Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 213 of 366 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 365 366
#4535671 - 09/02/20 10:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Wow! lots of stuff happening. It will take me a bit to catch up on everyone but from what I have read, there are some ripping yarns! Epower, what a score with the book!

Offizierstellverter Ivan Immer
Menen, Jasta 6
Sept. 2, 1917

The weather was horrid. The rain came down in sheets and the Jasta would be grounded for at least 2 days. Things had happened quick since his return from hospital. He had been informed by von Adam that his transfer to Jasta 12 had been put in. He had been shocked when Oberluitnant
Vogel had asked him to join his new command. He had agreed and Vogel had made the formal request to von Adam. Immer was looking forward to his new Jasta. A change of pace might be nice he thought. He had met Vogel once before and even though he did not know the man, he liked him. As he sat back with his coffee he thought of his first time back in the air since his injury. Von Adam had led Immer and 3 others to patrol from Houplin to Douai. South of Menen, 3 Nieuport 24's had dove on them. As they were diving, flight Eins had showed up above Immer's flight. "Fools" Immer thought. Nine against three.

Ivan pulled up out of the initial melee and rolled spotting a Nieuport closing on an Albatros. He dove in behind it and opened up with his guns. He saw the Nieuport shake as it disengaged and pieces of plane flew past him. He turned and gained on the enemy machine. It was flying in a straight line. As he closed the distance he opened up again seeing his tracers go into the cockpit. The Nieuport rolled over and disappeared. Ivan pulled up and looked but the enemy was nowhere to be seen. There was no explosion or dust cloud. He scanned around making sure the sky was clear and looked again. Nothing. "Where did that b#@tard go?" He thought to himself. He was sure he had crashed and noted the position. He filed a claim once back at Menen. His next surprise came at mess when he was informed he had been promoted. "Anyone with 6 victories had to be promoted!" exclaimed von Adam.

Ivan was feeling good. He had been comfortable back in the air and a promotion to boot! It had been a good day.[img]http://[/img][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files II Sept1.1.jpgII Sept1.2.jpg
Last edited by MFair; 09/02/20 10:54 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4535672 - 09/02/20 11:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Raine: Super looking Albatross.

MFair: Well written segment.

#4535679 - 09/03/20 12:41 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

MFair - Well done Ivan. That's the way to get back on the horse! Congrats on the promotion. Hope the Flak wienies confirm rather than claim your Nieup. Nice pics, btw.

#4535694 - 09/03/20 03:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory
2 Unconfirmed

Sept. 2, 1917

Rain Today. The Paris newspapers ( 2 days old) gave all our Press to the LaF It seems that they forestalled a Gotha Attack on Paris

https://giphy.com/gifs/flyboys-wwi-aircraft-fAnOpUJrKbTNKFMfPb/fullscreen

#4535723 - 09/03/20 01:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - Gothas over Paris, that can’t be good.

MFair - I agree with Epower, Ivan most certainly is back on the horse. Six victories and a promotion to boot, someone should be receiving a gong soon. Well done, and nice screenshots too!

Lederhosen - The plane you painted for Willi is not overdone at all IMHO, it looks super.

Robert - You’ll want to talk to OvS about that squeaky clean skin, it was his initial creation. I only added Vogel’s personal emblem and the black and white wheel spats. But I can definitely dirty it up at a later date if its owner so wishes.

Raine - You are most welcome, enjoy the new livery.

Fullofit - We always know what you mean. winkngrin

30 August 1917
St. Omer, France

(continued)

“Captain - Captain - wake up Sir.” The corporal was gently shaking the officer by the shoulder, and had been for the last minute or so.

“ummmph - huh - wha - what time is it Jenkins?” Captain James Tillson mumbled as he squinted through bloodshot eyes at his orderly.

“A quarter to seven Captain, you asked me to be sure and wake you at a quarter to seven.”

“I did? wh-why on earth would I have done that?”

“Not sure Sir, you said something about a twiggy being aloft before winds pick up - sorry Sir, you were a bit hard to understand. But you were most insistent about it last night when you came in.”

“Was I? And when was that?”

“Shortly past midnight. Here Sir, I’ve brought you some tea and a packet of headache powder - thought you might need them both this morning.”

“Thank you Jenkins, you’re a godsend”, Tillson commended, propping himself up slightly on his elbow as he took the packet and dumped its contents into the cup, giving the powder a moment to dissolve before tossing back the lukewarm drink. He handed the drained cup over to the corporal and plopped back down onto the sweat-dampened bedding.

“Will there be anything else, Captain?”

“no - no - I’m awake now, thank you again Jenkins.”

“Very good Sir. And the Albatros is being warmed up as per instructions.”

“good, yes - no - wait - what? The Albatros - being warmed up? Instructions? Whose instructions?” Captain Tillson, thoroughly confused, sat up immediately on the edge of the bunk, his head pounding as he did so.

“Yours Sir. You told me that, before I got you up at a quarter to seven, I was to go over to the hangar and remind the lads about preparing the Albatros for flight; that it was to be rolled out, warmed up, and ready to go by seven, providing it wasn’t raining. It’s not raining.”

“Oh my God! Hand me my trousers, quick man!”

Tillson sprang to his feet, then sat back down on the bed as a wave of dizziness and nausea swept over him. He dressed as quickly as he could, considering he was crippled by one of the worst hangovers he’d ever known. Corporal Jenkins assisted with the boots but only had them half laced as the Captain, shirt misbuttoned and tie tossed around his neck, charged from the hut, grabbing his tunic off the clothes stand as he stumbled out the door.

The previous evening was all coming back while the Captain raced towards the maintenance hangars as fast as his current condition allowed. He and the three officers from 11 Squadron, along with Lieutenant Bill Larpenteur, had made their way together to a goodly number of the cafés and bars in St. Omer, sampling the food and drink at each one along the route - mainly the drink. Lieutenant Abbott had done the majority of the treating, proving to make him most popular everywhere they went, not only with the other soldiers but with a fair number of mademoiselles as well. It was at their last stop when the captured Albatros became the focus of discussion, and it was the Captain himself who’d brought it up. Tillson could hear his own slurred words from last night, echoing through his pounding brain, mocking him. “Tiggy you’re, you’re a fine fellow, you really are - I wassh not being fair earlier - wouldn’t even have that bootiful sshiney Albatrosh if it weren’t for you - of coursh you can take it up for a turn - lesh go over there right now and I’ll tell the men to be shure and have it rolled out and ready for you tomorrow at sheven - wind won’t be up that early - of coursh if itsh raining that would not be - but it won’t be raining - no - no rain - I like rain though - do you like rain Tiggy?” How could he have been so stupid!

He remembered now too that once they’d managed to find their way back to camp, and then over to the hangar, he had indeed instructed the AMs there to make certain the Albatros was ready to go for the Lieutenant at the appointed time - he'd been downright vehement about it with the men. He’d then cheerily gone over each and every one of the controls in the cockpit with Abbott, and outlined all the idiosyncrasies he knew about the plane. He'd been like a child showing off his new toy, and he’d quite simply, and willingly, handed the young pilot the keys to his treasured V-strutter. Idiot!

As Captain Tillson neared the row of hangars he could hear the roar of a Mercedes inline being run up to full throttle, and when he turned the corner he saw his pristine Albatros skimming along the dewy morning grass, then lifting up, up, up, high into the air, as his already low spirits fell further down, down, down, in like proportion. He prayed to any deities willing to listen that his prize and the fellow flying it be brought back to earth safe and sound, and continued to watch as they climbed away into the sky - a sky filled with dreary, grey, low-hanging clouds. But it wasn’t raining. Unfortunate. He liked rain.

(to be continued)

[Linked Image]

#4535770 - 09/03/20 05:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hi Lou

Ovs original skin you say. It's actually nice to have a clean skin to work with. It makes it much easier to customize and weather. The down side of course is that those stock skins just look too fresh. I know we can't have it both ways so I guess I lean towards clean stock skins so that those of us who know how, can dirty them up to our own liking.

Very nice skin you created Sir!
Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4535805 - 09/03/20 10:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: epower]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by epower
MFair - Well done Ivan. That's the way to get back on the horse! Congrats on the promotion. Hope the Flak wienies confirm rather than claim your Nieup. Nice pics, btw.

EPower, as a friend once told me, “it’s not what you know but who you know.” Thanks again!

Lou, let’s hope he brings her back in one piece!

Last edited by MFair; 09/03/20 10:26 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4535831 - 09/04/20 03:01 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Oh dear, that wouldn't be Vogel's new Albatros that Tiggy is flying, by any chance?

Oh dear, oh dear!!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4535867 - 09/04/20 12:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Robert - No worries, it's not Vogel's. It belonged to Offizierstellvertreter Heinrich Jung of Jasta 8.

MFair - Yes, let's hope!

#4535896 - 09/04/20 03:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, that Tiggy is up to his schoolboy pranks again! Cant wait to see what comes of his flip with the Albatros.

I won't get any flying in during the long weekend, so I took the liberty of playing Saturdays flights. Just got the new PC running and the weather would let me do anything else. Have a great weekend everyone (on this side of the pond – I hope our friends in the UK has a good bank holiday weekend last week).

Tagebuch of Oblt. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel, PLM. HHO, EK1, EK2

Jasta 12, Roucourt, France

Part 32

1 September 1917

We have mysteriously acquired two comfortable sofas and three overstuffed armchairs for the pilots’ hut. I no longer cared to ask about such matters, yet I am afraid that I have created a monster in Steinmesser who will bring about my downfall if I’m not careful. His “band of marauding riffs,” as he calls his supply staff, have taken to thievery with a vengeance. I would not be surprised to find a Rembrandt hanging in the armourer’s shed or a Michelangelo statue adorning the pathway through the woods past the latrines. It’s only a matter of time.

Hochstetter has claimed ownership of the telescope this morning and stands outside braving the chill air that has come in after a week of rain. Suddenly he raises the cry that enemy machines are approaching. We pull on our flight gear and race to our waiting Albatrosen. The mechanics have started the engine but we must still hold on the field until they are warmed. Two or three minutes can seem like an hour. I craned my neck searching the sky. There are many clouds this morning and threats of rain showers. Klammer, one of my mechanics, gives me a wave and shout. I open up the throttle and the machine jumps against its wheel chocks. Cutting back the revs I waved with both hands and the chocks are pulled away. With a short rumble and a couple of bumps, the Albatros noses upwards over the trees. The enemy machines are still not in sight and I begin a climbing turn to the left while I search the sky. Suddenly, a flash catches my eyes. Flames are shooting up from the edge of the field and the last row of houses in the village. And there they are – two English RE two-seaters high above. I begin the climb.

[Linked Image]
"Flames are shooting up from the edge of the field and the last row of houses in the village."

The others are still far behind. I race the English machines westward. They are scrambling for home. As I approach, I see that I have misidentified them. They are the older Sopwith two-seaters – slow machines but nimble. Before I close to an acceptable range, the nearest Sopwith turns to challenge me. I let him come, as I must level off and gain speed. His opening burst passes wide, thanks to a heavy foot on my rudder bar. Now it is my turn. I climb and come about into a dive. The Sopwith is in a vertical bank and I approach him looking directly down into the cockpit and observer’s station. My first burst does damage. The enemy machine dives away and goes into a spin. I cut the throttle and descend in a slow spiral. Inevitably the Englishman will give up this little bit of drama, pull out of his spin, and head for the lines a treetop level.

I am wrong. The Sopwith continues, its spin ever tighter, and smashes into the ground at the edge of a small wood. Leutnant Gresser has caught up with me. He points to the crash site below and indicates that he has seen the enemy machine go down. This becomes my thirty-eighth official victory.

In the afternoon we patrol the line to the north. After about forty-five minutes, we encounter a large group of Sopwith Camels heading west. For several minutes the fight is quite tense. Then I managed to get behind one of the Englishman and fire. His machine rolls over and falls away, shedding both right wings in the process. Unfortunately I have followed him too far to the west for the kill to be witnessed.

5 September 1917

The foul weather returned and we have been grounded most of the week. To the north around Ypres, the English continue to batter away at our positions. They have gained some ground but had a terrible cost. We continue to watch developments in the East – the Bolsheviks seem to have little taste for continuing the war. A single-front war is Germany’s best hope at this time.

It continues to drizzle but we have orders to patrol behind our lines down near Cambrai. It is a long way to go and our patrol time will be limited as a result – two or maybe three circuits between Cambrai and Monchy. We put in our time and turn at last for home. I hate days like this with heavy clouds that surround you and limit your visibility. The enemy can appear above or below or behind you and any second without warning. And that is exactly what happens to us. The first warning is the sound of machine guns and the smell of phosphorus as rounds whip past our heads. We are four: Gresser, Joerke, Becker, and me. Our new friends or five British SE scouts. These are some of the enemy’s newest machines. They are fast and strong with two machine guns. This crowd sports fancy paint jobs. Most un-English of them! I pick one with a yellow nose and follow him as he dives away. His machine drops like a stone while I must coax my Albatros down gently so as to keep its wings attached. By the time I reach the Englishman’s low altitude he is already 500 metres away. In desperation I fire a long burst, and to my surprise, the Englishman turns about. If he wants a Kurvenkampf, I am happy to oblige. My machine turns tighter than his. It takes only a minute before the SE falls to my guns and spins into the mud below. I am nearly passed the enemy’s lines and climb back to the east accompanied by grey clouds of bursting anti-aircraft shells: Woof! Woof! Joerke is waiting for me.

Joerke did not see the SE fall, but Leutnant Mueller is able to get confirmation from our artillery positions in the area. I now have thirty-nine victories. The great Boelke had forty, I believe. Am I pushing my luck? We are all saddened that Gresser, like so many new men, has fallen. I order any empty chairs to be removed from the dining table and placed out of sight until we have someone to fill them.

In the afternoon we do another line patrol. This time we spot my favourite prey, the odd DeHavilland scouts with the stubby, swept-back wings. They are shooting up our rear trenches south of Monchy and we surprise them as we dive to interrupt their play. For a few minutes they make a fight of it. In the hands of a good pilot, these scouts are capable fighters at lower altitudes. My machine take some hits in a moment of distraction. But then the redoubtable Joerke takes care of the DeHavilland on my tail and I close on another. The Englishman panics and his movements become clumsy. At my second burst, his wings breakaway and flame spouts from his engine. I am now well over the enemy lines and come under very heavy ground fire. I am lucky to be able to climb away before serious damage is done. Unfortunately, all my friends have had their hands full and the satisfaction of seeing what should have been my fortieth victory is mine and mine alone. Number forty will have to wait.

Attached Files Shot09-03-20-19-19-21.jpg
#4535926 - 09/04/20 07:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory
2 Unconfirmed

Sept. 4, 1917

Finally got a break in the rain, Went up to do Zee close Escort to 2 Sopwith's on Recon. Close Escort 4 a/c, Our 3 Rovers reported to having a shoot out with some e/a's loosing 1 Spad for 0 e/a. I didnt see anything in the dark cloudy skies.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-09-04 11-47-18-74.jpgCFS3 2020-09-04 12-04-09-82.jpg
#4535927 - 09/04/20 07:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair, Immer has hit his stride without missing a beat. Lucky son of a gun getting handpicked by the illustrious Oblt Vogel. Ivan better keep up with the rest of men from Jasta 12 if he wants to stay in good graces. Now, when is nurse Ratched going to visit this sorry excuse for a Flieger and make all the other men envious, hmm?

Lou, so the mad aviator finally did it. He actually did it. And poor Captain didn’t even know what hit him. Not even one French prostitute was involved. Looks like Tiggy saved some money this time around. Now, will he like this new experience? Will it convince him to trade his trusty Brisfit for a single-seater. Will he end up in No. 56? Oh, the anticipation ...

Raine, enjoy your weekend off. Don’t forget, there is no work on Monday.
I don’t think Hans should complain at all. Better a Rembrandt hanging in an outhouse than having to feed the entire Jasta with rotten potatoes. Besides, looks like Vogel has his hands full with other matters anyway. Those Englanders are certainly a handful. No wonder Hahn isn’t seeing any of them. Vogel swats them all from the skies before Ziggy has any chance getting at them. It certainly looks like Vogel is pulling ahead with the claims to gain a comfortable margin, but not for long. Hahn is definitely keeping up as you will see.

4 September, 1917 05:00 morning mission
Wasquehal, Flanders Sector
Jasta 17
Oberleutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM
32 confirmed kills

They’ve just taken off to escort two DFWs from Ss-23b on front line recon between Arras and Bapaume. Ziggy looked to his right to check the progress of his Schwarm forming up on him, when he noticed some Schwarm Eins machines climbing and banking west. He then noticed Flak in the distance and amongst it a formation of dots, which were quickly approaching. It was an attack and his flight was caught on their back foot. He gave the signal to attack and dove right in. It was difficult to see what was what. And it became obvious their heavy Albatrosen were at a disadvantage this low against the agile Sopwiths. He tangled with one and was looking more to his rear rather than ahead. The Britisher was good. Fortunately for Hahn another Albatros came to the rescue and swatted the enemy off his back. Ziggy returned the favour the very next moment when he attacked the plane trying to hunt down his wingman. This one had white and blue bands all over the fuselage and wings. The two men were locked in a vicious circle just above a steeple of a church. Zygmunt’s mount dipped below the peak of the building’s structure. They were at treetop level and the enemy lost his nerve. He broke away from the duel and Zygmunt punished him for that with a long range deflection shot, that resulted in a faint vapour trail emanating from the Britisher’s plane. Hahn could now see clearly the ugly hump enclosing the gun breaches. They were fighting against the Camels and this one was trying to run away. Zygmunt continued to fire and eventually defeating his colourful foe. His plane dove into a street on the outskirts of Lille. Ziggy was already facing the aerodrome where more enemy planes could be seen. He quickly engaged another Sopwith circling around with one of his wingmen. He took a head-on shot and hit the plane. He could see faint trail behind. He came close, too close and had too dive under to avoid a collision. As he turned around he noticed smoke getting thicker and as he sent his final salvo, the enemy plane caught on fire and smashed into the ground. Zygmunt once more turned towards the aerodrome to look for more enemy planes. The sky appeared to be clear, but some movement below caught his eye. More action. Another Camel was locked in a dogfight with an Albatros. Ziggy dove straight at them and took another deflection shot. It seemed to connect with the Camel and the pilot realizing he was in trouble immediately pointed his mount west. Unfortunately the damage was too great and after a series of violent bursts of smoke from the exhaust, the plane began to slowly descend. Zygmunt fired at the damaged plane to expedite the “landing” process. The unfortunate Camel came quickly down after that last burst. Hahn guided his plane into a landing pattern after ensuring there were no more invaders anywhere nearby.

YouTube Link

4 September, 1917 11:15 noon mission
Wasquehal, Flanders Sector
Jasta 17
Oberleutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM
32 confirmed kills
Awaiting 3 claim confirmations

Nieuport #1:
Zygmunt and the rest of his Schwarm were just approaching Lens. The Balloon they were tasked with protecting was bobbing in a light breeze just north-east of the city. Hahn made his obligatory scan of the skies and found them devoid of any activity, apart from Schwarm Eins making its rounds above. Ziggy settled in to lazily circle the gasbag while waiting for an enemy attack. Something was gnawing at the back of his mind. Something was off. He took another gander at Eins and realized they were flying much too high. In fact, it wasn’t Schwarm Eins at all. At this very moment the flock of Nieuports circling above them dove as one and scattered Zygmunt’s formation. He picked up one on his tail right away. The fight for survival commenced with each pilot attempting to outfly the other. The Britisher was good and could make his Nieuport do wonderful stunts. It didn’t help any that Leutnant Brachwitz was getting in the way, nearly causing at least three collisions. The three pilots weaved through the air with Zygmunt having some luck and being able to keep up with the English pilot, while taking potshots at him. The Nieuport finally succumbed to the damage Hahn dealt him and the engine seized. The two Albatrosen circled the Nieuport with a still propeller. The enemy plane came down hard and bounced off the ground so high Zygmunt thought he would have to shoot him down all over again. The unfortunate Nieuport then came down and began to skid along the surface, through a copse and was only stopped by a side of a house, where it rested in a heap of debris.

Nieuport #2:
Hahn saw the Nieuport in the distance battling with another Albatros just ahead. The Albatros wasn’t doing so well. In fact, it was attempting a forced landing with the relentless Englander still on his tail, firing. Zygmunt continued to track the enemy and ended up on his tail and showing the Nieuport pilot what it feels like to be on the receiving end. In one long burst the Britisher was diving out of control and crashing into the wheat field below.

YouTube Link

Nieuport #3:
The Schwarm was nearly formed up and ready to return to base when a lone Nieuport attacked them from above. What a brave pilot! He even nearly shot down one of Zygmunt’s wingmen. That is until Hahn intervened and damaged the Englander. He continued to fire and the enemy jinked left and right to avoid his fire, but it was no use. In the end the Nieuport spiralled down in a lazy circle to crash below.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4535945 - 09/04/20 09:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, you will have to keep us informed of your score as the confirmations come in! Ziggy is on a tear.

#4535958 - 09/04/20 10:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, nice screen shots as always.
Fullofit, WOW! What a day! I kept waiting for you to pull a Klugerman on the church with that Camel and then knew you would have a collision in the second with your own man. I know you want to catch Vogel but you can’t if you are dead. Fine flying Sir!

#4535967 - 09/05/20 01:48 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, Zygmunt should find out in the morning if any of the kills have been confirmed. It’s taking longer than usual to sort this mess out.
MFair, you know I had that scene playing in my head while I was twirling around that church. And I agree, that Albatros almost crashed into me a few times in that second vid. Cheers!

#4536006 - 09/05/20 01:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Fullofit - Great videos, great flying, great shooting. Ziggy really is on a streak. And I agree with MFair about the “Blue Max” feeling to that dogfight around the church. Excellent!

Carrick - Such bleak weather, but such nice screenies.

Raine - A bombing of Vogel’s aerodrome, exciting stuff, and a super screenshot! Too bad about the lack of witnesses, but I am sure number 40 will come soon enough.

And here is the final installment of Tiggy’s Albatros escapade.

30 August 1917
St. Omer, France

(continued)

Lieutenant Frederick Abbott carefully and cheerfully put the Albatros through its paces in the grey, cloud-filled sky above St. Omer, getting a feel for the capabilities of the Hun plane. Captain James Tillson, through bloodshot and bleary eyes, watched helplessly from below, cringing at every maneuver his prize was put through. Despite the dose of headache powder he’d taken earlier his brain continued to pound relentlessly, while his stomach made a series of rolls and loops to rival those being done by the Albatros flying high above. So distracted was he by both worry and agony that he hadn’t even noticed Lieutenant Thomas Yale, who’d walked up and was now standing next to him.

“And I thought I was hungover. You look like something the dog threw up.”

Tillson, completely startled, snapped his head round at Yale and immediately groaned from the splitting pain the sudden movement generated.

“I blame your friend up there for all of this”, the Captain blurted. “Cozying up to me and feeding me all those drinks. This was his plan all along, wasn’t it. Put me in this misery just so he could fly that Alb. If he wrecks it I’ll…”

“You can stop right there mate!” Thomas, who was suffering his own distress from the previous night’s drinking, was in no mood for Tillson’s accusations and got directly in his face. “Freddy would never do such a thing, wouldn’t even occur to him. He’s a fine chap and a true friend. Give you the shirt from his back if you needed it.”

“Are you threatening me, Lieutenant?”, the Captain replied in a tone of false bravado while simultaneously taking a step back. “I - I don’t care how fine a chap you think he is, he’s - he’s up there now at risk of - of losing a very valuable plane.”

“Yes he is”, Yale grinned as he took a step forward, “and you’re the fellow who gave him permission to risk it, I can testify to that, and so can the Ack Emmas you ordered to ready the plane.”

“Now see here, you know I was coerced into this”, Tillson took another step back.

“I don’t know anything of the kind”, Thomas argued. “What I do know is that last night, of your own free will and out of the goodness of your heart, you offered Freddy the opportunity to take that Albatros up this morning for a turn.”

“Yes, but I - I…”

“Look, Freddy’s coming in to land right now”, Yale pointed towards the far end of the field as he turned and stood off to Tillson's side. “He’s not crashed your precious aeroplane now has he?”

“Well - no”, the Captain replied with a tone of relief as he watched the V-strutter settle onto the dewy grass.

“No, he hasn’t", Yale assured. "And if I know Freddy, after he’s pulled up here in front of the hangar and shut down, he’s going to come bounding to us, sans any sort of hangover whatsoever, and tell how spiffing it all was. And you Sir, are going to tell him that it was your pleasure to allow him the opportunity, aren’t you?”

“Well, I - yes - I suppose I…”

“Good. There, you see, it all worked out. No harm no foul”, Thomas smiled.

“No hangover you say?” Tillson questioned.

“It’s a mystery none of us has sorted out, but he can drink all night and wake up the next day completely unaffected.”

“Lucky buggar.”

Lieutenant Abbott taxied the Alb up to the hangar, closed the fuel valve, switched off the mags, and undid his harness while the propeller windmilled to a halt. As he was climbing down from the cockpit Thomas leaned in towards Captain Tillson and spoke once more, quietly this time. “Just so you know, it was my plan. I was the one making sure you had a drink in your hand all night, and I was the little voice in your ear saying you should let Freddy take the plane out.”

Tillson snapped his head round once more at Yale, and once more let out a groan from the splitting pain said movement caused him. He glared at his tormentor and was just about to say something when Frederick came bounding up as predicted.

“By Jove that was spiffing! Tommy, Jimmy, were you two here watching the entire time? Splendid! Reggie and Bill must still be sleeping it off - Haw! I must say, that Alb doesn’t handle nearly as fine as she looks.” Abbott was beaming.

“Tell us all about it, Freddy old man”, Yale encouraged, “while we walk over to the mess and have some tea to clear our heads.”

“Right-O!”

[Linked Image]

#4536024 - 09/05/20 03:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Nicely done Lou!

Offstv. Ivan Immer
Menen, Jasta 6
Sept. 5th, 1917

Ivan had informed Rourke to pack his kit as he would be transferring out. "I hate to see you go Sir" the corporal had responded. "All good things come to end Rourke." He had replied.

At 500 hours his flight was on its way to bomb Cachy. It would be a long wet mission in this weather. As the flight lazily turned back in forth to keep from over running the slow DFW, Ivans machine was hit by bullets as he saw a Spad streak by. He instantly dove on his enemy. He could not catch the Spad as it sped away unmolested. As he climbed back through the clouds looking for his flight, tracers streak by his cockpit again! "SOB is playing hide and seek in the clouds!" This time Ivan was on him and they started a twisting turning fight. Neither could gain the advantage but Ivan got in one burst which must have scared the Spad pilot as he sped away. Ivan could feel his controls were a bit sluggish and decided it would be foolhardy to try and catch his flight on the long mission. He landed at Houplin for some quick repairs and then back to Menen.

He was just in time to grab a quick bite to eat and they were back in the air to patrol around Haubourdin. Rain and cloud. Truly horrible weather to fly in. Over Haubourdin, Ivan saw seven machines above and ahead. Their movement told him all he needed to know when they dove in unison on the seven Albatri. His Albatros was immediatly hit with a furious burst and he dove away. When he tried to turn the controls did not answer! Glancing behind he could see the Camel coming down on him. He stayed in his dive as the wires screamed their protest. He pulled out at the last moment and to his relief, a good field was not far away. The Camel was coming around to finish what it had started. He hit the ground had and rolled to a stop in the rain. The Camel pilot flew over waved goodbye. "You were very luck today" Ivan said to himself. As he unbuckled from his machine, a lorry from Haubourden was coming down the road. The mechanics at Haubourden had seen the action. Ivan was sure glad he would not be walking in this horrible weather. Ivan phoned Menen to let them know of his plight. Von Adam seemed non to concerned. "Well your half way to Roucourt now Immer! I'll send your kit with a lorry to take you there." he had said. "What about my machine?" Ivan had asked. Von Adam was quick to respond, "Its not your concern anymore! Let me speak with whomever is in charge there."
[Linked Image]
In a few hours, Ivan was bouncing along the road to Roucourt to his new home.

Attached Files Sept.5.1.jpg
Last edited by MFair; 09/05/20 04:04 PM.

#4536025 - 09/05/20 04:00 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, thank you for your praise. It is so nice when the enemy planes want to fight and are not preoccupied with bravely running away.
That was a nice piece of subterfuge on Yale’s part. That is a friend indeed. I wonder though if Freddy hasn’t been bitten by a single-seater bug, despite his less than stellar review of the Albatros. I see a Vickers ahead and a Lewis overhead in Abbott’s not too distant future.
And those roundels look soooo wrong on an Albatros.

#4536026 - 09/05/20 04:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair, not the greatest finish in your old Jasta. Let’s hope Jasta 12 takes better care of their Fliegers. Well, the food will be better for sure. Here’s hoping for better luck in the new outfit.

#4536028 - 09/05/20 04:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks bud! He definitely got his butt handed to him. For a while, Ivan thought Christmas had been cancelled.

Page 213 of 366 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse