Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 603 of 608 1 2 601 602 603 604 605 607 608
#4529199 - 07/08/20 09:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Haven't had any news yet from Roger, but hope all is OK..
Did leave him a message just now, but he's probably having his dinner about this time.

Summer is here as mentioned, and some of the Saharan dust still remains, but at least the 4 am thunder is no longer waking us up.
The humidity is at about 77 percent, which means muggy and a change of shirts if you stop at home between outside trips.

If you are like me and in the states, the deadline to file federal income taxes is fast approaching.

The wearing of masks is getting old, but this old guy just got a replacement pack of fifty.
I think this virus will be here for a long time and i am keeping my fingers crossed and my mask on.

My son is flying people around in a light aircraft, a confined space smaller than a car.
They are complete strangers that have not been even temperature checked before boarding.

It is tough to be wearing a mask in a light airplane and communicate, but it can be done.
But I can not seem to get it across to him how important it is to him to do so.
Or how important he is to me. Oh well.

Edit: If you are an early riser, (I'm not, but this may be worth an early get up,) there is a new comet you might be able to see with the naked eye..
It is visible in the northeast horizon around 4 am, just before sunrise.
You might need binoculars to first acquire it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4529500 - 07/11/20 09:54 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps,

What do you think of my new avatar? More realistic but far less attractive eh.

Do you think I have done the right thing?

Parental discretion advised...

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4529561 - 07/11/20 07:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I am confused being told that when we're the full complement of five heads in my department we're apparently one too many on some obscure virus scale or on a calculated factor so I've been asked to stay at home when there was a risk of that happening however, further down the corridor I've been observing six or more people packed like fowls in a henhouse with far less space per person than available to the five people in my group. I have wondered if there's a message in there somewhere...... I just occurred to me that I absolutely must mention the henhouse aspect to the persons in question as many of them have positioned themselves with their faces towards the aisle and their backs towards the windows and the wall. When I empty their boxes of used office paper I could casually mumble something about whether I might find an egg or two!

Dux, you look like a true rockstar or possibly a moviestar. Certainly the rebel rousing womanising Richard Harris / Oliver Reed type of star. Way more natural feeling than the previous manga female avatars you used to sport. biggrin

I'm pretty well done for today as I've done a large part of the shrubbery trimming as well as lawn mowing today. six big bags of garden waste taken to the depot as well. Passers-by suggested I might leave the cut off branches to be blown away by the wind as we have had quite windy conditions. It wasn't a problem though as I found plenty of lee close to the natural hedge.

Just heard about the comet on the news today and wondered about what time it would be visible as they omitted that fact in the news report. Allowing for the time difference It ought to be visible to my north-west, sometime this evening. The sun sets at 21:54 and besides it is quite cloudy so I won't get my hopes up too high.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4530126 - 07/15/20 05:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Talked to Roger an hour ago. As usual he sends his greetings.
He did make his appointment and will be waiting for an MRI before further action is done.

He has not gotten his computer yet. -Obviously, since one of his first actions would be to say hello here.

Sorry, Old Dux, I will not be able to use your avatar to scare the children into behaving. It's too good.

McGonigle, hard to tell if those winds are related to the ones that woke me three consecutive nights at unearthly hours.
Yes, pretty far apart to be related I guess. But the debris left the following days confirmed the 48 mph gusts reported.
Yet the skies still look "dusty" this morning. I had assumed the Saharan dust had left, but no.

Did try to spot the international Space Station breeze by last night, but clouds interfered.
I have been waking before five am but not motivated enough to step outside to see the comet yet.
That would wake me too much and the darned house cat would insist on getting fed and...
At any rate, it would mess up that all-important afternoon nap.

I am hoping the head count you mention does not lead to a serious consequence like being over-staffed?

#4531376 - 07/25/20 06:58 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Still here and appreciate the update on Roger very much. All best wishes for his situation improving and him getting access to a laptop.

We're having a mixed bag of weather this summer. Very changeable and alternating between rainy days and less rainy days. Some days are not rainy but in the range of 20 C / 68 F the temperatures are not really something to brag about,

It seems that poor Garmin has been hit heavily by a ransomware attack from Russian hackers. Their system including call centers is down and has been so some three days now. Can't upload rides to the servers and can't download updates. Some speculate that their product range relating to air navigation might be affected as well. I wonder if their maritime products are also crippled and this certainly highlights the importance of keeping your services and data safe from malicious code.

So for the rides I've done during the outage I've gone into the file-system of my unit via usb cable and extracted the .fit files containing the ride information. I'll give it a few more days and if the situation is not resolved I can upload the files to Strava manually because as we say; "If it ain't on Strava, it didn't happen".

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4531378 - 07/25/20 07:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I was unaware of a Garmin issue. I will check my airplane tomorrow and let you know what I find.

My flying has been a bit curtailed for the last few months since there is nothing you can do when you fly into other locations. Most things are shutdown or under such restrictions that the fun value is greatly reduced. So most flights are just sightseeing flights. Extremely careful about who I take. For a while I only flew solo. We would take four planes with no passengers, fly to a field somewhere and have picnic lunches we brought, then fly home.

And that’s what happened.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4531409 - 07/26/20 03:01 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

Managed to talk to Roger today after a couple of days of fruitlessly calling.
Knew from previous history, this might be a hard time for him so I did worry some.
Sure do not want to bug the man. That would have me acting like my ex. (Don't go there.)

But glad I persisted and found he did get his MRI appointment.
Results hopefully come in this coming week and will determine options for action.
I'm sure we are all keeping our fingers crossed.

Did not get to talk long since I had kids coming and a lunch to fix for them.

Had not heard about Garmin. Hope the problem is cleared soon.
Really need to check in here more often.

Glad that McGonigle is getting his riding in. The bikes here sit in the garage, neglected. It has gotten too hot here to be riding outside after nine am.
That's as good an excuse as any. No real excuse, is it?
The treadmill has gone stupid and I have not gotten a look at it. On the other hand I am limiting trips to the trough.

Glad to hear Oldgrognard is still flying that beautiful magic carpet. You Sir, do have my envy, (Grin.)

I do still feel the need to lift off and see trees from a bird's viewpoint.
Since I have yet to pull the trigger or even really start searching for an aluminum bird I keep researching the COPA site and flying magazine articles.
The short result is gaining confusion about mixture settings and leaning fuel ideas versus cylinder heat readings.
Turbo and jet engine settings seem so much simpler now.

So I will continue doing some things virtually, but have to admit. It is like eating chips without enough salt.

Last edited by Fittop; 07/26/20 04:41 AM.
#4531491 - 07/26/20 08:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Well, at least I have some good news to report. My Garmin audio controller, Garmin transponder and ADS-B, and both Garmin Nav/Radio devices are all fine. So at least for now all is good. Who knows what the future holds.

Fittop, what kind of airplane are you considering ? It used to be said you bought an engine and the airplane just came with it. Now it is more that you are buying avionics and an engine and airplane come with it.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4531898 - 07/29/20 08:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope to talk to Roger later or tomorrow. I will update you all. (Update on bottom.)

OG, I keep hoping for a Cirrus, but perhaps the best bet would be a C-182 or even C-172.
The reason for the C-22 or so is the great avionics and most of all an air- conditioner. This is a tough country to be in for an old man without air.
But the Cessna(s) have metal that can take a bit of age, but I may be mis-informed there.

I realize the avionics can be found elsewhere also and you are not carrying a parachute insurance nor the weight of it.
Avionics could be school item. So really an A/C is a very desirable quality in my book.
But it is fast.

But I am open to most all airplanes; just prefer them to be reliable. The days of strapping on a chute are long gone for me.
Like your quote: "You buy the engine and the goodies come with it." yep
They just need good care and love. (And paid care and attention.)
Got a flying son I may have to set rules and wrestle if I want to see a machine.
He's got more GA time, a lot of Caravan and C-414(?) and even Lear time than I got piston, light jet and turbo prop time. -Some 7.000 hrs or maybe more.
These days he is flying folks around in a C-177.

But I have no contacts to look for me.
The closest is a classmate with a Cirrus. And as he says, they have better avionics than we had on commercial jets.
(And air, grin)

You probably know of reliable folks that can steer a novice around?

Edit: Just talked with Roger, No news on MRI.
He does say Hello to all, and he is in good spirits and doing all right.

Last edited by Fittop; 08/03/20 04:36 AM.
#4532674 - 08/05/20 02:28 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Got a chance today to talk with Roger.
As always he sends good wishes and hopes to return as soon as he's able.

It seems that the doctors are suggesting a course of chemo but will not decide on treatment until another meeting takes place.
He states that he is in good spirits and sounds that way. He does appreciate that he has not been forgotten here.

Think I caught him up some on some of the doings last time and today we debated the masks and the stir caused by different approaches to this latest threat.
It does seem that guests' health is taken pretty seriously where he is staying and family's contact is keeping him assured he is thought of.
Of course, I let him know the same is true here.

Been watching Star Trek Enterprise lately. Other than a few episodes of the original it seems I missed a lot the first go-around.
The actors are sometimes better appreciated later on. It's a thrill to see them in other roles.
The writing is pretty decent also and it really lures you in.
There is talent in this world.

#4532726 - 08/05/20 01:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop; Buy the engine and get the other goodies. I just thought of how that for me at least seems applicable to cars too. Buyers might focus on the engine as the most important parameter and get stuff like satnav, a/c and various safety devices thrown in, or buyers might prioritise digital dash, bluetooth integration, automatic transmission and more, in addition to all the other features making the car more a marvel of digital technology, ease of use and practicality than a motorcar that is fun to drive.

I watched Star Trek Enterprise not too long ago and found it quite watchable. My favourite episode is the one where T'Pol "reveals" that her grandma crash landed on Earth and how the crew was marooned back in the mid-twentieth century. Back then, they still wanted to tell interesting stories and developing character arcs and present moral dilemmas rather than flood the viewer with explosions and bickering.

Glad to hear the news regarding Roger and I do hope you will remember me to Roger and tell him his friend is Denmark sends his very best regards.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4532855 - 08/06/20 05:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Good morning and thank you, MG. I am concluding the wisdom that both you and OG display concerning the engine plus parts outlook is the right one.
Like in a car, I do value reliability. Yes, I still drive a 1998 Mercedes C-230. Grin.
OK, so there is a 3 yr old Toyota, but it was the MB that made the last trip to San Antonio.

No worries, I do remind Roger of his friends here and how you guys are always asking about him and how you send your support.
I know he does appreciate it all. He does mention Old Dux, OG, and you. Know the calls meant a lot to him.
He mentions how difficult it is to read even texts on his phone; so until he can get his laptop he depends on my telling him the going-ons.
Once I even read him the page where you guys featured your activities.

Somehow I removed my throttle settings on the HOTAS as I was removing the new rudder pedals from the computer. My dumb move.
Until I can get a more versatile chair I am limiting myself to a roll-about one that makes pedal use a bit sporting on landings.
Surely a bit of lubricant on the pedals will also help. Yep, grin, I practice crosswind landings and IFR flying.
Not really up on the Garmin glass yet.

Apparently the MS FS2020 will be a pleasure to fly. But this computer with a GTX 760 does not even meet the minimum standard so I will stay with P3D and Orbx for a bit.
Yes, it does bind on occasion, but Orbx has done a great job with the scenery on the West Coast and the Netherlands and UK.
The set of add-ons make it good enough right now to assuage the urge to "upgrade" for a bit.

Yep, meanwhile the mouth waters when I see the videos.

#4533024 - 08/08/20 08:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps,

I will have to review my PC specs when MS2020 is released. My rig also has a GTX 760!
It means breaking new ground with that sim with commercial and pleasure flying instead of laying waste to everything in sight which I have been doing since B17-1.

Recently bought a new Thrustmaster stick which has yet to be tried out but it should do most of the things I want without having cost a lot.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4533947 - 08/18/20 01:13 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks,

The new Flight Sim MS 2020 opens tomorrow. It's already been selling on pre-sale.
Tonight, really for you guys on the east side of the Atlantic and I suppose it has already opened in Australia and the other side (to me) of the date line. -Some thirteen hours ahead of me.

If I dared installed it in my PC with a GTX 760, I am wondering what I would get:
Not work at all? Decrepit movement?
Minimum card is a GTX770 as MS requires.

Oh well, the bug has bitten me, but meanwhile I am happy with Orbx scenery and weather on the P3D.
Still, it would be nice to see the new lady in a pretty skirt. I can dream, right?

As pointed out by NoFlyBoy elsewhere in this site, seventy-five years and a couple of days ago, there were a lot of relieved folks that a World War was finally over, and an uncertain future was evolving.
Can you imagine the relief of parents and families? The losses, the gains perhaps, the future and its questions.

I don't think I remember it. I remember VE, or maybe it was VJ. I was four-years old.
I remember waking, dressing and going out of the room and seeing everyone gathered around a small fire in the common yard.

The grown ups were excited about something.
They had even started a small fire, and they were burning masks of devils and one of what I knew as a bad man with a mustache.
Even the old man who usually slept till noon was up and they were drinking something.

I didn't have to go stand in line to buy coal that day. I don't know who went. But it was winter and the built-in stove used coal.

I will try to talk with Roger tomorrow.

#4535141 - 08/29/20 05:28 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

I have not forgotten you guys or this site. Just been as busy as the rest of you.

Finally got to talk with Roger today. He is OK, and sends his greetings as always. He does ask about and misses the rest of the guys here.

He did mention that along with five other folks where he is for what seems to be too long, he supposedly tested positive for the corona virus.
But neither he nor anyone show any signs of the virus.
Their restriction will be lifted in a few days.

I sure hope it's an erroneous reading. being as isolated as they are.
The results does give him and the others the advantage of their own rooms.

Roger being Roger, he is now worried about his former roommate that could not pick up the TV remote if he drops it.

Meanwhile the desktop has a 200mm cooling fan gone kaput and apparently no longer in stock in local electronic stores, so hopefully Amazon will be finally delivering a couple tomorrow. I hope to keep a spare from now on.
It I were smart I would have already taken advantage to insert a couple of SSDs to said tower. (After all the SSDs have been sitting around my desk, one for almost two years.)
Yes, I may be nominated for Procrastinator of the Year, but there is need for someone to second the motion.

You do realize though that I have no idea anymore of how to let the machine know it has been upgraded and make the SSD useful, right?
Yes, the information is available, -probably even here, but I have a reputation to uphold.
Don't think that counts anymore as the lady living here will probably not have many honey-does.

The only excuse I have tomorrow is a fallen Coast Guard man will finally get his Honors and his widow will be presented his flag.
I do need to be there.

#4535386 - 08/31/20 06:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop; Once again thank you for keeping us updated on our friend. I read somewhere that approximately 10% of all positives are false positives so here's to hoping this being the case. If not, it seems that while infections worldwide are on the up, partly because of more testing catching more people, death rates are plummeting indicating that either the virus is now less lethal or doctors and health services are more knowledgeable in prescribing the best treatment. We hope for the best crossing fingers and toes.

The new Flight Sim certainly looks very impressive however I think my simming days are well behind me as I cannot work up enthusiasm for investing in a newer PC just to take off in one of the available planes, cruise the local area and then get bored, not bothering with landing the thing. Anyway that's just me so hopefully a lot of flight simmers will get lots of enjoyment out of the new sim.

In fact I just discovered that running Win 7 isn't supported by Calibre ebook managements software above version 3.48. Don't tell the computer that as it is currently (apparently) running fine with version 4.21 or something. eek2

Having just marked the 75-year day of V-E there's every reason to once again thank all who have served, not just in WW2 but in a more general sense everyone who works for our freedom and safety.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4536104 - 09/06/20 10:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Just a quick not that Roger has celebrated his birthday this last week and is doing fine for an "elder."

Hesitate as he might get a hold of my calling him that as he might get out and come looking for me.
But he would not take advantage of an older guy, would he? I hope not, as I am older than him. winkngrin

He is no longer isolated from his room and is glad to have his room-mate back with no serious consequences.

Just wanted to share the good news with you guys.
With little else but the usual goings here I will return to reading and whistling about the new simulator.
It would be nice to have it, but right now staying busy enough with P3D and the bought scenery.
It keeps me from upgrading my equipment while it matures.

#4537965 - 09/22/20 01:30 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope to talk with Roger tomorrow, but have gotten lazy it seems and have not checked in here as often as I should.

I really have no excuse not to have checked in earlier. Even popped into the Community news and failed to make an entry here.
Do enjoy seeing what others are up to, and have not even gotten the new sim since I'm not sure I could run it.
Yes, like probably most of us, staying home and trying to wear a mask. Yes, grin, I do wear one outside the house.

#4538287 - 09/24/20 07:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I sure am thankful that I learned to love to read and generally never get bored because the way things are currently, not a lot of people are very sociable. Went into a store yesterday with two clerks and li'l ol' me and in spite of the room being quite large they slipped on their masks with practised ease almost like a magician conjuring something out of thin air and didn't even rip out the receipt of the machine to hand it to me. Felt like a leper. Am looking forward to the day someone asks me do sanitise my hands and tell them that I did so just 5 seconds ago when leaving the previous shop.

The books I read currently are not about anything much: A writer who has entered his sixth decade goes on a sea voyage on a commercial vessel carrying containers to revisit some places where he stopped over in his youth. Admiring the views from the vessel's cabin or on deck, sometimes getting ashore for a few hours or a couple of days depending on the loading and unloading schedule of the ship, he is somewhat preoccupied with his enlarged prostate and his thirst for red wine while searching for his literary creative spark. This is probably the kind of book one will only enjoy if one is in a somewhat similar state of mind and at the same point in life. Nostalgia for lost youth and only too aware of it.

Then there is a book about the same writer's literary trials and tribulations, occasionally scoring a bestseller or two, only to slide back into the mass of the mostly unknown authors. In the book he re-introduces some chapters from his books, some of it a bit cheesy and dated, like a 60's psychedelic dream, but some of it quite intriguing, like describing quite fascinating characters.

I read this author originally many years ago, when he was a bestselling author and remember rereading those bestsellers a couple of years ago thinking they were not as great as I thought back then. Now however I seem to have developed a desire to collect and read more of his work, what of it is available. Thankfully the books that are available sell for very reasonable prices of a few dollars apiece.

It seems I have a nostalgia for and some unfinished business with these books.

Well, this is just intended to serve as an excuse to post here again knowing only too well that often time slips through our fiingers and suddenly a fortnight or more has passed since last communique.

Last edited by McGonigle; 09/24/20 07:22 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4539346 - 10/03/20 05:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

After years of harbouring books mainly of aviation and historical railway interest I decided to have a clear out and finally donated them to a lockdown library that is being set up.

Some of them go back to my teenage years including Aeromodeller Annuals from 1955-57.

I clung onto my first edition Buffalo Bill Annual for 1951 but that had to go, too.

Quite a bit more stuff that I can't be bothered to put on Ebay has ended up under new ownership. Trouble is when I look around I hardly seem to have put a dent in it!

I decided to keep my Battle of Britain: Then and Now tome by Winston G. Ramsey. A monumental work which I thoroughly recommend to any student of that epic campaign. yep

Manfred von Richtofen

Page 603 of 608 1 2 601 602 603 604 605 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.