#4536439 - 09/09/20 05:33 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The actor playing Paul seems like a wussy douche, the kind I'd want to punch growing up. Overall, I got a general feeling of typical Hollywood pretentiousness from the trailer, such as when he was asked to place his hand in the box and Sister Bene Gesserit stylishly flourished the gom jabbar to his neck.

I am aware of my own irony. Yes, seeing thousands of movies perhaps makes myself a pretentious critic, and I'm fine with that. smile

Paul in the book goes through a major character arc to say the least so I have no problem with the casting of an actor who may not quite look the part. If the actor already looks like a bad ass galactic revolutionary with superior fighting skills then there's not much change to show is there?

As for the gom jabbar reveal, it was virtually identical to the way it was done in the Lynch film. The gom jabbar design was the only major difference.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4536441 - 09/09/20 05:36 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Khai Offline
Given Up on the World
Khai  Offline
Given Up on the World

UK
trailers dropped!

and ... I think this may be good.. hoping!!

#4536442 - 09/09/20 05:53 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
But it wasn't the same. In the original film, the gom jabbar doesn't make a cartoonish zing when she brings it to Paul's neck, nor does it do a dramatic zoom in with multiple camera angle changes over the span of a couple of seconds, nor is the background blurred out to give the room a pretentious minimalist Steve Jobs Apple feel.

I feel as if Villeneuve needs to have his balls placed in a vice and cinched tightly until he knows himself the true meaning of pain, yet have the procedure be done in an oaken beer lacquered bar in the seediest part of town with rusty pointy teeth in the vice until he cries mercy. For all the surrealism that Lynch imbedded in his version of Dune, he kept the important scenes frank and honest to the viewer and didn't violate sensibilities with cartoonish absurdity, save for perhaps that floating ghast Harkonnnen, who, I'll admit, was farcically comical with his floating pustulence.

Villeneuve needs to spend a day with John Spartan. He'll straighten him out. smile

p.s. I made "pustulence" up. I think it is fitting, strong, and visual.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 09/09/20 05:55 PM.
#4536447 - 09/09/20 06:50 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Eh, the original movie was as true to the novel as a two-dime rag.

Lynch chose style over staying true to the story. It'll be the benchmark for the visual style, but most definately *not* on how well it represents the book.

#4536489 - 09/10/20 11:30 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
Eh, the original movie was as true to the novel as a two-dime rag.

Lynch chose style over staying true to the story. It'll be the benchmark for the visual style, but most definately *not* on how well it represents the book.

You are half correct on this.

The Lynch film was indeed a significant departure from the novel. However, Lynch did not have full creative control over the project. All creative decisions were jointly made between Lynch and the De Laurentiis family who were the executive producers. I have no doubt that the film would have turned out very differently had Lynch had full creative control.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4536491 - 09/10/20 12:08 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
It looks big with the sweeping camera angles and big CGI scenes..Its the details we will be looking at..Not sure I like the sandworm teeth yet..

#4536497 - 09/10/20 01:11 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I heard that at the last minute they decided against a Gom JarJar. "Meesa givin you big moy-moy pain." So, let's consider ourselves lucky with the syringe.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4536600 - 09/11/20 10:31 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Throw that abomination to the desert..

#4536761 - 09/12/20 06:30 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: letterboy1]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by letterboy1
I heard that at the last minute they decided against a Gom JarJar. "Meesa givin you big moy-moy pain." So, let's consider ourselves lucky with the syringe.

rofl

#4539639 - 10/06/20 06:27 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway

#4539648 - 10/06/20 11:12 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Yeah I saw that last night. I knew the film was going to be pushed back to 2021 but I didn’t think it would be so far into the year. Oh well.

#4539782 - 10/07/20 09:07 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Post production work no doubt.Just hoping its not scene retakes and they start muddling with the script this late in the piece...

#4539799 - 10/07/20 12:59 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
No, this is just not wanting to release a movie in the current situation with a lack of audiences willing to risk a movie show.

It's happening to most blockbuster movies right now.

#4539800 - 10/07/20 01:09 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Correct MadDog. The film has already been completed and "in the can" for a while now. However, it is possible that the director/producers could start getting second thoughts and might decide to change something with the special effects, editing, music, etc.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/07/20 01:10 PM.

#4539985 - 10/08/20 07:35 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Panzer:

Hollyweid is affected by the Virus. It hit them in the wallet. What with the Movie houses closing down so they will have to do a Paradigm change. Maybe, minimum budget films for TV or have 1 camera films instead of multi-camera or No-name stars. Until a cure or vaccine.

#4540049 - 10/09/20 11:33 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: carrick58]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by carrick58
Panzer:

Hollyweid is affected by the Virus. It hit them in the wallet. What with the Movie houses closing down so they will have to do a Paradigm change. Maybe, minimum budget films for TV or have 1 camera films instead of multi-camera or No-name stars. Until a cure or vaccine.

More specifically the movie theater chains/exhibitors are hurting and they are hurting badly. The film studios themselves are in a much better position since they can just sell their films directly to streaming services. Sure, the pandemic has meant that shooting films takes longer now due to the precautions but the film studios will be just fine. And besides, the studios won't have to divide the revenue from ticket sales with the movie theaters. When they license a film to a streaming service the studio gets 100% of the money.

#4541482 - 10/19/20 07:10 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida

#4541489 - 10/19/20 07:43 PM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I have always found the Fermi paradox very amusing because it unintelligently assumes that alien life would try and communicate with us through conventional means such via the electromagnetic spectrum by means of radio waves, microwaves or even visible light. Then, he went on to assume that because there is life on Earth, then there should be life elsewhere, and given the known age of the Universe at the time he made his posit(we now know it is much older), the surely life must have evolved elsewhere and thussly expanded in such a manner to flourish and emit such EM signals as to show they exist.

Thus the basis for the Paradox--we don't see, so there must not be.

I have long been at odds with Fermi, for a few reasons,

1) Assumption that life evolved elsewhere is foolish, when those who believe life spontaneously evolved from nothing on Earth can't even reproduce such biochemical spontaneity on Earth. Alternately see: panspermia and religion. All are faith based assumptions, when you boil the soup and look at what is left over.

2) Assumption that life would use conventional EM means to communicate. As I see it, any sentient, spacefaring civilization capable of interstellar travel would likely have found a means of communication vastly superior to linear transit of information on a 3+1(space+time) Minkowskian bound method. If they DID use a 3+1 means, then it would be a directed tight beam to either relays or planets which themselves would use tight beams. Regardless, the scatter would be minimized beyond our traditional acceptance of the inverse square law and EM particle/wave dispersion. Likely, if they possessed the technology to populate distant solar systems en masse, then the same method they use to traverse these systems rapidly would imply directly they found a way through 3+1, either by means of tunneling or higher dimensional channels--that to us, a Tier 0.7ish on the Kardashev scale, would seem Godlike and impossible. And, nicely enough, would be completely imperceptible by us, even if we were right next to the transmitter, nevertheless light years away as we may be.

FRBs(fast-radio bursts) are one potential example of perturbations of space time and spontaneous releases of huge amounts of energy, but they are a new item of study and thus far, conclusions have been against these being of ET origin.

Consider that we have only had radio communications for a century, and how quickly we have moved past much of this--and one can see quickly how any burgeoning civilization may approach this, like us, as a stepping stone to greater technologies and methods.

3) That we would be able to see evidence of their civilizations through telescopes because they would be all around us. I find this presumption false, as well, for one only needs to look so far as the history of life as we know it on Earth, and the numerous extinction events and setbacks life has had to face. We may very well be the only life alive in the Galaxy right now, or we may not. I realize this is the crux of the paradox--that because we don't see any evidence, it may not be whatsoever, but considering that life has gone through so many events on our own world, the absence of evidence does not disprove the existence. It is only the absence of evidence...

Given the enormous distances between stars, the seemingly impossibility for life to spontaneously burst into existence from our own studies, and the relatively young age of our Universe @ 13.77 billion or so years, what life there is may be spread so far apart, or have occurred with such infrequency that there's no wonder we haven't detected it--or, that it is so advanced that our sensors aren't capable of detecting their evidence because they've surpassed our technology by many orders and our comprehension.

Arthur C. Clarke's Third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

At least the article concedes that Sandworms are aliens. smile The spacing guild and the bene gesserit's technologies, from a reader's perspective in Dune, are magic.

Granted, there is the KIC 8462852 "Alien Megastructure Anomaly," of which incidences of variable dimming patterns have been detected from two different stars, that also is not proof of or against. They are very interesting data points for further observation.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/19/20 07:47 PM.
#4541525 - 10/20/20 01:27 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Fermi paradox discussions are always interesting smile if you like to get many viewpoints, and assuming you don't already know of him, a guy called Isaac Arthur has a very interesting Youtube channel where he talks about almost everything you've mentioned there.

It's not 100% that because life spontaneously started on Earth, then it must have also happened elsewhere. But given the size of the environment and numbers of systems, it would be likely that if it happened once, it can happen more than once. The book "The Selfish Gene" was an eye-opening book for me, making the link between self-replicating accidental molecules to complex life as a very simple process: the thing that replicates most efficiently replicates the most.

Although it's not 100% that any advanced alien species would definitely use electricity, it would be a reasonable assumption that most would go through an electricity phase of their progress. Maybe electricity has a 500 year use, so even we will move on to some other form of power in another 300 years or so. That means that, if we only look for EM signals, we're hoping to be inside a 500 light-year thick expanding "shell" of opportunity to detect any specific alien species' signals. Not great odds. But if electricity is used for longer, even if it's not comms, there will be an EM signal, because any electricity use produces an EM signal. Whether or not aliens are predisposed to want to find or communicate with other species is also not guaranteed, but if there are more than a handful of species in existence then surely some of them will. There are frequencies that can be judged as more likely to be monitored, the frequency associated with hydrogen is the most obvious, and is the most monitored. Any species trying to find or broadcast their existence would come to the same conclusion.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4541560 - 10/20/20 11:09 AM Re: "Dune" by Denis Villeneuve [Re: CyBerkut]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

This is a non-factor. Why? The people who are already fans of Dune and who will be watching the movie upon release have already read the books or at the very least read the first book. Casual fans who happened to catch the trailer online for the most part won't be inspired to read the books except for maybe a small minority.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.