Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4537394 - 09/17/20 12:29 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Mike Fink, King of the River!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4537409 - 09/17/20 01:52 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I remember when DR's made house calls or at least sent a nurse if you were too sick to go out..

Russ
Semper Fi
#4537410 - 09/17/20 01:58 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I wonder when the milk man delivering the bottles of milk to homes finally died out? I'm guessing sometime in the late 60's?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4537413 - 09/17/20 02:08 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
This is a bit of a long watch but it perfectly shows what American life was like in 1940. The very idea of door to door car salesmen would be bizarre for most people today. Oh and this was brilliantly riffed by the crew at Mystery Science Theater so enjoy!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4537414 - 09/17/20 02:13 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I wonder when the milk man delivering the bottles of milk to homes finally died out? I'm guessing sometime in the late 60's?

I remember going with my dad on his milk runs some Saturdays in the early 60's. Riding through the countryside in a milk truck with the passenger's side door open and no seat belts. Would land him in jail and me in foster care today.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4537423 - 09/17/20 02:43 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I can remember these.

[Linked Image]

Palm Dairy milk delivery. The very last day of delivery by horse-drawn milk wagon in 1955. The house was on the west side of Drinkwater Street where the Paris Street bridge is located, in 2015.

The horse would move on to the next house while the milkman was going up to the house. A lot of the houses had cupboards that the milk was put in. There was a door on the inside of the house. In the summer to keep the sun off and in the winter to stop the milk from freezing

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 09/17/20 02:55 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4537424 - 09/17/20 02:45 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that photo KK! It was most certainly a different world and era. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/17/20 02:46 PM.

#4537437 - 09/17/20 03:44 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Some of you old(er)-timers growing into boyhood had the prettiest girls to gawk at (MM not my favorite of the era, but even crazy looked classy in those days)...

[Linked Image]

...but you also had to endure Medieval torture...

[Linked Image]

Lol! Ok, maybe more like this...

[Linked Image]

...although even the 70's looked like a little shop of horrors compared with today...

[Linked Image]

Attached Files marilyn-monroe-as-lorelei-lee-singing-diamonds-are-a-girls-best-friend-640x480.jpg121.jpgDentist-history.jpg5ac8.jpg

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4537447 - 09/17/20 04:12 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
Some of you old(er)-timers growing into boyhood had the prettiest girls to gawk at (MM not my favorite of the era, but even crazy looked classy in those days)...

[Linked Image]

Some of my huge crushes from many decades ago,

PIC #1 Ruby Keeler
PIC #2 Marika Rokk
PIC #3 Joan Blondell

Attached Files RK.jpgMR.jpgJB.jpg

#4537469 - 09/17/20 06:27 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Joan Blondell had aged a bit by the time she played the character of Lady Fingers--the dealers for the big final 5 card stud game in "The Cincinnati Kid" from 1965. They even hired a well-known West coast magician and card mechanic to teach her how to deal and look professional.

[Linked Image]

Still, she was quite popular as a comedic character in a lot of TV sitcoms of the period.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4537475 - 09/17/20 06:52 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: BD-123]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by BD-123
Great image that FO! Lil' tough guy...." I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six caps or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself." smile

'Davey....Davey Crockett! King of the Wild Frontier' was very popular here, along with the little-remembered 'Cisco Kid' and the 'Lone Ranger' of course.
I too had a coonskin hat now I recall.

I actually had the recording of the song on a .45 RPM record. I got by sending in 50 cents and a label from a Peter Pan peanut butter jar. They were the sponsors of the Wonderful World of Disney. The peanut butter company actually used the Disney Peter Pan movie artwork for the picture of Tinkerbell on the jar at the time. Since they are no longer associated, the character artwork is just generic now.

The Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid were also favorites of mine. Around the mid 50's my dad ran a barber shop that was attached to the downtown hotel in my town. I was spending the day at my dad's shop and at some point he grabbed me and took me in to the hotel lobby to meet someone. To my surprise, it was the actor who played the Cisco Kid--Duncan Renaldo. He was wearing a business suit but was still sitting at a table in the lobby signing autographed pictures for anyone who wanted one. I was thrilled to death at the time.

He signed it personally to me and I still have it.

[Linked Image]

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4537478 - 09/17/20 06:56 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Hey Pancho....

Hey Cisco!

Wow, holy flashbacks!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4537607 - 09/18/20 10:06 PM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Great pictures. My Dad and Uncle had the Davy Crockett stuff in the 50's. I came later along and also loved the Fess Parker/Buddy Espen Davy Crockett movie and my own cap Kentucky long rifle in the 80s. Those guys were very heroic to me in their depiction of those men in the Disney classic. Davy going into Congress with his buckskins and speaking his mind, how he was with his wife and kids and his frontier and horseman skills, his interactions with Andrew Jackson and with the whole musical narrative throughout.

I was going to mention it earlier FO but I also miss good cap pistols. You were before my time but I still had metal caste cap pistols in the 80s. Heavy and solid enough that put the other junk to shame and that you could sling. My Dad even bought me a policeman's holster at a flea market in New Mexico. Didn't match at all but it was real leather and real cool to me. I also miss the rolls of paper caps. I think you can still get them online but it seems you don't see any real good cap stuff in stores anymore. I found a site online that makes amazing quality cap pistols. Replica level pistols made in Italy or Spain I think but very expensive. But I think they have moving parts and are pretty amazing quality.

I always loved the paper cap rolls the best though. There was something more satisfying about spooling and loading those in to your own "cowboy" pistol and seemed to sound, look and SMELL better than those little plastic ring variety. Plus you could scrape and ignite the paper caps with your thumb if you were feeling like a tough guy. biggrin

I just saw your photo of Cisco Kid with your story FO. That's awesome and a great memory. My grandmother often told me about an autograph photo she had of Tom Mix I believe.

Last edited by Coot; 09/18/20 10:15 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4537631 - 09/19/20 12:53 AM Re: Remembering things that we took for granted but are mostly gone now [Re: Coot]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by Coot

I always loved the paper cap rolls the best though.

Yep, would buy a bunch of them and then discovered that if you use a really big hammer like 5lb. Lay the roll on its side and let it fly. The resulting noise was Awesome when the entire thing goes at once.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.