It's 65% off on CDKeys!

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4539637 - 10/06/20 05:31 AM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I no longer have to mine for resources, since I have a fleet of frigates working for my battlecruiser cranking in cash, resources and other goods, plus one of my bases has a network of resource extractors linked via pipelines to an underground bunker that houses storage tanks and batteries, deep below the science, research and resort facilities. Supplies roll in about as fast as I can use them.

#4543040 - 11/02/20 04:25 AM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I think I'm starting to get carried away now...

A few days ago:

[Linked Image]

There's even a toxic containment silo for ammonia and nitrogen that can only be accessed by sequential doors. When the interior door opens and the warning lights come on, the exterior hallway door closes to protect against potential backblasts...

[Linked Image]

A central workshop

[Linked Image]

From today. A proper industrial complex is not complete without lots of exterior lighting:

[Linked Image]

My daughter loves to build in minecraft and also explore with me in NMS, so, I decided to make some bases of my own. smile

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 11/02/20 04:27 AM.
#4546626 - 11/30/20 06:57 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
So... I have been busy.

My latest? A Miami Vice themed swanky pad my daughter and I have been working on:

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/k3zqfy

#4546636 - 11/30/20 07:38 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A dozen times I have considered buying this game, and pass each time. Not sure why. You seem to be having a good time with it.

Your South Beach manse has a definite Vice vibe no doubt. Ditch the socks and crank up the Jan Hammer smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4546674 - 12/01/20 12:40 AM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I seem to recall you enjoyed the base building aspect of Subnautica you’ll love this. I’ve got quite a few hours into into and I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit. It’s very open world, you make out of it what you want.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4546679 - 12/01/20 01:45 AM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: DBond]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by DBond
A dozen times I have considered buying this game, and pass each time. Not sure why. You seem to be having a good time with it.

I bought three games on Steam's summer sale earlier this year, and had huge reservations buying No Man's Sky...

I haven't even bothered installing nor playing the other two yet.

I love No Man's Sky. smile

#4546694 - 12/01/20 11:04 AM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK

Just a thought. You can get a 1 month trial on Xbox Game pass to try No Man's Sky out. In fact you can do it twice by taking the premium version of Xbox for the same price. It cost £1.00 here in the UK.

That's assuming you haven't already done so.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4546701 - 12/01/20 01:18 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Chucky for the heads up.

Yes, I liked building bases in Subnautica. I've followed NMS through the disaster at release to the much more highly regarded current state of the game. It's quite a story really, as games often don't recover from such a start. Credit to the dev team for being able to overcome the massive reputation hit and come out on top. I think there's enough in there to grab me. Just so many alternatives I guess, and I always choose a different direction. Ah, ya never know.

#4546716 - 12/01/20 03:07 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well if you're looking for less killing, more exploring and total relaxation, you might want to try No Man's Sky, DBond.

#4546735 - 12/01/20 05:13 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I believe the current state of affairs f for DB is (and I quote) "Not taking any new patients now" (yeah, that line cracked me up!!)

But it's worth a flyer when you're looking for your next new thing.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4546823 - 12/02/20 02:06 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha, yes I did say that JC.

It's true, I had actually planned things around the release of Cyberpunk. I didn't want to be neck-deep in any engrossing game when it came out. But then it got delayed again and I did actually take on a couple to fill in the time.

I'll keep an eye on NMS, I think I could have a good time with it. Keep posting fellas, it's interesting to read about your experiences and helps me form a perspective on the game.

#4546827 - 12/02/20 02:20 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I really wanted to like NMS, but I never did. Even after fixes I just couldn't like it unfortunately frown I don't know if you're interested in negative viewpoints.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4546828 - 12/02/20 02:23 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I am interested DM, spill it smile

I think the others who like the game would be fine with a dissenting viewpoint too.

#4546834 - 12/02/20 03:04 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I will say it's a game you need to have a goal in, somewhat like Elite. There are some pretty good storyline missions that will keep you going for a while, and the constant updated do add content, but right now I'm not playing it because I finished the main storyline, I've travelled to a new galaxy, I've gotten my living ship, I have an Indium farm, a Living Glass farm, and a circuit board farm so I've got plenty of cash with nothing really to spend it on. I've also gotten an S class multitool maxed out, 2 exotic S class ships, an S class fighter, and an S class explorer. You can have a maximum of 6 ships, so all told I've got 5/6 with no real target for that 6th ship. I've also gotten an S class freighter as well as a good size fleet of frigates. So there's not much I'm interested in chasing down in game. Oh - I've unlocked just about all the base building parts I have even a mild passing interest in.

I do jump in every so often because it can be relaxing, and it's an absolutely incredible VR experience, but it's not a main free time game right now for me.

So while I have enjoyed it, and have sung its praises, there is a downside I guess.

-Robert Heinlein
#4546940 - 12/03/20 10:41 AM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I am interested DM, spill it smile

I think the others who like the game would be fine with a dissenting viewpoint too.

OK then smile

So at heart I am an explorer in games. I'm not interested in crafting, survival mechanics, combat, collecting/mining, trading etc. Maybe at some small level but not as a replacement for exploration. I just never felt that I explored anything, all places are ostensibly "different" while being somehow all the same. Everywhere I went there were police drones. That did not help me think I was the first person there :/

They're all different in the same way is the best I can put it smile

Other than that, the systems aren't really systems that you can believe in, they're static planets, no orbital mechanics for anything things are just hanging in space, and asteroid fields are simple volumes filled with asteroids here & there, no physics reason for them to exist.

Anyway, these are just my own hangups. By contrast, I like exploring in Elite Dangerous even though there's almost nothing to do when you do explore biggrin but at least it seems.... real and genuinely diverse. So bear that in mind when taking my view into account wink

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4546956 - 12/03/20 01:16 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I appreciate the viewpoint DM, thanks.

#4547005 - 12/03/20 11:16 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I have 282.4 hours in No Man's Sky according to Steam and I've only bothered doing 10% at best of the main game story content.

I had 500+ hours in Elite Dangerous when I quit playing, but that was because once the developers did their darndest to kill Open and pvp gameplay, there really wasn't much left that was interesting to me. For the record, I don't pvp at all in No Man's Sky. Existing in a Roger Dean style artistic universe is enough for me.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/03/20 11:23 PM.
#4548006 - 12/10/20 05:30 PM Re: No man's sky...? [Re: Dunolde]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.