Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4543288 - 11/03/20 09:26 PM Living up to my username  
That_1_Trains_Girl Offline
That_1_Trains_Girl  Offline

Since I'm new here, and because of my namesake, I wanted to share some of my favourite shots from Train Simulator 20xx/Railworks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, a lot of leading line shots...not the most creative. hahaha

"The air is the only place free from prejudices."
- Bessie Coleman, the first African-American woman to become an airplane pilot, 1921
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4543289 - 11/03/20 09:29 PM Re: Living up to my username [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Hi and welcome to SimHQ! thumbsup

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4543290 - 11/03/20 09:39 PM Re: Living up to my username [Re: Chucky]  

Originally Posted by Chucky
Hi and welcome to SimHQ! thumbsup

Ta' very much! Happy to be here.

- Bessie Coleman, the first African-American woman to become an airplane pilot, 1921
#4543323 - 11/04/20 02:07 AM Re: Living up to my username [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Nice shots! How detailed is the terrain as you ride along? How long of a ride does it actually support?

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4543351 - 11/04/20 09:50 AM Re: Living up to my username [Re: Arthonon]  

Originally Posted by Arthonon
Nice shots! How detailed is the terrain as you ride along? How long of a ride does it actually support?

Thank you! winkngrin I spend obscene amounts of time taking photos in RailWorks.

That all depends on the route. The terrain detailing on most routes is a little motley, especially when you stop the vehicle, but unless you are stopped, it shouldn't make much of a difference at all, and it looks realistic enough to be believable. As for route length, it varies. Generally speaking, very few scenarios which come even with the longest of routes are longer than 2 hours, meaning that, on some of the absurdly long ones, you'll often only cover a small part of the entire track. This is probably because said routes can take 8 hours end to end, and without much to show for it. To give you a rough estimate, however, I'd say that the average route is between 90 and 110 miles long if it is some kind of mainline, or between 40 and 50 for smaller, regional ones. The two longest ones by a country mile are The Canadian Mountain Passes: Revelstoke to Lake Louise - a whopping 155 miles end to end. With an average speed limit of about 45 miles per hour - and the 199 mile Worcester to Mossel Bay run in South Africa, with an even lower top speed limit. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone attempting an end-to-end run on either.

Last edited by That_1_Trains_Girl; 11/04/20 09:51 AM.

#4543434 - 11/04/20 07:09 PM Re: Living up to my username [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Nice to see some train sim pics here! And that NSE livery managed to make even slam-door EMUs look good.

My only TS20XX route is London to Brighton, which I also have for MSTS - played these days in Open Rails. The better MSTS routes look better and run more smoothly in OR, some support superelevation, and while lacking 3d cabs, aren't hugely inferior to TS visually, IMHO.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4543446 - 11/04/20 08:45 PM Re: Living up to my username [Re: 33lima]  

Originally Posted by 33lima
Nice to see some train sim pics here! And that NSE livery managed to make even slam-door EMUs look good.

Hah! Funnily I like my old NSE toothpaste tubes. They're among my favourite liveries, just because of how colourful and out there they are.

My only TS20XX route is London to Brighton, which I also have for MSTS - played these days in Open Rails. The better MSTS routes look better and run more smoothly in OR, some support superelevation, and while lacking 3d cabs, aren't hugely inferior to TS visually, IMHO.

See, I tried OpenRails but I couldn't wrap my head around how to set it up, and I struggled with finding MSTS addons for it. Then again, at this point, I'm 220+ DLC into RailWorks so I think I've found my sim of choice there, foibles and bugs and all. London to Brighton is an excellent route, though! I love my slam-doors.

#4543484 - 11/05/20 01:03 AM Re: Living up to my username [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Vince H Offline
Vince H  Offline

Columbus, OH by way of Aiken, ...
Very nice shots That_1_Trains_Girl. And welcome in.

#4543485 - 11/05/20 01:06 AM Re: Living up to my username [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Gosh! That's a LOT of DLCs!

MSTS add-ons for use in Open Rails I had a few off, and picked up more, cheap, on eBay, plus more still for free on UKTS, despite slow d/l times; this one being Dorset Coast Route v.6, featuring Clapham Junction If I recall right.

[Linked Image]

Also have most editions of Trainz, up to TSR 2009 - where else can you drive the Cercanias EMUs you rode on between Malaga and Fuengirola during hols in the Costa del Sol (pre-Covid of course).

[Linked Image]

Anyway keep the train sim pics coming - we need some relief from all the gratuituous violence!

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4543500 - 11/05/20 03:22 AM Re: Living up to my username [Re: That_1_Trains_Girl]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by That_1_Trains_Girl

Thank you! winkngrin I spend obscene amounts of time taking photos in RailWorks.

That all depends on the route. The terrain detailing on most routes is a little motley, especially when you stop the vehicle, but unless you are stopped, it shouldn't make much of a difference at all, and it looks realistic enough to be believable. As for route length, it varies. Generally speaking, very few scenarios which come even with the longest of routes are longer than 2 hours, meaning that, on some of the absurdly long ones, you'll often only cover a small part of the entire track. This is probably because said routes can take 8 hours end to end, and without much to show for it. To give you a rough estimate, however, I'd say that the average route is between 90 and 110 miles long if it is some kind of mainline, or between 40 and 50 for smaller, regional ones. The two longest ones by a country mile are The Canadian Mountain Passes: Revelstoke to Lake Louise - a whopping 155 miles end to end. With an average speed limit of about 45 miles per hour - and the 199 mile Worcester to Mossel Bay run in South Africa, with an even lower top speed limit. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone attempting an end-to-end run on either.

Thanks for the info! I haven't really considered a train simulator, but it sounds more interesting after reading your info.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4543520 - 11/05/20 11:43 AM Re: Living up to my username [Re: 33lima]  

Gosh! That's a LOT of DLCs!

Yeahhhhh, I have a problem... help

MSTS add-ons for use in Open Rails I had a few off, and picked up more, cheap, on eBay, plus more still for free on UKTS, despite slow d/l times; this one being Dorset Coast Route v.6, featuring Clapham Junction If I recall right.

Honestly, as someone who really doesn't care about graphic fidelity in simulators, these look amazingly detailed, especially for something that old! I'm willing to bet the physics are better than the RailWorks stuff too.

Also have most editions of Trainz, up to TSR 2009 - where else can you drive the Cercanias EMUs you rode on between Malaga and Fuengirola during hols in the Costa del Sol (pre-Covid of course).

You know, RailWorks is a sim I wouldn't recommend to anyone for many reasons, but I think the most prominent one I can think of is the absolutely catastrophic lack of routes outside of a few select countries. We're seeing more of China and Canada these days, which is great, as I love China and Canadian mountain ranges are some of my favourite in the world, but I really want something more Central or Southern European, like Spain, Italy, or Greece. I have a TGV Route but that one is a catastrophe, honestly, one of the worst DTG's ever done.

Thanks for the info! I haven't really considered a train simulator, but it sounds more interesting after reading your info.

Happy to help! I even considered making a YouTube video series of recommendations for RailWorks. With this many DLCs, it could help a lot of people, I feel. Not a lot of accurate info out there as to the quality of some of the DLC.

Last edited by That_1_Trains_Girl; 11/05/20 11:43 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.