Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 210 of 366 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 365 366
#4534550 - 08/24/20 02:09 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, great work by Ziggy. He did a wonderful job with our Spads. I was getting worried that he would to quickly catch up with Vogel, but as you see below the claims gods have been smiling on Hans-Dieter of late.

Lou, it is wonderful to see Freddie back in action in doing so well. Those were some truly magnificent photographs.

Epower, I think I have read your London episodes at least three times! Rich stuff. Since Covid is not letting me get over the England, your stories are the next best thing! I particularly enjoyed the old photo of the Chop Room. That's where I sat last time I was there. And good on you for including Polly's party piece!

MFair, glad to see that Ivan not only survived his collision but profited from it. You need to keep one piece so our stories can merge!

Carrick, good to see that Marcel already has a victory. Let's hope he gets a more up-to-date machine soon.

Vogel has arrived at his new squadron and has set out to put his stamp on the place.

Tagebuch of Oblt. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel, PLM. HHO, EK1, EK2

Jasta 12, Roucourt, France

Part 28

21 August 1917

“Pastor” Loerzer makes a low pass over the château. I see a long cinder drive leading straight as an arrow from the aerodrome road to the main entrance of the imposing four-story manor house. From the air it looks like a palace. There are buildings, perhaps hangars, in the nearby woods and a line of canvas hangars along the south side of the adjacent field. The DFW levels out and skims the treetops, settling onto the smooth grass. A car approaches as I dismount and thank Fritz Loerzer, once again asking him to express my appreciation to his brother for all he has done for me.

The car that has come for me carries the adjutant of Jasta 12, Leutnant Oskar Mueller. He informs me that the personnel of the Jasta are on parade at the château and are awaiting my inspection. In the car we chat briefly. The squadron is equipped with Albatros DVs. I am used to these. I explain that Jasta 26 was in the process of adopting Albatros DIII OAWs, but I had not yet been able to assess them. He explains that the pilots feel their Albatros scouts are outclassed by the newer English machines. It has been four weeks since the Jasta last scored a victory. The car passes between two granite columns onto the long drive I had seen from the air. I see the men drawn up in review, two ranks of officers and NCO pilots and four ranks of mechanics and others.

As I dismount, Mueller calls the parade to attention and then to open order for inspection. He turns, salutes me, and announces the parade state – eleven pilots and sixty-nine others. I immediately call for the parade to return to close order and to stand easy. I invite them to fall out, gather around, and sit on the grass. I introduce myself quickly and explain that I will learn a great deal more about each one of them by having a good chat rather than checking their buttons. I will begin later today with the pilots, and then with the mechanics, and then with all other positions. I explain that one thing matters to me above all – that we become the most feared Staffel on the Western Front. “I also believe,” I continued, “that excellent performance merits excellent recognition. Any Arschloch can be miserable in a war. We are going to represent quality in everything we do, including the way we live. But you must earn it. We start today to build our reputation. Immediately after this parade I will give the adjutant a checklist for my inspection of the workshops and all squadron facilities. I will inspect tomorrow evening only the things on that list. You know what they are. I trust they will be perfect.”

With that, I end the parade. Mueller questions me gently about my approach. “How will you find deficiencies if they know what you will be looking for?” I explain to him that I don’t want to find deficiencies. I want to promote good performance. The men will give me exactly what they see on my list. And when giving me that has become habit, I shall make a new list.

“Now,” I say, “what’s for lunch?”

Lunch is a vegetable soup with black bread. Our supply NCO has had a difficult time with the major at the commissariat. I tell the adjutant that we will be receiving a new senior NCO to be in charge of equipment and supplies – Offizierstellvertreter Steinmesser. Our supply NCO will work with him. “Steinmesser’s approach will not be exactly by the book. Your job, my dear Mueller, will be to keep him out of jail while he does his job.”

At two in the afternoon I lead my first patrol with Jasta 12. Our machines are lovely. Each one has a black tail and the rear part of the fuselage is also black. One of the fellows, Leutnant Schobinger, has a machine that is a little different. It is mostly black with an elongated oval on each side of the fuselage. With three victories, he is the squadron’s most successful pilot.

Our task this afternoon is to fly a defensive patrol over the aerodromes west and south of Douai. One of our machines, Leutnant Hochstetter’s, has engine problems on the ground and does not take off. Our first twenty minutes in the air pass without excitement. Then a group of English triplanes arrives to liven up the afternoon. We outnumber them five to four so I stay above the fight and watch my new comrades in action. I notice that only Schobinger uses his Albatros to advantage. The others attempt to turn with the triplanes – a losing proposition. After several minutes without decisive result, the English machines break away. I take this opportunity to dive on the rearmost. My first burst damages the triplane, which slows noticeably. I pull abreast of the Englishman and signal for him to land. I see the young pilot smile and acknowledge my signal with a wave. His machine flattens out over a broad field of wheat, but at the last instant his motor comes to life and he zooms up and away. It is too late. In an instant I am behind him and firing. The wings of his triplane fall apart like a children’s toy and a stream of orange flame belches from in front of the cockpit. My young English friend is no more.

[Linked Image]
"My first burst damages the triplane, which slows noticeably."

I turn to find Feldwebel Plueschow’s Albatros a few hundred metres behind. He falls into formation with me and we returned to Roucourt. I have my thirty-second victory.

22 August 1917

Shortly after seven in the morning I lead Fw Plueschow, Ltn Schobinger, and Ltn Becker on a patrol of the lines between Vimy and Bapaume. With only four machines I gain plenty of height before approaching the front. The ground below shows the effect of the springtime battles. It is badly torn about in a strip nearly 15 kilometres deep. And towards the south end of our patrol beat I see something unusual. The trench lines stand out white against the dark earth. Here the ground beneath the fields is chalky. I am staring down at the unfamiliar terrain when I hear the tak-tak-tak of machine guns. In an instant I snap my machine about. Nothing is there. Then I see Schobinger signalling to me. He has fired his guns to get my attention and is pointing downwards. A group of seven silver-white Nieuport scouts is crossing the lines well below. Already three Albatros scouts are stalking them like vultures – another patrol from Jasta 12! Our combined force will make it an even fight. Without delay I dive on the enemy machines.

It is a wonderful scrap. The Nieuports are well-handled and for several minutes I am occupied by two of them. After a while, Hochstetter comes to my aid and I am able to surprise one of the Englishman with a good burst. His Nieuport spins down, apparently out of control. I am not deceived. I follow and catch him again as he pulls out of his spin. This time it is all over for him.

[Linked Image]
"This time it is all over for him."

I see another Nieuport a kilometre off to the north. He is trying to disengage. I am able to cut off his line of retreat. This fight is quicker. My first burst causes the English machine to fall out of control for a thousand metres. It falls into the enemy lines east of Bapaume.

I return with Hochstetter to Roucourt. Both my Nieuports were witnessed and are confirmed as victories number thirty-four and number thirty-five.

In the afternoon we patrol down to Cambrai but see nothing. Plueschow is forced to go home with a dud engine. On our return to Roucourt he is not back. We wait for news and learn after dinner that his machine caught fire in the air. The young Feldwebel is gone.

I put on a pot of tea and begin my interviews with the pilots.

Attached Files Kill 33.jpgKill 34.jpg
#4534554 - 08/24/20 03:06 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Achtung!

[Linked Image]

It is the Kaiser's Royal and Imperial command that the following individual be recognized for his valor:

[Linked Image]

Citation to the award reads as follows:

Leutnant der Reserve Zygmunt Dolf Hahn, in the field since June 1917 and service with Jasta 17, has engaged in countless aerial battles with the enemy. He has demonstrated exemplary courage and drive even when recovering from severe wounds, and he has destroyed twenty-six enemy aircraft. He has demonstrated to all who served with him the force of will and determination to dominate in combat that marks the finest tradition of German arms.
Awarded the Orden Pour le Mérite on 23 August 1917.

You make the Vaterland most proud.

#4534558 - 08/24/20 03:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Epic Stories, some good enough to Re-read this weekend.

#4534560 - 08/24/20 03:58 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Fullofit - Schwarmfürher, his old DV back and now Ziggy gets gonged with the PLM! That should take care of the itchy neck. Congrats on the Blue Max!!

Lou - Enquiring minds want to know - what's Tiggy Winkle's new Pirate nickname. Drink up me hearties! Yo Ho! Lovely screenshots of the Dawn Patrol. All my early patrols are nearly full light. Did you adjust time backwards?

Raine - You set a fine trail of breadcrumbs for me to follow around London. Infinitely superior to Rula Lenska from those absurd Alberto VO5 commercials in the 70s. Glad you're enjoying. Nice pull by Vogel getting Steinmesser as his new procurement NCO. If Vogel maintains his current pace he might just be giving his new pal MVR a giddyup.

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 17 of many

20 July 1917

The International
London, England

A note from Kingsman. Slacks and breeches were ready. Final fitting for tunics which would be on the 24th.

More good news. Mr. Tracy came through with Tickets to Chu Chin Chow for tonight. The show was the most popular in London and I’d had no luck going through normal channels.

Eliza lay close against me, head nestled in the crook of my shoulder, her arm draped across my chest, and her thigh rubbed lazily on my own.

“What do you want for your 21st Birthday?” she asked.

“My 22nd birthday, and to tell you something, Eliza.”

She put her fingers to my lips as she had that day in Corbie.
“I know, Oliver. How could I not? Isn’t it enough that I know?”

“Why, Eliza? At least tell me why.”

“No.” She put her fingers to my lips again. “Oliver, please don’t wreck this. Take things for what they are. You’re marvelous! What we have together is marvelous! With you I’m free. I can be myself. We make each other happy. Don’t ruin it. Please….”

She hugged me close.

I took her hand, kissing the base of her thumb and the inside of her wrist. I turned her hand over, examining at the length of the fingers, the long nail beds. These the hands so remarkably skilled. Fine lines down the inside of her wrist. So faint. Scars? I couldn’t be sure.

“What are you doing? That tickles,” she said, pulling her hand away.

“I never really looked at your hands before.”

“Why am not surprised, Oliver? Your focus on my person has ever been elsewhere.”

“Lovely, like the rest of you,” I said. “Have they always been so dexterous? Holding men’s hearts as they do, and giving them life?”

She ignored my entendre.

“They’ve always done what I wanted them to do,” she said in answer, “drawing, sewing, both fabric and now flesh. You would have been foolish to challenge me at jacks when I was a little girl. It wasn’t long before the other children my age refused to play. I always won.”

“If only they played Jacks in Monte Carlo,” I said.

[Linked Image]

Chu Chin Chow was a favored ticket and hard to come by. His Majesty’s Theatre was packed to bursting, mostly with troops on leave and their ladies. Featuring the great Oscar Asche and Lily Brayton the play was a take on the old Ali Baba and the 40 thieves tale. Quite violent as it turned out with the poor eponymous merchant Chu Chin Chow murdered in the first ten minutes by the evil bandit Abu Hasan, who then assumed his identity. The slave girl Zahrat gets her revenge in the end, stabbing Abu Hasan to death then eliminating all his henchmen by boiling them alive in oil! I found that last bit a trifle unsettling. In the end, lovers reunite and all ends happily.

What was provocative, to say the least, were the costumes of the chorus girls. Highly revealing would be an understatement. During the interval, I heard of a brewing row with the Lord Chamberlain himself, who now acts as the official theatre censer. Eliza found the entire situation both absurd and amusing.

Collecting two flutes of champagne, I literally bumped into an old friend from training, Tom Gleason! He is with No. 20 Squadron, at Ste. Marie Chapelle, still flying Fees! Gods protect them. I hope they get their Bristols soon. While still Lieutenant, Tom wore the white and purple ribbon of the Military Cross. We retrieved our bubbly and I introduced him to Eliza. Tom had eyes for one of the scantily clad dancers in the chorus, the hound. He was always such a smooth talker with the ladies. We arranged to meet after the show.
More dancing at Murray’s. We met Tom and his chorus lady friend Beatrice, who had a rather social Aunt in Marylebone. We repaired there for a late night after party and didn’t make in back to the International until 4 o’clock.

21 July 1917
My Birthday!

I floated in a state of euphoria. Eliza lay on her side, levered up on an elbow. The early afternoon sun shining through the window reflected on Eliza’s hair as it had in the grove so long ago, lending her an aura of white gold.

“Am I your best birthday present ever?” she asked.

Not this. Not now.

“Yes, absolutely.” I replied at length. “And you will be again, my dear.”
As I rolled toward her with an evil laugh, she hit me on the head with a pillow. “You’re incorrigible,” she said, then looking at me quizzically she continued, “you had to think about your answer. I’m not sure how I feel about that.”

She knows

“I’ve had some wonderful birthdays, Eliza. Presents too. There was my bicycle, my first rifle, then my horse Felix, how could I forget him.”
My desperate rearguard action only postponed the inevitable.

“I’m delighted that I surpass your horse Felix, and greatly relieved.” she said dramatically. “I thought for an instant it might be a woman, from your life of adventure on the high seas.”

“Who said anything about a woman? I was talking about a rifle and a horse.”

“Oh it was, wasn’t it?” Her eyes flashed and she sat up, taking the sheet with her. “Your face betrays you. Never become a spy, Oliver. You have no talent for deflection. Don’t be upset. That’s not a bad thing. Who was she, this woman who challenges my place in your thoughts?”

I must never play poker with this woman. She knows all my tells!

“You’re jealous! I never thought I’d see that day.”

“I am not! I’m merely curious,” she said, with the barest trace of a huff. “Well?” she persisted, this time with raised eyebrow.

“All right, it was a woman’” I said. “Are you sure you want to hear this?”

“Oliver, you have my complete attention. Tell me her name.”

“Mayavati was what she called herself, though I doubt that was her real name.”

“Why wouldn’t it be?” she asked.

“In the Hindu pantheon, Mayavati is an incarnation of Rati-Devi, the goddess of love, carnal desire and sexual pleasure.”

“Oh, I see. She was the daughter of some wealthy merchant then? The concubine of a pirate chieftain?”

“She was… a kind of courtesan, a companion, someone far more than a mere woman of pleasure. It’s rather difficult to explain. There’s no word for it in the West. I didn’t know until afterwards. Smokey arranged things, though I have no idea how. It must have cost him two months’ pay to secure her services for the five days of our acquaintance.

Realization dawned on Eliza’s face. “That’s why you didn’t tell me about your birthday. Forgive me, Oliver,” she said. “I shouldn’t have pried. She’s the one, isn’t she, the one you thought of when I teased you in Corbie?”

“Yes.”

“And she taught you how to do that…whatever on earth THAT was?”

“The Sitar of Arjuna? She did, and other things. I didn’t grasp it at first. The chakra combinations confused me, but she was a very patient teacher.”

Eliza dropped back down onto her elbow and sidled up to me. “Then I shall always wish her well,” she said. “I am, after all, a beneficiary of her instruction.”

“It doesn’t always work, you know,” I said. My fingers ran lightly down Eliza’s back, raising goosebumps in their passage, then lingered at the base of her spine. “The woman must be sensitive in body and receptive in spirit. Even then, it takes dedicated practice, or one risks becoming rusty.”

“We can’t have you getting rusty, Oliver.”

“No. It wouldn’t be right,” I said, and pulled her to me.

Early afternoon and we lay dozing.

“Oliver, these past days have been wonderful. You spoil me, shamelessly.”

“I like spoiling you,” I said.

“I know, but you must have spent a fortune. Let me do something for us. Let’s get out of London and go somewhere green, someplace where there aren’t all these men on leave to remind me of the war. I want to see countryside. I have an aunt in Aldermaston, near Newbury. We could visit her.

“Is this the meddlesome aunt?”

“No, this is the eccentric one. She’s really a second cousin but I’ve always called her Aunt Rhea.”

“So we simply telephone eccentric Aunt Rhea and say, ‘we’re on our way’ and that’s it?” I said.

“Now that you mention it, I believe I telephoned her the day we met Smokey. She was overjoyed to learn that I was in London and very curious about you.”

“At least my sudden appearance won’t come as a surprise, though I don’t imagine Aunt Rhea would approve of us sharing one of her guest rooms, or bathtubs.”

“Oliver, I adore the fact that you find me, and my body, endlessly fascinating but we can’t rut like wild animals in season this entire time,” she said.

“We can’t? Oh dear. That’s most disheartening. Wherever will I find the strength to carry on?” I said.

“My poor Young Bull,” she said. “We can always hold hands and think about General Pershing. Come on! It will be fun. If we hurry, we can catch the 3:30 from Paddington.”

Eliza had thought this thru well in advance. Why? Was Aunt Rhea an escape if things didn’t go well with us? We’d been having a grand time. What was this about?”

The Great Western line passed thru Reading. I wondered if Sergeant Major Mulvaney was still molding officer cadets or had returned to serve in France.

[Linked Image]

Aunt Rhea bore the name of the Titaness and possessed a figure to match. She was a substantial woman of large frame and generous proportions, who stood at least 6 feet in height. It was difficult to know for certain as she wore boots with a rather tall heel. The light cotton duster she wore belted at the waist. Greying curls sprang defiantly from under a man’s motoring hat. No fancy driving bonnet for her. Goggles she pushed up atop her head. A beaming smile radiated from a red, windburned face as she saw Eliza.

“Oh my dear Eliza!” she cried in a wandering contralto, gliding forward along the platform to envelop Eliza in a crushing embrace. “Look at you! Has it really been 4 years?! And your hair! How very modern.”

“Auntie, this is my friend Captain Oliver Winningstad, said Eliza. “Oliver, my aunt, Mrs. Tennyson.”

“A pleasure Madam,” I said, taking a hand as large as my own.

“Our famous aviator, aren't you a sight,” said Aunt Rhea, looking me up and down all the while. “You are most welcome, Captain Winningstad.”

Aunt Rhea’s voice had a musical quality, as if two people were speaking simultaneously but at slightly different pitch. Her mirthful expression led one to believe she might burst out laughing at any moment.

A white touring car awaited, complete with a winged victory atop the radiator.

“Oliver, I’d see to your cap if I were you,” said Eliza with a knowing grin.

Aunt Rhea drove like the wind and with considerable skill, taking each corner at its apex and opening the throttle as she exited the curve. The Daimler roared in response, like a wild thing finally set free after long confinement and sent us hurtling down the country roads. I couldn’t see the speedometer being otherwise engaged holding on for dear life, but if I were any judge of speed, we had to be exceeding 90 miles per hour on the straight sections. I silently prayed there wouldn’t be any livestock around the next bend. Aunt Rhea’s ample physique kept her in her seat. Eliza hooked one arm around the seat and braced the other against the passenger door. I was in the back, like an observer in a Fee sans harness. One hand for the luggage, one hand for myself.

It was better than any roller coaster. I arrived exhilarated if somewhat windblown.

Aunt Rhea pulled the Daimler to a halt in her drive.
“Here we are my dears,” she said.

[Linked Image]
Austro-Daimler 1912 Prince Henry variant. 5714cc 95 mph. World’s fastest production automobile in 1917. Ferdinand Porsche, designer.

[Linked Image]

Pepperell Cottage nestled on 10 acres of mixed woods and pasture, which lay adjacent to Aldermaston Park, the vast estate of her neighbor, General Keyser. Aunt Rhea’s home was a sprawling two-story brick country house of 9 bedrooms, complete with ivy covered walls which enclosed an enormous well-tended English garden. Aunt Rhea’s children were all grown. Of her sons, the eldest served the intelligence bureau in some mysterious capacity, her second was a Commander in the Royal Navy, and her youngest was a Captain with the British Salonika Army in Greece. The three daughters, all married and living in London, served the war effort in the Capital. Rhea’s husband died before the war. She lived alone now, save for a middle-aged couple who dwelt in the groundskeepers cottage behind the vast garden; the beleaguered housekeeper, Mrs. Grimsby, and her husband Horace, who served as Gardner and sometime automobile mechanic. Eliza told me Aunt Rhea was not above soiling her hands working on her own motorcar. The cook and assistant housekeepers had taken jobs in a munitions factory, so Rhea employed various women from the village to help with such domestic labors.

The floor of the old house creaked loudly as I followed Mrs. Grimsby down the length of the second-floor hallway to my room. Such a view! I could see the entire expanse of the garden and the green pasture beyond, all the way up to the woods of Aldermaston Park. After she had gone, I retraced my steps along the chirping boards. It was practically a nightingale floor! Intrigued, I walked it again several times, noting my silent steps near the Eastern wall, and the equally silent floorboards along the western side if I crossed the hallway after the third door.

I returned to my room in silence, following this route. Looking back down the long hallway I saw Eliza standing just outside the entrance to her room at the far end of the hallway. She was shaking her head, laughing quietly. Then without warning she walked the same path, with a few minor variations. The floor offered no sound. Ghosting forward, she kissed me, and without a word returned on the same silent path back to her room and closed the door.

Dinner would be at the usual late hour but a less formal affair. Aunt Rhea busied herself with the cook. The sun was still well above the horizon, so we explored the garden, and the woods nearby before walking down to the stream about a half mile away. The day remained hot. Eliza led us to a stream at the edge of a cool birch wood where a fallen tree served as a seat. The stream widened here forming a large deep pool.

“I used to come here to swim when I’d visit Aunt Rhea. I spent the entire Summer with her when I was 16 and my parents were traveling on the continent. She took me to London of course, but most of the time we spent here. I already knew how to ride but she taught me to drive as well. It’s too bad all her horses have gone to the cavalry.

“A swim,” I said. “Now that is a fine idea. Who knew England could be so warm? I was spoiled having access to the RAC.”

“Tomorrow then,” Eliza answered. “I wish we had more time, Oliver. There’s another push coming and soon. When I left, they were clearing out the hospitals and sending all the patients to England. Any man who could physically survive the journey, and a few they shouldn’t have moved at all. Every day, I half expect a telegram cancelling my leave and ordering me back to France.”

I put my arm around her as we sat there by the stream. “There’s time enough, Eliza,” I said. I hoped it was true.

Last edited by epower; 08/25/20 02:08 PM.
#4534561 - 08/24/20 04:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory

23 Aug 1917.

2 Section's 5 a/c had been down for about 2 hrs from a fruitless Patrol. when Arty called said a few e/a' s had crossed the line and was headed this way. As soon as we lifted of Bombs went of in the hanger and shop area. We circle and climbed looking for the Boche as we reached 6,000 we spotted the e/a s up at 13000 or higher
Nosing in a glide for Hunland. We couldn't catch them ,but spotted and engaged a bunch of Scout types in a Melee below and starboard of us with some Sopwiths. A perfect set up for me in my under powered machine. As the Hun did Zee a 180 turn to bounce a Sopwith I settled on his tail and Banged away. I must have hit him early on because his flying was mediocre at best so I kept hammering away Rata Tat Tat Tat Finally, after a long time smoke then he went into the earth below After landing, I heard the flight got 1 e/a also with no losses. My mech said that I had 9 303 bullets left in the Vickers.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-08-23 20-18-12-70.jpgCFS3 2020-08-23 20-18-36-97.jpgCFS3 2020-08-23 20-21-16-95.jpgCFS3 2020-08-23 20-21-39-98.jpgCFS3 2020-08-23 20-29-31-02.jpgCFS3 2020-08-23 20-24-31-83.jpg
#4534578 - 08/24/20 01:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - Marcel did well bringing down that Alb ace, in particular given only a single gun to work with. Those pics of the aerodrome bombing are first-rate.

Epower - Another outstanding episode, rich in detail and colour as always. Happy Birthday to Oliver! "Chu Chin Chow" is a must-see for any RFC pilot, tradition really by this point. And Aunt Rhea sounds a pip. As to a new moniker for my man Abbott, "Long John Freddy" was tossed around a fair bit after the drinks started flowing, whether or not it sticks remains to be seen.

Raine - A stellar beginning for the new Kommandant of Jasta 12, he's impressed his men already. And I believe his style of leadership is going to garner some fine results. As for Mueller keeping Steinmesser out of jail, only time will tell on that.

Fullofit - Congratulations to Ziggy on his award of the PLM, he is looking the proper German flying hero now. Good job waiting out those Spads, patience prevails. To the new Albs running away from the F2Bs, the Bristols can easily catch them up in a climb or on the level, but in a shallow dive the V-strutters seem to be winning by the slightest of margins. And that rising dawn sun did cause Freddy's left eye to water a bit, but nothing he couldn't handle.

Lieutenants Abbott and Yale pulled quite the trick during today's afternoon sortie when they managed to force down, intact, one of the Kaiser's new Albs. The Boche pilot ended up landing his mount not but a mile east of La Gorgue aerodrome, and Frederick immediately set down next to him to prevent the fellow from setting the prize on fire. As it turned out there was no chance of that, for the young Hun died immediately after shutting off the engine. During the initial head-on pass Abbott put a bullet directly into the enemy pilot's chest and the poor fellow bled out as he circled down and landed. His papers identified him as Offizierstellvertreter Heinrich Jung of Jasta 8. He was the same age as Freddy, eighteen.

[Linked Image]

#4534631 - 08/24/20 07:33 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

good pic of the of the Hound and Fox ( Bisfit and Albatross

#4534633 - 08/24/20 07:45 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory
1 Unconfirmed

24 Aug 1917.

My claim was Rejected no witness everyone was chasing or being chased.. Everyone claimed the crashed e/a's. 2 Pilots got into Zee Boxing Ring over my Ace Kill. Both said It was theirs.

0651 off with a 2 other N-23 drivers for Defensive Patrol. Engaged a flight of 4 two seats at 9000ft near the lines. What a shoot out. Zee Boche gunners put holes in all of us amd wnd 1 pilot. We didnt knock down any enemy.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-08-24 12-22-29-81.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 08/24/20 07:47 PM.
#4534651 - 08/25/20 12:05 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, those English. No honour whatsoever. Trying to pull a quick one over an old hand like Vogel. That was a very hard lesson he’d learned.
Hans is one organized chap. He’d thought of everything and how to deal with his men. With Steinmesser at his side they’ll soon be eating like the kings.
Congrats on the latest string of victories and against those nimble Nieuports too.
Now, whatever happened to kill #33? RTFM

Lou, thank you (along with Raine) for such a lovely piece of hardware and the citation. That is one gong to be proud of.
Now, as to the young Abbott he managed to pull off that trick Vogel attempted unsuccessfully. Well done! How many does that one make for Freddy?

Epower, you’re right. That PLM really does scratch that itch!
Happy birthday Oliver! Or is it?
Don’t tell her. Don’t tell her. Oh you fool! You told her. Oh well, I guess every man has to learn this sorry lesson for himself. Consider yourself entering the punishment stage.
That’s a lovely Daimler, I even like the colour. Almost as lovely as the interaction between the two lovebirds. I always get this fuzzy feeling when I read about the two of them together. Masterfully done.

Carrick, too bad about that stolen claim.

24 August, 1917 05:45
Ghistelles, Flanders Sector
Jasta 17
Leutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM
28 confirmed kills

Only one camel could be confirmed due to the proximity of the two being shot down. The SPAD from yesterday was also confirmed. And for once Zygmunt received an award while not being bedridden in some hospital. The coveted Blue Max was hanging from his neck. Yesterday, early in the evening the General arrived with good news and a short ceremony followed. When the dignitaries retired, a proper celebration followed. Three cases of champagne were emptied and Jasta had little sleep before this morning’s patrol of friendly front lines between Menen and Messines.
En route to their assigned patrol route Ziggy noticed a pair of shadows gliding along the ground. He looked for the source and found two green planes, the wings bore roundels. Hahn immediately adjusted his course to intercept and dove straight at them. They separated, but he stayed on the one closer to the German side. He was going to catch him with his pants down. He looked back to check on the rest of his Schwarm. Still following him, back to his target. Where did he get to? Zygmunt lost him, but continued on course, concentrating more on his hangover than the enemy and that’s when he found him. Right in front! The bloody thing nearly took his upper plane off with its landing gear. He’d never seen such a plane before. The top wing was staggered behind the lower wing. How odd! He fired at the strange machine. It seemed very sturdy. He would need to pump more lead into it to bring it down. He continued to fire until the wing came off. The Britisher took a dive into the ground after that. This was very close to the German observation balloon. Ziggy was certain he had enough witnesses.

YouTube Link

They continued on and encountered two more of these strange machines, which they engaged immediately. Zygmunt went after one that just passed him. As he neared his target, two Albatrosen came down from above and overtook him, nearly taking his head off in the process. “- Bloody fools!” Hahn was less than impressed. The two German machines were soon joined by a third one and along with Ziggy, all four attacked the hapless Englander. It was soon after that smoke started to come from his engine and Ziggy almost had him, when everything stopped. The world moved in slow motion for the next second. A black and white striped Albatros of the Jastafürher appeared for a second in front of Hahn, all guns blazing, the English machine exploded mid-air immediately after and the wreck of the machine was now falling right on top of Zygmunt.
“- Boże drogi!” A quick prayer was all he managed. By a miracle the hulk of the falling plane missed his Albatros by mere centimeters and went down in spirals, followed by a serpentine of black smoke. Ziggy’s face had to be whiter than his bedsheets. He gave the signal to return to base.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4534653 - 08/25/20 12:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

EPower, a foul mouthed parrot and a cougar. What else could a man ask for. No wonder she is taken with young Oliver. Scars are tattoos with better stories.
Fullofit, the Blue Max. Congratulations! Top bit of flying against those Spads. Patiently waited for all your shots and saw that one sneaking up behind just in time.
Lou, nice screen shots. Your giving Carrick a run for his money, and a downed Hun intact!
Raine, congratulations on your new command. 35 now. Ziggy has his work cut out for him.
Carrick, seems you are having a busy time. Stay safe.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4534655 - 08/25/20 01:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, hearty congratulations on winning the big one! It is richly deserved. And although I may not get a chance to write it up this evening, Ziggy will be happy to know that the claims gods have been relieving themselves all over Vogel the last couple of days. Kill number 33 was the Sopwith Tripe that was downed on 21 August 1917.

Epower, of course Chu Chin Chow was mandatory! And now Oliver is off to the country. Like all good women, once they've given you their three days of last you need to buy them horses and stuff. That Daimler is a gem! I'm very fond of Aunt Rhea on that account alone.

Carrick, Marcel was cheated! If only the sim allowed you to land and cut the serial number from the EA…

Lou, wonderful photo with your trophy. "Long John" should bring about shouts of "Ready. Aye, Freddie!"

Best wishes, everyone!

Last edited by Raine; 08/25/20 01:08 AM.
#4534656 - 08/25/20 01:20 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair and Raine, thank you. That SPAD behind me was a fluke. I had no idea he was there until I looked.
Ah, that’s #33. I was confused because you call that tripe in your report your thirty-second. Now it all adds up. And don’t worry about the claims. You’re still nearly 10 ahead of Hahn. I’m hoping to catch those Fees one of those days.

#4534672 - 08/25/20 12:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Raine – Best wishes to you as well!

Fullofit – That was an incredible collision you caught on film. Lucky our Ziggy was no closer to it than he was. So what became of the guillotine Alb? To answer your question on Freddy’s score, with the downing and capture of yesterday’s D.Va he is now at eleven, which ties him with the squadron’s RL ace, Lt. Andrew E. McKeever.

MFair – It was a pleasant surprise when that Alb started circling down to land, then managed to do so and stay in such pristine condition.

Carrick – A boxing match to determine whose kill it was? That is one way to settle it.

Epower – I missed your question earlier about that sunrise sortie. I did not adjust the clock, the sim had the flight start out a 4:35. A lovely time of the morning, provided it’s not raining, or one is not hungover.

#4534684 - 08/25/20 02:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory
1 Unconfirmed

24 Aug 1917.

Zee Sopwith B-1 Pilot won the match a true feat of fist-Tee-Cuffs. It will be in the Paris papers in the morning.. In the mean time, I went into the closest city to cry in Zee Brandy and ended up Dizzy

https://giphy.com/gifs/week-bars-aug-LCVSugJCIt5eM/fullscreen

Last edited by carrick58; 08/25/20 02:16 PM.
#4534731 - 08/25/20 11:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Tagebuch of Oblt. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel, PLM. HHO, EK1, EK2

Jasta 12, Roucourt, France

Part 29

23 August 1917

The morning patrol is a long two and fro along the lines. Sunny, but with thick cloud. The English seem to have disappeared and we are back at Roucourt by seven-thirty. As I approach the château I see a familiar figure leaning on the wing of a lorry and smoking a cigarette. Newly-minted Offizierstellvertreter Steinmesser has arrived! We embrace each other like long lost brothers. I ask him who has driven him down from Iseghem.
“No one. I drove here myself,” he says.

“Then how will you return the lorry?” I ask.

“That? Oh, that belongs to me. Had it for months.” Steinmesser beams with pride. He sees the puzzled look on my face. “It’s a long story and it’s too early to tell it over a beer. And speaking of beer, I stopped in at Brother Bernard’s and picked up a couple of barrels. We need to get them out of this sun.”

“Steinmesser, you need to explain…”

Steinmesser just smiles. “Never forget these words of wisdom, Herr Oberleutnant – if it stays in the army, it’s not theft.” We head into the Kasino for introductions. The two of us spend much of the morning making plans. Steinmesser referred to our plan as his “shopping list.” I tell him of my intended inspection the following day and invite him to accompany me. In the meanwhile, he is to get settled. I have set aside rooms in the main building for senior non-flying NCOs.
In the afternoon we are ordered to attack to balloons across from Lille. I take off with Hochstetter, Schobinger, Becker, and Meierdirks, but within a minute or two my engine begins to rattle and fail. I switch off and select a broad field slightly to my right. The approach is smooth and uncomplicated until the last second, when I notice a line of poles and telegraph wire directly in my path! I pull the stick back and the Albatros wallows and stalls as it passes over the wire, missing it by the slimmest measure. The machine comes down hard but the field is soft and the undercarriage remains intact. I return to Roucourt in time to welcome the others back. Their machines are shot about and they have expended most of their ammunition without result. The rumour has it that the English have some new kind of skin on their balloons.

24 August 1917

A boring day in the air. In the morning we escort three observation machines up and down the lines for nearly two hours, seeing no enemy machines. In the afternoon we repeat the same mission, again seeing nothing.

The inspection goes well. The men our proud of their achievements and I invite them to tell me how they have turned out everything so neat and clean. If you invite a man to boast about what he has done well, he will feel proud and will do it again to get that feeling back. I learned that trick from a maitre d’ at the Langham. When we are done, Steinmesser takes me for a stroll while he relays what he has learned about the commissariat in Douai. Apparently, the fat major that runs the place likes to do favours for his friends at Sixth Army headquarters. The place is stocked with goodies and the aviation units are at the bottom of his priority list for supply. Steinmesser intends to rectify matters himself.

“What will you say to the Major?” I ask.

“Hans-Dieter, my friend” – when we are far away from others, we are on a first name basis and call each other “du” – “I won’t say anything at all to him. It would be very rude to wake the fellow up in the middle of the night.”

I am simultaneously delighted and horrified. “My God, Ernst! If the army thinks it’s us there will be hell to pay. And if they think it’s the French, they will start shooting innocent people.”

Steinmesser gives me a wink. “Taken care of. I have a couple of Frisian riggers who will do all the talking in their own patois if we are discovered. I have an escape plan and once we are gone, the major will assume it was some criminal gang of Belgians. There is unlikely to be a reprisal if the army does not know what town the raiders are from.” He hesitates, seeing my nervousness. “And that’s all you need to know. Maybe one day you will have to place your hand on a Bible and say you know nothing of this. I wouldn’t want you to go to hell for lying.”

25 August 1917

It is the most perfect morning. Except for a few thin strips of cloud on the northern horizon the sky is sapphire blue and there is scarcely a breeze. We take off shortly before 6 to patrol behind our lines to the north. By the time I lift off the ground I am bathed in sweat under my heavy flying coat. Gradually the sweat cools and I shiver as we continue to climb. Then at last I am dry and merely cold. But it is a pleasant chill. The bright sun warms the blood and I can feel the warmth begin to penetrate the inner cold. The quilt of green and gold fields schools out beneath my wings. In all of history only a few hundred men have felt what I feel, seen what I see. It is a pity we aviators are required to shoot at each other.

Ahead and above, five dots appear against the bright sky, a vee-shaped formation heading west. I watch for several seconds until a dark cloudlet appears among the dots. German Flak! These are British machines. I signal to the others and climb at full throttle. First one and then and other and then all of the dots turned towards us. As they dive it quickly becomes clear that these are Sopwith two-seaters. The fight is on. We are four to their five and I find myself dealing with two enemy machines, both well-handled. After several minutes I get a burst at one of them and the English pilot dives away. Now I can turn my attention to his comrade. It does not take long. The wind is blowing us deeper into German territory and before long the Sopwith attempts to dive away. His machine is old and slow and I approach close behind and under his tail. I fire a long burst.
His observer turns his gun towards me and I swerve over to the other side, out of his line of fire. I am just about to attack again when the Sopwith bursts into flames. It falls close to the southern edge of Lens.

[Linked Image]
"I am just about to attack again when the Sopwith bursts into flames."

In the afternoon we fly a line patrol far to the south. I have only two men with me, Vizefeldwebel Joerke and Leutnant Schobinger. Joerke is just back from leave. He is a stout fellow with five victories already. As we approach close to Cambrai, he spots a cluster of British machines attacking an artillery position just behind our lines. We dive quickly to break up the party. To my delight I discover that our visitors are the little De Havilland scouts I encountered north of Menen a few weeks ago, the ones with the back-staggered wings. They handled quite well at lower altitudes but the pilots cannot see you when you were above and behind. I fire at one of them and it quickly spins downwards into the mud, disappearing in a flash of flame and smoke. I attack a second which rolls on its back and falls out of control. I do not see it again. I see Schobinger circling about with another De Havilland and join the party. This one takes a few bursts before its wings crumple and it falls. I have three downed English machines in only five minutes of fighting!

Back at Roucourt, I am consumed by paperwork. Mueller is not used to having a boss who delegates so much to him and I authorise him to acquire an additional clerk if necessary. Dinner is a grim affair, a stew chiefly composed of turnips. I have left Steinmesser to his own devices, but hope he will move quickly.

Much to my annoyance, Sixth Army Kofl has denied all four of my claims. Mueller has protested that the Sopwith, at least, was witnessed by another Jasta 12 pilot, as was the third of the three De Havillands. His protests fall on deaf ears. Ground units have claimed all four. I swear to myself that we will quite literally eat their lunch.

Attached Files Flaming Strutter.jpg
#4534732 - 08/25/20 11:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, eleven! That’s like a hundred in dog’s claims. Our pirate is soon going to have his chest adorned with some anchor or other. Is he not thinking of trying his hands at piloting a scout? His talents are getting wasted in a crate pretending to be a fighter. duck
To answer your question about Ltn Wendler, he’s fine. He must have flown through the cloud of debris a split second after it became one. You know, like flying through a ball of flame after downing a balloon. Not a scratch on him.

Raine, so Steinmesser is up to his old tricks and Hans is the beneficiary. Looks to me like a win-win situation. Right?
I see what you mean about those claims. That’s too bad but well done to you! 3 DH.5’s within 5 minutes that’s some record. Vogel appears to be in competition with MvR, not with Hahn.

25 August, 1917
Ghistelles, Flanders Sector
Jasta 17
Leutnant Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1 HHO PLM
28 confirmed kills

Another period of heavy rains rendering the skies a treacherous place to fly in.
The claim for his staggered-wing plane from yesterday had been denied. His would be witnesses, the observation balloon’s Flak defences claimed it as their own. Nothing ever changes in this world. As long as you are sitting safely on the ground far behind friendly lines and you have a gun that points up into the air, you are the most probable cause of that plane’s demise. How often do they claim shooting down a kite when there are no friendly aeroplanes around? A bunch of cheats, swindlers, poachers and villains. The lot of them.

#4534735 - 08/26/20 01:24 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory
1 Unconfirmed

25 Aug 1917.

Went to work on Zee Boche Rail Yard. No losses.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-08-25 18-16-23-15.jpgCFS3 2020-08-25 18-01-18-34.jpg
#4534765 - 08/26/20 12:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - So now per'aps Marcel is zee Casey Jones, oui?

Fullofit - Those rear defense gunners and balloon crews are not to be trusted when it comes to claims. Ah well, at least Ziggy can take comfort in the fact that none of them will ever be graced with the coveted Blue Max. As for the Bristol "pretending" to be a fighter, I should pretend so well.

Raine - Claims stolen from your man too? Have the Huns initiated some sort of bounty for downed enemy planes? No honour among thieves apparently, and speaking of thieves, it sounds as though Steinmesser is doing well with his procurement forays.

26 August 1917
11 Squadron R.F.C.
La Bellevue, France

Another dawn sortie today for Lieutenant Frederick Abbott and 'B' Flight, this time a long run patrolling behind enemy lines from Cambrai down to Saint-Quentin and back. The beautiful August sky was empty of Huns until the Bristols reached Fontaine where they chanced upon a gaggle of the older V-strutters apparently returning to the aerodrome there. Freddy gave the signal and the five F2Bs dove into the unsuspecting Boche and scattered them to the winds. It was a fairly short dogfight with the King's airmen knocking down three of the six Albs within seconds of the engagement, a fourth a moment later, and chasing off the other two brief minutes after that. A hasty retreat then as Archie began throwing all sorts of hate at the Bristols now dominating the air above the Hun field. Nearly two hours after lifting up from La Bellevue 'B' Flight returned and put in four claims, two of those being submitted by the team of Abbott and Yale. A fine outing marred only by the fact that Freddy's mount would be down for the remainder of the day due to a burnt valve. A small price to pay for such a stellar victory.

Stars still glittered high above as the Bristols of 'B' Flight rose with the late summer sun.
[Linked Image]

Diving into the unsuspecting Boche and scattering them to the winds.
[Linked Image]

Latching on to his first target, Abbott unleashes the Vickers and the Alb tumbles away immediately. It sported what appeared to be a Chinese symbol of some sort - the livery of an ace perhaps.
[Linked Image]

Frederick carves in on another V-strutter, and when it drifted across his sights an eye blink later he stitched it from nose to tail.
[Linked Image]

The King's ace then pulled up on the Alb's portside and Lieutenant Thomas Yale finished the job.
[Linked Image]

Their prey bursts into flames and falls away towards the woods below - what a horrid way to go.
[Linked Image]

Archie begins throwing all sorts of hate at the Bristols now dominating the air above the Hun field - time to bid adieu.
[Linked Image]

#4534775 - 08/26/20 02:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

lol

#4534777 - 08/26/20 02:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Marcel Jules Gilbare
ESC. 15 GC 13
Senard, Verdun
1 Victory
1 Unconfirmed

Aug, 26, 1917.

Patrol: No contact

Page 210 of 366 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 365 366