Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4542108 - 10/24/20 09:00 PM Low level to Kenley  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
This is one of the many missions made by Mongoose that are included with the recent update to the CFS3 Battle of Britain mod - details available on the CFS3 forum over at Sim Outhouse. It represents the famous low level raid by 9 Staffel, Kampfgeschwader 76 on the RAF sector station at Kenley, south of London, on 18th August 1940.

To save us the trouble of flying all the way from Cormeilles-en-Vexin, the mission starts in mid-Channel. I'm leading six Dornier 17s. There's another kette of three up ahead, as it happens, so we have the full nine aircraft that flew the real raid. This is my aircraft, skipping across the waves.

[Linked Image]

And there are the others, barring one who's off to my left, out of shot.

[Linked Image]

We're actually carrying the markings of KG3, geschwader code 5K. KG76 used F1. Still, it's a nice skin.

[Linked Image]

Enemy coast ahead!

[Linked Image]

The real raid made landfall near the white cliffs at Beachy Head, where they were observed and reported by Observer Post K3, atop the cliffs.

[Linked Image]

We've hardly reached land when we come under ground fire. Or perhaps sea fire; not visible in this pic is some shipping, behind us. In real life, the first shots fired at 9/KG76 came from patrol boats.

[Linked Image]

Just inland, the first waypoint comes up and I begin to turn left. Up ahead, the three leading Dorniers are just visible as they make the same turn.

[Linked Image]

Kenley here we come!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 10/24/20 09:14 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4542110 - 10/24/20 09:44 PM Re: Low level to Kenley [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
We're soon settling onto our course for the next leg, which will take us to the north-west, before turning north for the run in to the target.

[Linked Image]

If I warp, I get taken up to about 1400 feet, way too high, so I fly most of the route in real time.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of the route, you can see it in the next pic. The mod's update over-wrote my replacement map, made by a modder for WotR and is ideal for the BoB mod too.

[Linked Image]

The turn north made, we thunder low over the English countryside.

[Linked Image]

A navigation check with the tactical display indicates we haven't far to go - maybe five miles. There's no sign of any opposition, nor of the high-level raids which are supposed to hit Kenley first - but were late in real life.

[Linked Image]

Bomb bay doors open!

[Linked Image]

Soon, it'll be Bomben auf England!

...to be continued!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4542157 - 10/25/20 11:28 AM Re: Low level to Kenley [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Suddenly, there's the rapid rattle of MG fire and hits patter onto my airframe. We're being attacked head on by a bunch of Hurricanes, just short of the target!

[Linked Image]

Our formation quickly breaks up. My own Dornier has taken many hits and both engines are trailing faint trails of grey smoke. The controls are sluggish and she wants to climb of her own accord.

[Linked Image]

I struggle to maintain my heading. Up ahead is Kenley, the runways, blast pens, hangars and other buildings -including the vital Sector Operations Room - all laid out as they were in real life. Somebody - a fighter, or one of the leading kette of bombers - has crashed near the perimeter, and a single parachute hangs in the air. I decide to bomb the camouflaged hangars - if I can make it that far!

[Linked Image]

Pushing my crippled machine back down to just above the deck, I send my sticks of 50 kilo bombs crashing into the hangars...

[Linked Image]

...then let the Dornier rise again, trying at the same time to crab around to the right and get away.

[Linked Image]

My bomber is going up like a lift now, barely under control. Another aircraft has smashed into the ground next to a railway line. Behind, the hangars are aflame. I can't tell if anyone else has had any luck.

[Linked Image]

It'll be all I can do now, to save my own skin!

...to be continued!

#4542160 - 10/25/20 11:46 AM Re: Low level to Kenley [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Aircraft are spread out all over the sky behind me, friend and foe alike. At least some of the others are still in the air!

[Linked Image]

I continue to swing around to the right, intending to get onto a southerly course which will take me back towards the Channel. I'm tempted to hug the ground, but I don't fancy my chances in a forced landing, even if the damage doesn't get any worse. Instead I want to be high enough to give us a chance to bail out, if seriously attacked again.

[Linked Image]

And seriously attacked we soon are! A Hurricane sweeps in from behind to my right, her wings lit up by the muzzle flashes of her guns. First one engine, then the other, goes on fire.

[Linked Image]

My Dornier rolls uncontrollably onto her back and goes down. And the rising terrain under us at this point means there's no time for any of us to get out!

As the debriefing shows, I got 14 hits from 18 bombs and destroyed three hangars. But the 8 'experience points' awarded won't be much use to me! Incidentally, I'm still using a previous RAF pilot identity.

[Linked Image]

This is just one of many new missions for the updated BoB mod, mostly grouped into two sets covering big days in the Battle of Britain - 18th August as here, and September 15th, Battle of Britain Day itself. Where appropriate, the missions feature much larger numbers of aircraft than anything commonly seen in CFS3. The pic below is from a 501 Squadron mission on 15 September and you can see the formation of about twenty Heinkels astern of my Hurricane. I'm chasing a bunch of Dorniers up ahead and there are 109s and Hurricanes dog-fighting all over the place. If you want your Battle of Britain air combat historical and dangerous, this is for you!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.