Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4531506 - 07/26/20 11:03 PM Best ways to get into the game?  
Racingfan Offline
Racingfan  Offline

I just bought WoFF after putting in a few hours into WoTR and a ton into IL-2 BoX. What's the best way to get into the game? Just starting a career and going through the training? Are there any must have mods? What not initially obvious things should I bind to my HOTAS? Also, what does the "blip" command do?

#4531547 - 07/27/20 06:00 AM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I would pick a quiet part of the war with a plane you like to get started with. I personally time-advance at least 3 days between missions, imaging that those ones are the ones that I have a chance to engage on, with the others being wash-outs, milk runs, engine failures and what not. This allows me to advance in the war at a reasonable pace. After you get a feel for everything, you may want to join the DiD campaign.
I would bind mixture and blip to your stick, maybe radiators but I am not sure that they are even modeled; someone above my pay grade will jump in with the correct info! The blip switch disengages the engine ignition on rotary-engine craft, as those often had limited throttle options, depending on the model. And don't forget to design a custom paint scheme for your new ride!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4531552 - 07/27/20 08:56 AM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Mid/late 1916 would be a good start, slightly less enemies to worry about. Maybe choose a British career with say Sopwith Pup - a gentle aircraft and pleasant to fly.

Blipping a rotary engine see http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43438

Training will only really help if you have no idea how to do circuits etc. Do some QC free flight in chosen aircraft first maybe, then use manual enlistment and choose a squadron and date with the aircraft you like.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4531587 - 07/27/20 01:33 PM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
I echo all the foregoing suggestions, especially Polovski's idea of starting with a Pup in quick combat mode. If your previous flight sim experience has been with World War II aircraft, you will find that the early machines in this sim will not sustain steep climbs without stalling, will lose altitude or stall in steep turns much more easily, and may suffer structural damage or catastrophic failure if you pull them out of a dive too sharply. These are all things that you can experience and learn to avoid in quick combat mode before turning a lovingly-preserved campaign pilot into a lawn dart!

Enjoy the greatest combat sim ever made!

#4531607 - 07/27/20 03:41 PM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
In the beginning you won't have a clue what is going on, so the various 'aids' are useful.

The TAC (shift-T )will show you what direction to fly and has a flight instructor mode (cntrl-T) that tells you what to do.
You will lose sight of your flightmates and won't be able to tell friend from foe; labels (L) will help with that. Use shift-L to cycle through label types (full, dots only etc)
Perhaps turn on auto-mixture control in the workshop to take mixture control out of the mix.
Use the in-flight map to get your bearings (N)

All of this stuff is great for a rookie to get his legs under him, but I suggest that you goal should be to dispense with all of it as you improve your shills. If you are trying to have a historic experience, aim to eventually have you screen clear of all such clutter and fakery and fly unassisted.
Cheers!

#4531640 - 07/27/20 06:27 PM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
All of the above is good advice. I would add that if you really want to get the most out of the sim, trying flying for hours instead of for kills. In other words, rather than going for every kill you might get (which might get you killed quickly instead), try to keep yourself alive as long as possible and your wingmen too. Rather than wracking up several kills in very short careers, try to get as many hours flying under your belt as possible with a single pilot by only engaging when you think you have a good chance to survive. Or breaking away for home when you are outmatched at the soonest, safest moment instead of always "fighting to the death."

Keeping your wingmen alive is also an excellent goal that can be quite exciting. You could be just about to get a kill, however, one of your wingmen has a pair of opponents on his tail. Do you go for the personal glory of the kill and abandon your wingman to his fate? Or do you let your opponent get away so you can try to keep your wingman alive? The longer they live, the better they get as pilots and in the future, he might someday be able to return the favor.

There's so much more to this sim than so many other sims.

Last edited by Hellshade; 07/27/20 06:33 PM.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4531844 - 07/29/20 02:06 AM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
Racingfan Offline
Racingfan  Offline

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try to bind mixture to my Stream Deck and maybe do the Sop campaign. Luckilly I've been playing flight games on and off for 20 year so with your advice of using tac view to learn I think will help me stay on course and stay alive which has been my goal in Il-2.

#4532226 - 08/01/20 12:28 PM Re: Best ways to get into the game? [Re: Racingfan]  
Shamman Offline
Shamman  Offline

Looks good, will also give it a try

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM