Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4534470 - 08/23/20 07:20 AM landing issue  
hwang33kimo Offline
hwang33kimo  Offline

Hi all,

I am flying TE mission in 4.33.

I lowered landing gear once the air speed drops 300 knots.

The plane just keep sinking.

I tried to pull the stick but it goes to stall and keep sinking.

I tried to add power only but speed goes to 250 knots.

So, what did I do wrong?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4534493 - 08/23/20 01:21 PM Re: landing issue [Re: hwang33kimo]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Without watching what it is you're doing, anyone would have a hard time answering this question. I don't know how much flying experience you have, either. But here's my take, knowing what you've said. The plane keeps sinking and, "I tried the pull on the stick..."
When your airplane , any airplane, is losing lift... the worst thing you can do is yank back on the stick. You have just exacerbated the situation. You must control you airspeed with your elevators. Pull back the stick to slow down, push forward to gain speed. If you see that happening on final, drop your nose, pull up your gear, and go around.
Oh yeah, and FULL POWER!

Last edited by Pooch; 08/23/20 01:22 PM.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4534512 - 08/23/20 05:40 PM Re: landing issue [Re: hwang33kimo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You need to follow your cues. There are three essential parts here. One is putting your FPM on the runway threshold. The second is the AoA indicator on the left side of the HUD. The third is controlling speed with the throttle.

When the FPM is in the correct spot, and the AoA bracket is between the upper and center reference points (11 to 13 degrees AoA) you're in the proper attitude for landing and to follow the proper glideslope, which should be around 2.5 degrees.. Once this is stabilized then the throttle is used to maintain (or reach) the desired airspeed and keep the FPM on the threshold. If the FPM starts to drop below the threshold, add power. If it climbs above it, drop power, all the while maintaining the roughly 11 degree AoA..

Keep AoA 13 or less so you do not risk a tailstrike or gear failure. Don't start final approach too high or your glideslope will be too steep.

Airspeed should be between 150 and 200 knots, but depends on weight and probably wind. The correct airspeed finds itself, because only one will allow both the AoA and FPM location to stay constant.

A proper Viper landing will see few or no corrections to airframe attitude. When correct, the Viper maintains it's nose-high attitude through the entire final approach. The throttle is what should be used to adjust airspeed as necessary. As the jet passes over the threshold, a slight flare to 13 degress should be used, which will kill a couple more knots and drop the Viper on to the runway like a butterfly with sore feet. Continue to maintain this 13 degree AoA down the runway to aerobrake the jet while applying wheel brakes as well.

When I land in BMS I never use speed brakes. Boards stay retracted. A common approach speed for me, with light fuel and most or all munitions expended is between 150 and 170 knots, but again depends on other factors. But the bottom line is you will find this speed by keeping the other two cues constant and correct.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4534542 - 08/24/20 12:20 AM Re: landing issue [Re: hwang33kimo]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

When all else fails.....Ctrl E biggrin

#4534767 - 08/26/20 01:08 PM Re: landing issue [Re: hwang33kimo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think he hit Control-E right after posting.

#4535266 - 08/30/20 12:31 PM Re: landing issue [Re: hwang33kimo]  
hwang33kimo Offline
hwang33kimo  Offline

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the assistance.

After trial, I found out FPM always drop after gear down.

After considering Pooch and DBond's advice, I correct this by:

1. Let FPM sink for a few seconds.
2.Adding power (to 85~90%) and pull back stick (just a little).
3.Cut down power little by little.

P.S.

I face a new problem now.
I keep flying sideways (A.K.A. pitch ladder and FPM always on the right side of HUD).
Any way to correct this?

#4535296 - 08/30/20 06:10 PM Re: landing issue [Re: hwang33kimo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I keep flying sideways (A.K.A. pitch ladder and FPM always on the right side of HUD).
Any way to correct this?

If we rule out any controller calibration issues, then the only way to stop it is to stop the wind from blowing smile

Trust your instruments, in this case the FPM, and keep it on the threshold no matter how far to the left or right of center it goes,

To illustrate, here I am on approach to Taegu in Iron Fortress. I make custom weather maps, and here it is really blowing! You can see I have configured the DED to show wind direction and speed, and it shows 184 degrees (due south) at 54 knots! The approach is to the the NW, resulting in a vicious crosswind. And as you can see, the FPM is completely off the HUD. In such a case you need to do a little seat of the pants flying, but I'm not sure this will happen all too often under stock conditions in F4. I really like flying in adverse weather, and so I make custom maps to ensure there is some around. The entire theater will not be like this, there are cells of both good and bad weather over the map.

[Linked Image]

See this thread for more info on how I customize the weather map in BMS.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4387754/

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.