I recently came across a fascinating documentary series, Greatest Battles of the Spanish Civil War, available on Amazon Prime and YouTube, in Spanish with English subtitles. The series consists of 15 episodes and runs over seven hours.

For flight sim fans, the series contains fascinating discussion and footage of the role of air power in the battles. I'm currently reading a great biography of General Franco by Stanley G. Payne, and stumbled across the series by accident while looking for further information on the military aspects of the Spanish Civil War.

I haven't flown IL-2 for years, but this documentary has inspired to me dust it off and install any Spanish Civil War mods that are available. Needless to say, ground battles are covered in extensive and clear detail. How I wish there were a Spanish Civil War mod for Steel Armor, Blaze of War!

The downside of the series is that a lot of the footage is repeated from one episode to the next. The saving grace of the series, however, is that presents a logical and comprehensive picture of operations and the role of combined arms (infantry, armor, aviation, and artillery), supported with graphical depictions of the battle space.

History buffs, war gamers, and flight simmers simmers will not be disappointed!

Regards,

tatters