Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4538172 - 09/23/20 09:36 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
St. Bernardus ABT12 a cheeky wee Belgian dark beer brewed in the spirit of the Trappists, it's brewed to the same recipe as Westvleteren renowned to be the best of Belgian beers, in blind side by side trials St. Bernardus usually comes out ahead and at a fraction of the price too.
https://www.sintbernardus.be/en/brewery/our-beers/stbernardus-abt-12-en

I don't drink a lot but I do enjoy a good dark beer, my wife and I spend a bit of time going places and trying out the local beers, not for the beer's sake but as part of what makes a place what it is.

We have been touring the canals and lakes in Friesland and as part of that sampling the local food and drink, what better than sitting on the bank of a canal sipping a local brew and watching ships like this one tacking by, finding a Dokwerker on the canal side while social distancing Holland style (I'm the one with my back to the camera smile ) and again watching the sails as the sun goes down

Attached Files _DSC3017sm.jpg_DSC3119sm.jpg_DSC3112sm.jpg_DSC3150aCrop.jpg

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4538177 - 09/23/20 10:43 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
When I did drink Carlsberg was my beer of choice. I liked the taste, but originally I bought it as a teen so I would know if someone was stealing my beer. Everyone drank Molson Canadian at parties.

#4538217 - 09/24/20 10:55 AM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I’d place Molson about one level above Budweiser. That doesn’t mean too much. wink

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/24/20 10:55 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4538222 - 09/24/20 11:22 AM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Alicatt]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Alicatt
St. Bernardus ABT12 a cheeky wee Belgian dark beer brewed in the spirit of the Trappists, it's brewed to the same recipe as Westvleteren renowned to be the best of Belgian beers, in blind side by side trials St. Bernardus usually comes out ahead and at a fraction of the price too.

That beer in your photo looks absolutely marvelous. I'd love to try one some day!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4538234 - 09/24/20 12:53 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Ah, Het Molenhuis in Woudsend! I used to do a lot of sailing with my friends on the Heegermeer, and Woudsend was the perfect stop for alcohol groceries. We used to get shouted at by the local population for having Gordon Gecko mullets ("Girlie hair" according to the farmers), but their accent is heavy enough to not understand half of it anyway. September is indeed a great time to visit it. Early enough in the off-season to enjoy the weather, but late enough to have the lake to yourself.

Enjoy! smile

#4538280 - 09/24/20 06:16 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Vaderini]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Vaderini
Ah, Het Molenhuis in Woudsend! I used to do a lot of sailing with my friends on the Heegermeer, and Woudsend was the perfect stop for alcohol groceries. We used to get shouted at by the local population for having Gordon Gecko mullets ("Girlie hair" according to the farmers), but their accent is heavy enough to not understand half of it anyway. September is indeed a great time to visit it. Early enough in the off-season to enjoy the weather, but late enough to have the lake to yourself.

Enjoy! smile

You are so right there, it was quite the relaxing holiday, we are planning on going again next year and for that trip we have the boat picked out already, Otti a12.5m cruiser built in Sneek: https://brakel-yachtcharter.nl/onze-vloot/otti/

I was the only one that had any boating experience and the others wanted to take a boat out for a little cruise, so I hired a 6.25m sloop from the vakantiepark De Kuilart for the day and went out with them in the worst day of our vacation, it pissed down most of the day but we all had great fun and after the day they all wanted to do a cruise for next year, I love it when a plan comes together wink

My wife and I spent almost a whole day in Sneek at the Schipsvaart Museum, what a great collection of the history of Friesland, it was not just about the ships/boats it was more inclusive about the whole history of the region, with one exhibit of a skiff dating back to the middle 1100s and you could actually touch that little bit of history. With the Coronatijd maatregels the museum had to bend the rules a little to allow my wife and I to visit as their booking system does not allow for foreign visitors.
We visited Lemmer a few times the restaurant Lange Piet had very good food and sitting there watching the cruisers queue up at the traffic lights for the bridge and sluis was interesting, bow thrusters on small vessels has made things a lot easier for the would be captain smile

@PM the Dokwerker is a Baltic Porter rich in chocolate and coffee flavours and abv 8.5%, over the week we were there I had a few smile

Attached Files _DSC3361sm.jpg_DSC3401sm.jpg_DSC3404sm.jpg_DSC3729Crop.jpg

Clan Cameron
#4538285 - 09/24/20 06:52 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
"What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend?"

Slavs: "Yes".

[Linked Image]

#4538542 - 09/27/20 11:42 AM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#4538610 - 09/28/20 11:26 AM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: BUFF]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I see you guys have Aldi as well in the UK. I'm still amazed that even Miami has Aldi store locations. biggrin

#4538616 - 09/28/20 11:57 AM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
We have Aldi and Lidl Panzer. They seem to do quite well although I've never used them myself. My local Tesco is about a minutes walk from me, although I haven't been inside it since mid March. I rely on 'click and collect' and it's doubtful I will ever revert to my shopping habits pre-covid.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4538679 - 09/28/20 06:03 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I see you guys have Aldi as well in the UK. I'm still amazed that even Miami has Aldi store locations. biggrin

It is an European (German) company ... :p Having said that UK Aldis are actually quite different from German ones these days as they have adapted to suit our buying habits.

abit forums
#4538725 - 09/29/20 02:10 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: BUFF]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BUFF

It is an European (German) company ... :p Having said that UK Aldis are actually quite different from German ones these days as they have adapted to suit our buying habits.

Is that Aldi Nord or Aldi Süd? You could see the difference when we went to Austria a few years ago. The two chains are from two brothers one took the north and the other took the south. Aldi in the UK is similar but not quite the same as in Belgium, while I noticed that in the UK they were taking in original brands for a while now, here in Belgium it is 99.99% Aldi's own brands. Then there is the other German chain Lidl, there is one in the next town they do stock some nice and better quality foods than Aldi, tonight to accompany the spaghetti we will be having a Chianti from Lidl, it is cheap and quite tasty, we were surprised at how good it was smile

EDIT:
Aldi in Belgium is from Aldi Nord and Aldi in the UK is from Aldi Süd

Trader Joe in the USA is from Aldi Nord and Aldi is from Aldi Süd

Last edited by Alicatt; 09/29/20 02:15 PM. Reason: info

Clan Cameron
#4538827 - 09/30/20 11:21 AM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Alicatt]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
[quote=BUFF][

Trader Joe in the USA is from Aldi Nord and Aldi is from Aldi Süd

Trader Joe's is wildly popular in Florida. Their store locations in the Miami area were always packed with customers pre-pandemic.

#4538949 - 09/30/20 10:54 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Alicatt]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted by BUFF

Is that Aldi Nord or Aldi Süd? You could see the difference when we went to Austria a few years ago. The two chains are from two brothers one took the north and the other took the south. Aldi in the UK is similar but not quite the same as in Belgium, while I noticed that in the UK they were taking in original brands for a while now, here in Belgium it is 99.99% Aldi's own brands. Then there is the other German chain Lidl, there is one in the next town they do stock some nice and better quality foods than Aldi, tonight to accompany the spaghetti we will be having a Chianti from Lidl, it is cheap and quite tasty, we were surprised at how good it was smile

Interesting as I would have said that here in the UK Aldi would be generally perceived as slightly above Lidl (although Lidl's latest generation stores are noticeably better than the older stores). They both have things worth buying but also those worth avoiding winkngrin

abit forums
#4541296 - 10/18/20 03:54 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Patrocles]  
Karen Parr Offline
Karen Parr  Offline

Colorado Denver
Well, I quit drinking a long time ago, so my weekend drinks will be coffee, soda, and water. Trust me, a life with no alcohol will save you a lot of money and time. Having alcohol addiction isn't so fun and easy how it looks like. It was hard to quite, but I did it with the help of my family and the rehabilitation center lifeline.org.uk. The rehab center offered me the possibility to understand what alcoholism was and where the root of my alcohol issues was. So guys, don't drink too much and keep healthy your mind and body.

Last edited by Karen Parr; 10/21/20 06:52 AM.
#4541301 - 10/18/20 04:33 PM Re: What alcoholic beverages is everyone enjoying this weekend? [Re: Karen Parr]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Well, at least thread isn't *that* old this time...

Originally Posted by Karen Parr
Trust me, a life with no alcohol will save you a lot of money and time.

If $'s an issue, just do what I do and purchase large quantities (1.75L bottles) at Costco. Their faux "Crown Royal" and "Grey Goose" (for example) are made by the real folks but at half the price or less, with maybe a little less aging and such (the experts are almost always impressed by quality and value).

Oh, and DRINK IN MODERATION! A relaxing date night buzz (for example) is a good thing, IMO. Not necessary every, or even *most* times, but when the mood hits (been longing for homemade Margaritas lately), it's a lot of fun. smile

Just know that you're consuming ~100 calories a drink (1.5 oz shot, beer, glass of wine) and that you don't want to impair your...performance (if that's a consideration). Aging sucks, just gotta make the best of it. I think an occasional buzz (like once or twice a month) is actually good for you, to chill and take a mental break from your daily problems.

Originally Posted by Karen Parr
Having alcohol addiction isn't so fun and easy how it looks like.

Yeah, addiction to anything can be a problem. Good thing I don't have my own dentist's gas dispenser, that stuff is freaking great! biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.