clearly doing damage. As I turn away and pull up there is a smell of petrol. I see a thin film of fuel on the floor of the cockpit and immediately switch off the engine and turn gently back to Roucourt. Neckel chases the Frenchman back over the lines without success.

[Linked Image]
"Fortunately, none of the bombs hits the building, scattering instead along the laneway that heads to the farms."

4 November 1917

Moving day is here at last. After stuffing kit (and at least one dog) into our machines and making some last-minute arrangements, we prepare to move. Six of our eleven machines take off at 8:30 AM. I get ready to leave fifteen minutes later along with Klebauer, Hoffmann, Neckel, and Schobinger.

It is a fine morning with only patches of cloud. We turn north and climb as we go, passing over Lille with its classic star-shaped fortress. A group of machines appears from the west and we turn to meet them. They bank and turn north. We see the black crosses on their wings and the black tails – they are our colleagues from our own Jasta. Ewers is leading them and has taken them over the lines, possibly chasing something. They head north-east, the most direct route to Erkegem. I take my little group a little more to the north-west, looking for customers. We are getting close to our old hunting grounds near Menen. I sense some movement against the dark earth below and bank my Albatros for a better view. Two observation machines are circling our aerodrome at Halluin. They are green and purple rather than British brown – friends. But then I spot another machine, and this one bears the red, white, and blue cockade of the British flying service. It is a Camel, intent on surprising our two-seater comrades. Immediately I throttle back and begin a steep spiral dive. The English machine spots us too late and runs for the safety of his own lines. I am quickly on top of him and Neckel is close behind. I fire a long burst and the Camel staggers to the left as I flash past. His left lower wing is shattered and looks ready to fall off. I watch as the machine lurches sideways ever lower and finally crashes on the banks of the River Lys west of Halluin.

[Linked Image]
"I fire a long burst and the Camel staggers to the left as I flash past."

Neckel gives me a thumbs up that he will confirm the crash. This will be number sixty-four!

We follow the lines north to Aertryke, where we turn east toward our new home. We have scarcely begun this last leg of our trip when a large formation approaches above and to our right. These are Bristols, fast and manoeuvrable English two-seat fighting machines. The enemy is keen to scrap and dives on us immediately. We are outnumbered eight to five, and each Bristol has a forward firing machine-gun and one or two guns firing to the rear from a flexible mount. For a while I have my hands full with a pair of these beasts. At last I get to fire a few rounds at one and he breaks away toward the west. Alone now with the second machine, we circle about. I need to keep dodging to throw his rear gunner off. I try to force him to haul his gun around from one side of the fuselage to the other. I know it is tiring work.

I manage several bursts from medium range. The British pilot is competent and continually dives and turns, throwing off my aim. Finally I catch his observer searching over the wrong side of his cockpit. I close quickly, firing all the way and break off beneath the Bristol. The enemy machine spirals down as I zoom up. Turning about, the Bristol is nowhere to be seen. I dive low to the earth, hoping to silhouette it against the sky. Nothing! After several minutes of searching, I climb and begin circling the entire area, looking for wreckage. I must have downed this machine, yet no amount of searching reveals where it has disappeared to.

Time to go home. As I approach aerodrome a lone Bristol appears ahead and to my left. The late afternoon sun is behind me so I turned directly toward him. As he passes in front, my twin Spandaus rake the Bristol from nose to tail. I turn behind him. His observer is a stout fellow – he opens up with an accurate burst that hits my left planes. I dip down under his tail. From this position, which I maintain only with difficulty, I fire four or five more bursts. Frustrated, I close to 25 metres and fire once more. This time, however, the observer gets a telling shot at me. Most of the fabric on my left upper wing is torn away and several ribs show damage. I turn away gently, expecting at any second that my machine will break up.

I look back to see that Neckel has appeared as if out of the clouds and is finishing off my Bristol. I am past caring. My Albatros, like the faithful steed she is, is holding together. The minutes tick away as I approach the distant chimney smoke of Bruges and see a line of hangers by a long straight country lane – Erkegem.

The mechanics run to my machine as I bounced to a stop in front of a row of canvas hangars. They curse and nod their heads at the sight of my shattered machine. Feldwebel Grier swipes a finger over my gun muscles and holds up the blackened digit. “How many this time, boss?”

“One for sure. Maybe two,” I reply.

[Linked Image]
"They curse and nod their heads at the sight of my shattered machine."

But then he gives me the bad news. “We have lost Klebauer,” he says. “Hoffmann too. And the other flight lost Holch and Kuchler.”

Four men gone out of eleven. This has been the worst day for the Jasta since I joined. I thought that Erkegem was in a quiet sector.

Attached Files Bombing at Roucourt.jpgKill 64.jpgLanding at Erkegem.jpg
#4543612 - 11/05/20 11:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, dark times for Jasta 12. that’s for sure. Four pilots lost in one outing. That’s worrisome. The English continue to maintain the upper hand. Vogel was lucky to come out of this engagement alive. Time to start playing it safe. Congrats on the Camel and one more, maybe two.

5 November, 1917 09:00
Ceurne, Flanders Sector
Jasta 36
78 confirmed kills

“- Nothing?” Müller inquired as frustrated Hahn walked away from his Albatros after their latest mission, patrolling over friendly aerodrome at Kruishoutem.
“- Nothing!” Zygmunt responded taking his flying helmet off and tussling his sweaty hair. “- It’s almost as if the enemy knows where we’re going to be and avoids our Schwarm.”
“- Do you think someone is leaking information?” Müller was toying with the idea.
“- One of ours? I doubt it. I trust my men.” Ziggy dismissed the notion.
Müller stayed behind scratching his head. There had to be more to this.

#4543625 - 11/06/20 01:01 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Raine: U Tore up that Camel

#4543626 - 11/06/20 01:04 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, poor Ziggy is having no luck at all! Vogel is still a long way off, but catching up is not quite as impossible as it seemed a week ago.

Tagebuch of Oblt. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel

Jasta 12, Erkegem-Oostkamp, Belgium

Part 52

6 November 1917

We are alerted by our own ground observers to approaching enemy aircraft. The army has twice promised to have our phones connected but despite Mueller’s many complaints, we have only a single line to the small brick house in the village where we have set up our office. So far, only Mueller sleeps there and the rest of us are under canvas.

I sit anxiously in the cockpit waiting for the engine temperature to rise. At last we are ready and I signal for the chocks to be pulled away. As I clear the row of trees beyond the end of the field I glance upwards and behind I see that the enemy is already here. There are very many of them – the newest SE types, fast and rugged. I spiral about, waiting for the others to take off and form up. It would do no good to be caught here, separated from the rest of the Staffel. Now the English come, dropping like gannets. The first seconds are a blur and then the fight sorts itself out. I see to my dismay that I have acquired two of the English machines. For several minutes our struggle is purely defensive on my part. At one point, one of the SEs puts a half-dozen rounds through my right planes. Fortunately, the Albatros is still responding normally to the controls.
After perhaps ten minutes of circling and climbing and weaving, one of the English machines departs for home. I stay with the second. This fellow has made the mistake of losing altitude with me and turning too much. My machine can turn tighter than his. His advantage is speed and he has wasted it. At length I get a shot from behind and below and slightly to his right. My rounds strike home and the Englishman’s manoeuvres become more awkward. He tries to break away, but I hit him from long range and he foolishly moves his machine about rather than simply outrun me. I close the gap between us and fire again. This time I see a trickle of flame emerge from the right side of the enemy’s engine. The SE dips, trailing smoke, and crashes several kilometres west of Aertrycke.

[Linked Image]
"This time I see a trickle of flame emerge from the right side of the enemy’s engine."

I return to Erkegem. My Albatros is badly holed but nothing vital has been smashed. Leutnant Becker confirms my SE. He was several kilometres further west and returning home when he saw the trail of smoke as it went down. When we finally get a day off, I will celebrate sixty-five victories.

We have company in our new home. Jasta 17 has also been transferred here. Their Staffelfuehrer is Julius Buckler. He already has about twenty-five victories and is making a fine name for himself. Another working-class boy, he was a roofer before the war. I am still standing beside my Albatros when he approaches and introduces himself. He invites me for breakfast. I am impressed that they are even able to have breakfast so soon after arriving, but he assures me that they have already set up a rudimentary Kasino in the village. I am envious. Steinmesser has gone to Courtrai to check on our livestock and will be back at lunch. We will have to compete with our neighbours!

Attached Files Kill 65.jpg
Last edited by Raine; 11/06/20 01:05 AM.
#4543656 - 11/06/20 03:56 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert Harkonen
Underofficer
Jasta 33
Wynghene, Flanders
Nov 6, 1917.

Up covering A F's from the Tommies. Long Boring Patrol at 9000 meters. No Contact We were spread out in Echelon Right for better spotting by order of the Jasta Fuehrer

Attached Files CFS3 2020-11-05 19-34-18-72.jpgCFS3 2020-11-05 19-34-43-87.jpg
#4543765 - 11/06/20 08:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, Vogel should easily catch up to Hahn with his current kill ratio, which is at a solid zero for a while now. It appears Hans is keeping his mechanics busy these days. And what about Steinmesser? Will he rise to the challenge and reciprocate with a feast to remember for Jasta 17? That’s Ziggy’s old outfit, you know.

Carrick, you won’t find too many planes at 9 km AGL.

6 November, 1917 09:00
Ceurne, Flanders Sector
Jasta 36
78 confirmed kills

This morning they were sent to destroy an observation balloon near Ypres. Everything went according to plan and the gasbag went down. Unfortunately no enemy units were seen in the vicinity. Zygmunt was beginning to agree with Müller. There had to be a spy. But who? The only people who knew the destination of next day’s mission were him, Müller, pilots involved and the mechanics. Could it be one of the grease monkeys? Could it be Müller himself?!

#4543767 - 11/06/20 08:33 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Good stuff everyone. Real-life decided to throw a wrench into my free time so I hope to be catching up soon. Keep up the great stuff and stay safe up there.

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4543768 - 11/06/20 08:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: Oopsm meant to type in 3000 sorry.

Page 233 of 366 1 2 231 232 233 234 235 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM