Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 204 of 366 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 365 366
#4532132 - 07/31/20 04:05 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

With Oliver heading to England, I'm actually caught up if only for the day.

EOM stats:

Capt. Oliver Alden Winningstad, DSO, MC
54 Squadron RFC
Bray Dunes, France
Sopwith Pup
149 missions
182.78 hours
30 kills
44 claims

Last edited by epower; 08/06/20 07:20 PM.
#4532140 - 07/31/20 04:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Lou - I've been thoroughly enjoying your Bray Dunes mod, more so now that the channel weather is gloriously clear. Great fun basing there. I find myself sightseeing on final occasionally. Must resist that temptation given that pesky tree line. All your work makes a Hun bombing truly spectacular. This was the first time a raid connected with the field structures.

#4532173 - 07/31/20 07:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fido Iggy Bedlow
Sgt Rfc,
19 Sqn
Estree-Blanche,
Flanders, France.
3 Victory's confirmed.
3 Unconfirmed
August 1, 1917

The Sqn was already off on Patrol when I arrived at the Field. The X.O. wanted a wingman for a little flight time and asked if I was feeling up to it ? Off we went up to 14,000 ft and sat around for 20 mins then spotted a Hun up closer to the lines. Peeling off in a glide dive , down I went after the Boche. Unfortunately , The e/a saw me nosed over for Hunland after a few crack, crack shots from long range by the rear gun. The e/a disappeared in the distances so RTB The X.O. was happy that night about his Combat Flight and Covering me.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-07-31 12-04-33-07.jpgCFS3 2020-07-31 12-07-32-86.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 07/31/20 07:33 PM.
#4532177 - 07/31/20 07:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Wonderful story gents.
Lou, dear, oh dear. So when do we see the Brisfit with the “magnificent royal sceptre “ on the fuselage.
EPower, a new profile I see.

Fw Ivan Immer from Berlin will be making his debut with Jasta 6 tomorrow. He is a common man from working parents. 1 year in the infantry.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4532183 - 07/31/20 08:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: MFair]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Originally Posted by MFair
Lou, dear, oh dear. So when do we see the Brisfit with the “magnificent royal sceptre “ on the fuselage.

Now there's an image.

MFair - same scene as the other pic, just at the start of the duel.

#4532192 - 07/31/20 09:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, looks like Vogel is going to pull ahead, despite the kill-stealing boss. Hahn has not seen a single enemy plane for the past two days.
How do you find those Camels? They don’t appear to be that nimble.

Lou, yes the claim was confirmed. A surprise for the entire Staffel.
But not as much of a surprise as Lizzie finding out about Abbott’s “gong”. Well well, another superpower no one was aware of. The gold digger and the tripod, who would have thought? I also applaud that maid’s initiative. Good help is hard to find.
A well deserved MC for our “long range” pilot.

Epower, it is a contest that neither of the pilots knows about. Someone will have to take notice of the rising stars first. For now it’s all about Manfred.
Now, to business. Oliver, that one lucky dog (no offence Carrick) is going to implode from anticipation. Now all he needs is this uncertainty of Eliza’s departure. He better not spend his leave alone in London. Well, unless he finds some company that could lead him astray. Looking forward to the next chapter.
And Hudson looks like he should still play with model airplanes, not fly them.

Raine (again) where did you find a goat at this ungodly hour. Did you win it at cards, or did the farmer trick you when you paid him for an hour of his daughter’s time? Besides, the use of a goat gives you an unfair advantage. Remember the challenge?
Congrats on all those confirmed kills. Hopefully the streak will continue. Those SPADs are tough customers when you try to get away. Not so easy. Good thing Vogel’s machine held together. I’m glad he’s still with us and that is a commanding lead over Hahn, I must admit. Well done!

MFair, “magnificent royal sceptre” on the fuselage? Love it!
Looking forward to meeting your new pilot.

End of July

Offizierstellvertreter Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1
Jasta 17
Ghistelles, Flanders Sector
Albatros D.V (Uprated)
58 missions
49.48 hrs
18 victories
23 claims

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4532197 - 07/31/20 10:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: epower]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by epower

Now there's an image.

MFair - same scene as the other pic, just at the start of the duel.

By Jove you are correct! You have to have pity on us not so young folk, though you may be in the same boat. I could have sworn it was the same face but at a different angle. My brain does not work like it used to. Or, as I like to say, it has optical confusions!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4532198 - 07/31/20 10:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Gents, I’ve been meaning to ask. Has anyone been in touch with Seb Toombs? Just wondering if all is ok.

#4532202 - 07/31/20 10:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: MFair]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

By Jove you are correct! You have to have pity on us not so young folk, though you may be in the same boat. I could have sworn it was the same face but at a different angle. My brain does not work like it used to. Or, as I like to say, it has optical confusions!

Let me allay any confusion, lest you question your memory. Things are exactly as you state. It's different avatar pic than the old one, but both are of Roger Livesey as Clive Candy. Both attached. One of my all-time favorite movies.

Attached Files extra big duel_.jpgLivesy Avatar large.jpg
Last edited by epower; 07/31/20 10:44 PM.
#4532253 - 08/01/20 05:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

"Now here is the lake, and I still haven't changed."

Epower, a wonderful old movie if ever there was one. My favorite throwaway line in the whole film still has to be:

"We're having the bishop for lunch."

"I hope he's tender."

#4532256 - 08/01/20 06:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

And try to tell me that Nathan Fillion does NOT look like he could be Roger Livesey's great-grandson. You can try, but you would not be successful.

Attached Files Nathan_Fillion_001.jpg
#4532265 - 08/01/20 07:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
"Now here is the lake, and I still haven't changed."

"We're having the bishop for lunch."
"I hope he's tender."

Brilliant stuff. So tightly written.

"Will you be arriving at a point, Mr. Candy?"

The Criterion collection Blue ray is fantastic, especially the commentaries.
I could talk about this film all day but I won't clutter the thread.
Nice catch there with Fillion. Spot on.

I wonder if Oliver might meet General Candy along the way. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by epower; 08/01/20 07:05 PM.
#4532268 - 08/01/20 07:13 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Haven’t seen the movie. duck
Is it any good? laser

#4532273 - 08/01/20 08:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Fullofit,

Short answer - Oh Hell yeah.

Long Answer is well beyond the scope of a forum post.
I'd point you to some eloquent reviews, Roger Ebert's being one of the best, but they'd spoil it for you. Avoid for now.

Made during the war, and violently resisted by Churchill, even though he hadn't seen the film.
Cost Michael Powell his Knighthood. Released heavily edited. Not restored until 1983.
Lauded as a masterpiece. "It stands," wrote the critic Dave Kehr, "as very possibly the finest film ever made in Britain."
The Martin Scorsese commentary, which may be on youtube, is telling. Massive influence on Scorsese and many other directors.

Watch. You won't be disappointed.

#4532277 - 08/01/20 08:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fullofit, at least I’m not the only one who has not seen it. Now I have another to watch! If it’s good enough to for EPower and Lou, it’s good enough for this child.

Fw Ivan Immer
Jasta 6, Bessigham
August 1, 1917

The lorry pulled into the airfield at Bessigham in the pouring rain. Just outside of Mennen and only four miles from the front. “Here you are Sir, good luck to you” said the driver. Ivan grabbed his bag and made a dash to the operations hut. He was thoroughly soaked. “Herr Immer?” Asked an awaiting Corporal. “Yes” Immer replied. “I’m Corporal O’Rourke. I’ll take you to the Kommandant. This way if you please.” Immer followed the Corporal out into the rain again to another building which served as the Kommandant’s office. As they entered, both came to a smart salute as they stood in front of Edmund Ritter von Dostler. “This is Fw Ivan Immer, the new replacement Sir.”
Dostler returned the salute. “Thank you Corporate O’Rourke. You are dismissed.” O’Rouke left the room. “At ease Herr Immer” said the Kommandant while going through his papers. “A uranium in the infantry I see.” Immer cleared his throat “Yes Sir.” Dostler looked back at Immer and said “you had best remove that coat before you drown.” Immer removed his soaked overcoat and Dostler motioned to the hooks on the wall. Immer hung his coat up and returned to the front of the desk.
“How many hours in a Dv, Herr Immer.” Ivan straightened and replied, “14 Sir!” Dostler looked out the window at the pouring rain. Immer spoke up “I am a good pilot Herr Kommandant!” Dostler turned back. Ah! Confidence! A good quality in a pilot.” His eyes narrowed as he continued, “it’s also has deadly consequences for a new man at the front. I’m sure you saw that in the infantry. Regardless of what you might have heard, the pilots we face are very good. And, they are are catching up to us with new machines. Their new Sopwith is more than a match for our Albatross. As you will find out.”
Immer cleared his throat again, “yes Sir, I understand.”
Dostler lay his papers down on the desk. “You will find O’Rourke and he will take you to what we call home. It is a house on the edge of Mennen. Not much, but you will find it much better than the trenches!”

As I am not familiar with addressing military personnel in the German Military, I would be thankful for someone to grow me up. Thanks. Or maybe I can watch “the Blue Max” again.

Last edited by MFair; 08/01/20 08:58 PM.

#4532281 - 08/01/20 09:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

MFair - Welcome to Ivan! Glad to see you back on the horse.

Watching the Blue Max again is always time well spent, and would certainly help set the mood. I can hear their voices even now, (from the movie, not the other voices) and I believe they got the address protocols pretty close in the film. Lot's of German speaking actors in the film too. Others with greater knowledge of the subject will undoubtedly chime in, so I yield the floor to them.

I'm extremely curious about O'Rourke. Is he what he appears to be? A Paddy serving in the Luftstreitkräfte? That's a potentially fertile backstory right there.

#4532288 - 08/01/20 11:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

EPower, I told you my mental capacity was slipping. Now that you mention it, I think the Corporal in the blue Max was Corporal Roark, without the O! Not sure of the spelling. I will correct this in future episodes. My bad. Where are my keys?

#4532292 - 08/02/20 01:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Epower, I’ll definitely have to take a look. Just checked Netflix, nada. iTunes, nope. Ah ... here we go, YouTube.

MFair, welcome Ivan to our little war. Looks like he’ll have to prove himself to Dostler.
As to how to address your superiors? As long as you don’t call them Scheißkerl, you should be fine.

#4532297 - 08/02/20 03:04 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fido Iggy Bedlow
Sgt Rfc,
19 Sqn
Estree-Blanche,
Flanders, France.
3 Victory's confirmed.
3 Unconfirmed
August 2, 1917

All flights cancelled due to weather. I read in the papers where a Aero machine landed on a Boat on the ocean. What an amazing time we live in.

#4532315 - 08/02/20 12:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick – Did the aero machine mean to land on the boat, or was it just a happy accident?

MFair – Welcome to Feldwebel Ivan Immer. Here’s wishing him a long and illustrious career, with lots of victories and lots of bier. As for this O’Rourke fellow, perhaps he's a spy.

Lieutenant Frederick Abbott, (that’s right, Lieutenant), is returning to camp today. On the 30th his G/O Thomas Yale visited to see how he was coming along and to give him the news about his promotion and about his award of the MC. Freddy was quite speechless when his friend handed him the extra pips and the swatch of white and purple ribbon, along with Freddy’s extra tunic as the one he’d been wearing on his admission to hospital was a bit the worse for wear, what with the bullet hole and blood and all. Yale informed him that the Old Man expected him to be in uniform when he returned, no excuses. Freddy was also told that the presentation of the medal would be a proper affair during dinner upon his homecoming and that he’d better have his purse at the ready - again. Nurse Ellison was thrilled for her latest conquest and said she would see to it that the new items were fitted to his tunic right away. That evening, after Thomas left, Freddy and Lizzie went out for a celebration of their own, as did they again the following evening. The two just couldn’t seem to get enough of each other and took full advantage of the little time they had together. Ah, to be young and in lust.

Page 204 of 366 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM