Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 49 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 48 49
#4530381 - 07/17/20 06:40 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
Congrats on yet another achievement!
Denmark has been busy in your game, eh?
I'm also wondering if a war with Spain is imminent....

Thanks JC. Haha, war with Spain is not just imminent, but incessant smile

That event fired again, the one where they want to unrival. It's called something like Spain Offers Olive Branch. I said no, again.

Granada is one of the institution spawns and we are nearly there. Just waiting for the truce to tick down.

Denmark has played like a champ. It's now Scandinavia.

For the record, those were achievements numbers 116 and 117

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4530436 - 07/17/20 11:37 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Sounds like you must be beating them pretty soundly for them to keep trying to unrival you.
But you've got some work to do there - Corsica, Sardinia, Balearics - they just don't look right in that color.
And of course, you must avenge Portugal!!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4530437 - 07/17/20 11:38 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Sounds like you must be beating them pretty soundly for them to keep trying to unrival you.
But you've got some work to do there - Corsica, Sardinia, Balearics - they just don't look right in that color.
And of course, you must avenge Portugal!!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4530468 - 07/18/20 12:25 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm not sure if it is Spain actually initiating it, or if it is an event that has a a chance of firing as long as certain conditions are met. I suspect it is the latter, and would fire even if they were beating me up.

I think I will call time on this run, having achieved my objective. Ottomans are guaranteeing the independence of Spain. Spain is the world's leading great power so of course this is what happens. It is both ridiculous and an awesome move by Ottomans. It's the sort of thing I would do, but the sort of thing you do not expect from a game. You expect that this would not happen because Ottomans are my ally. Allies shouldn't guarantee sovereignty of their ally's rival. It's such a human move. In one respect it ticks me off. In another, it's a pragmatic move by the AI to limit my growing power.

I could win the war, but it would be such a slog. I have 500k standing army, and Ottomans have 750k. Spain has another 300k and then you add in all of their CNs and allies and well, I'm just not in to it at this stage. I had integrated Austria and was in the process of integrating Tuscany. But I think it's time to wrap it up. I got the achievement I came for, plus one other, so on to the next thing.

#4530474 - 07/18/20 01:15 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
It's more fun to think of them as panicking IMHO. But you are probably right, it is triggered by certain conditions.

I'm not quite sure of the implication of Otto guaranteeing Spain - can you elaborate?

So are you breaking from EUIV for a bit? I've stalled my campaign because I'm getting pulled away by something new and shiny right now (WH2). I'm enjoying my Otto run, but I'm getting really intrigued by WH2.

-Robert Heinlein
#4530476 - 07/18/20 01:36 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When one nation guarantees the independence of another they are essentially protecting them and will answer any defensive call. It allows them to throw their weight around without being allies.

As to what I will do next, I have a run going in WH2 (Eltharion/High Elves) with the latest DLC. I am playing that in fits. I also finally got around last night to installing Ultimate General Gettysburg. It's a game I have had for years having picked it up on sale, but never actually played. It's a far cry from EU IV in terms of scope and complexity, but I had fun with the opening battle (minor victory). I'll probably play that through to the end and try to win the whole thing. There are just three achievements, and if I get them all it's a 'perfect game' of which I only have one, which is Subnautica smile

And I have a few suspended EU IV runs I could pick up (Inca, Nevers, etc). I'll start a new run once I can get some motivation. Paradox are working on Indonesia for the next update and I might wait for that, we'll see.

I'm glad you are enjoying Warhammer, it's a great game, and please don't hesitate to fire any questions or comments in that thread. That's a game I really like talking about (well duh right, what game don't I like talking about? smile )

#4530511 - 07/18/20 06:09 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Thread hijack....

Here is one reason why I have had no time to play this game.. biggrin

Attached Files IMG_4333.jpg
#4530512 - 07/18/20 06:11 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
I'm not sure if it is Spain actually initiating it, or if it is an event that has a a chance of firing as long as certain conditions are met. I suspect it is the latter, and would fire even if they were beating me up.

I think I will call time on this run, having achieved my objective. Ottomans are guaranteeing the independence of Spain. Spain is the world's leading great power so of course this is what happens. It is both ridiculous and an awesome move by Ottomans. It's the sort of thing I would do, but the sort of thing you do not expect from a game. You expect that this would not happen because Ottomans are my ally. Allies shouldn't guarantee sovereignty of their ally's rival. It's such a human move. In one respect it ticks me off. In another, it's a pragmatic move by the AI to limit my growing power.

I could win the war, but it would be such a slog. I have 500k standing army, and Ottomans have 750k. Spain has another 300k and then you add in all of their CNs and allies and well, I'm just not in to it at this stage. I had integrated Austria and was in the process of integrating Tuscany. But I think it's time to wrap it up. I got the achievement I came for, plus one other, so on to the next thing.

Keep your allies close and the enemies of your allies closer. duel

#4530516 - 07/18/20 06:26 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sage advice smile

#4530519 - 07/18/20 06:35 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: WolverineFW]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WolverineFW
Thread hijack....

OK, we'll see about that come November biggrin

#4530523 - 07/18/20 07:17 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: WolverineFW]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by WolverineFW
Thread hijack....

Ok, this is an acceptable reason. biggrin

-Robert Heinlein
#4530614 - 07/19/20 09:46 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I guess in November he swaps the water skis for snow skis so even then the probability that Wolverine plays this game do not increase. smile

I won the campaign in Ultimate General Gettysburg already. It rated it a 'costly victory', but a victory none the less haha. Played as Union on Balanced difficulty. Neat tactical game. It's simple, which is part of it's charm. The AI though seems pretty advanced, with a variety of possible mentalities, and the ability to react to, and exploit, the evolving battlefield. I'm impressed. Enough to be thinking of picking up the Civil War game.

Having done that so quickly I thought about starting a new EU IV run and considered a number of nations and achievements, including the China region which I've never played. I've played in Japan and Indonesia, but not China. And with the Mandate of Heaven DLC it's been fleshed out and sooner or later I'll give it a go. I finally settled on another nation I do not think I have played, Bohemia, the people's Emperor. I opened with a successful war against Poland, which seemed the most sensible route. It was interesting how it all unfolded.

My rival Poland got Lithuania under a PU in 1446. I though great, that's all I need. This makes war against Poland a lot harder of course. I do not share a border with Poland, but my two starting vassals do. They had no claims or cores, so I used the vital interest mechanic to get my vassals to fabricate on Poland's border provinces. Not keen to take them on as things stood, I waited for an opportunity, like them being at war. Just a couple years later a message popped up that Poland had a new ally, Lithuania! How does this happen? Poland must just decide to end the union, even though they had only just formed it. It's odd, and rare. I had been pumping relations with Lithuania in hopes of supporting independence, so as soon as they broke free I used that to form an alliance. I was also allied to Saxony (elector) and had my two vassals.

Poland then declared war on Crimea of all nations. They almost always go for Teutonic Order first, but not when I am next to them I guess. It was against Crimea and a couple of steppe hordes and I thought great, just what I need. Poland gets bigger in an easy war. Lithuania joined them along with Poland's vassal Moravia and maybe one or two more. I could not see the map where the battles were taking place so not sure how it all went down, but the Crimea alliance kinda smoked 'em. Before long Poland's warscore was -50, their standing army was down to about 15k with little manpower. So I kept checking Lithuania. Once they had high enough war exhaustion and a few occupied provinces they would no longer answer Poland's defensive call and that was the opening we needed.

Poland was allied to Brandenburg and Mecklenburg, so I made the decision to deal with those nations first. They were not at war, and if I could hurt them enough I could peace them out and turn my armies toward Poland. So I staged my two small armies on their border and declared war. It' all went to plan as we won the first field battles and then sieged down and occupied Berlin. After a couple of more victories against their remaining troops I peaced out Brandenburg for war reps and a couple of strategic alliance breaks. I want Brandeburg's land. I have to carve my way to sea access and that's a good way to go. But early on the AE is prohibitive, and they are an elector, and my main goal here was Polish land, which would avoid any unlawful HRE territory modifiers. I want to become Emperor as soon as possible, so I have to watch my step.

With my enemies halved by that peace deal we had little trouble occupying all of Poland and Moravia and peaced out, taking a number of border provinces which were then split and fed to the two vassals. I also got war reps and more alliance breaks, most importantly Lithuania. So Poland lose them as ally, and I gain them. This is a huge reversal for Poland and their future looks bleak now. I burned up all of my manpower in that war so I just have to hope no one declares on me until it can recover. But a great start, where initially it looked like I had little option for expansion, but EU IV constantly throws curve balls at you, and if you are both paying attention and prepared, you can suddenly have big success. I'm far from secure, but ti's a good start.

By the way, the vital interest mechanic is really useful, and is the sort of thing some players may not be aware of. It both allows you to get subjects to fabricate (which helped me here) and it also can be used to set which provinces you would like you war-leader ally to give you in peace deals when you are answering their calls.

#4530618 - 07/19/20 11:13 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I never heard of the vital interest mechanic, so thanks for bringing that up.
Sounds like you've got a good start in Bohemia.

-Robert Heinlein
#4530619 - 07/19/20 11:17 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I never heard of the vital interest mechanic, so thanks for bringing that up.
Sounds like you've got a good start in Bohemia.

-Robert Heinlein
#4530661 - 07/20/20 12:23 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
On the diplomatic screen for your nation, the one where it shows opinions of you, one tab will be marked Diplomatic Feedback. If you click that and leave it open, you can then click provinces to add them as vital interest and they will turn red. If your subjects border these they will fabricate on them. If your war-leader ally gives you provinces in the peace deal, they will use this (and claims and cores) when deciding which ones to hand over.

In my France run I had Ottomans give me Sicily this way, I didn't even occupy it, I just had it set as vital interest. When the pop-up occurs asking you to join an ally's war, it's not a bad idea to keep it paused, and have a look at your enemies' territory and add a few provinces as vital interest that you might want out of the deal.

But of course there are pitfalls to this. One is that having provinces set as vital interest will cause diplomatic issues with any other nation that also has set the same province. I've lost alliances this way. Removing the provinces will alleviate the malus and you can probably restore the alliance.

It can also cause problems if you are already near max AE. For example you just finish a war and take territory and get on the edge of a coalition, but not quite. If you then answer an ally's call and he gives you provinces it will take you over the coalition threshold. In these cases it's a good idea to remove them as vital interest, at least temporarily. This must be done before accepting the war, you cannot make changes while at war, or transfer occupation if you have it ocupied. In my France run I had a huge coalition form when my ally gave me two of Flanders' provinces when I could not afford the AE. Luckily I was strong enough that the coalition never declared war. In this Bohemia run, I was given Berlin (which I didn't even realize I had set, if I did at all. But either way I got it) which put me in a coalition who did attack. Not good.

#4594688 - 03/21/22 05:51 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anyone playing this and cares to talk about the current state, and especially the DLC and core changes since, say, Emperor?

#4596319 - 04/06/22 10:05 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Humble Bundle has a nice EUIV bundle. For $20 you get what looks like the game, all expansions, and a bunch of content packs. Goes for another week (until 4/13/2022).

-Robert Heinlein
#4596354 - 04/07/22 12:08 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow, that's an incredible deal considering one DLC is usually twenty bucks. Good spot JC. EU IV is not too popular around these parts, but if anyone's been on the fence don't pass it up at that price.

#4596402 - 04/07/22 08:07 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I took a flyer on it. Now I have all the DLC except for Origins, which IIRC is a content pack and not an expansion. Definitely worth the $20. Oh and that DOES include the base game for anyone wondering. It’s a real steal.

-Robert Heinlein
#4596450 - 04/08/22 12:48 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Smart. I have virtually all of the DLC aside from the non-expansion stuff. But even then I think it would save money to buy this just for the one or two I'm missing. Madness. Paradox must be having a conniption. You can't sell it for a low price argle bargle rarrrr!

Page 44 of 49 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 48 49

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.