Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4531074 - 07/23/20 12:10 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
BTW, not sure if it's been discussed: You guys saw that Larian is doing Baldur's Gate 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS7PsSuwY3I

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4531076 - 07/23/20 12:13 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, and that means the IP is in good hands I reckon.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4508891/

As I mentioned in that thread I think this will turn out great.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4531080 - 07/23/20 01:05 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The problem I have with this game is that I am never high enough level and there just doesnt seem to be anything to really grind with. There are no random battles etc.You can go through and kill everything in an area and do all the quests and by the time you get to the next area you are still 3-4 levels to low. I guess I could start slaughtering all the villagers.

#4531081 - 07/23/20 01:06 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
FWIW: I've said a lot about how much I mod. Each modder rationalizes why they should mod a game rather than play it as designed. One rationalization is that its fun to figure out how to mod a game. My simple game/plot centric rationalization follows.

My DOS Avatar is attached.

My Avatar in an RPG is always my wife (when she was young) -- unless there is no female option. She virtually always has gray hair because my wife had gray hair in her 30s. On flight sims, I once made a model of her as the pilot. That way, my wife is "with me" even when I'm playing and we're apart.

What's my point?

I game-centric rationalize my heavy modding this way. I am NOT the "lead character" -- the lead character is my wife.

The RPGs I play always seem to have a "supernatural" power (or powers) involved. I am not the heroine, I am the supernatural power watching over the heroine. Thus, justifying modding -- being my wife's supernatural guardian angel, I have the power and authority to go beyond what is natural in the game smile

Attached Files DOSAvatar.png

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4531082 - 07/23/20 01:29 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Master]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Master
The problem I have with this game is that I am never high enough level and there just doesnt seem to be anything to really grind with. There are no random battles etc.You can go through and kill everything in an area and do all the quests and by the time you get to the next area you are still 3-4 levels to low. I guess I could start slaughtering all the villagers.

I can see where you are coming from, but I assure you it isn't the case. I've played through to the end of Act III on Tactician in this run and never killed any ordinary citizens. There is much that is hidden. The XP is there, but not easy to find. I made this post on the first page three years ago. It's just one example.

Spoilers needed

In one quest I am in a cave. There are children there playing as kids do. I decide to talk to one of the kids who asks if I want to play hide and seek. I decide to play along. The kid runs off and I follow him with the camera and the party and 'find' him right away. He wasn't even hidden. He says let's do it again. It would be easy to just ignore it and go on your way. Enough's enough kid. But I say yes again. Now he goes invisible. I guess right and find him again. Impressed, he says he wants you to meet his friend and he goes through a small hole in the rocks, too small for my party to fit. But nearby we find a place we can dig, revealing a hatch. Down the hatch in to a room where we find his friend, a huge undead knight that has been impaled on a spear for the past thousand years. My fighter is strong enough to pull the spear out and the knight is grateful and offers a whole new quest chain, that I would have completely missed if I hadn't decided to keep playing hide and seek. This stuff is hidden completely. No flashing rocks saying lookee here!

That said, I DO feel slightly underleveled when getting to Driftwood. This fight

scarecrow fight

is very hard if you're not prepared for it. I just probe around to level up, and save that fight for a little later. Gear is important as well, as it is quickly made obsolete as you level. IIRC I was level 9 when leaving the first map (Reaper's Eye) and sailing on to Driftwood.

Make sure one of your party has the Pet Pal perk, this will open up quests as well. It's impossible for me to know what XP opportunities another player is missing. But I had a friend who played this game and one day we were talking and I mentioned I had just become the Champion of the Fort Joy arena, and he was like what's the Fort Joy arena? If you haven't, cycle all companions through your party and explore their individual quest chains.

Be sure to pursue companion quests early, because...

There comes a point of no return, when you are left with only your current party members, and all others are gone, and their quests go with it

I mix it up for each run, but my current party is my custom Human Ranger main, Fane, Red Prince and Lohse.

#4531091 - 07/23/20 03:18 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes that's my experience with this game as well Master.

Nice tips DBond, those will be helpful

#4531096 - 07/23/20 03:54 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Any time. I've run through DOS 2 a few times so I have lots more tips if needed.

I think I am usually level 5 or 6 when escaping Fort Joy and level 9 when leaving Reaper's Eye. The XP is there. The Griff fight is a good one for XP, but not easy.

You can re-enter Fort Joy after escaping, and that's what I do. Level and gear up a bit out on the island and come back to give the magisters the good news.

Another tip that can help gain access to locked rooms and buildings, and which may not be obvious at first

Fane, being a skeleton, can use his bony fingers to pick locks

Drop a point or two in to Lucky Charm on the character you use to open containers. Finding leveled Purple gear in a trash heap is a nice boost. With a high enough Lucky Charm stat you can even get legendary and divine gear (6 points?)

Don't fret too much over regrettable or sub-optimal build path choices you may have made in the first act. There's free respec in Act 2.

#4531124 - 07/23/20 09:28 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by Allen
I game-centric rationalize my heavy modding this way. I am NOT the "lead character" -- the lead character is my wife.

As long as this isn't a reference to all other parts of life wink

Found this really cute, in a loving way. Thanks for sharing.

#4531184 - 07/24/20 01:41 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Agreed Colonel, good post Allen.

I am tempted to ask about your wife's build but I feel that' might be a bit too personal biggrin

I finally made it to Act IV last night in my Tactician run. The early bits of the run were hard, through level 5 or so. But then I got my feet under me, and have made good progress. I can handle the fights on this setting. But then I got to Arx and man did I get my ass kicked in my first fight there. This is going to be a tough one to crack. If I can just find enough source for Lohse the whole thing will shift, as the Thunderstorm spell is a game changer, but requires three source points. And she is out after the battles at the end of Act III. Hopefully I can find a way to get past it.

#4531233 - 07/24/20 06:48 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: DBond]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by DBond
Agreed Colonel, good post Allen.

I am tempted to ask about your wife's build but I feel that' might be a bit too personal biggrin

Currently, 4'11" and 97 athletic lbs. Her build is what sold and continues to sell me biggrin

We're older now smile In her youth, she would have made a fine little mage -- thus, that's how I portray her (in games that allow). She would not have been much of a swordswoman -- one of the swords hanging on my wall is only about 3 inches shorter than she is smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4531235 - 07/24/20 06:53 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha I meant how you spent her attribute and skill points! smile

Ah, wordplay.

#4531254 - 07/24/20 09:12 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I thought maybe I was divulging too much or maybe missed a clever point. Not the first time or the last smile

#4531309 - 07/25/20 11:42 AM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I'm tempted to say something funny that could be interpreted as mean, so I won't biggrin

#4531310 - 07/25/20 11:45 AM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was just having some fun with the various meanings of the word build smile

After making the post about Lucky Charm I actually did what I said, investing a couple more points (five total on main, two on Red Prince) and began finding Divine gear. In just a couple hours I found five Divine items in barrels and such.

Not sure how it works precisely. In Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire (another game I think is fantastic) the entire party contributes to these party skills, with the character performing the action's stats more heavily weighted, but with any other points in that stat on other party members also contributing to the roll. In DOS 2 it might just be an absolute total and having it on the character opening the container might not matter? Regardless, once I put the points on Red Prince the Divine gear began dropping. A massive boost. Here's the first one I found in a random barrel while out looking to replenish my source to tackle the battle that kicked my arse shortly before. Everything I read suggests it is not party cumulative, but my experience suggests otherwise.

[Linked Image]

As it turned out there were a number of pre-placed bodies lying about and topping off source on all characters was simple and I tried that battle again and got through it with nary a scratch. A little better plan and it was no problem. Amazing what a different approach combined with high ground (and Thunderstorm!) can do to change the fortunes in battle.

I've talked a lot about Tactician mode, which I think is this game's sweetspot. Here's what it changes

-- No player alterations.
-- NPCs get +50% Vitality, +50% Damage, +2% Damage boost per/lvl, +50% Armor, +1.5% Armor Growth per/lvl, +35% Magic Armor, +1.5% Magic Armor Growth per/lvl, 10% boost to Chances to Hit.
-- Enemies have more AP, skills and abilities
-- Different merchant prices
-- Smart A.I.

Needless to say that raises the challenge level considerably. They hit harder, are better protected, have more AP to perform more actions as well as use/have more skills and abilities. When you've run through the game once and learn the mechanics and have better understanding of build synergies, a second run on Tactician is a great way to put it all to the test.

Attached Files divineshield.jpg

#4531336 - 07/25/20 03:38 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Risen 3 update to 3 day old post:

I've finished. Very good RPG in most respects. I recommend. But keep in mind the following:

The Good: The Final Boss fight was in keeping with the story and allowed my character to use his strengths. It was not a "mini game" requiring unique twitch skills (as Risen 1 final Boss required). I used my normal Boss Techniques and they worked the first time -- though I had serious doubts at the beginning of that Final fight.

Major Problem: Towards the end of my game path (end Chapter 3 and begin Chapter 4), I had to face Major Battles with several "special" enemies to bring the game to a conclusion. Okay. However, 3 were difficult mini-games I could not have prepared for. Moreover, those battles that were absolutely required to progress had significant design/execution flaws by the game developer. One would freeze the PC every time I won the fight and make me fight the long fight again -- with no way out. Went online to see others have had the same issues since Risen 3 was released. It was ruining the experience for me. So, I played those three battles on "easy" mode -- and tried some on-line suggestions/gimics to obviate the "game freeze on winning" -- that path worked.

Still, Risen has much to recommend as a set -- just be ready to get creative a few times with unusual twitch mini-games smile

#4531398 - 07/25/20 10:32 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sounds like Pirahna Bytes has kept their traditions, in more ways than one!

As I said I played the Gothic games and especially liked Gothic 2. That was the first game I ever played where the NPCs had life cycles, where they went to work, then to the pub after, and then back home to sleep at night. I remember how many times I waited impatiently for the shopkeepers to open their doors in the morning. But those games also had their quirks and technical issues as the Risen games appear to carry on smile

#4531404 - 07/26/20 12:26 AM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Back to Divinity Original Sin II Definitive Edition. I'm finishing Map 2 at this point.

FWIW: A picture of my party. I'm sure some of you have a very similar looking party.

Attached Files Party.png
Last edited by Allen; 07/27/20 10:39 AM.

#4531574 - 07/27/20 12:22 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My party can be seen in the shot above. I made Lohse blonde smile

Composition:

Main: Custom Human Ranger. A pure build with enough Aerotheurge for teleportation. High Lucky Charm and Bartering

Red Prince: Battlemage. High Strength/Constitution sword and board fighter with some Pyro and Geo. High Persuasion

Fane: Battlemage. Medium strength sword and board fighter with high Necromancy and Summoning. High thievery and sneaking. Bony fingers mean lockpicks don't matter

Lohse: Aerotheurge and Hydrosophist mage. Excels as damage dealer/crowd control and healer. High Loremaster

By the midpoint of the game the characters have acquired enough skills that it becomes very rare that they ever use their weapons, aside from the ranger.

None are specced in to Polymorph or Scoundrel.

#4531588 - 07/27/20 01:37 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
My main character was custom Human Female Sylvia. She's mainly a mage who carries a bow.

For the others, I made the Default pick when the time came to make them party members. Lohose uses magic and a crossbow currently, Ifan uses a crossbow almost exclusively, The Red Prince gets the best armor and hand weapon for face-to-face combat. These characters do make use of special arrows, etc. -- so are magic in that way.

DOS 2 came with very good modding software. Yet, even though a modder, I've not used it. Two reasons: 1. I did not know about it (duh), I just started playing. 2. By the time I knew about it, I was satisfied with my build, weapons, etc available in-game and did not want to spend the time learning the software just to make more minor changes. I have made some easy changes using other techniques. As usual with my changes, this allows me to experience more of the game in one playing -- e.g. more conversation choices, wider selection of useful items to play with.

FWIW: Baldur's Gate 3 (same studio) I imagine will have similar modding software. I'll start working with it from day 1 (if its there day one). The original Baldur's gate got me started on RPG. I was all Flight Sims before that. So, I plan to give BG3 "all my attention" -- at least at the start (that and MSFS 2020 which also will have an SDK included).

#4531727 - 07/28/20 12:15 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
DOS2: Very end of map 2. We're Level 16. We did NOT perform a quest given us by a level 20 character (huge armor and health). We avoided telling him that. We were on the boat to leave for the 3d map but were told to go back and see him. It was optional, but seemed okay to do considering the situation. Depending on one's path through the game, this situation may not come up.

Went to his location. Started the conversation saying we had not done what he asked. He immediately got angry and started killing -- we expected a way to "talk it out" -- nope.

Part that bugged me: He attacked without giving us a "way out". Moreover, he seemed to get way more than 2 attacks in for his first turn. Two of us were virtually dead before doing anything and dead after our first turn -- other 2 were injured. I had walked in there unprepared. So, I "cheated". I reloaded and we started the fight before that conversation took place just to see if it was winnable. It took quite a while to grind him down -- fortunately, it was 4 against 1. I had not expected to be "forced into an unwinnable battle" during a "friendly" conversation. I did have the choice of avoiding talking to him. On to the 3d map now.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.