Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4533092 - 08/10/20 01:28 AM Tips on getting more fps  
Tycoon Offline
Tycoon  Offline

I'm at the point where the main thing turning me off this game is performance, today I tried turning all settings down to minimum and went to 60-70 fps instead of 45-55 fps, I would like to get a bit more than that, especially since I slew time a lot and it doesn't work well with low fps. I know this is a complex issue from reading posts but even some basic pointers would be appreciated. intel core i7 8750H, gtx 1070

#4533094 - 08/10/20 02:39 AM Re: Tips on getting more fps [Re: Tycoon]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Hi, can you please describe in more detail what your goal is in getting more FPS? For example, many gamers confuse higher FPS with smooth graphics. The two aren't necessarily related that way; you can have a very high frame rate and still not have smooth graphics, or you can have ~30FPS that is consistent and thus reasonably smooth.

Myself, I'd gladly take 30-40FPS if it's a constant, stable rate over even 100+ FPS that is dropping and changing constantly.

Most people are not as able to perceive frame rates as well as they think they can, and there are tests that prove that. But almost anyone will notice a sudden change in frame rates, which is usually what is noticeable and distracting from a truly immersive experience. In real life, movement is absolutely smooth and continuous, and the further from that game graphics get, the less real the game looks.

So, all that being said, what is it about more FPS that you want?

Also, is it correct to say you're using a laptop? I believe the 8750H is laptop CPU.

#4533096 - 08/10/20 02:53 AM Re: Tips on getting more fps [Re: kksnowbear]  
Tycoon Offline
Tycoon  Offline

Originally Posted by kksnowbear
Hi, can you please describe in more detail what your goal is in getting more FPS? For example, many gamers confuse higher FPS with smooth graphics. The two aren't necessarily related that way; you can have a very high frame rate and still not have smooth graphics, or you can have ~30FPS that is consistent and thus reasonably smooth.

Myself, I'd gladly take 30-40FPS if it's a constant, stable rate over even 100+ FPS that is dropping and changing constantly.

Most people are not as able to perceive frame rates as well as they think they can, and there are tests that prove that. But almost anyone will notice a sudden change in frame rates, which is usually what is noticeable and distracting from a truly immersive experience. In real life, movement is absolutely smooth and continuous, and the further from that game graphics get, the less real the game looks.

So, all that being said, what is it about more FPS that you want?

Also, is it correct to say you're using a laptop? I believe the 8750H is laptop CPU.

Yep it's a laptop. I have a frame counter running so the numbers are right. Main reason I want more frames is for time acceleration, when you do it your fps goes down and if its low enough it won't go as fast. Forgot to mention even at 60 fps there is some stutter with trakir.

Last edited by Tycoon; 08/10/20 02:55 AM.
#4533110 - 08/10/20 11:08 AM Re: Tips on getting more fps [Re: Tycoon]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Wasn't trying to say your FPS numbers are wrong - simply saying most people think they can tell the difference in frame rates, where it's really hard to distinguish at anything beyond about 60 FPS - unless, again, it's changing a lot (or if you have a frame rate counter being displayed, etc.). What most people perceive is when the frame rate is not stable; when it's changing, especially sudden drops or constantly varying more than a few percent.

Many people also incorrectly believe that higher FPS automatically means smoother graphics. As I explained above, you can have average 100+ FPS and still have variances enough that it's noticeable.

Laptops have different hardware than what the part numbers imply; meaning a 1070 "mobile" GPU in a laptop is not the same as a typical desktop 1070 card will have in it, so the performance is somewhat less than a desktop with the same model number GPU. The 8750H is another example: Although there is no exact match in desktop part numbers, the 8750H falls below the desktop 8700 in performance, but over an i5-8400. Also, although it does have 6cores / 12 threads like the desktop i7, it's base clock is fairly low (2.2G vs 8700 3.2G). Many (including the sim's makers) have said higher CPU frequency matters much more than multiple cores (the principle being that the original, underlying CFS3 engine the sim runs on is old enough that it does not utilize multiple cores). In fact, the sim's web page cites the recommended system as "Intel 3.6+GHz CPU or higher", and minimum is "Intel 3.0 GHz CPU Speed or higher." The 8750H has a max turbo of 4.1G, but that depends on what else is running, on which cores, etc. One specific area where CPU speed seems to matter is (you'll love this) time acceleration. So, if it's choppy on your system, it may well be a product of running time acceleration on that CPU - the frame rates during normal flight don't sound too bad. Time acceleration is not something I've used a lot, so I'm not sure how much the effect is, but I've read others here saying something similar even with some desktop systems: Game runs OK, but time acceleration suffers.

The available evidence indicates stutters are inherent in the sim when you pan your view (you mention TrackIR, I assume you're talking about when moving your view around - horizontal seems to be worst). BTW it happens just the same without TrackIR even running, so that would pretty much rule TrackIR itself out as a cause. This has been discussed here many, many times. The general consensus is that limitations in the underlying engine are at issue, and no amount of CPU or GPU is going to change that. No 'tweaks', mods or settings have been conclusively proven to eliminate it. This is why I asked about FPS; many incorrectly assume that higher FPS means no stutters, which is not the case. If it's this stutter you're hoping to fix, higher FPS won't help.

HTH

Last edited by kksnowbear; 08/10/20 03:16 PM.
#4533136 - 08/10/20 04:36 PM Re: Tips on getting more fps [Re: Tycoon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

There are many settings you can turn down, but look in "More settings" option bottom right in workshop, there are many there. Regional air activity, forced encounters,

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4533582 - 08/14/20 11:50 AM Re: Tips on getting more fps [Re: Tycoon]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
"Panama Red's Blue Triangle Removal Mod" is a must

and use "Fast" Vertical Sync setting (Manage 3d settings) for the program settings in NvidiaCP.
It does not matter that you have modern hardware with this old Sim, as the war goes on so does the stress placed on the PC too.
There can be up to 80+ plus aircraft up at the same time....and you may never meet them. So keep that in mind also

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.