Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4534188 - 08/20/20 03:19 AM Steel Fury as a gift!  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Thanks to 33lima I now have Steel Fury on Steam as a gift from him, and I am coming to grips with it just barely. Here are a few of my first pics. This sim looks to be a good one even though it is quite old. The half tracks with infantry, which do get out of the vehicle and into the ground fight, are pretty incredible so far. Very immersive. The graphics will work at 2560x1440 and so far Sparse Grid supersampling really makes a big difference with the graphics.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4534199 - 08/20/20 08:19 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

How does it compare with other Graviteam titles, time-to-learn wise? Are a couple of hours sufficient?

#4534200 - 08/20/20 10:51 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
You will have to ask 33lima as I have not looked at the manual yet. I did learn not to push 'T' though. I was just button mashing through the one mission I ran. Seems like it will be fun though, once I do check out the manual. yep

S!Blade<><

#4534562 - 08/24/20 04:07 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
It is a bit crazy how good this sim is. The sound is phenomenal and the graphics just keep getting better as I tweak away. This is the best tank sim I have played. It has a few quirks, but overall Steel Fury 1942 is the best once the mods are installed and running.
A most appreciated gift 33lima! yep
S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]
Giving one of the supporting infantry a push up this steep hill! winkngrin
[Linked Image]
I don't know about you, but this picture looks real to me.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/24/20 04:13 AM.
#4534628 - 08/24/20 06:44 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Glad you're enjoying it and that the Steam version is working well with STA 1.2! Particularly like the shot of the King Tiger with the turret at 3 o'clock. Those Red Army guys sure look like they're sorry they ended up in the Western Desert, though smile Maybe their map reading needs a bit of brushing up. smile

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4534632 - 08/24/20 07:34 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
With the mods it's amazing and loads of battles etc etc

#4534635 - 08/24/20 07:57 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
...and not all of the battles are on the Eastern Front...

[Linked Image]

...although many still are...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 33lima; 08/24/20 08:00 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4534660 - 08/25/20 03:31 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
My first successful mission. I got 2 kills and did all of the driving, and gunning. Here is my proud T34 sitting at the break point getting cleaned up by the heavy rains that blew in at the end of the mission. 33lima, I am not seeing any Western Front missions? Maybe I am not looking in the right place, or am I missing a MP addon? I have never seen a mission with a Sherman in it yet??? Nice pics by the way. thumbsup

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

My proudest kill. I sneaked biggrin up behind this Tiger cat and put two rounds right up his A$$! butt
[Linked Image]

I am really loving the infantry in SF, but I am miffed as to why nobody made them follow the tanks for cover as in real life, still they are a great addition to make the battlefield feel alive. yep
[Linked Image]

#4534670 - 08/25/20 11:15 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Blade

About missions in Shermans, I don't have the Game Mission Packs (GMPs) installed in my Steam SF+STA1.2, but the ones I have in STA2.2 include some for the M4A3(76), M3 medium, M3 & M5 light, M26 heavy, M36 TD, Firefly and Churchill III. Some of these are on the ostfront with lend-lease kit. There's also a 5-mission campaign based on 'Fury' with the HVSS M4A3(76), and my one and only British mission with the M4A1 in Normandy.

Depending on when written, some missions will rely on stuff introduced with later versions of STA or in the updates made to them - it can be a bit confusing as STA has gone through so many iterations. But it's desirable to have GMPs (three of them, which themselves went through iterations) that are compatible with the STA version. The GMPs hosted on Mediafire by Godzilla1985 for STA 1.0 will be the obvious safe bet to use with STA 1.2. https://www.reddit.com/r/GraviteamT...el_fury_tank_sim_and_how_to_get_started/

The readme that comes with STA 2.2 (which lists updates starting from 2013 when it was called the SPM (NTA) mod) says the first 'Fury' mission came with an October 2015 update and the last ones in a March 2016 update. It does mention including my mini-mod to drop the TCs in British tanks to be 'heads out' instead of 'parade' positions when unbuttoned, but I don't see a ref to including my Normandy mission. Here's a link to this if you want to try it (enable as a mod in case it needs backed out)- it was made for 1.2 but I did something to make it compatible with 2.X at some point. http://www.mediafire.com/file/3n0j2q7dtsf575r/STA-Britpak_Phase_1_v2.7z/file

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Japanese fansite - https://wikiwiki.jp/pzfr/Steel%20Tank%20Add-on - has a link to STA2.2 which is a big file including a set of GMPs and a 'Japanese Campaign Mod'. I don't know if this will work with the Steam version, but if downloaded and enabled as a mod instead of over-writing, it should be safe to try it out. If 1.2 works with the Steam version, not sure why 2.2 would not, but best be cautious. STA2.2 is simply an incremental adaption of 1.2 with updates included, some fixes, some new missions, and possibly some new vehicles. It got as far as 2.3 but I don't have that.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/25/20 01:01 PM.

#4534676 - 08/25/20 12:51 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK

It is a bit crazy how good this sim is. The sound is phenomenal and the graphics just keep getting better as I tweak away. This is the best tank sim I have played. It has a few quirks, but overall Steel Fury 1942 is the best once the mods are installed and running.

For anyone who is interested in this game, it's on sale on steam for just £2.84... bargain!

#4534677 - 08/25/20 01:12 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Looks great. I picked this up and attempted to mod but was unsuccessful. I will try again smile

#4534686 - 08/25/20 02:38 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: bisher]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted by bisher
Looks great. I picked this up and attempted to mod but was unsuccessful. I will try again smile

Blade can probably help with that, having done it.

This is what I did, in Win 7:

1. got the Steam version running and set gameplay options to my preferences, eg 'Always obey orders' and 'Do as I do', maxed out the graphics, checked screen res was my desktop one. Played a few missions and saw no issues.
2. Put the JSGME installer in the root folder Program files (x86)/Steam/SpeamApps/common/Steel fury Kharkov 1942) and then ran it to install JSGME there.
3. Ran JSGME to create the 'MODS' folder. At some point during this and/or 4 below, I noticed JSGME was reporting two mods already enabled (Compass and Unofficial patch) - I didn't do this, could not disable them and suspect they may have been some leftover in the Steam install - Blade can confirm if he saw these too.
4. Downloaded and enabled the other mods listed below:

[Linked Image]

- Install order is usually important to adhere to
- Possibly STA1.2 is the only one really needed - I read somewhere on the STA forums that it includes the SSM (sound) mod. It's the version you can get here: https://ufile.io/0rkhvtzu The .zip (not the content) is labelled 1.2.1 so it may differ in some important respect from the 1.2 previously available on 4sahred.com
- ignore the last mod which is for the donationware STA 3.4 - this needs a password only available to donors, is unstable anyway, but worked after (as the maker suggested) I installed only the sounds - I always hated the MG34 'noisy typewriter' sound and prefer the one in this.
5. Put the 4GBpatch.exe in the sim's root folder and when prompted, applied it to BOTH starter.exe and shell.exe.

After that it was plain sailing...or should I say, plain driving and shooting...while watching the Iron Cross candidates do their thing (note the fellow doubling across the bridge on his own).

[Linked Image]

Was that what worked for you, Blade?

Last edited by 33lima; 08/25/20 02:41 PM.

#4534708 - 08/25/20 06:46 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
That's great lima thanks or should I say tanks wink

I'll find my own way out biggrin

#4534801 - 08/26/20 04:59 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
1.I downloaded the Steam version of SF42 first and started it one time I think.
Pictures 1-6 show what order I made changes and after a bit of trial and failure, what worked for me. Hope this helps anyone struggling as I was. Thanks once more 33lima for all of your help Sir.

S!Blade<><

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/26/20 05:02 PM.
#4534829 - 08/26/20 09:11 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Well after learning the Japanese language real quick, I decided to go for a swim in the deep end of the pool. winkngrin
Everything is up and running in STA2.2. New screenshots to follow! yep

S!Blade<><

As Promised!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1a.jpg2a.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/27/20 04:48 AM.
#4534890 - 08/27/20 04:56 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Well, that wraps up one day off spent in an incredibly fun tank sim. I still can't get over how really good this sim is.

S!Blade<><

I pulled up after the mission was won and then proceeded to punch holes in this dead hulk.
To my surprise the armor piercing entry holes are not just decals but real time holes produced with each shot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4534904 - 08/27/20 10:41 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Looks great!

#4534912 - 08/27/20 11:56 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Great pics! Looks to be a rendering issue with the Matilda drive sprocket which I haven't seem before, possibly just needs a change of skin.

So that's the STA 2.2 package which includes the mission packs (and the 'Fury' campaign evidently) from that very useful Japanese site: https://wikiwiki.jp/pzfr/Steel%20Tank%20Add-on

I already have a 2.0 install for my pre-Steam Steel Fury but downloaded that package last night and might give it a go. The included Japanese Community Mod looks to add some interesting extra vehicles like the A13 Cruiser and the E-79 which looks like something out of a Warhammer game!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 33lima; 08/27/20 11:59 AM.

#4534973 - 08/27/20 07:00 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Thanks for all the pics, guys! Looks great! smile
I picked up the title as well and will have to sort through the modding and getting access to STA, etc. Looking forward to it.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4535012 - 08/27/20 10:28 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Good hunting!

[Linked Image]

#4535026 - 08/28/20 02:40 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Just a short session tonight in the Panther II whoops, the King Tiger. Succeeded in the mission, achieved two kills, was roiling around breaking down the barriers when, boom, I was hit by an S102?? or some other big Russian tank destroyer. Where the heck did he come from? All crew killed, after the mission was a success!!! Damnit! Also I found out that rounds will cook off in dead tanks for some while after the original kill so keep your hatches closed or stay clear.
Nice pic 33lima. Hope you enjoy RedWolf. You might just want to go on to the Japanese website 33lima posted above and do the 2.2 mod right from the get go. Google translate does a good enough job to understand how to perform the 4 steps to make the mod work. Good luck if you do. If you do, go on and perform all of the steps before starting SF. I started it after only installing 2.2 and it crashed to desktop. I finished the install and it worked perfect. There is no need to test each step by starting SF.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

I found these guys hoofing it along at the beginning of the mission so I decided to give them a lift, Russian style!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think somebody is going to have to go on a diet. While I was on a Tiger driver training mission I came to a bridge. I was a bit leery, but after getting this far across this bridge and the side rails being knocked off because of this behemoth's girth, I decided to stop for a photo op and the instructor made this rude comment! Of course if you look close it does sort of look like the bridge is buckling under the weight of this fat Tiger. I hurried on across and proceeded to finish the mission albeit my feelings were a little hurt.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 09/01/20 12:43 AM.
#4535063 - 08/28/20 05:01 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Thanks Blade. smile Love those pics btw.

Yes, I downloaded and installed STA2.2+GMP+JCM from that Japanese website 33Lima posted (thanks so much!) - seems to be running just fine so far, but question: Are you guys using that 4gb_patch (large address patcher)? I have the steam version and it appears to perhaps be tweaked more than versions found elsewhere from the start (noticed it included, for example, JGSME and already had two mods activated by default) - wondering if the large address patcher is necessary. Also I found I didn't need the widescreen fix as it works fine without it (with the steam version).

Also, should I be getting tank interiors with the new tanks? I don't seem to have them.

Last edited by Redwolf; 08/28/20 05:05 PM.

#4535079 - 08/28/20 05:54 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Bad luck with that bridge Blade, always a bit risky. ATM I'm reading the autobio 'Panzer Ace' by Richard von Rosen and there is a pic of a nearly-identical wooden bridge that completely collapsed under his Panzer III (he was a gunner, later commanded Tigers) near Roslavl in August '41. The accident crushed some of his fingers which he was lucky to keep! It's easy to sweep off the railings and bracings on those well-researched SF bridges but I haven't seen one collapse yet - tho I have seen vehicles go over the edge!

Yes definitely using the 4GB patch here, Redwolf, applied to both shell.exe and starter.exe, and repeated every time a mod is installed which replaces them. Some missions with default terrain, effects and kit may not need it but some will. Speaking of effects, I got some mission loading CTDs with the 'Another Battle Effect Mod' which its maker says can be unstable but like he suggested on the STA/ITM forums, I made a version with just the sound folders (keeping the full path but deleting the unused folders and contents) and I prefer it - the MG34 I most wanted replaced is much better, main guns now sound scarier and firefights, a bit more like firefights.

As for tank interiors, most user-made ones don't have them, the Tiger I being one of the exceptions - it looks like the interior borrowed from T-34 -v- Tiger (which did the technical bits of tanking, like target indication, better than SF and had some other nice touches, but had just two playable tanks, poor animations, very few missions, no platoon command and control and awful AI).

[Linked Image]

There are user-made interiors now for SF's Panther A & D and the T34-85, which are donation-ware: https://itmsf2020.forumotion.com/t748-sta3-4-beta

Interiors, coming as they do complete with animated crew, are nice to see...

[Linked Image]

...but personally I don't miss them as we have the external and sight/periscope views for all playable crew positions.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/28/20 06:01 PM.

#4535080 - 08/28/20 06:04 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Good to hear Redwolf. I would say use what you need, but I myself did all four steps listed on the Japanese website. Then I applied the 4gb patch to both the shell.exe and then starter.exe . My understanding Is that this has to do with some of the larger mission sizes in these mods. I have only been in maybe 6 of the tanks, but they each had interiors. Check the Tiger II as I know that it has the interior stations in it. If it doesn't then there is something wrong. Good luck Sir.

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/29/20 01:06 PM.
#4535086 - 08/28/20 06:33 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Thanks gentlemen smile - was just making sure I wasn't missing anything. And indeed I will install the 4gb patch (was previously reluctant as it makes a change to exe files (unlike jgsme mods) and thought that perhaps steam version didn't need it. Thanks for the information.

#4535133 - 08/29/20 03:42 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Tonight's Fight! cool

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Porsche Tiger is even in Steel Fury 2.2 .
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Check out all of the infantry in this mission!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/29/20 04:37 AM.
#4535147 - 08/29/20 08:19 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Lovely pics! And a Porsche Tiger! I didn't realise there was a VK4501(P) in STA 2.2 - must have come with the Japanese download!

#4535155 - 08/29/20 01:01 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I think there are a lot of surprises in 2.2 yet to be discovered. I am assuming the Porsche Tiger is the sort of hybrid setup with the diesel? engines driving four Generators to drive the tracks and electric motor for the turret? A few more pics that I liked. I am just amazed by how many infantry are in some of these missions. Those missions do seem to have a little slow down in FPS but nothing unplayable as of yet. There is a turret displacing mod that I tried in this mission which I really like. This mod seems to only effect random tanks because not all of the T34s had the effect applied, but maybe that is a result of different models of T34s used in the mission and this mod only applying to one or two models? I am not sure, but I like the effect as it helps to let you know that they are definitely out of commission and also to help conserve ammunition.
33lima, could you post a link to the SF strategy tutorials which I think you wrote long ago and posted on Combat Ace please?I saw mention of one of them on the Japanese site and started reading it and now I cannot seem to find it on Combat Ace?

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have been using these LODs suggested on the Japanese website in the thumbnail below with good results. Just FYI to anyone experimenting. Located in the config.engcfg file.

Attached Files Untitled11.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 09/01/20 12:52 AM.
#4535161 - 08/29/20 02:40 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I understand that all but a handful of Porsche Tigers were build as Ferdinand/Elephant jagdpanzers, Blade, although the selected VK4501(H), that became the Tiger, got the Krupp-made turret designed for its Porsche rival.

There's certainly a good deal of extra content in that Japanese STA 2.2 compilation and its accompanying mission pack, which includes several for the E-79 'paper project' from Playstation. It's a beast of a tank and the mission I tried is a beast of a mission, with our advance being drenched by Soviet artillery fire and attacked by Sturmoviks! As you say heavy on the FPS but playable even on my GTX580, without turning anything down and with that LOD tweak applied.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just found a start-up guide for SF and this mod on the Steam SF discussion forum which players may find helpful: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2211816110

I wrote several mission SF reports, they're tagged and can be found in the CombatAce Mission Reports forum; the only one with any 'how to' element was this one on fire and movement: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/83356-fire-and-movement/ I have to say I don't do this often - many SF missions are a 'mad charge' and if you hang about, you get left behind and the infantry you need to be co-operating with get whacked!

Last edited by 33lima; 08/29/20 02:44 PM.

#4535162 - 08/29/20 02:45 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
That is the one. Thank you Sir. Those are great reports on the Campaigns. I have been reading and enjoying the 'Fury' Campaign AAR. Nice work, oh so many years ago. yep

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/29/20 02:45 PM.
#4535334 - 08/31/20 03:37 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I finally was able to get a winter mission to play nice and show the snow and winter skins and uniforms. I am still amazed at how good Steel Fury is and I am considering trying to find out how to get the3.x version if the webmaster ever grants me an account on their Forum.

S!Blade<><

Lets go boys!
[Linked Image]

Column formation boys! Fall in!
[Linked Image]

Checking the hits in the statistics page on this murder kitty showed that at least two of the T34s assaulted it and took off the left track.
This bad boy just continued to swivel its turret and fend off the T34s. None of them wanted to show themselves and fight it out even though this beast was severely wounded.

[Linked Image]

My Murder Kitty put a hurt on this bad boy! This guy was the lucky one of the crew that survived.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/31/20 04:12 AM.
#4535357 - 08/31/20 12:38 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Ah yes, Blade, that's one of my favourite missions, and looks great with or without the snow, which started falling heavily near the end, the last time I played it.

There are also some great missions with the JCM mission pack, complete with maps I haven't seen before, like Agedabia...

[Linked Image]

...and the three variants of the Hill 112 mission, playable in the Firefly, the Cromwell or the Panzer IV. The terrain is the best I've seen in SF for NW Europe and the dispositions and operations are militarily convincing, for both sides.

Our defensive positions on the low crest of Hill 112 are under artillery fire as I lead my two Panzer IVs off to the right...

[Linked Image]

Another platoon went well wide on the right but lost three knocked out and one immobilised, though the latter's crew didn't bail out and kept shooting.

[Linked Image]

Keeping behind the crest but at the risk of being skylined, I got a Cromwell and two Fireflies which were pre-occupied with the threat from the right...

[Linked Image]

...but ended up the loser in a shoot-out with a third Firefly coming up the middle.

Glad you're enjoying it too!

Last edited by 33lima; 08/31/20 12:40 PM.

#4535418 - 09/01/20 12:19 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
WOW! All of those pics are excellent, but that first one, That is AWESOME!!! The terrain looks good but just look at those clouds on the horizon and the setting or rising sun reflecting off of them and then also the battle scene unfolding. Really Nice!!! That looks like a fun mission to play. I have been favoring the African missions to try and get my feet under me for strategy and learning to use the controls efficiently so that I don't get whacked every time I play. I have completed a few missions, but more often than not I have come out on the wrong end of the stick! I am trying to get back to concentrating on writing so these are a mix of recent and older pics I never posted and I will take a back seat to your excellent pics and thoroughly enjoy any that you post here during my little hiatus Sir.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 09/01/20 12:58 AM.
#4535788 - 09/03/20 07:59 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
3 more leftovers. biggrin

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4535850 - 09/04/20 09:23 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Really nice evening lighting effects there!

Have located the missions for the Porsche Tiger/VK4501...

[Linked Image]

...and the Porsche turret King Tiger. I'll maybe try editing the 3d file with the Object Editor to drop the unbuttoned TC a bit.

[Linked Image]

One is difficult, attacking against deadly 57mm long-barrelled A/T guns which seem to have little difficulty in getting frontal kills; the other one involved defending against a T-34 variant with a similar calibre weapon but also these little fellows, and is a lot easier.

[Linked Image]

#4538684 - 09/28/20 06:27 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I love SF with it's STA mod. I love the fact it has infantry. OK pretty basic but it adds so much immersion.

#4538803 - 09/30/20 03:30 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I agree Wodin, the infantry just completes the immersion that is missing in most tank sims. I don't know if you have ever tried the STA 2.2 mod or not, but if you haven't you should. It seems to me that it updates the infantry as now they will do trench warfare. The attacking troops will occupy the enemy trenches if they push back or win the ground in battle, plus they just seem to fight a good bit better and not be quite as suicidal as they were at first. It is pretty darn convincing now. Tank crew could really use something like these infantry to push it over the top, if they also fix what they broke in the last update. I still really have high hopes for TC, but we will see if they continue to polish what is there now and hopefully next year announce a sequel. For now SF 1942 has me plenty satisfied.

S!Blade<><

#4542695 - 10/30/20 05:31 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Wel I have installed 3.4 over my original un-modded Steam version of SF 1942 and it does work, but it seems all of the new missions CTD. Obviously something needs to be tweaked. I will keep fooling with it until I have it working. In the meantime, I took the Matilda out tonight and was victorious in two missions with her. SF still is just a great sim IMHO!

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4560688 - 03/20/21 04:14 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
A New install and everything seems to be working well. yep

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4564186 - 04/14/21 12:13 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Just seen these looks really good, fantastic shots Lima and Blade, few quick questions if thats ok?

Il possibly wait for a sale until i purchase (Never really played a tank sim) but, how is it with Win 10? and Mods? Im confident with JSGME ect.is there any essential mods that are needed/recommended? Cheers guys

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4564191 - 04/14/21 01:23 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Adger, just start at the beginning of the thread and read through. 33lima gives links and I did short write up of installing the first couple of mods. If you buy SF 1942, either of us can point you to further Mods beyond 2.2, which is the highest free mod for SF. To go any further one has to make a donation to the ITM crew, which IMHO is worth it. That crew has added new interiors for some tanks, new tanks/vehicles and they are up to 300 missions which are comprised in many Campaigns. I have been very impressed with the immersion, graphics, the SOUND especially and content. The challenge can vary from easy to WTF, I am getting my Arse kicked severely here! winkngrin 33 lima gifted this one to me and I am very grateful that he did. Now, just like all of the rest of the Plethora of intriguing Sims I have installed, I simply need 48 hour days so I can get more in sim time!!! Oh, SF 1942 working fine in Win10 for me Adger.
Check the beginning of this thread for good info from 33lima.
SF 1942

S!Blade<><

Operation Barbarossa: Day 1 at 4 something in the A.M.
[Linked Image]

Once a shell or two wizzes by your ride, one quickly finds the key for dimming one's headlights. biggrin
[Linked Image]

Ruskie Wing man tactics. Arse cover me Comrade, Arse cover you Comrade! yep
[Linked Image]

Even King Tigers can become a bit nerve wracking if one of your tracks is damaged.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 04/14/21 01:29 AM.
#4564197 - 04/14/21 03:01 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks for the reply Drew, great shots btw it looks like something I could really sink my teeth into, I’m with you pal so many sims to try so little time. I’ve had a bit of a nosy and there seems s to be issues getting accepted if that’s the right word into the is it STM mod page to purchase? Latest v 3.4 ? I’ve also seen that Fanatical sell SF along with Steam and IndieGala so I’ve got a few choices to purchase from, il probably wait for a small sale. But yep any good freeware links to the highest possible STM .. or indeed any mod that yourself or Lima recommend are always appreciated.

Il have a good nosy over all this thread a bit later..cheers again mate happy hunting
Best regards

We will remember them.
#4564460 - 04/15/21 07:34 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi mate

To cut to the quick:

1. Purchase SF (Steam is fine). Check it plays. Make a 'copy and paste' copy of your installation folder, so you have two (in case you decide to do 5 later without having to swap large mods in and out) and burn to CD.
2. Go here (in Edge and let it translate the page), download and install/enable what's in the table: https://wikiwiki.jp/pzfr/Steel%20Tank%20Add-on.
3. Get it up and running to your satisfaction on your system.
4. Have a blast playing SF in a mod (JCM, based on STA 2.2 but with even more content) which is just slightly behind the ultimate one (ITM).
5. If you want more, register on the ITM forum, make a modest donation, and then install that mod too, playing careful attention to the latest install order in the forum (ITM is based on STA 3.4).

Some JCM content in JCM missions, some of which is unique to this mod:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Apart from an equally impressive range of panzers big and small...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...ITM has unique content too, including British Army kit like Crusader II and III, with a Comet on the way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2021_02_12_22_08_18_0002.jpgshot_2020_08_27_23_15_52_0000.jpgshot_2020_08_29_19_32_00_0000.jpgshot_2020_08_29_14_13_36_0006.jpgshot_2020_08_29_20_56_22_0002.jpgshot_2020_09_01_20_03_16_0002.jpgshot_2020_09_03_19_24_39_0000.jpgshot_2021_01_22_19_18_24_0001.jpgshot_2020_08_30_22_22_21_0005.jpgshot_2020_09_04_22_54_23_0001.jpgshot_2021_02_11_23_31_58_0001.jpgshot_2021_02_12_22_04_37_0001.jpgshot_2021_02_11_20_53_31_0003.jpgshot_2021_03_03_21_10_18_0011.jpgshot_2021_02_12_00_04_48_0005.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 04/15/21 08:10 PM.

#4564478 - 04/15/21 08:38 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Brilliant shots as always Lima..Thanks for the heads up im going to go and download JCM (2.2) im i correct in saying that if i purchased ITM (3.4) i can combine both mods with some reading? Thanks again mate.

Edit: sorry..Or do 2 copies one with the JCM mod and one with ITM? ..Anyhow il try JCM first thanks again

Last edited by Adger; 04/15/21 08:45 PM.

We will remember them.
#4564480 - 04/15/21 09:00 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Adger]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I believe ITM member f
Originally Posted by Adger
Brilliant shots as always Lima..Thanks for the heads up im going to go and download JCM (2.2) im i correct in saying that if i purchased ITM (3.4) i can combine both mods with some reading? Thanks again mate.

Edit: sorry..Or do 2 copies one with the JCM mod and one with ITM? ..Anyhow il try JCM first thanks again

I believe ITM member Frinik has a single installation where he's added JCM content to an ITM install...or maybe the other way around! Anyway can be done but requires a lot of complicated hand-editing of files. Or you could have a single install and all mods standing by in JSGME, enabling whichever you wanted to play, but rather than risk ending up with one messed up install I went for two. Albeit one is based on Steam (for JCM), the other on an old CD version (ITM). Whichever version you have, I don't think there is any issue with taking a complete copy of Steel Fury and pasting it somewhere else. I used to have a third one for STA 1.2 but while it's a great mod, JCM and ITM are even better. Anyway yes, starting with JCM's a good bet.

#4564485 - 04/15/21 09:28 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: 33lima]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by 33lima
I believe ITM member f
Originally Posted by Adger

I believe ITM member Frinik has a single installation where he's added JCM content to an ITM install...or maybe the other way around! Anyway can be done but requires a lot of complicated hand-editing of files. Or you could have a single install and all mods standing by in JSGME, enabling whichever you wanted to play, but rather than risk ending up with one messed up install I went for two. Albeit one is based on Steam (for JCM), the other on an old CD version (ITM). Whichever version you have, I don't think there is any issue with taking a complete copy of Steel Fury and pasting it somewhere else. I used to have a third one for STA 1.2 but while it's a great mod, JCM and ITM are even better. Anyway yes, starting with JCM's a good bet.

Thanks Lima i think il start with JCM and then if i like it il try and grab ITM, and do it as 2 seperate installs. Thank you mate.

We will remember them.
#4564512 - 04/16/21 01:13 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I think I did them as separate installs also Adger. I will fire up my old rig tomorrow and let you know. I think 33lima is correct though in that if you want to combine them(JCM2.2 & ITM3.4) then you have to do some manual file editing. It was like a 20 euro per quarter donation to be included in the ITM 3.4 if you want their quarterly release or you can do a one time donation, upgrade once and then have 3.4 from then on with no more donations and of course you will not receive any more updated content. Honestly I would just try the JCM 2.2 free and play that for a while. It has a ton of addon stuff and missions. There is definitely some interesting and unique tanks in SF 1942. This little bas-tard will really move once she gets rolling and the suspension modelling is incredible! Good hunting Sir!

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

#4577185 - 08/13/21 11:30 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
b9 Offline
b9  Offline

Nottinghamshire, Blighty
Good afternoon fellow tankies. I purchased this excellent sim recently and upgraded to STA2.2 At the moment I'm having issues with the gunners sights and the drivers ability to drive.

I'm running SFK42 on STA 2.2 mod pack, JCM mission pack and "Another Battle Effect" mod from this website https://wikiwiki.jp/pzfr/Steel%20Tank%20Add-on and loaded from MOD file via JSGME app. I purchased and downloaded SFK42 off Steam but have since moved it out of Program Files (x86) into its own file on my C: drive for a better performance, apparently. By the way, I was getting both problems in Steam file as well as in my C drive.

In gunners seat on all tanks, I move the turret/barrel using my mouse. To allow me to see where I'm pointing with the mouse, a cross hair appears in the sights and the gun sight will move to where the cross hairs are - thus rotating the turret and raising/lowering the barrel.
But when the gun sight aligns with the cross hairs, the barrel always jerks up to max elevation making it impossible to sight on a target. Very frustrating.
Is there a way round this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding in the drivers seat again in all tanks - I've no problem moving round the crew positions, it's just that in the drivers seat I can't get any of the tanks to move. RPMs are showing green, Gas is green, 1st gear selected, engine running and using arrow keys (keyboard setup option), but nothing happens. No movement, just stay still whilst other tanks are merrily on their way.

Any help or advice with these annoying problems would be gratefully appreciated

"Get the damn thing off the ground, and fly!"
#4577218 - 08/13/21 06:14 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
In the control options screen, I would suggest making sure there IS a check mark in the No Joysticks box, as this could be implicated in both problems. I have, and both features work fine in my install of the STA 2.2-based JCM mod.

Good hunting!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2020_08_29_22_06_00_0002.jpgshot_2020_08_31_20_24_07_0004.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 08/13/21 06:23 PM.

#4577238 - 08/13/21 09:32 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
b9 Offline
b9  Offline

Nottinghamshire, Blighty
33lima, thank you for getting back to me - you solved my problem. Many thanks indeed. And happy hunting

#4578676 - 08/30/21 09:41 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
b9 Offline
b9  Offline

Nottinghamshire, Blighty
One other issue I have is the Tank Commander targeting for the Gunner. I press the F key, move the cross hairs onto the target and get a range, click LMB to show 100% in green but no response from the gunner. I understand I can highlight targets for the gunner but I'm lost in the dark here as to how to do it. Could you possibly shine a light on this for me please.

Many thanks, B9

#4578679 - 08/30/21 10:23 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
All I can think of is that the TC can see the target but the gunner, lower down, can't. Which you can check by switching to the gunner's sight and checking if he has a line of sight to the target.

Or the gunner is dead or the main gun disabled (or not loaded). SF doesn't give the player as much feedback as it could in such situations, you have to know where to look in terms of what the interface icons are showing, what's visible in the 3d 'cockpit' views etc.

If all is well, a prominent red donut (or is it a red dot?) should appear on the target after the green %, it not then one of those things is possibly the problem.

If it's a tank where the commander is also the gunner, then I don't know if the TC can indicate targets to himself!

Last edited by 33lima; 08/30/21 10:29 PM.

#4578913 - 09/02/21 01:08 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
b9 Offline
b9  Offline

Nottinghamshire, Blighty
Once again to the rescue, and many thanks 33lima. I worked it out to be the key mapping, so all sorted now and running smoothly.

What an epic sim....!

#4578951 - 09/02/21 06:43 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Sure is a great sim!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2020_08_30_22_22_21_0005.jpgshot_2020_08_30_21_06_52_0004.jpgshot_2020_08_29_22_21_15_0005.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 09/02/21 06:44 PM.

#4593734 - 03/10/22 04:22 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
What a Beast the M3 General Lee is! She is pretty hard to fight in with the limited traverse of the main gun and the limited ammo, but she can dish out some punishment and she can take a lickin and keep on tickin.

S!Blade<><

Hitching a ride.
[Linked Image]

Beginning the LLLOOONNNGGG SSSLLLOOOWWW climb over an enormous sand dune after just having run down a Jerry scout and his comrade whom appeared to be napping on their BMW R75 in the warm afternoon sun. Not sure how they didn't hear me coming?
[Linked Image]

Taking a look to see if Jerry is about.There is the carcass of an axis APC in the background, which I passed as I climbed the sand dune, so I know Jerry is about somewhere close.
[Linked Image]

Cresting the dune and ready to rumble into the deserted village to roust Jerry.
[Linked Image]

She was beaten to a bloody pulp, but nothing the boys can't repair. Jerry fared much worse!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 03/10/22 04:30 AM.
#4594744 - 03/22/22 12:43 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
From the plains of the African desert to the jungles of the Pacific. Steel Fury does it all in splendid form. Just got the latest ITM mod working with my Steam version and it is running fabulously. I only had the in game AA on so there is a bit of jaggies in this pic, but I am going to add the AA code in Nvidia Inspector and then turn on SparseGrid4X super sampling see how she looks. More pics to come!

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

#4594757 - 03/22/22 04:08 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
A few from tonight's mission with SP4 AA turned on. yep

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4595890 - 04/02/22 03:21 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
A little T70 action today. I finally made a JCM install, and I am starting to delve into that. Steel Fury is just a good tank sim with well rounded fun game play. yep

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4596049 - 04/04/22 03:16 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Jumbo gets in the mix. winkngrin

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can see where I put a shot in the jagdpanther track and it went right through the front drive gear disabling the left track, and then right above the drive gear is where I put the fatal shot killing all inside.
[Linked Image]

#4596142 - 04/05/22 02:55 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
A couple more from last night.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4596168 - 04/05/22 12:19 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Very nice!!

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4596177 - 04/05/22 02:02 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Thank you Sir. biggrin SF is a great tank sim for the average to experienced player. I like it because it is quick to learn, easy to setup, variable challenge levels and thanks to the modding communities, has a lot of varied content. You can't beat it for the minimal price and just the plain old fun time that is to be had. Here is is the last two pics from that engagement.

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4596260 - 04/06/22 12:26 PM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
I'll have to check this one out then. Thanks.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4596330 - 04/07/22 04:09 AM Re: Steel Fury as a gift! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I ran the mission one more time last night using the Jumbo to capture Balogne once again. Here are a few pics that give a little sense of what I experienced. Little details like this in Steel Fury make all of the difference in upping the immersion.

S!Blade<><

Victory! A storm is brewing.
[Linked Image]

We press on to the East, hearing sporadic gunfire off to our starboard.
[Linked Image]

We turn to the South and move to track down the enemy, but a friendly half-track suppresses the remaining Huns just as we arrive.
[Linked Image]

We approach a Panzer IV which earlier had been routed. As we circle around it I note how it has been riddled with small arms fire and penetrated with several armor piercing rounds.
[Linked Image]

As we returned to the center of Balogne, it first began to rain and just a short ways further on, it began to lightly snow.
[Linked Image]

Back in the town of Balogne, near our Jagpanther kill, the snow began to fall even heavier.
[Linked Image]

Back near the Panzer IV, the storm was mounting and the snow downpour increased as it moved our way.
[Linked Image]

Finally we were ordered to move outside Balogne to the northeast to prepare for the counter offensive which were sure would come soon enough.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 04/10/22 12:36 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.