Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4543214 - 11/03/20 11:36 AM Re: Former Sub Commander rates Sub movies/shows [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
U-571

A joke of a movie. That one is purely popcorn summer flick entertainment.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4543272 - 11/03/20 07:08 PM Re: Former Sub Commander rates Sub movies/shows [Re: F4UDash4]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by CyBerkut
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
I had the impression subs were claustrophobic and dirty from movies but was surprised by the room inside and clean it was.

I'm sure that really mostly applied to WW 2 subs.

Yes, the old diesel boat sailors lived in much more spartan conditions. Having a nuclear reactor meant we generally had plentiful electricity and steam, which enabled such things as a bigger hull, better lighting and a better ability to make more fresh water. Fresh water was still a precious commodity on our Permit class boat, but not so rare and dear as it was for the ol' diesel boats. Air conditioning and precipitators made for better air, but we still had a marked aroma when we got back from sea. There was no escaping the atomized hydraulic oil and (back then) cigarette smoke in the air, but I'm sure it was worse for the diesel boat guys.

If you ever get to the Groton / New London area, tour the submarine museum and the U.S.S. Nautilus which is tied up there. The Nautilus was basically a diesel boat hull converted for a nuclear reactor propulsion system. So you still have somewhat tighter quarters, but many of the improvements that nuclear power enabled. The museum has the twin screws from my one-of-a-kind design sub, the U.S.S. Jack, there as well. We were a Permit class sub, but we had a unique propulsion system.

Very interesting read about your sub! Made me do some looking, found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/submarines/comments/f7otut/counterrotating_propellers_of_thresherpermit/

Have you looked at any of the recently released Thresher documents, or is that something you'd prefer not to read?

Nice find! Thanks! That was some interesting information on screw noise. We were always told the main purpose with going to the contra-rotating screws with the direct drive was to get rid of the reduction gears, which is a major source of noise. Unfortunately, with that arrangement comes a lack of clutch mechanism, which negates having an Emergency Propulsion Motor. So all we had for back-up propulsion was the Secondary Propulsion Motor, which could be extended out of the bottom of the hull. On most boats, that was only used for maneuvering to, and away from, the pier. We could get a whopping 3 knots out of it. When we had the forward thrust bearing wipe, we were headed back east at 3 knots... until we hit the gulf stream... and then we were just station keeping until a sea going tug got out to us to tow us in.

I don't mind reading about the Thresher. It is a terrible thing to contemplate, but I came to terms with that a long time ago. I don't know if any of the recently released documents tell us anything that those of us in the submarine service had not been made aware of before.

#4543294 - 11/03/20 10:01 PM Re: Former Sub Commander rates Sub movies/shows [Re: Patrocles]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
I enjoyed K-19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-19:_The_Widowmaker

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.