Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4387418 - 10/30/17 07:02 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I've played through Tyranny and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4387421 - 10/30/17 07:31 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks MadDog, that's good to know. Can you tell me what you liked about it or didn't like about it? What game(s) would you compare it most closely with?

Is it text-based or fully voice-acted?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4387422 - 10/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Tyranny is supposedly mostly text, with very little voice only for the important scenes.

That's the main reason I haven't tried Pillars or Wasteland 2 - Divinity really spoiled me.

#4387445 - 10/30/17 09:41 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I liked it because it was morally gray - and also gave you play on a large scale than most normal RPGs.

You do play a tyrant-wannabe biggrin

#4387530 - 10/31/17 11:41 AM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks MadDog. I bought it last night, $18 in the Steam sale. Now to get around to actually playing it smile

#4529564 - 07/11/20 07:37 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I like to necro old threads, I guess smile

I happened to run a search today for top PC games. I checked out PCGamer's list (from last August), which I've seen many times through the years, and I was astounded, I say, to see that DOS2 is their top-ranked game of all time. I'm a big fan, but this took me by surprise, that this sort of game would occupy such a lofty perch.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-pc-gamer-top-100-now/12/

As far as iso-RPGs go I rate this one the best I've played. It is an instant classic in my view, but still surprising to see it gain the top spot in a mainstream publication like PCGamer.

#4529593 - 07/12/20 01:59 AM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Play through Ultima 6 and Ultima 7, as well as both Ultima Underworld games before you pass that judgement. smile

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/12/20 01:59 AM.
#4530096 - 07/15/20 03:53 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You mean the ones from the 90s? Yeah, I know they had a good rep, and were groundbreaking in a number of ways. But there's little chance I would go so retro smile

I just wasn't in to that sort of game then. Not sure what my first RPG was, maybe Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate. But those were a few years later.

#4530963 - 07/22/20 03:03 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
50% off all week on Steam. Just a heads up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/435150/Divinity_Original_Sin_2__Definitive_Edition/

Since making the necro post I've picked up my suspended save from last summer and am once again reminded that Larian really hit the right notes with this game. I've talked about what I don't like, specifically the new armor mechanics and the way initiative was reworked. But even with those changes it's still my favorite iso-RPG combat system. I never tire of the battles and look forward to the next one.

Aside from those complaints I give DOS 2 high marks for just about everything else. Story, voice acting, dialog (it's very well-written and voiced. Completely voiced too), build options, sound, artwork, quests and on and so forth. I'm sure I've said all of this on this board a time or two.

Like DOS 1, I played through on normal, and now another run on Tactician (using no gift bag bonuses). This is the way this game should be played. Just the right amount of challenge. No need to prattle on, I've said it all before. But if you like this sort of game and have not played either of the Original Sin games you really should give them a try. And at this price it is a really nice deal.

#4530967 - 07/22/20 04:00 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Interesting to see this thread update today. Recently, I have over 150 hours in Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition. But, I take a lot of time grinding and modding -- half the fun. I also did a restart that adds to Steam's calculated hours.

I'm on hold for a month while I binge play Risen, Risen 2, Risen 3 for the first times (nearly done with Risen 3) -- in total those will take nearly 200 hours (grinding and modding). I obviously have time to kill the last couple months smile

I too like Divinity OS2DE. Very classic and very good. But, I would have a hard time picking my favorite RPG of all time -- possibly Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Ultimate Edition (finished original main story when it first came out). I'll probably jump back and finish Divinity OS2DE after Risen 3.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4530969 - 07/22/20 04:13 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Risen was fun until I made it about 70% through and grew frustrated with how rigidly combat worked compared with say Dark Souls. Are the sequels worth playing through?

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/22/20 04:13 PM.
#4530973 - 07/22/20 04:24 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Allen
But, I would have a hard time picking my favorite RPG of all time

Well I am just talking isometric ones, not first or third person, in which case I'd give the nod to Witcher 3.

I've long considered the Risen games. The Gothic series was one I cut my teeth on, especially Gothic 2, and I know they share a lineage.

Do you play DOS on Tactician or Honor? Just curious.

#4530977 - 07/22/20 04:39 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Interesting to see this thread update today. Recently, I have over 150 hours in Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition. But, I take a lot of time grinding and modding -- half the fun. I also did a restart that adds to Steam's calculated hours.

Haha, I hit 350 last night, and that's just the DE. For both DOS 1 and DOS 2 I've played both editions of each game about the same amount of time (a normal run followed by a Tactician run). So it's probably around 300 x 4 (spread out over six years) smile

So much replayability in it for me, and that has a lot to do with Divinity's classless build system. So much freedom.

Here's a solid review of DOS 2 from Eurogamer. This is before Definitive Edition, which only made the game better (in my opinion)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-21-divinity-original-sin-2-review

#4530995 - 07/22/20 06:21 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Risen was fun until I made it about 70% through and grew frustrated with how rigidly combat worked compared with say Dark Souls. Are the sequels worth playing through?

I'm not an expert game analyst. The following are things that caught my attention.

I found Risen 1 to be mediocre -- but, I pushed through and am not unhappy I did. It had some "odd" characteristics and showed its age. The Final Boss (before the credits started rolling) was a weird battle that took twitch skills and used little of what my character had to offer -- I had been a mage -- I died and reloaded a few times in that last battle. Most RPG I try not to die at all and am displeased if I die more than two or three times in the entire game -- sometimes after a couple deaths, I start over (okay if I die accidentally). I died several times in a single battle more than once.

In Risen 2 to have mage skills (I am nearly always a mage, if available) meant taking a story path I did not want to take. So, I had to develop twitch skills and build my "swordsmanship" to the most active and twitchy ever -- I died a lot (a true twitch player would not be impressed smile ). After Risen 1, I expected a tough/unique final battle. But, I crushed the Big Boss with my sword on the first try -- no contest (huh?). Still, the graphics and story had improved significantly. I found it enjoyable. Its unique in that you become a Pirate on the high seas for part of it -- main battles are still on land.

In Risen 3, I use both Sword and Magic (there are other choices). I modded the game to allow both to be strong -- and I have fun picking one mode or the other for individual battles. My modding is to allow more choice during a single game -- I don't want to play it a few times to try all the paths that interest me. In Risen 3 the graphics have improved but are similar to Risen 2 (many of the same places and models). There are multiple ways to create a character in different schools of magic combined with swordsmanship and or musket use. However, all the schools seem to give very similar spells and the same swords (I know because I modded to get them all). In that respect, choosing a different path is largely an illusion (I think). Thus, modding to have all the spells in the game gave no significant advantage and made no real difference (pick a half dozen of the 20+ and use them). Its a good game and I'm enjoying it. But I'm not finished yet.

In summary, Risen series is not for everyone. It might pay to go straight to Risen 3 -- it continues the Risen 1/Risen 2 story but does it in a "stand alone" mode. I like the ways Risen 2 and 3 made you look everywhere and talk to everyone and try every conversation path to "uncover solutions" (I call it grinding) -- moving the story wasn't all about combat. Moreover, the peculiar aspects of Risen and Risen 2 seem to have been addressed. I'm not selling it. But, if one is an RPG aficionado, I could recommend the Risen games (others have). This is my opinion -- other opinions will definitely vary.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4530996 - 07/22/20 06:45 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: DBond]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by DBond
But, I would have a hard time picking my favorite RPG of all time

Do you play DOS on Tactician or Honor? Just curious.

I play DOD "Definitive" in "Classic" mode. Hopefully, those combine story and combat in a balanced/traditional RPG way.

I don't want "easy" combat or "hard" -- just "normal". I want maximum story when such a choice is possible. To me "Story" mode (one of the choices) itself cuts combat.

I go the "normal" route and then mod as needed to enjoy a larger experience on one play through. I spent over 1000 hours in Skyrim and over 1000 hours in Fallout 4 due to the deep modding possible making it more fun (played both twice plus some restarts). In that type of game I mod textures, 3D models, weapon specs, and invent new weapons, armor, etc.

#4530999 - 07/22/20 07:17 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK cool, thanks Allen. I always play once on Classic then again on Tactician once I have the systems down. Just curious how you were playing.

Tactician does indeed ramp up the combat difficulty, especially in the early going. But by the time you've left Fort Joy you have a solid party and leveled characters and I find that Tactician keeps the challenge up, when in Classic I feel like my growing power begins to outstrip the AI. I don't necessarily recommend it for a first playthrough, but it's perfect for a second, having learned the game inside and out during the first run.

Enemies in tactician get some bonuses, which makes it harder of course -- more armor, hit harder, etc. But the real attraction to it is how they play. In Classic the AI is 'restricted', they don't use all of the spells or abilities they could. Like I don't know that I've ever seen the AI use teleportation in combat on Classic. So I see it not just as a buff, but as better AI, and that's always a good thing.

#4531019 - 07/22/20 09:30 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
So, I had to develop twitch skills and build my "swordsmanship" to the most active and twitchy ever -- I died a lot (a true twitch player would not be impressed smile ).

I bet you died less than I did on Fallen Order.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4531022 - 07/22/20 09:52 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: DBond]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by DBond

Enemies in tactician get some bonuses, which makes it harder of course -- more armor, hit harder, etc. But the real attraction to it is how they play. In Classic the AI is 'restricted', they don't use all of the spells or abilities they could. Like I don't know that I've ever seen the AI use teleportation in combat on Classic. So I see it not just as a buff, but as better AI, and that's always a good thing.

Quote: "the real attraction to it is how they play" "So I see it not just as a buff, but as better AI".

That's good information -- that's what I want in the game. Had I known that, I may have tried it. I may be remembering the "old days" where hard mode just upped the enemy specifications or added more enemies to grind through.

FWIW, some enemies do seem to jump/teleport (whatever they're using) to new locations with my settings.

#4531023 - 07/22/20 10:00 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
There's a thread I didn't expect to resurface.

I didn't get deeply into DOSII initially, but this spring a started a new game on the Definitive Edition, and after some mucking around am now at a point where it really is becoming fun. I notice that I fuffed around way too long on the previous playtrough with no plan what to do, whereas getting out of Fort Joy early with a little help from the internet makes all the difference for me, as there's better gear and spells which add a lot of the gameplay.

Wouldn't have thought I'd ever say that, but it's giving Witcher 3 a run for the money for my current fantasy RPG fix (of course, vastly different mechanics, but setting-wise they scratch the same need...)

#4531070 - 07/23/20 11:25 AM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Quality threads about quality games are hard to keep down Colonel smile

That's good information -- that's what I want in the game. Had I known that, I may have tried it. I may be remembering the "old days" where hard mode just upped the enemy specifications or added more enemies to grind through.

FWIW, some enemies do seem to jump/teleport (whatever they're using) to new locations with my settings.

I think playing Classic first is a good idea, because when you're new to the game Tactician would feel a bit much I think. But after you've run through it, Tactician gives a good reason to play again (and Lone Wolf too for that matter), and to apply all you've learned to a more challenging game while making the best use of your understanding of character development. I expect that most players making Tactician their entry point would feel frustrated, especially in Fort Joy. I know that I had to squeeze every last bit of XP out of it just to level enough get past the crocodiles where you get the teleportation gloves.

And yes, the AI uses teleportation-like abilities on Classic, things like Tactical Retreat to reposition themselves. But what I meant was using teleportation offensively, by teleporting you.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.