Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4543284 - 11/03/20 08:35 PM Tips on Radio Usage?  
That_1_Trains_Girl Offline
That_1_Trains_Girl  Offline

Hey there!

First of all, glad to be here. I've joined here specifically for WOTR, and I am loving the sim so far. It's excellent. However, I do have a question, which is about how to use the radio. I usually fly with the HUD completely hidden, which includes the TAC, and as far as I know, it shows the results of various messages there. When asking for a vector, the TAC tells me that I cannot do that unless I am flight lead. However, if I get far away enough from my flight, I can use it. Which is a little confusing.

I bound all the radio controls I could, such as answering in the negative, asking for help, or splitting, and what I would like to know is, is there some kind of rule of thumb or guide on when and how to use radio commands? Is watching the TAC the best way to fly? I'd ideally like to get good at flying with no HUD at all, as I said before.

Thanks!

"The air is the only place free from prejudices."
- Bessie Coleman, the first African-American woman to become an airplane pilot, 1921
#4543324 - 11/04/20 02:28 AM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
77_Scout Online content
77_Scout  Online Content

Vancouver Island, Canada
Kudos for flying with no HUD ... that is more realistic and less begineer-ish!

I also fly with no HUD ... just following the rest of the flight and staying in formation is sufficient to find your way to the mission objective.

The only radio command I ever use is the 'help' request.

As far as I know there is no need of the 'negative' command and such because the leader never really tells you to do anything that would require a response.

I have also never had the need to 'split' or 'vector' as those are flight leader commands and I typically follow.

Glad to hear you are having fun!!

#4543348 - 11/04/20 09:40 AM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: 77_Scout]  

Originally Posted by 77_Scout
Kudos for flying with no HUD ... that is more realistic and less begineer-ish!

I also fly with no HUD ... just following the rest of the flight and staying in formation is sufficient to find your way to the mission objective.

Yeah! That's how I've been doing it more or less, and if I happen to lose visual of the flight, I hang in the area until I see them and if I don't, I fly back home. it's always easier to do so than to go looking for fights against very much more powerful German fighters on my own. I'm glad, however, to hear that the TAC is not a necessity. I learned how to fly HUDless first in DCS (because there isn't one, by and large), and then in IL-2 and ever since then, any kind of UI element feels obtrusive.

- Bessie Coleman, the first African-American woman to become an airplane pilot, 1921
#4543349 - 11/04/20 09:43 AM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Glad you made it smile

If you call for a Vector as flight leader, you get the response in the TAC (the voice over the radio is for immersion/effect but the details are in the TAC).
If you are too far away from your flight you become detached so end up being a flight of 1… and of course you lead that.

Split is useful if you are the leader for example, returning home due to damage or engine failure whatever. Then the rest of the flight won't follow you back to base - another AI pilot will take over the flight and will carry on to find/attack the target.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4543352 - 11/04/20 09:56 AM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: Polovski]  

Originally Posted by Polovski
Glad you made it smile

Thank you! winkngrin Glad to be here!

Originally Posted by Polovski
If you call for a Vector as flight leader, you get the response in the TAC (the voice over the radio is for immersion/effect but the details are in the TAC).
If you are too far away from your flight you become detached so end up being a flight of 1… and of course you lead that.

That explains so much. Since I had the TAC turned off, and the voice return was garbled, I assume I was experiencing a radio failure. I suppose if one gets separated, it pays to use the TAC, at least as a means of seeing subtitles. On that note, can one hide plane icons on it altogether? So it can be used as just a place for you to read the radio chatter.

#4543407 - 11/04/20 05:17 PM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You can cycle the TAC to show "ground objects" whatever so you don't see aircraft. Or you can change the range shown to a small range so you only see aircraft on there that are very near.
Using the TAC is covered in the WOTR FAQ on the support page. I also added a few comments to it just now.

(section 28, and 20 for example).

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4543408 - 11/04/20 05:21 PM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: Polovski]  

Thank you! This helps a bunch!

#4544093 - 11/08/20 07:03 PM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Since TAC can be turned ON/OFF (Shift+T), use this for simulate the "Teleflex" lever - set the radio in "receive mode", after send the request for "Ground Control" so you can see the message, after set you radio in "transmite mode" again (turn off TAC).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sokol1; 11/08/20 07:17 PM.
#4544120 - 11/08/20 11:43 PM Re: Tips on Radio Usage? [Re: Sokol1]  

#%&*$#, this is a great idea! I hope they get this switch to animate when pressing the bind, too. That'd be great.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.