Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4539435 - 10/04/20 01:04 PM Dead compressor regulator  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Regulator has a bit hissy the last few weeks, pulled it off and redid all of the fittings with new thread tape which seemed to sort it. Tonight it would fill up to required psi and then it would go all hissy, stay at roughly that psi but keep leaking. Couldn't find anything obvious but it felt like it was coming out of the gauge. Stripped that off and plugged the hole with my finger and found another hole above it that was the issue. No idea what that hole was, pressure relief in case of some internal failure maybe? Time to pull down the reg and have a look inside. After stripping it down the problem was found...

Reg split apart

[Linked Image]

Pressure valve/check valve

[Linked Image]

Where the valve seats

[Linked Image]

What was left inside the filter mount once i split the valve from the filter section. Ze culprit! Spring rusted and collapsed.

[Linked Image]

There doesn't seem to be anything else to pull apart, the white gear simply slips off and i will pull the fittings off again and give it all a good flush. So, off tomorrow to find a new spring, one that is nicely joined and springy, and not all separated into single rings.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4539440 - 10/04/20 02:45 PM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Ajay]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Say it aint true Ajay!!! The sooner you can get it fixed or a replacement we can enjoy your work in progress posts..

Russ
Semper Fi
#4539502 - 10/05/20 02:56 AM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I couldn't find the right size or correct tension spring, even tried one out of one the kids old bobbleheads, right diameter to fit, but too thick and it doesn't do the job. So, 30 bucks and got a new reg, all good to go smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4539511 - 10/05/20 07:51 AM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Ajay]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I had a similar issue with my compressor.
There is a no-return valve between the tank and the cylinders, and it somehow failed - so once the tank was filled and the cylinders stopped, the air just leaked out. I managed to take it apart, and the no return valve is a ball bearing on a spring. The bearing had slipped into the spring, instead of being on top of it...

#4539568 - 10/05/20 04:03 PM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
We had a pair of large electrical air compressors on the boats I worked on for years.

They were running all the time as the controls were all air over hydraulic. Surprisingly few issues ever with any of them. Mostly the fact that the older they got the more water they made while compressing air, constantly draining the air storage tanks and water traps on air lines.
If you didn't you were asking for trouble.

With all that rust Ajay, I wonder if yours is making a lot of water?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4539600 - 10/05/20 09:26 PM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Nixer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Nixer
We had a pair of large electrical air compressors on the boats I worked on for years.

They were running all the time as the controls were all air over hydraulic. Surprisingly few issues ever with any of them. Mostly the fact that the older they got the more water they made while compressing air, constantly draining the air storage tanks and water traps on air lines.
If you didn't you were asking for trouble.

With all that rust Ajay, I wonder if yours is making a lot of water?

Was thinking the same, also is the compressor up to the job?
In one place I worked I had to constantly repair the compressor, then I added up the demand from all the machines that used the compressed air it was more than 4 times what the compressor could deliver, I was constantly running around emptying the water traps and seeing how much mayo was in them, I persuaded the owner of the company that what he was doing was false economy and I picked out a 18cft/min compressor to replace the 2cft/min one, after it was installed I could finally get the machines to work at their designed speed - mind you the staff complained that everything was too fast now smile

We had 2 high speed cassette winders with a 3rd one on order they used 3.5cft/min each, a cassette labelling machine that used 3.4cft/min and a packaging machine that used 2.4cft/min the labelling machine just did not work with the old compressor, there was not enough air once the small reservoir was depleted, the winders just ran slow all the time and the compressor was working hard all the time, eventually it seized, at that point I had been warning the management for more than a month that it was going to fail, it took going over their head to the owner to get it sorted, and I made an enemy in the management smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4539624 - 10/06/20 02:35 AM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The comp is an Hseng AS186 chinese cheapy, 1/6 hp with a 3 litre tank. When i was looking for an airbrush setup, back when i did my first 190 last year, it seemed to be the most common entry level (with a tank) comp most modellers were using. I'm generally pretty good with emptying the tank after every session and then i let it sit with the drain bung out overnight. The reg i empty whenever i see any moisture build up. She is definitely rusty inside smile I spray at between 12 and 20 psi so she doesn't work very hard, or for very long normally, 10-20 minute bursts of action. The summer humidity here probably doesn't help it out.

Edit - with the new reg i will be pulling it apart and cleaning out the brass filter and spring from now on to delay the inevitable.

Last edited by Ajay; 10/06/20 02:37 AM.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4539675 - 10/06/20 03:27 PM Re: Dead compressor regulator [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
At least you were able to get the new reg you needed.

Sounds like you got it covered man.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.