Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4535026 - 08/28/20 02:40 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Just a short session tonight in the Panther II whoops, the King Tiger. Succeeded in the mission, achieved two kills, was roiling around breaking down the barriers when, boom, I was hit by an S102?? or some other big Russian tank destroyer. Where the heck did he come from? All crew killed, after the mission was a success!!! Damnit! Also I found out that rounds will cook off in dead tanks for some while after the original kill so keep your hatches closed or stay clear.
Nice pic 33lima. Hope you enjoy RedWolf. You might just want to go on to the Japanese website 33lima posted above and do the 2.2 mod right from the get go. Google translate does a good enough job to understand how to perform the 4 steps to make the mod work. Good luck if you do. If you do, go on and perform all of the steps before starting SF. I started it after only installing 2.2 and it crashed to desktop. I finished the install and it worked perfect. There is no need to test each step by starting SF.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

I found these guys hoofing it along at the beginning of the mission so I decided to give them a lift, Russian style!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think somebody is going to have to go on a diet. While I was on a Tiger driver training mission I came to a bridge. I was a bit leery, but after getting this far across this bridge and the side rails being knocked off because of this behemoth's girth, I decided to stop for a photo op and the instructor made this rude comment! Of course if you look close it does sort of look like the bridge is buckling under the weight of this fat Tiger. I hurried on across and proceeded to finish the mission albeit my feelings were a little hurt.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 09/01/20 12:43 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4535063 - 08/28/20 05:01 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Thanks Blade. smile Love those pics btw.

Yes, I downloaded and installed STA2.2+GMP+JCM from that Japanese website 33Lima posted (thanks so much!) - seems to be running just fine so far, but question: Are you guys using that 4gb_patch (large address patcher)? I have the steam version and it appears to perhaps be tweaked more than versions found elsewhere from the start (noticed it included, for example, JGSME and already had two mods activated by default) - wondering if the large address patcher is necessary. Also I found I didn't need the widescreen fix as it works fine without it (with the steam version).

Also, should I be getting tank interiors with the new tanks? I don't seem to have them.

Last edited by Redwolf; 08/28/20 05:05 PM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4535079 - 08/28/20 05:54 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Bad luck with that bridge Blade, always a bit risky. ATM I'm reading the autobio 'Panzer Ace' by Richard von Rosen and there is a pic of a nearly-identical wooden bridge that completely collapsed under his Panzer III (he was a gunner, later commanded Tigers) near Roslavl in August '41. The accident crushed some of his fingers which he was lucky to keep! It's easy to sweep off the railings and bracings on those well-researched SF bridges but I haven't seen one collapse yet - tho I have seen vehicles go over the edge!

Yes definitely using the 4GB patch here, Redwolf, applied to both shell.exe and starter.exe, and repeated every time a mod is installed which replaces them. Some missions with default terrain, effects and kit may not need it but some will. Speaking of effects, I got some mission loading CTDs with the 'Another Battle Effect Mod' which its maker says can be unstable but like he suggested on the STA/ITM forums, I made a version with just the sound folders (keeping the full path but deleting the unused folders and contents) and I prefer it - the MG34 I most wanted replaced is much better, main guns now sound scarier and firefights, a bit more like firefights.

As for tank interiors, most user-made ones don't have them, the Tiger I being one of the exceptions - it looks like the interior borrowed from T-34 -v- Tiger (which did the technical bits of tanking, like target indication, better than SF and had some other nice touches, but had just two playable tanks, poor animations, very few missions, no platoon command and control and awful AI).

[Linked Image]

There are user-made interiors now for SF's Panther A & D and the T34-85, which are donation-ware: https://itmsf2020.forumotion.com/t748-sta3-4-beta

Interiors, coming as they do complete with animated crew, are nice to see...

[Linked Image]

...but personally I don't miss them as we have the external and sight/periscope views for all playable crew positions.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/28/20 06:01 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4535080 - 08/28/20 06:04 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Good to hear Redwolf. I would say use what you need, but I myself did all four steps listed on the Japanese website. Then I applied the 4gb patch to both the shell.exe and then starter.exe . My understanding Is that this has to do with some of the larger mission sizes in these mods. I have only been in maybe 6 of the tanks, but they each had interiors. Check the Tiger II as I know that it has the interior stations in it. If it doesn't then there is something wrong. Good luck Sir.

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/29/20 01:06 PM.
#4535086 - 08/28/20 06:33 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Thanks gentlemen smile - was just making sure I wasn't missing anything. And indeed I will install the 4gb patch (was previously reluctant as it makes a change to exe files (unlike jgsme mods) and thought that perhaps steam version didn't need it. Thanks for the information.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4535133 - 08/29/20 03:42 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Tonight's Fight! cool

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Porsche Tiger is even in Steel Fury 2.2 .
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Check out all of the infantry in this mission!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/29/20 04:37 AM.
#4535147 - 08/29/20 08:19 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Lovely pics! And a Porsche Tiger! I didn't realise there was a VK4501(P) in STA 2.2 - must have come with the Japanese download!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4535155 - 08/29/20 01:01 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I think there are a lot of surprises in 2.2 yet to be discovered. I am assuming the Porsche Tiger is the sort of hybrid setup with the diesel? engines driving four Generators to drive the tracks and electric motor for the turret? A few more pics that I liked. I am just amazed by how many infantry are in some of these missions. Those missions do seem to have a little slow down in FPS but nothing unplayable as of yet. There is a turret displacing mod that I tried in this mission which I really like. This mod seems to only effect random tanks because not all of the T34s had the effect applied, but maybe that is a result of different models of T34s used in the mission and this mod only applying to one or two models? I am not sure, but I like the effect as it helps to let you know that they are definitely out of commission and also to help conserve ammunition.
33lima, could you post a link to the SF strategy tutorials which I think you wrote long ago and posted on Combat Ace please?I saw mention of one of them on the Japanese site and started reading it and now I cannot seem to find it on Combat Ace?

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have been using these LODs suggested on the Japanese website in the thumbnail below with good results. Just FYI to anyone experimenting. Located in the config.engcfg file.

Attached Files Untitled11.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 09/01/20 12:52 AM.
#4535161 - 08/29/20 02:40 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I understand that all but a handful of Porsche Tigers were build as Ferdinand/Elephant jagdpanzers, Blade, although the selected VK4501(H), that became the Tiger, got the Krupp-made turret designed for its Porsche rival.

There's certainly a good deal of extra content in that Japanese STA 2.2 compilation and its accompanying mission pack, which includes several for the E-79 'paper project' from Playstation. It's a beast of a tank and the mission I tried is a beast of a mission, with our advance being drenched by Soviet artillery fire and attacked by Sturmoviks! As you say heavy on the FPS but playable even on my GTX580, without turning anything down and with that LOD tweak applied.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just found a start-up guide for SF and this mod on the Steam SF discussion forum which players may find helpful: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2211816110

I wrote several mission SF reports, they're tagged and can be found in the CombatAce Mission Reports forum; the only one with any 'how to' element was this one on fire and movement: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/83356-fire-and-movement/ I have to say I don't do this often - many SF missions are a 'mad charge' and if you hang about, you get left behind and the infantry you need to be co-operating with get whacked!

Last edited by 33lima; 08/29/20 02:44 PM.

#4535162 - 08/29/20 02:45 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
That is the one. Thank you Sir. Those are great reports on the Campaigns. I have been reading and enjoying the 'Fury' Campaign AAR. Nice work, oh so many years ago. yep

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/29/20 02:45 PM.
#4535334 - 08/31/20 03:37 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I finally was able to get a winter mission to play nice and show the snow and winter skins and uniforms. I am still amazed at how good Steel Fury is and I am considering trying to find out how to get the3.x version if the webmaster ever grants me an account on their Forum.

S!Blade<><

Lets go boys!
[Linked Image]

Column formation boys! Fall in!
[Linked Image]

Checking the hits in the statistics page on this murder kitty showed that at least two of the T34s assaulted it and took off the left track.
This bad boy just continued to swivel its turret and fend off the T34s. None of them wanted to show themselves and fight it out even though this beast was severely wounded.

[Linked Image]

My Murder Kitty put a hurt on this bad boy! This guy was the lucky one of the crew that survived.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/31/20 04:12 AM.
#4535357 - 08/31/20 12:38 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Ah yes, Blade, that's one of my favourite missions, and looks great with or without the snow, which started falling heavily near the end, the last time I played it.

There are also some great missions with the JCM mission pack, complete with maps I haven't seen before, like Agedabia...

[Linked Image]

...and the three variants of the Hill 112 mission, playable in the Firefly, the Cromwell or the Panzer IV. The terrain is the best I've seen in SF for NW Europe and the dispositions and operations are militarily convincing, for both sides.

Our defensive positions on the low crest of Hill 112 are under artillery fire as I lead my two Panzer IVs off to the right...

[Linked Image]

Another platoon went well wide on the right but lost three knocked out and one immobilised, though the latter's crew didn't bail out and kept shooting.

[Linked Image]

Keeping behind the crest but at the risk of being skylined, I got a Cromwell and two Fireflies which were pre-occupied with the threat from the right...

[Linked Image]

...but ended up the loser in a shoot-out with a third Firefly coming up the middle.

Glad you're enjoying it too!

Last edited by 33lima; 08/31/20 12:40 PM.

#4535418 - 09/01/20 12:19 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
WOW! All of those pics are excellent, but that first one, That is AWESOME!!! The terrain looks good but just look at those clouds on the horizon and the setting or rising sun reflecting off of them and then also the battle scene unfolding. Really Nice!!! That looks like a fun mission to play. I have been favoring the African missions to try and get my feet under me for strategy and learning to use the controls efficiently so that I don't get whacked every time I play. I have completed a few missions, but more often than not I have come out on the wrong end of the stick! I am trying to get back to concentrating on writing so these are a mix of recent and older pics I never posted and I will take a back seat to your excellent pics and thoroughly enjoy any that you post here during my little hiatus Sir.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 09/01/20 12:58 AM.
#4535788 - 09/03/20 07:59 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
3 more leftovers. biggrin

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4535850 - 09/04/20 09:23 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Really nice evening lighting effects there!

Have located the missions for the Porsche Tiger/VK4501...

[Linked Image]

...and the Porsche turret King Tiger. I'll maybe try editing the 3d file with the Object Editor to drop the unbuttoned TC a bit.

[Linked Image]

One is difficult, attacking against deadly 57mm long-barrelled A/T guns which seem to have little difficulty in getting frontal kills; the other one involved defending against a T-34 variant with a similar calibre weapon but also these little fellows, and is a lot easier.

[Linked Image]

#4538684 - 09/28/20 06:27 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I love SF with it's STA mod. I love the fact it has infantry. OK pretty basic but it adds so much immersion.

#4538803 - 09/30/20 03:30 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I agree Wodin, the infantry just completes the immersion that is missing in most tank sims. I don't know if you have ever tried the STA 2.2 mod or not, but if you haven't you should. It seems to me that it updates the infantry as now they will do trench warfare. The attacking troops will occupy the enemy trenches if they push back or win the ground in battle, plus they just seem to fight a good bit better and not be quite as suicidal as they were at first. It is pretty darn convincing now. Tank crew could really use something like these infantry to push it over the top, if they also fix what they broke in the last update. I still really have high hopes for TC, but we will see if they continue to polish what is there now and hopefully next year announce a sequel. For now SF 1942 has me plenty satisfied.

S!Blade<><

#4542695 - 10/30/20 05:31 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Wel I have installed 3.4 over my original un-modded Steam version of SF 1942 and it does work, but it seems all of the new missions CTD. Obviously something needs to be tweaked. I will keep fooling with it until I have it working. In the meantime, I took the Matilda out tonight and was victorious in two missions with her. SF still is just a great sim IMHO!

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4560688 - 03/20/21 04:14 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
A New install and everything seems to be working well. yep

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4564186 - 04/14/21 12:13 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Just seen these looks really good, fantastic shots Lima and Blade, few quick questions if thats ok?

Il possibly wait for a sale until i purchase (Never really played a tank sim) but, how is it with Win 10? and Mods? Im confident with JSGME ect.is there any essential mods that are needed/recommended? Cheers guys

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.