Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4533215 - 08/11/20 02:04 PM Citizenship in more than one country  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Does anyone here have citizenship in more than one country? I've often been interested by the potential and practical ramifications of that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4533239 - 08/11/20 05:05 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Are you becoming a flight risk, PM? winkngrin

#4533241 - 08/11/20 05:08 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: CyBerkut]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Well you see, it turns out a stunningly gorgeous 25 year old Russian mega model fell in love with me but she said she would only marry me if I promised to vote for Putin so I have to become a Russian citizen first.

neaner

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4533256 - 08/11/20 07:00 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Shouldn't you "putin" her first, before you make such a rash decision?

On a more serious note, I know there are tax ramifications with dual citizenship.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 08/11/20 07:01 PM.
#4533266 - 08/11/20 08:28 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
I'm going through the procedure just now
Payment of the first instalment to the Belgian govt has been processed, now waiting to hear, I have been issued with my register number - something like your social security number in the US.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4533272 - 08/11/20 09:41 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

It depends on the nationalities involved. Some countires forbid dual citizenships, and for some you are unable to get rid of your nationality.

#4533284 - 08/12/20 01:51 AM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
British and French here.
Hardly ever been British enough for the Brits, and not French enough anymore for the Frogs.
Full residency rights in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I’m considered exotic in all of the above. I can live with that :-)

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4533290 - 08/12/20 03:59 AM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Dual citizenship; British and Australian, I have two passports.

Givens you the benefit of lots of freedom of movement through the respective countries, and also lowers waiting times in airports.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#4533293 - 08/12/20 04:18 AM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Well you see, it turns out a stunningly gorgeous 25 year old Russian mega model fell in love with me but she said she would only marry me if I promised to vote for Putin so I have to become a Russian citizen first.

neaner

Just make sure she takes the vaccine first . . .

wink

#4533317 - 08/12/20 01:24 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I can understand dual citizenship in countries like the British Commonwealth. All very similar systems of government , basically congruous values systems and history. I don't know how it would work with very diverse or incongruous belief of systems of government. e.g. Iran and Australia ....it would be impossible to be a 'loyal citizen' of both.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4533318 - 08/12/20 01:29 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: No105_Archie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by No105_Archie
I can understand dual citizenship in countries like the British Commonwealth. All very similar systems of government , basically congruous values systems and history. I don't know how it would work with very diverse or incongruous belief of systems of government. e.g. Iran and Australia ....it would be impossible to be a 'loyal citizen' of both.

My thoughts are exactly the same Archie.

#4533320 - 08/12/20 01:40 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: No105_Archie]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by No105_Archie

There was dual citizens on the a/c shot down. Iran didn't recognize but Canada did recognize the dual citizenship.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4533337 - 08/12/20 04:24 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

In Belgium you can have dual citizenship, but across the border in Holland you can only have the one.
PWEC PWEC PWEC covers what want to say wink banghead banghead banghead

Clan Cameron
#4533340 - 08/12/20 04:41 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: Alicatt]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Originally Posted by Alicatt
but across the border in Holland you can only have the one.

No it doesn't. You can even be a minister or queen, and have dual citizenship.

#4533348 - 08/12/20 05:58 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Not what I was reading today, that if you come from another country and want to take up Dutch citizenship then you have to renounce any others, or so the guy that was telling us was saying.

I get partial rights for being married to a Belgian citizen but they are derived from her rights, I don't get any of my own until I get citizenship of Belgium. So my ID card, if/when it arrives will have my wife's details on it as the rights holder, it is my first step in getting Belgian citizenship and I have to have started it before Brexit becomes final on 31/12/2020. As a so called Frontier Worker (live in one country and work in another) the whole brexit thing is more than just a pain in the arse.

Clan Cameron
#4533387 - 08/12/20 10:27 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: Vaderini]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Vaderini

Dual citizenship is allowed but only under certain circumstances and not easy to get
Basically you have to be born into it or be rich enough to buy it.

https://www.government.nl/topics/dutch-nationality/dual-nationality

https://www.dualcitizenship.com/countries/netherlands.html

Clan Cameron
#4533441 - 08/13/20 11:43 AM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I am a citizen of the US and of Canada. I have two passports. I am of Filipino/Portugeuse/Spanish descent. I may also be able to get some form of British citizenship since my mom was born in Hong Kong during British rule, and also Filipino citzenship since she and my dad are Filipino. So I am "Untied Nations," haha

I could be a citizen of the EU/Poland as well if I go through their naturalization process since my wife is Polish (and has US Citizenship as well, and also 2 passports). But, I don't really feel the need ot have to learn about 200 odd Polish kings or their constitution(s), heh.

My son is a US citizen but can get a Canadian passport since I've got citizenship, as well as en EU/Polish one since his mom has citizenship there.

One potential advantage: US Citizens aren't allowed into the EU, however, we could go on our Canadian and Polish passports to Britain, then self quarantine for 2 weeks, then gain access to the EU since my wife has direct family there. If we didn't live in the US we could just go straight there. Before the ban was lifted, we could vacation in Cuba too (now anyone can go pretty much).

Plus the EU was planning reciprocity for a visa against the US before COVID-19, so we could have just gone to the EU on our other passports.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4533442 - 08/13/20 11:47 AM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones
But, I don't really feel the need ot have to learn about 200 odd Polish kings or their constitution(s), heh.

LOL! The US citizenship test is super easy compared to that!

#4533457 - 08/13/20 12:38 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I learned something new from Bones smile I was under the impression that the US did not allow dual citizenship.....or have the rules changed over the years?

One of my cousins married a USAAF pilot just after WW2. They moved to the states. She got Canadian citizenship when Nfld joined Canada and they moved several times between Michigan and Ontario over the years. She is almost 90 now and her kids are almost all retired. We were told that when the kids reached 21 they had to choose whether to be a US or Canadian citizen because " the US did not allow dual citizenship " ??

Most of them hit 21 during the Viet Nam war era. 4 of the girls are American and 3 are Canadian. All 4 boys are Canadian ( she had a load of kids smile )

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4533459 - 08/13/20 12:40 PM Re: Citizenship in more than one country [Re: Alicatt]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Originally Posted by Vaderini

Dual citizenship is allowed but only under certain circumstances and not easy to get
Basically you have to be born into it or be rich enough to buy it.

https://www.government.nl/topics/dutch-nationality/dual-nationality

https://www.dualcitizenship.com/countries/netherlands.html

Thanks for this.

Apparently the members of parliament either fall under the old legislation and do not want to lose their double passport, or are not allowed to lose their nationality (turkish/maroccan). Apparently the dutch queen cannot lose her argentinian nationality either.

Last edited by Vaderini; 08/13/20 12:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.