Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4537488 - 09/17/20 08:16 PM U-100 - second patrol  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Brest, occupied France, evening, 29 September 1940

Despite scrubbing the first patrol after scraping the jetty on departure, this counts as my second patrol. It's back to what should have been my stomping ground first time out, namely the ever-popular grid square BE61.

[Linked Image]

This time, the red light in the control room tells me we're departing under cover of darkness. Good - fewer witnesses, if I ram the scenery again.

[Linked Image]

But no such luck - the same dockside party is there to see everything, band and all. Even the seagulls are still swooping.

[Linked Image]

A look at the map, zoomed in, confirms that I can get past the breakwater up ahead by turning right - sorry, I mean to starboard - on clearing the dock.

[Linked Image]

This time, the departure goes without a hitch, and anyone who was hoping to see a second embarrassing crash is disappointed..

[Linked Image]

Up on the bridge, I come onto a course which will take me between the two lights marking the western harbour mouth, then have a look astern. The bridge watch looks alert as Brest - which you can see already has its U-Boat pens - slips away behind us.

[Linked Image]

We're soon sliding out of the harbour mouth.

[Linked Image]

Right, I've actually managed to leave port. Now all I need to do is reach the middle of the Atlantic, and maybe find some enemy shipping to sink. Nothing to it, really. What could possibly go wrong?

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/17/20 08:20 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4537496 - 09/17/20 10:49 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Right! Time to remind myself how to plot a course. It's a long way to our patrol area and I want to be able to use time compression while the boat auto-follows a plotted course. I quickly locate the right tool on the map screen and plot my course as far as the Bay of Biscay, for starters.

[Linked Image]

The first foul-up of patrol number two soon follows. Experimenting with the Numpad-based view keys, I hit Numpad+Enter only to find this fires a torpedo, whose wake snakes off into the night. I quickly look around, but the bridge watch are pretending they didn't notice.

[Linked Image]

The torpedo tube isn't reloaded. I remember that this must be because I set an unsuitable watch pattern, from the pre-sets available. Sure enough, the bow and stern crew quarters are just about full of resting sailors, and the torpedo rooms are un-manned. Another lesson is re-learned.

[Linked Image]

Having ordered plenty of bods into the bow torpedo room, the empty tube is soon re-loaded. I also order one of my officers onto the bridge, to bolster the watch-keeping.

Back up on the aforementioned bridge, I just happen to be looking ahead when I see a sudden plume of water explode into the night sky, some way off the starboard bow.

[Linked Image]

'Alaaaarm!' I order a crash dive. Whatever it is, I don't like the look of it. The bell rings, seaboots clatter dully on metal and the conning tower hatch clunks shut as the bows start to dip beneath the waves.

[Linked Image]

I catch the boat before she goes too deep - waters are shallow this close to the coast - and continue on course while we get clear of whatever it was. I occupy the time by extending my plotted course out to square BE61, culminating in a north-south zig-zag search pattern.

[Linked Image]

I then bring the boat back up to periscope depth...

[Linked Image]

...but a look around leaves me none the wiser. It slowly dawns on me that the waterspout could have been my errant torpedo, exploding when it reached the end of its run, or ran into something solid - hopefully coastal, not naval, as friendly fire incidents are not going to add to my popularity. Anyhow, feeling safe, I come back to the surface.

[Linked Image]

Dawn finally breaks to reveal fine weather, calm seas and an empty horizon.

[Linked Image]

Astern to the east, we're treated to an unspectacular but nevertheless pretty sunrise.

[Linked Image]

So far, so not so bad!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/17/20 10:54 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4537592 - 09/18/20 07:33 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
As the crew of U-96 sang in 'Das Boot', 'Eets a long vey to Tippair-rair-ree' - but it's an even longer way to Grid Square BE61.

[Linked Image]

So as to stave off any tendencies to boredom and keep the crew on their toes, I decide to order a crash dive.

[Linked Image]

This goes reasonably well. I remember in the memoirs of Wolfgang Hirschfeld, he recounts how he was keen to get a posting onto a larger Type IX boat for the extra space, rather than the Type VII which could get below the water faster. Creature comforts not being a consideration for purely virtual U-Boat men, I'm happy with my smaller and handier VIIB. We're soon down to 30 meters.

[Linked Image]

At 60 metres, I slow down to 'Halbe fahrt veraus' and then order U-100 back up to periscope depth.

[Linked Image]

The boat takes a while to settle at that depth, just below the surface...

[Linked Image]

...so without waiting, and in the absence of any contact reports from the hydrophone operator, I raise the periscope and scan the surface, taking in plenty of the sky and doing two complete segment-by-segment 360-degree sweeps, first in one direction, then in the other.

[Linked Image]

All clear - time to go back upstairs! I give the order, which is acknowledged and repeated...

[Linked Image]

...the rating manning the valves at the trimming panel gets busy...

[Linked Image]

...and up we go. The bridge watch is back in position even before the boat is fully settled on the surface. I feel reassured that we can rely on each other, this crew, new to the game though we may be.

[Linked Image]

A check of the map shows how far we still have to go. It's still early morning so there's a lot of daylight left, but I decide to stay on the surface and risk air attack.

[Linked Image]

Here in what the Tommies call the Western Approaches, we might also run into enemy warships, but with our small, low silhouette, I'm banking on spotting them, before they spot us. Time to settle down into a spell of time acceleration and hope we'll not be interrupted until we reach our patrol zone.

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/18/20 07:34 PM.

#4537711 - 09/19/20 04:40 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
A long spell of high-rate time acceleration gets me through an uneventful day, rattling west in calm and clear conditions. When I come out into normal time, the sun is dipping towards the western horizon.

[Linked Image]

The sailors doing the bridge watches must find it pretty boring, but that goes with the job.

[Linked Image]

I drop back to the map view where I can rack the time acceleration back up to the un-modded maximum, x1024. Just after nightfall, it suddenly drops out to x8. Something's up! I quickly drop all the way back into normal time. There it is - a contact on the port bow, some way off!

[Linked Image]

How did we pick it up? I don't know. I drop the speed to avoid crossing ahead of the contact, but I can't see a thing from the bridge, even with the binos.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, it's time to get ready! I order the crew to the pre-set surface action stations, which quickly gets most people out of their bunks.

[Linked Image]

Still on the bridge, I drop down to the U-boat Ziel Optik and scan a wider arc. There she is, crossing in front of us, a vague, distant shape on the dark horizon! At first I think it's a Flower Class corvette, then I realise it's a mechantman. We're in business!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

#4537714 - 09/19/20 05:02 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I order the target tracked ('locked') so the UZO can start feeding bearings down to the fire control system inn the control room below the conning tower.

[Linked Image]

I make a couple of course adjustments so we're on a near collision course, with the target held all the while in the UZO. The ship isn't zig-zagging, so this shouldn't be difficult.

[Linked Image]

I watch the range wind down, and when it gets to under 800 metres, order Tube 1 fired.

[Linked Image]

We're now closing quite quickly and I make a rather rushed decision to fire tube 2 as well, before turning ahead of the merchantman.

Torpedo treffe! Got him! But just with the one eel - there's no second explosion. A miss or a dud torpedo, I don't know.

[Linked Image]

Now, I just need to finish the job, before there's any interruptions.

...to be continued!

#4537717 - 09/19/20 05:27 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I manoeuver to set up a shot with the stern tube. But the deck gun crew is ready and waiting, so I decide to give them a go, first. I want to give the orders rather than manning the gun myself, but it takes a while before I get the right combination. Waterline shots seem the best bet.

[Linked Image]

The gun is soon in action, pumping tracer rounds into the hapless target.

[Linked Image]

The officer in charge ceases fire after only three or four rounds. It's not hard to see why. There's an explosion astern on the merchantmen and it's obvious he's going down by the bows.

[Linked Image]

The end is so sudden that only the stern, the tip of a mast and some flotsam is still showing, by the time I get my binos onto him.

[Linked Image]

There's no point hanging around here. So I order a return to our plotted course...

[Linked Image]

...and then have the radioman send a contact report to Befelhshaber der U-Boote. We're soon turning tightly to port to get back onto a westerly heading.

[Linked Image]

I order the crew back to surface cruise stations. One thing I do recall from playing SH3 first time around was how much attention (too much, without a mod) needed paid to avoiding crew fatigue.

[Linked Image]

The scene of our first successful attack is soon slipping away astern.

[Linked Image]

Hopefully, it won't be our last!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/19/20 05:28 PM.

#4537731 - 09/19/20 07:17 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
A glance at the captain's log shows the entry for our recent success. It's only a small merchantmen, to be sure, but don't they say that little fish taste sweeter? Of course it's a helpless ship we've sent to the bottom and that's no joke for any mariner, but it is our job.

[Linked Image]

I order course towards BE61 resumed...

[Linked Image]

...and before too long, a radio message arrives. It's congratulations from BdU!

[Linked Image]

At long last we reach our patrol area and begin the zig-zag search pattern I'd set up earlier. It's dark when we arrive but soon, daybreak reveals fine conditions...and an empty horizon.

[Linked Image]

The bridge watch are on their toes as always, but there's nothing doing.

[Linked Image]

To pass the time, I decide to inspect the deck gun, but this too gets boring after a while. I could put in some gunnery drills, but this is not the time or the place for that.

[Linked Image]

Darkness falls again and when we reach the end of my search pattern, I decide to tell the navigation officer to set up the next one. This he does, but for the next grid square to the north-west, BE29. Fair enough, we'll give that a try.

[Linked Image]

We haven't gone too far when contacts are reported, including a neutral (green marker) to the south-east. Possibly, these are sightings from surface raiders, their supply ships, or other U-boats. The Tommy to the north-west looks a bit closer and is where we're going anyway, so I decide to go for him. As I used to do, I increase speed and set up a course to cut his track ahead, then double back towards him on a reciprocal course. This used to work fairly well for me, provided the contact wasn't a fast warship and didn't make significant course changes. We'll soon find out if it works this time!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/19/20 09:23 PM.

#4537738 - 09/19/20 09:08 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
We turn onto the course which should take us nearly head-on towards the enemy, and I slow down. But there's no sign of him.

[Linked Image]

Just when I've decided we've drawn a blank, one of the look-outs reports sighting a ship, off the port bow!

[Linked Image]

I soon pick him up on the UZO. It's another merchantman travelling alone!

[Linked Image]

Time to start tracking him. Only at this point do I realise that Tubes 1 and 2 haven't been re-loaded! For all that it's probably one of the greatest sims ever made, the need for a captain to micro-manage this sort of thing can be a bit of a pain in SH3, especially if you are new or like me, have not played for a long while and get caught out. Oh well, Tubes 3 and 4 are ready and they will do. In the meantime I order everybody not on watch into the forward and aft torpedo rooms.

[Linked Image]

I alter course to put the ship off our starboard bow as he's crossing right to left and I don't want to get into a stern chase.

[Linked Image]

I wait for the range to come down to 1,000m and then fire Tube 3. Tube 4 follows immediately afterwards.

[Linked Image]

This time, both eels strike home and leave the merchantman burning and sinking as I peel away.

[Linked Image]

We rattle away into the darkness as the ship sinks, slowly at first, then faster

[Linked Image]

I order the radioman to send another report to BdU. Old Doenitz likes to be kept informed.

[Linked Image]

This isn't going at all badly...so far!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/19/20 09:26 PM.

#4537827 - 09/20/20 07:49 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
The remainder of the navigation officer's search pattern is covered without further incident.

[Linked Image]

So I plot another zig-zag one, back down in Grid Square BE61.

[Linked Image]

Early on, there's a neutral reported not far away. By now, I'm beginning to worry about my fuel situation, although from the report I get, it looks like we have plenty.

[Linked Image]

A few hours later and it's the real thing - another contact, a Tommy. I set up what I hope will be an interception course and increase speed. By this time, the skies have clouded over and the sea state is picking up.

[Linked Image]

Not everybody on the bridge is wearing their oilskins yet, though.

[Linked Image]

Not long after turning onto the reciprocal course towards the contact, we spot her!

[Linked Image]

This is more like it - a big, modern cargo ship, five thousand tons at least. More than double the tonnage of the two we've snapped up so far.

[Linked Image]

Time to get to work!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/20/20 07:50 PM.

#4537829 - 09/20/20 08:16 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
The target is crossing ahead from right to left at a fairly coarse angle, so I alter course to port so as to come in well ahead of his track.

[Linked Image]

Then it's time to slip below the surface. I don't want him spotting me and zig-zagging or trying to make a run for it.

[Linked Image]

A quick check confirms I've enough people in the right places and that they don't have the little red exclamation mark which indicates they are seriously tired and in need of a good lie down. The pair in the diesel compartment who do are easily moved to their bunks.

[Linked Image]

The boat levels off at periscope depth. She's pitching a bit in the heavy swell.

[Linked Image]

Up to the conning tower I go, to raise the attack periscope.

[Linked Image]

I raise and lower the 'scope as we close in, to check that the course doesn't need changing. The angle off the bow is almost static, increasing very slowly from just under sixty degrees to just over. In between checks, down comes the scope.

[Linked Image]

Slowly, the range comes down. Not long now. Tubes one to four are at my disposal, along with the stern tube. In these seas, the deck gun is out of the question.

[Linked Image]

Now, just before firing, I'm keeping the scope raised so as to maintain a continuous stream of information on range and bearing to the target computer down in the control room below me. As the range comes down to under 1,000m, I order Tube 1 fired, then as the wake of the first torpedo appears in my periscope, Tube 2.

[Linked Image]

There she goes!

[Linked Image]

Now comes the agonising wait, with the stopwatch ticking away the seconds. Will my eels behave themselves in these poor conditions? I'll soon find out!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/20/20 08:20 PM.

#4537840 - 09/20/20 09:40 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
No point in hiding any more - it's too late for evasive action so I watch the periscope while the hand on the stopwatch nears the red line that indicated the running time of the first torpedo. My bow breaks the surface but even if they see it, there's no time to react. One way or another, that's ship's fate is sealed.

[Linked Image]

Got him! A hit astern, followed by another one in the same area.

[Linked Image]

I turn away from the merchantman. It's rapidly getting too close for further shots and my turn will bring the stern tube to bear at adequate range...if it's needed.

[Linked Image]

The ship is definitely down by the stern and losing way, but if he's sinking, he's taking his time about it. Rather than hang around to see if he'll go down, I let go with the stern tube.

[Linked Image]

This torpedo scores a hit more or less dead centre.

[Linked Image]

This time, the results are rapid. The freighter breaks its back and goes down burning. It's a satisfying but chilling sight.

[Linked Image]

A 360 degree scan with the periscope confirms we're alone, so I order the boat to the surface.

[Linked Image]

As we sail away, all that's left is some burning flotsam or oil fuel. The ship is gone.

[Linked Image]

That's one respectably-sized cargo that won't be sustaining Mister Churchill's war effort, thanks to U-100!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/20/20 09:48 PM.

#4537851 - 09/20/20 11:04 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
A quick check confirms we've met our minimum mission objectives. I wouldn't want to go home with anything less.

[Linked Image]

I decide that's what we'll do - sail back to Brest - after we've completed what's left of my search pattern in BE61.

[Linked Image]

Even if we don't meet anything else, I'll be happy enough with the balance sheet.

[Linked Image]

The opportunity to improve on this presents itself when a contact is reported. It's quite a long way south but I scrub the rest of the search pattern and plot my usual dog leg interception course.

[Linked Image]

It's still dark, overcast and stormy as we cover the last leg of the course, hoping to see the contact coming the other way.

[Linked Image]

We pass the point by which we should have run into the contact, and still there's no sign of him.

[Linked Image]

Right, that'll do then. Time to go home. We've got a reasonable reserve of fuel and have only just started to run out of reload torpedoes. So I plot a flat zig-zag back to Britanny, to give us a better chance of coming across more targets coming to or from the Western Approaches.

[Linked Image]

By the time it's daylight, it's clear the weather hasn't improved much if at all; but any conditions are good conditions when you're homeward bound.

[Linked Image]

It's hard to tell if my bridge watch feels the same way. They all look rather sombre and anonymous in their oilskins.

[Linked Image]

About twenty time-accelerated hours later, the weather has finally let up.

[Linked Image]

Now, we just need to avoid any anti-submarine patrols, air or seaborne, and we're home and dry!

...to be continued!

Last edited by 33lima; 09/20/20 11:05 PM.

#4537853 - 09/20/20 11:25 PM Re: U-100 - second patrol [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
A couple more contacts are reported to us on the way home, but they are too distant to chase. Instead, nearing coastal waters, I take care to plot the last stretch of my return journey carefully, so as not to run aground in the channel that will take me back to Brest.

[Linked Image]

We're soon cruising along with dry land in sight and our absent friends the seagulls squealing and swooping around us.

[Linked Image]

Quite rightly, nobody is letting their guard down just yet, even when the harbour comes into sight. I do think the fellow on the right might have changed out of his wet weather gear, though.

[Linked Image]

Past the western mole we go.

[Linked Image]

I slow down as we approach the row of massive U-Boat pens, which in reality weren't built until 1941.

[Linked Image]

Our destination is the first berth beyond the pens.

[Linked Image]

There it is! A view through the binos reveals that next to our berth, work is being carried out on a beached U-Boat which is minus its conning tower.

[Linked Image]

Finally, the boys can relax.

[Linked Image]

Slipping into our berth with the strains in my ears of the welcoming band with rest of the quayside reception committee, I have a last look at my log book entries for the trip.

[Linked Image]

Over twelve thousand tons sunk. I've earned a bit of 'renown' to boot and have some awards to hand out to the crew, but I'll do that later. For now I'll bask in the warm glow of a sense of a job reasonably well done, and the satisfaction of a really incredibly good simulation re-discovered. I'd almost forgotten that SH3 is one of the best-designed and implemented sims ever released and still a truly immersive experience.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.