Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4532091 - 07/31/20 12:08 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I have ZERO interest in civilian flight sims but to each their own of course. It's like those people who play the John Deere farming games or a public transit bus driving sim. Whatever floats your boat dude. smile

I've always liked sims but i also played tons of different games, cRPG's, FPS, some action games. But lately it changed drastically. I stopped playing any sort of story driven, single player games. Everything bores me within just couple od hours of playtime. Quite recently i tried Prey, Assassins Creed Origins, Odyssey, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Kingdom Come Deliverance... i could not last more that 3-4 hours although i know these are all at least good, and some, really good games.

Currently the most fun i have is American Truck Simulator:) Besides that I still really like to play strategy games, that fortunately did not change. I guess i'am getting old, i've been playing games for about 30 years now...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4532095 - 07/31/20 12:20 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by USSCheyenne
i've been playing games for about 30 years now...

Burn-out is a very real thing with any hobby that is done for a long time. I myself have frequently alternated between different game genres depending on my mood over the 30+ years that I've been PC gaming. There's also the case of "been there, done that". There are only so many ways games can reinvent the wheel in order to create a new experience.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4532096 - 07/31/20 12:22 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: Alicatt]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Alicatt
Glorious Green Screen on my mate's Apple II was my introduction to the delights of Sublogic's Flight Simulator before Microsoft bought it.

This is how I remember it, and then later on the Commodore 64 with colour too! Not my pic I hasten to add, just a random image off the interwebs.

That's what it look like when I played it on my friend's Apple.

Originally Posted by Vaderini
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
What's it like to jump out of an airplane with a parachute? I like to try that like you see the Navy SEALS do from really high up.

The people that didn't make it, all were guys that were thinking about it too hard, and even after the sergeant threw them out of the plane they were panicking.

So I freeze at the door, the will give me a push in my back to shove me out?

Does the chute opens on its own or do I need to pull it? In the world war 2 movies you see them hook up. But in the parachute videos you see online now you don't see a rope remaining behind sticking out the door of the airplane so I assume you either needs to pull it as you are falling or it opens on its own.

[Linked Image]
#4532106 - 07/31/20 01:37 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague

It will depend on how you're trained. I did a short parachuting course in the air force, and in that I realised the power of training by drilling.

We did the same drill over & over on the ground for days until we didn't know how to get it wrong. When we were in the aircraft, every single guy jumped because really, we simply did not know what else to do so we did the only thing we did know how to do smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4532111 - 07/31/20 01:54 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I have ZERO interest in civilian flight sims but to each their own of course. It's like those people who play the John Deere farming games or a public transit bus driving sim. Whatever floats your boat dude. smile

I always thought the idea of simulating the real world was kind of cool, so I enjoyed the civ simulators from that aspect, like eventually being able to fly around my own city, fly under bridges I've driven over, things like that. But mostly, I felt it helped when I was taking flying lessons. Not so much from a control perspective, but from a procedure standpoint - how to line up for an approach, what your airspeed should be, building up the habits of checking the instruments while looking around, etc.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4532116 - 07/31/20 02:16 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: DM]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by DM

It will depend on how you're trained. I did a short parachuting course in the air force, and in that I realised the power of training by drilling.

We did the same drill over & over on the ground for days until we didn't know how to get it wrong. When we were in the aircraft, every single guy jumped because really, we simply did not know what else to do so we did the only thing we did know how to do smile

As an Air Cadet (Air Training Corps) before we were let into a DH. Chipmunk we had to go through parachute training and also ditching at sea, never got to jump out of an aircraft tho, so a little disappointed about that smile

Where we flew from the first few minutes of flight were over the Firth of Forth and then out to sea for some aerobatics smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4532126 - 07/31/20 03:36 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

For some of us, civilian flight isn't about going from point A to point B, but for pushing the limits as hard as possible in the air and over the terrain and man-made obstacles.

Sometimes I'll fire up Cliffs of Dover, a combat sim, not to shoot stuff, but to fly the aerobatic plane around the countryside and do insane things. I do the same in Falcon BMS--give myself my own private airshow.

#4532128 - 07/31/20 03:44 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: Alicatt]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Alicatt
Glorious Green Screen on my mate's Apple II was my introduction to the delights of Sublogic's Flight Simulator before Microsoft bought it.

This is how I remember it, and then later on the Commodore 64 with colour too! Not my pic I hasten to add, just a random image off the interwebs.

I too recall this on a friend's computer back in the early 80's. The sim was a total slideshow, though.

#4532139 - 07/31/20 04:18 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I heard of the saying You are crazy to want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. That makes sense too.

[Linked Image]
#4532151 - 07/31/20 04:46 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I heard of the saying You are crazy to want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. That makes sense too.

The counter to that is that there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane smile

Ken Cartwright

#4532162 - 07/31/20 05:34 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I think it was all blue on my Mac 512...imagine that, a whole 512 K of system memory!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4532164 - 07/31/20 05:42 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: Arthonon]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Arthonon

The counter to that is that there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane smile

If it's still flying with all engines working, it's perfectly good, isn't it?

[Linked Image]
#4532165 - 07/31/20 05:46 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: Nixer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Nixer
I think it was all blue on my Mac 512...imagine that, a whole 512 K of system memory!

That's more than the 128K I started with on Macs, or of course the 48K I started with on my Atari 800 smile

The Mac version was black and white. The Atari ST version was basically the Mac version, but with color.

Ken Cartwright

#4534268 - 08/21/20 01:38 AM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

[Linked Image]
#4534269 - 08/21/20 02:16 AM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
My first Apple 2 clone made Franklin back in the early 80`s with 64k and 5 1/4 floppy on a Monochrome monitor cost $1489 in 82.
Gave it to my brother who still has it with the desk I made it all.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4534299 - 08/21/20 12:49 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

A lot of people from SimHQ grabbed it already. A few of us have been flying together with it on discord. It has it's pros and cons really. I like how easy the MP is to group up and fly but it's a bit too easy to fly as the planes cant collide and if someone goes to the pause menu their plane stops mid air and fades out until they come back and then it resumes flight from where they stopped. So if you are in formation and someone hits escape to check a key binding they drop out of formation and appear behind you and have to catch up. it has a bunch of idiosyncrasies like that.

But it looks wonderful even on lower settings and scales well. The weather is amazing! If you always wanted realistic weather and clouds in a flight sim.... this is the first one i've played that feels real. I use to pay about 200 bucks in addons to get inferior weather effects for msfsx.

There is a lot of potential with this sim. Especially with the high end pay planes that will be ported over from fsx.

#4534302 - 08/21/20 01:04 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

What? They want you to pay more to get the better planes after you already paid for the game? I hate it when they do that. That is why I don't have a single game on my phone. None of the phone games that says free are free because you have to pay and pay and pay to make progress on those games and to unlock levels and assets. I want games that I pay once and I can play forever without needing to be connected to the net to play and without needing to pay more to progress.

[Linked Image]
#4534327 - 08/21/20 03:50 PM Re: Gosh! This sure look different than when I played it. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

What? They want you to pay more to get the better planes after you already paid for the game? I hate it when they do that. That is why I don't have a single game on my phone. None of the phone games that says free are free because you have to pay and pay and pay to make progress on those games and to unlock levels and assets. I want games that I pay once and I can play forever without needing to be connected to the net to play and without needing to pay more to progress.

That ship has long sailed.

But in this case, it's 3rd party planes that are build to a better quality. The planes in FS20 are good with some clickable cockpits etc but none of them simulate the actual onboard plane systems fully. Some of the 3rd party planes for fsx are of such good quality that they are almost identical in function to the real planes. FS20 stock planes are like IL-2 BoS and some of the 3rd party planes are DCS on steroids.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.