Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 230 of 366 1 2 228 229 230 231 232 365 366
#4541970 - 10/23/20 04:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou and Raine, "stomped dammit" I cannot take credit for. My shop forman back in the day used it all the time and I picked it up from him. We worked together for 31 years and now that I am not "Bossman" we are the best of friends. The saying just describes some situations to a T.

The Berlin Ivan knew 4 years ago when he left was just a memory. The war had taken its toll. He had a room at the Victoria hotel. The accommodations were nice and comfortable. Not one of Berlins best hotels but more than adequate for him. There was to be a presentation in the morning. He was to receive his medal in the lobby in the morning, But first, he must visit home. He was not looking forward to it. Like most of the lower class women in Berlin, his mother and and sister had both taken jobs to help the war effort so he saved his visit until evening. He took the box Stienmesser had given him. It contained items that were now rationed in Berlin. Upon his arrival at the very modest, small house at the edge of town, he hesitated and then knocked. When his mother answered the door she looked like she had seen a ghost. Immer did also as his mother had aged considerable in the last four years. The 23 year old that stood in front of her was not the young boy that had left and the uniform was much smarter than the closed he had on when he left. They hugged a long time and a few tears were shed by both. His sister came in shortly after the scene repeated itself. His mother was thrilled at the package he had brought and immediately started supper. "This will be the best meal we have had in a long time." she beamed.

His father came home as they were setting the table. He looked at Immer. Looking at the man he feared and despised when he left, Immer was surprised. He was not the man he was. At least, not in Immers eyes. What stood before him was a pitiful excuse for a man. As his father started berating his mother for this and that not being right, years of rage welled up in the young man. Immer calmly stood up from the table and unholstered the pistol Vogel had loaned him. He looked straight into his fathers eyes and said calmly, "If you say another cross word to my mother ever again" he paused to let it sink in "I will kill you where you stand."His father seemed to know that the young son he once knew was no more. Before him was a man who had killed 21 others and it seemed he didn't mind making it 22. He looked at his son for a moment and sat down at the table. As they ate, Immer steered questions concerning flying to the fun times and away from the horrors of combat. In the end, he enjoyed the visit knowing that things would be different at home.

The presentation the next day was not what Immer expected. The lobby was crowed with people who wanted to shake hand with handsome young pilot who was going to save Germany. The irony that none of these people would have given him a second look, much less shake his hand 4 years ago was not lost on the young man. As the celebration winded down, Immer was standing by himself looking at through the window at the city he did not know any more when he heard a female voice. "Ivan?" He turned around. He would know the face anywhere. It was Gretchen. They had grown up near each other and went to the same school. She was 7 years his senior so she never knew the many hours Ivan had spent dreaming of her. She was the most beautiful women he had ever seen, and still was. He gained his composure. "Gretchen!" She extended her hand with a smile and kissed it gently. "How long are you in Berling?" she asked. "Just a few more days I am afraid. May I say you are as beautiful as I remember." She dipped her head and looked at him with her beautiful eyes. "I didn't know you had noticed! That was a long time ago." He smiled, "Not for me." It seems her father had done well in wartime and was now a man of means.

Ivan spent the next two days visiting home and spending as much time with Gretchen as he could. Who knew life could bring such changes he thought. But, It was all over too quickly and he had to return to Roucourt and the war. Gretchen gave him an envelop as he boarded the train. "Till next time?" she asked,' "Most definitely" He assured her.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Gretchen.jpg
Last edited by MFair; 10/23/20 04:53 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4541986 - 10/23/20 07:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks to all for the well wishes on my health. It ain’t what you know but who you know. Got an epidural in my hip Tuesday before last. Felt great. Messed up my shoulder. Well crap. Think I have Covid, double crap. 2 negative tests, relief! Yesterday, one of my partners At the Grenada farm who happens to be an orthopaedic surgeon stopped by the house on his way up there and gave me an evaluation, nothing real serious he says but gives me shot in the shoulder and says don’t lift anything heavy or pull anything for a while. My other mate, a retired Dr., tells me to watch for a UTI, which might have caused the chills and fever. Yep, the real culprit reared it’s head last night. Now on antibiotics for that, I can put weight on my right hip without pain for the 1st time in months and my shoulder feels good. Life is great. If you don’t have real friends, you don’t have diddly!

Oberleutnant Ivan Immer
Jasta 12,
October 21, 1917

Ivan sat in his Albatros as it warmed up. He closed his eyes and listed to the engine. He felt good. Protzer, a new man was to his right. It was to be a Norman line patrol. The adjutant ran to immers machine and pointed up. The black puff told the story. He quickly signaled Protzer to stick with him and hit the throttle. Circling up, he scanned for an ambush but it was not there. They closed on the RE’s over NML. Ivan started firing at the trailing Englishman and was scoring hits when the gunner of the next plane found his mark making Ivan break off. As he pulled up behind the second adversary he could see Protzer hitting the 1st one burst after burst. Ivan opened fire hitter #2 making him turn. Ivan countered to stay out of the gunners field of fire. As he popped up and started firing, so did the English gunner. Ivan was hitting the Englishman but as soon as he did he felt the blow to his leg. Instantly he sheared off and dove. He knew he was hit bad and could feel the blood as it soaked his pants. A bit dizzy, he saw the balloon near Lens and dove for it. He came in fast on a road near the balloon. The balloon crew was already running his way. They were on him as soon as he stopped. “It’s my leg” he said to the burly Sgt. Over him. “”Help him out boys, easy with the legs eh.” Bellowed the burly man. Ivan was rushed to a medical unit nearby. “I must have nine lives” he thought. “And I’ve gone through 4 or 5 of them already”

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4541990 - 10/23/20 07:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Geez, MFair! Ivan must have caught a case of bad luck from you. It sounds like you had a heckuva month – one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Take care of yourself, my friend.

By the way, when a fellow has a UTI and the doctor says to stop pulling things, my mind goes off in bizarre directions…

Back to the story… When do we find out what was in the envelope? Or is it the photograph?

#4541995 - 10/23/20 07:49 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ahhhhh, Gretchen. Home, Mom's Applestrudel , Farm Batwurst, and Wholesome Gretchen.

#4542008 - 10/23/20 08:33 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine, my dear friend, it was different doctors. The orthopaedic surgeon said to stop pulling on things. The Urology was the one to say “take these pills for two weeks”. Sorry for any confusion. That was funny though! Yes, my bad. The photo was in the envelope.

Carrick, purdy ain’t she?!

#4542032 - 10/23/20 11:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, a trip to Turkey sounds great right about now with the temps going down and all that. You have the pull. You can dream something up nefarious, I’m sure. Didn’t MvR have to do some boring tours of Eastern Front?
Please, please, take one of those Devil’s Chariots up for a test drive in QC. We don’t want Vogel spinning into the mud on his first outing.
BTW, Jasta 36 isn’t supposed to get the Dr.1’s until January according to the recruitment screen, but here we are. Everyone except Hahn. I guess his is coming in January. Same might happen to you. Everyone will get one soon except the highest scoring, highest ranked pilot. Hopefully that will be fixed in WOFF 2020. They’ve mentioned something about plane assignment. Oh, where was I? Ah yes, Vogel and his need for speed, attempting to buzz that château. Tough luck with all these unconfirmed claims. I’ll take Steinmesser impresario services if you don’t want it. Like Lou said, careful about that signature move. In WOFF 2020 the landing gear will break off.

MFair, glad you’re feeling better now. Well enough to dream up this wonderful Berlin story. And an angel to boot. What a looker and that much older err ... I mean more experienced. Well done, you old dog!
Now, as to the latest mission. You’ve got to know when yo fold them. You can think about that while you’re stuck in the hospital reading letters from Gretchen. You old dog!

Carrick, that’s just bad luck. Poor Marcel had no chance.

23 October, 1917 07:45
Ceurne, Flanders Sector
Jasta 36
Oberleutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM AO
74 confirmed kills

It’s never easy. Even friendly front lines patrols aren’t easy. They were met by a whole lot of Camels near Halluin. Needless to say, there were a lot of circling turning, chasing after running away foes while being fired upon by PBI below. Zygmunt followed a Camel over the lines and close to Ypres. He was previously being chased by one of Ziggy’s Dreidecker pilots, but he watched him peel off and return home after taking too much ground fire. Hahn swooped in behind the Camel and shot him down in flames. On his way back he noticed another one approaching. As Zygmunt dove behind him and just about to fire, the enemy’s engine began to smoke and fire emerged from beneath the cowling. Ziggy sent a quick burst to speed up the process and was on his merry way back across the lines.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4542095 - 10/24/20 07:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Hi gents! I wish I could say I'm returning to this DID campaign, but the bloody pandemic is only getting worse and I find I no longer have the energy for such demanding flying in my limited free time. Must be getting old! The whole year since March has been like a blur to me, but at least I managed to enjoy a short vacation in the summer when things were better for a few (short) weeks.

The situation is obviously not as bad as the Spanish Flu pandemic was at its worst, but I think I now understand a bit better what the medical people of those days had to experience. What a strange time to be alive.

Even though I don't feel like flying, I can still read the adventures of your pilots, so keep it up! reading

Stay safe everybody (in real life too)!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4542118 - 10/24/20 10:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hasse is correct Its a strange world in 2020. I ve seen a Pick up use the left turn pocket to by pass traffic. In a small town down the road from me a guy shot the BF of his ex wife . I saw her pic in the News and she's not even Purdy ! To add insult to injury, I cant seem to get my WOFF pilots to last more then a month. and I am in the K's. as far as Pilot names.

Last edited by carrick58; 10/24/20 10:27 PM.
#4542122 - 10/24/20 10:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Hasse, glad to see you checking in and thanks to you and all who work to keep us safe.

Carrick, don’t feel bad brother, I’m right behind you!

#4542125 - 10/24/20 11:45 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jean Kaplan De Villers
Sgt, Esc 79
Golancourt, Flanders

Oct 23 rd posted to Esc 79 and flew 1st Patrol against Zee Boche. Ground fire Heavy at times.

Oct 24th Line Patrol. Over the lines spotted and watched the enemy flight (6) diving on us ( we had medium Patrol at 8500ft ) How sleek the Albatrosses looked then Mg fire I had swung wide as instructed as Bait. Zee e/a took it tucked in tail and full power then my wihgmates were on them. I saw some black smoke ( later heard that it was a Hun going down ) then one crossing in front chandelled and opened up. Long strings of fire arched in then I zoomed getting to close . My wing mate dove and got the kill with short burst maybe a Rat a then we were alone so went home. After landing, I checked my Mg I had fired 211 rds. 2 section claim 2 e/a for 0

Attached Files CFS3 2020-10-24 15-44-04-76.jpgCFS3 2020-10-24 16-16-38-29.jpgCFS3 2020-10-24 16-16-59-78.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 10/24/20 11:46 PM.
#4542127 - 10/25/20 12:11 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Hasse, enjoy what little time off you get. Glad you you can still stop by.

MFair, what do you mean: “right behind you”? Is Immer about to get a septic infection in the hospital that we don’t yet know about?

Carrick, back in the thick of it already! Baptism by fire.

24 October, 1917 09:45
Ceurne, Flanders Sector
Jasta 36
Oberleutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM AO
76 confirmed kills

Both camels from yesterday have been confirmed.
Zygmunt’s Jasta intercepted a large formation of Triplanes over Wasquehal, which they were ordered to protect. Hahn thought this would be an interesting encounter. One of the British machines came behind and blended well with the rest of the Dreideckeren. Ziggy just realized HOW interesting this could be. He couldn’t tell if he’s being stalked by an enemy or followed by his wingman. He decided to take evasive action just in case and just in time. The Englander was right behind him. They sparred and eventually the Tripe had been defeated by the Albatros near the aerodrome. Another one was already mixing it up with one of the Fokkers. Zygmunt joined in but hearing the annoying buzz of an Oberursel nearby, was very aware of a possible collision and took it easy pursuing the enemy. In the end, the Fokker destroyed the Triplane right in Ziggy’s full view.

YouTube Link

On his return leg, after chasing the retreating Tripes across the front lines, Zygmunt chanced upon one of the stragglers who was flying low and desperately trying to avoid any confrontation. Hahn wasn’t about to oblige and was on him in a blink of an eye, chasing him along the mud until his ultimate destruction. After that, Zygmunt gathered what remained of his Schwarm and made it back home. He would rather prefer not to see more of the British Triplanes engaging his flight. Just too much confusion.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4542163 - 10/25/20 01:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Fullofit - I can see how it would be a tad tricky knowing which triplanes to shoot at when the fighting get so intense. Of course, with those kill stealers jumping in front of him still Ziggy would now have a plausible excuse if he just happened to give one of them a dose of pepper. I’d ask when he is getting a Dr.1 of his own, but it doesn’t look like he needs one. Now then, what is this about moving to Turkey and the Eastern front?

Carrick - Welcome to Sgt. De Villers, may he live long and prosper.

Hasse - Great to see you stopping by! You and yours stay safe as well, and perhaps when life returns to some level of normal you’ll feel like flying in the WOFF skies again.

MFair - The home episode for Ivan was first rate, and so very poignant. War changes people, some for better, some for worse. And Gretchen - oh my (Loretta Young, sooo dishy). Here’s hoping that relationship continues to develop.
Glad to know you continue to mend, those antibiotics should help a fair bit as well. But as for pulling on things, I believe I’ll let that whole discussion pass.

#4542175 - 10/25/20 03:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: Nice Vid

RAF Lou: I just hop the pilot lasts a month

mmmmmmmmm, Antibiotics and dating I am trying to remember

Attached Files woman-counting-money-what-not-to-say-when-asking-for-a-pay-rise-blogs-red-women-redonline.co.uk__thumbnail.jpg
#4542185 - 10/25/20 04:27 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fullofit, nice videos as always. I bet that would be a bit fuzzy with both sides flying triplanes. But then, no more than biplanes all over the sky. I missed your trail on “right behind you.” Can’t seem to recall that but with my current mental capacity.....oh well.

Lou, Yep, she was a classy lady for sure. 1st time I was aware of her was watching “Rachael and the Stranger.” Thought she was the most beautiful women I had ever seen.

Carrick, those were the days.

#4542212 - 10/25/20 09:36 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Great stuff, everyone. Unfortunately, due to real life, Reggie Capell had to end early. Lucky for him, he had to return home to take up family issues.

For now, I return with a new pilot (with some personal, familial ties to add some flare).

Feldwebel Friedrich Baldwin Eberwein
I was born in a modest estate on the outskirts of Würburg, Bavaria in 1896. The son of a vineyard owner, on land owned by the Eberwein name since the 30 Years War, our family worked hard to maintain a steady surplus of wine production for our area. While we weren't rich, we definitely did not struggle, but this did not keep my father from instilling hard work and accountability in his children. I was the eldest of three, my sister Elly was four years younger, and my younger brother, Bruno, was seven years younger. We maintained two separate areas of vineyards. Our main production of Riesling grapes, where our home is located, sits just on the outskirts of Höchburg (at the western limits of Würzburg). Our second area was on the outside of the historic Fortress Marienberg that sits atop the iconic hill in the city.

[Linked Image]
Würzburg in 1904

[Linked Image]
Fortress Marienberg, in the heart of Würzburg, and the surrounding vineyards

My life was rather uneventful growing up. I attended school, I ran track and field, doing my best to hold a decent distant record, but my life really revolved around the vineyards and the work involved. We produced many bottles of popular Riesling, known to many as Weingut Eberwein, but with success came more demand for work. That remained controllable until the war started.

When war started in 1914, a division was created in my house. My mother did not wish to watch her 18 year old son go off to war, but father reminded her that it was her son's duty to serve for the Kingdom. The 4th Royal Division (Bavaria) was located in Würzburg, so it was off to war for me.

The push for Paris had been over by the time training had finished for me, and I was posted to the Somme region with Kgl. Bayerisches Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 5. My experiences in the trenches were uneventful. I was attached to headquarters as a runner and spent most of my time in Flanders driving a motorcycle between the rear lines and the headquarters. As embarrassing as it is to write, my only "combat experience" came during the Battle of the Somme, when I was helping carry wounded and a shell landed near me and gave me shrapnel in my right leg. Luckily, it was mostly superficial, but full range of motion in my right knee became problematic. I was sent home by Christmas of 1916 to serve a desk at 4th Division HQ in Würzburg as a Feldwebel.

By 1917, I was becoming restless, especially with my family being so near to me and knowing that my lack of direct involvement in the war effort was wearing on me. I began applying for a transfer to the Luftstreitkräfte after reading of the many exploits during the Battle of Arras, and the Der Rote Freiherr. I longed to be in the sky, away from the politics of higher leadership over trivial matters. At first, I was met with many denials, but eventually, unbeknownst to my father, I opened a crate of our family's special reserves and essentially bribed for an approval. That summer, it was approved and I left for flight school.

Finally, in October of 1917, as the Third Battle of Ypres came to a close, I was attached to the Bavarian Jasta 35 in Belgium, and my journey in the Luftstreitkräfte began on October 26.

Last edited by AceMedic88; 10/25/20 09:57 PM.

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4542216 - 10/25/20 11:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Glad to see you back Ace. Be carefull, it is highly dangerous out there!

#4542219 - 10/26/20 12:16 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jean Kaplan De Villers
Sgt, Esc 79
Golancourt, Flanders

Rain with more wet stuff in the forcast,

Last edited by carrick58; 10/26/20 12:18 AM.
#4542238 - 10/26/20 10:57 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: AceMedic88]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
been to that castle twice. Würtzburg is nice little city

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4542239 - 10/26/20 11:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: lederhosen]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Originally Posted by lederhosen
been to that castle twice. Würtzburg is nice little city

I enjoyed it a lot when I was there. It was definitely one of my favorite spots, quieter than the bigger populace cities. I was in Schweinfurt for a few years so I followed the Main frequently.

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4542258 - 10/26/20 01:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Great to see you back in the fight AM88, and a wonderful intro to Feldwebel Eberwein. Beautiful pics of Würzburg and the Fortress as well. Best of luck to your man in Jasta 35, may he survive this madness.

Page 230 of 366 1 2 228 229 230 231 232 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM