Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4530455 - 07/18/20 09:05 AM Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Hey, all.

I have recently been enjoying the Divide et Impera supermod for Rome II Total War and I know many of you are big Total War enthusiasts. I am curious, has anyone else here tried this mod? If so, what were your impressions?

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4530464 - 07/18/20 11:41 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm still getting my feet wet in TW with Warhammer 2, but I do have Rome 2. After playing the opening of the campaign just to get a taste of it, I'm thinking I'll give it a whirl when I tire of WH. I know it's a total overhaul mod, but what kind of things does it do?

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4530546 - 07/19/20 02:33 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
It's a major rework of the game. Probably the hardest thing, for me, was realizing that I couldn't play it like vanilla Rome II. I had to start it over a few times as I re-learned the mechanics. It is much more in depth. Much more a true strategy game. Everything seems to matter now...the politics, diplomacy, and whatnot. Before they were more interesting flavor. Now they are critical to success.

There are a great deal more unit types, many available by region. The visuals of the units have been reworked as well.

One of the biggest changes is to recruitment. Recruitment is now tied to region population, which is broken down by class. You have to have sufficient numbers of the required class to field the corresponding unit. Additionally, replenishment of losses is tied to these numbers as well.

There are now four turns per year, broken down by seasons, which have various effects on each region and also the units contained within them.

There is a supply element that must be considered when executing your campaigns.

The various reforms for the Roman faction are present and provide interesting variety to your tactics and upgrades for your units. (Polybian, Marian, Imperial reforms).

I have only really played through the initial Roman Italian campaigns versus the Samnites and Pyrrhus of Epirus. What used to be an insignificant early portion of the grand campaign was now very engaging and challenging. I feel like this is probably what Rome II Total War always should have been. I have a degree in History, with an emphasis on Classics, and a minor in Latin. I say that to illustrate I have spent a long time reading ancient sources about this period and am very familiar with it. It is interesting to me how much the changes from this mod have changed the way you play the game, and kind of forced you into the shoes of the ancients...it's really remarkable.

I am interested to see how the gameplay progresses as I try to negotiate the First Punic War. I'm also interested in the impressions you guys have, when/if you try it.

For more reading: Divide et Impera Mod

Last edited by VMIalpha454; 07/19/20 02:39 AM.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
#4530549 - 07/19/20 03:17 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
The addition of the a supply line is intriguing . . . that is definitely one of the major omissions of vanilla Total War games to date. How does the AI handle the supply rules?

#4530552 - 07/19/20 05:34 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: Nimits]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by Nimits
The addition of the a supply line is intriguing . . . that is definitely one of the major omissions of vanilla Total War games to date. How does the AI handle the supply rules?

As far as I can tell the AI is bound by the same supply limitations as the player, though I'll freely admit that my experience has been limited to this point. There are several new units (supply ship and supply train) that can assist your campaigning efforts. It is also possible to provide supplies from your navy (with a supply ship) to an army ashore. There are also new supply building options that must be developed if you want to ensure your advancing armies remain in supply.

#4530556 - 07/19/20 11:38 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm gonna have to check it out at some point. Thanks for the info on it.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4530569 - 07/19/20 02:10 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks for the info VM downloading it now

Russ
Semper Fi
#4530582 - 07/19/20 03:45 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
You’re welcome, guys. I hope you enjoy it!

#4530666 - 07/20/20 01:18 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I have over 3,200 hours in Rome 2 according to Steam and all of it is without any mods. biggrin

This mod does sound interesting though so I may try it out.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4530680 - 07/20/20 02:45 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I love the global scope of Empire TW but the game needed a lot more polish and the lack of a cooperative MP mode was a huge minus for me. Maybe one day CA will make an Empire 2 and correct those mistakes? We can hope.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4530714 - 07/20/20 06:10 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Yeah PM Empire could use some polishing,,But then most of the games I own have rough edges..Especially some that I bought this year PG2..UOC II CC the Bloody first..Those are getting patches but I wish Empire could be remade,,I'll play Rome with the mod eventually,,Good thing for me I don't do MP

Russ
Semper Fi
#4530798 - 07/21/20 12:20 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I could sure use some help from folks who know what they are doing..It kept crashing on me last night when trying to start a game..
Installed Rome II Rise Of The Republic Downloaded the two parts and have two folders with a .prg and a .pak file..
Went to their site and only install instructions I could find read and that was for a 1.25 version

Installation Instructions
1. Download the pack from one of the links above. Place that pack in your Rome 2 data folder.
2. When you load the game, click Mod Manager. Make sure the fix pack is listed above the main mod files and that the fix pack loads first. For now this is not available on Steam.
Do I just put the four parts into the data folder or do I need to do something else ?? I found TW Rome II Mos Manager 2.0 is this what I install ??
Any help is appreciated kind of want to give Shogun2 a break Thank you for any help to get this right

Russ
Semper Fi
#4530843 - 07/21/20 05:03 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: rwatson]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Sorry to hear you are having trouble, RWatson. I didn’t have to do all that because I installed it and run it through Steam. Here is the link to DEI in the Steam Workshop

#4530844 - 07/21/20 05:17 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Sorry VM I don't have the steam version

Russ
Semper Fi
#4530845 - 07/21/20 05:18 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: rwatson]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by rwatson
Sorry VM I don't have the steam version

I thought Rome 2 was only available via Steam? I guess I was wrong!

#4530847 - 07/21/20 05:39 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Think you are right PM..Like a dumb Arse I installed the first Rome game off a cd I had,,Now got to dig through the archives and find Rome II..And if steam adds the mod that's great..
Found it in my steam library..uninstalled it a few years ago i guess but ,it's there..Didn't think to look on Steam

Last edited by rwatson; 07/21/20 06:00 PM.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4530930 - 07/22/20 06:55 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by VMIalpha454

As far as I can tell the AI is bound by the same supply limitations as the player, though I'll freely admit that my experience has been limited to this point. There are several new units (supply ship and supply train) that can assist your campaigning efforts. It is also possible to provide supplies from your navy (with a supply ship) to an army ashore. There are also new supply building options that must be developed if you want to ensure your advancing armies remain in supply.

My concern would be does the AI know how to use these new units?

I remember some mods for Napoleon: Total War that made both the campaign map and tactical battle unit behaviors and movement speeds more realistic, but the AI could not cope with it, and it gave the human player an advantage.

#4530941 - 07/22/20 12:07 PM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: Nimits]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I remember some mods for Napoleon: Total War that made both the campaign map and tactical battle unit behaviors and movement speeds more realistic, but the AI could not cope with it, and it gave the human player an advantage.

Heck, I've seen bizarre AI behavior in the 3D battles under the un-modded versions! The most hilarious example I can remember is the AI using its unsupported mounted general unit to do a suicide charge against my defending spear/pike men in TW: Attila.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/22/20 12:08 PM.

#4531051 - 07/23/20 04:20 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: Nimits]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn

I am not far enough along in the game to know whether everything works as it should. What I have experienced, though, has been that the AI is very good. It will punish you if you aren't paying attention. I would say it is certainly better than the stock game.

I have only really seen one instance where the AI made a boneheaded move...they sailed a full stack army out to try and take on a smaller fleet of warships, and were destroyed.

So far, it has been really challenging, rewarding, and enjoyable.

#4535242 - 08/30/20 06:05 AM Re: Rome II Total War: Divide et Impera [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by VMIalpha454

I am not far enough along in the game to know whether everything works as it should. What I have experienced, though, has been that the AI is very good. It will punish you if you aren't paying attention. I would say it is certainly better than the stock game.

I have only really seen one instance where the AI made a boneheaded move...they sailed a full stack army out to try and take on a smaller fleet of warships, and were destroyed.

So far, it has been really challenging, rewarding, and enjoyable.

Well, in fairness, the stock R2TW campaign AI did that as well, so nothing new I guess.

Does it reduce the number of female characters/leaders back to a historical level, especially for the non-Greco/Roman cultures?

Last edited by Nimits; 08/30/20 06:05 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.