Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4535315 - 08/30/20 10:39 PM Agedabia!  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Aga-what? Actually, it's in Libya, where the battle represented in this Steel Fury mission was fought, in March1941. The mission, and the British tanks encountered, come with the STA2.2+Japanese Community Mod+JCM mission pack, all of which you can find here: https://wikiwiki.jp/pzfr/Steel%20Tank%20Add-on

Here we are, moving up under artillery fire. My platoon of five Panzer IIIs, all with the short 5 cm tank gun, is one of a company tasked with chasing off some Tommies in trucks, clearing two successive defensive positions, and then going firm just beyond the second one. There are also panzergrenadiers in half-tracks who will be pushing up the road that is our axis, so some mutual support will be in order.

[Linked Image]

We make short work of the motor transport and kill or chase off its former owners.

[Linked Image]

Time to get moving again! Unfortunately, my movements have confused my platoon who are lagging behind and need some clearer orders to get them closing up again.

[Linked Image]

We're soon back in line but have fallen behind our other tank platoons, which are up ahead and on either flank.

[Linked Image]

The shooting starts again as the others bump the first enemy defensive position.

[Linked Image]

We stop for a while and join in the fun. AP and MG tracers are flying back and forth while we engage some enemy tanks at just over a thousand metres. Their dazzle camouflage makes them easy to see on the skyline but hard to identify. I'm inclined to think they are the heavily-armoured Matildas, which is a bit of a worry. I get some hits without obvious results, but then see the first enemy tank burning and realise from their angular turret sides that they are lightly-armoured Cruisers.

[Linked Image]

After beating them up, we send a few MG rounds in the direction of an A/T gun which is soon knocked out by somebody else. Then we hose down the enemy infantry. While I'm doing that, the other platoons press on, joined by the panzergrenadiers who race up the road like they're in some kind of a race. The whole lot runs into more enemy tanks in the dead ground beyond the first position. Feeling rather left out, I edge out to the right, in an effort to flank them while avoiding driving over the low crest. This brings me under fire from what looks like a 2-Pounder A/T gun. Somebody manages to shut this up but I'm rather distracted. Edging up to the left of the crest next to a knocked out Cruiser, we drive right into the line of fire of one of a pair who appear suddenly on the far side.

[Linked Image]

I blast the Tommy with the HE shell I have up the spout but while waiting for an AP round to be loaded, I'm hit and my gun is put out of action. I back up into dead ground and clear the line of fire. But the 40mm AP round has gone straight through the plate next to the gun tube and that's me out of the fight.

[Linked Image]

The others have better luck. Mostly - not the light platoon, whose Panzer IIs have taken a hammering.

[Linked Image]

The SPWs have also taken losses and damage, though casualties amongst the grenadiers aren't too bad.

[Linked Image]

The consolation prize is that battlefield is littered with knocked-out A-13s, not to mention the MT further back.

[Linked Image]

I'd have been a lot more worried if I'd realised the defences included this dangerous 6-Pounder A/T gun.

[Linked Image]

Less so, about the 2-Pounders, which I did notice...

[Linked Image]

...or the Vickers Guns.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, despite the crippling of my own tank, it was an eventful, enjoyable and well-designed mission, and the desert scenery was rather beautiful. They even played the Panzerleid at the end! Highly recommended for anyone who fancies a go at virtual tanking.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/30/20 10:56 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4535328 - 08/31/20 01:49 AM Re: Agedabia! [Re: 33lima]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Well done 33 Lima.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.