Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4541913 - 10/23/20 03:42 AM Sometimes you have to separate the music from the visuals...  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
...because even a totally badass Rock song can have awful visuals... biggrin

Van Halen - And the Cradle will rock 1980...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHXbi1bC9T4

EDIT: Link works, just no preview pic...

Attached Files VH.png
Last edited by MarkG; 10/23/20 04:23 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4541927 - 10/23/20 11:15 AM Re: Sometimes you have to separate the music from the visuals... [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
There were tons of 80's videos that had great songs but the production values were cheap and cheesy because I guess there just wasn't enough money to make anything fancier.

This one immediately comes to my mind,

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4541936 - 10/23/20 01:08 PM Re: Sometimes you have to separate the music from the visuals... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One way to save money on video production is to just put cameras in your recording studio...

Rush - Limelight (Official Music Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRuj2_czzw

Same with "Tom Sawyer" and "Vital Signs".

Or spend a little money to be edgy 80's-style. smile

Rush - The Big Money (Official Music Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgu0MpnKq8

++++++++++

But none of them had David Lee Roth's dance/stripper moves! biggrin According to Eddie in that hour-long video on the EVH RIP thread, "Dave was in to Disco" [@35:30])...and there ain't nothing wrong with that. biggrin His post-VH solo stuff was more fun than Rock ("California Girls", "Just a Gigolo"), although Skyscraper has its moments.

To Dave's credit, he apparently didn't care so much for the change in sound that Eddie wanted with some of 1984 and told him that as a guitar god, he should lay off the keys. Eddie wrote "Jump" which the band disliked until it became their biggest and only #1 hit (getting Dennis DeYoung vibes here). I assume the same with "I'll Wait". Eddie eventually added piano to VH's sound (and he is good at it). Even a musician's taste matures, I guess.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4541941 - 10/23/20 01:28 PM Re: Sometimes you have to separate the music from the visuals... [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

To Dave's credit, he apparently didn't care so much for the change in sound that Eddie wanted with some of 1984 and told him that as a guitar god, he should lay off the keys. Eddie wrote "Jump" which the band disliked until it became their biggest and only #1 hit (getting Dennis DeYoung vibes here). I assume the same with "I'll Wait". Eddie eventually added piano to VH's sound (and he is good at it). Even a musician's taste matures, I guess.

Music fans are a fickle bunch. Depending on the group, some fans praise a group if they evolve and change their style over time (classic case: Beatles) while other groups are praised for never changing their style and staying "true" to their roots (classic case: AC/DC).

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.