Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4533224 - 08/11/20 03:50 PM New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start?  
SClearman Offline
SClearman  Offline

Texas

First post here. I've been away from computer flight sims for quite a while and want to get back into it. How long? My faves from back in the day were F-15 Strike Eagle 3, Gunship 2000, and Aces over the Pacific and Aces over Europe. I haven't been sim-flying in about 10 years. At one point I had purchased Falcon 4.0, but my equipment at the time would barely run it on minimums and I never really learned how to run the plane well. I remember back in the day when Thrustmaster sold a cockpit mock up that you put your computer monitor on top of, I thought that would be the most awesome thing ever. So here I am several years later, at a different point in my life with some of the opposite problems. Specifically I don't see any new combat flight sims out, and it seems the older programs dont work on my now newer computer systems such as W10.

This is what I want to do......First I want some recommendations on with sims to get. One thing that will hold me back is my lack of fast internet. I am on satellite internet so speed and data caps are a big issue. Any programs that rely constant internet access will almost have to be ignored. In addition to software needs, I have wanted to build my own cockpit or simpit for years, heck decades now. I am finally at a point where that is something I can do. Along with that I will be building a new gaming PC to run the software.

I guess I need an overview on what has changed, and what to expect, as well as recommendations on where to go from here.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4533226 - 08/11/20 04:12 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I always recommend European Air War (EAW). We have a sub forum for it. Old hands will give you whatever help you need. There two on-going modded versions.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/85/1/european-air-war

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4533228 - 08/11/20 04:17 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Hey, welcome back to simming!

I think the main thing is to have a relatively high-performance PC (running Windows) with a good graphics card. Most sims now use the internet for activation, but not for the actual game play unless you are doing multiplayer.

The biggie right now seems to be the DCS series. You can download DCS World for free, and it includes two flyable aircraft, which might be nice to check out how it all runs before committing a bunch of money.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/world/

Every sim has positives and negatives, and some people have strong feelings about certain things, so I'm sure you'll hear a lot of varying opinions on them.

You'll almost certainly need a joystick for any of them and I was going to say that a decent one that's not a lot of money is the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro, but they don't seem to have that available anymore, so the next option might be the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thrustmaster-t-flight-HOTAS-4-for-playstation-4/6291616.p?skuId=6291616

Once you get a better feel of how things perform and what looks good, there are more options to explore, like sims you can buy that cover WWII flight, TrackIR for better flight tracking, etc.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4533231 - 08/11/20 04:31 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by SClearman

.First I want some recommendations on with sims to get.

Welcome to SimHQ Clearman!

Having satellite internet with data caps will be an issue because the two current flight sims that are very popular with the flight sim community both require occasional downloads of large updates. I've downloaded updates several times from both sims that were over 2 GB.

The two flight sims are "DCS World" which is a modern jet and helicopter sandbox sim and "IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad" which is a WWII flight sim with German, Soviet, US and UK flyable aircraft. Both flight sims are absolutely fantastic in my opinion. There is also Rise of Flight if you are interested in WWI era.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/11/20 04:34 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4533232 - 08/11/20 04:35 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Check out Falcon BMS at benchmarksims.org. Think Falcon 4.0, with modern goodies and graphics. smile It isn't DCS pretty, but it has that awesome dynamic campaign Falcon was always known for, plus 3D Cockpits, switches, flight model and depth we always longed for back in the day.

Rise of Flight is an awesome, but now older WW1 flight simulator that truly captures the feel of flight like no other. Lots of fun, and has a dynamic campaign of sorts for offline play. The only flaw is the AI isn't the greatest, but is mostly adequate.

And then there's the new MS Flight Simulator coming out in a week, but none of us know what to expect yet there.

IL-2 1946 modded is still extremely strong, and has great AI to fly against. The feeling of flight isn't as grand as you'll get in the new IL-2 "Stalingrad" series, nor Cliffs of Dover, though, but the AI aren't cardboard aerial drones, either.

Lastly, I haven't tried, but I never hear anything bad, and almost everything I do hear about is great--Over Flanders Field. Another WW1 sim.

p.s. Bonus sim, if you want a great Helo sim with semi-updated graphics(no shiny water yet frown ) and a great dynamic battlefield and campaign, EECH is a great place to start. Check out the EECH subforum here for more info. The choppers don't fly as realistically as the DCS ones, but the sim is far more flyable, entertaining, and interactive with the ever changing world.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 08/11/20 04:38 PM.
#4533233 - 08/11/20 04:41 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

Lastly, I haven't tried, but I never hear anything bad, and almost everything I do hear about is great--Over Flanders Field. Another WW1 sim.

Is it still a mod for CFS 3 or has that changed recently?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4533234 - 08/11/20 04:49 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Regarding new hardware -- this Fall/Winter will be big for the CPU and GPU -- new generations:

This Fall, AMD and Nvidia are both introducing the "next generation" of GPU. Normally, Nvidia provides more FPS for more $$. However, this Fall may not be normal as AMD is making a highly publicized push. No hard facts yet for AMD or Nvidia. In any case, it does not make sense to buy a GPU today -- unless you badly need one and can't wait. Rumors say the fastest of the Fall GPUs may be up to 50% faster than today's and have usable Ray Tracing. The previous statements are based on a small amount of official information from AMD and Nvidia coupled with decently reliable rumors, leaks, speculations.

This Fall, AMD introduces its new, next step in Desktop CPUs. Realistically, Intel has fallen slightly behind AMD in the CPU world. They will not catch up this year. But, an Intel fan or person with a special application could buy a CPU from them and be quite happy. Some older flight sims run slightly better on Intel.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4533235 - 08/11/20 04:50 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I think you still have to own CFS 3.

#4533236 - 08/11/20 04:54 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio

PM I have it from the publisher and it's stand alone and it's great and if you prefer WW II they also have Wings Over The Reich

Russ
Semper Fi
#4533240 - 08/11/20 05:07 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I don't have anything to add with regards to what sims to start with but I will say welcome to SimHQ cheers

Check out all the sub-forums,there are plenty of very knowledgeable and helpful people down there!

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4533242 - 08/11/20 05:09 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK

I think you still have to own CFS 3.

Owning CFS 3 is a requirement, but you don't have to prove it, you don't have to install any of it either... you just buy Wings Over Flanders Fields and install it.

#4533249 - 08/11/20 06:02 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
SClearman Offline
SClearman  Offline

Texas

Thank you folks for the warm welcome and advice. My plan is to start with a place to play. I am in the process of building a new workshop at the house, which will give me the space to finally build a cockpit/simpit, as well as a place to park it and play. My plan is to build a fairly 'generic' pit with seat and mounted HOTAS. I like the idea of a generic cockpit to fly various types of aircraft and even space craft. I am in the planning phase of trying to make it generic but believable with working switches and buttons to replace having a simple keyboard and mouse while flying. I like the idea of waiting for the next surge in processors, at a minimum the current ones will get cheaper.

#4533250 - 08/11/20 06:07 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
SClearman Offline
SClearman  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by SClearman

.First I want some recommendations on with sims to get.

Welcome to SimHQ Clearman!

Having satellite internet with data caps will be an issue because the two current flight sims that are very popular with the flight sim community both require occasional downloads of large updates. I've downloaded updates several times from both sims that were over 2 GB.

The two flight sims are "DCS World" which is a modern jet and helicopter sandbox sim and "IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad" which is a WWII flight sim with German, Soviet, US and UK flyable aircraft. Both flight sims are absolutely fantastic in my opinion. There is also Rise of Flight if you are interested in WWI era.

I can likely get around the issue of downloads. We have an additional 50GB of 'free' data that can be used late nights say midnight to 4am. My concern was having to play online, but again playing single missions locally would be fun too.

#4533252 - 08/11/20 06:45 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Welcome, SC!
Where are you in Texas? I am hiding over in the east side of D/FW in the Rockwall area.
Getting all stoked about trying the new MS Flight Sim 2020 next Tuesday.... smile

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4533260 - 08/11/20 07:19 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: Bill_Grant]  
SClearman Offline
SClearman  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Welcome, SC!
Where are you in Texas? I am hiding over in the east side of D/FW in the Rockwall area.
Getting all stoked about trying the new MS Flight Sim 2020 next Tuesday.... smile

Actually not far away. Down south of Kaufman

#4533301 - 08/12/20 06:57 AM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Good old IL-2 Sturmovik is tried and true and you can get the latest 1946 version on GOG which I imagine works fine on windows 10. I recommend Rise of Flight as well. The Strike Fighters series is great too for quick and fun jet action with a big modding community. You might visit the simpit forum too for interaction with other simpit builders and maybe share what you come up with.

Welcome to SimHQ. pilot

Last edited by Coot; 08/12/20 07:00 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4533305 - 08/12/20 09:01 AM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The original Il2 sturmovik looks and flys great. Check in at the sub forum to get the gist of setting it up, i believe there is a megapack that will get it up to a fully modded version. Unfortunately, like Panzer stated, the current il2 has rather large downloads and multiplayer is where it is at. Great sim but the ai is very average. I've never even tried it in offline mode so don't know if it has it?

EAW is old school offline and has tiny downloads by todays standards and decentish ai, very dated looking though, even with mods.

Is SFP1 still a thing anyone? That had some decent cold war jet action, offline mode and didn't look terrible from memory.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4533312 - 08/12/20 11:18 AM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: Ajay]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ajay
and multiplayer is where it is at.

I have enjoyed playing cooperative missions with friends but I'd say about 80% of my stick time with IL-2 BOS is with the solo career mode.

#4533397 - 08/12/20 11:57 PM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Using PWCG or just the stock careers? I mucked around a bit with the ai but just found it does far too much silly stuff, at least when i fly mp it's only me that looks like a mindless pilot..and normally a lawn dart. Still, it is a lovely sim to fly either way.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4533401 - 08/13/20 01:06 AM Re: New member, starting back in flight sims, where to start? [Re: SClearman]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
(I can kind of say this now)......

Go for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, due for release on the 18th.

I've been on the ALPHA and the BETA for this sim, and I will be ongoing. Admittedly, there ARE a few bugs in it (mostly with the airliners) but all of the GA aircraft are excellent, as is the way it draws it's scenery objects. There's an entire section for new pilots to learn to fly the Cessna 152, covered in 8 lessons, that that would probably be a good place to start.

And for anybody who has heard negative things, as a team we have been asked to stay in the testing AFTER release on the 18th, because ASOBO intends to continually add improvements to the sim. For example; a scenery update (free) is due in mid-September. I've been able to fly out of my local airport and visually locate my house in Perth easily. Sorry for no screenshots in this,
but everything is watermarked.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.