Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4527410 - 06/25/20 05:21 PM Does nyone operate a fleet carrier?  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I have the money, but will wait until I hear some experiences with it.

Haven`t played since February, so I feel a bit too rusty to take step just now.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4527426 - 06/25/20 06:26 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No, not for me, and anyway I'm a bit short at the mo.

Wingnuts might have one?

As excited as I was by my vision of fleet carriers in Elite, I was equally disappointed by the reality.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4527427 - 06/25/20 06:28 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What I've heard from a couple of friends who do have a fleet carrier is that they are finding it difficult to find enough pilots to use the services on their carriers so they can make some money.

What I'm unsure about is how the fleet carriers work when you play in solo mode. If you dock with a fleet carrier and use its services in solo mode, does the owner still get the credits?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4527443 - 06/25/20 07:30 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Well I regret I missed playing the Beta.

I`ll try to catch up viewing some videos on Youtube.

I am so tired of grinding that I will try to spend my credits wisely.
Anyway, we have a heatwave here now, so it I am not tempted to spend hours in the game just now.

Well heatwave is relative. We scandinavians don`t use aircondition so it`s nearly as warm inside as outside.
I contemplate buying a mobile AC every year, but the heat is over before I make a decision. biggrin
Short summers.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4527583 - 06/26/20 05:01 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
With the mining goldrush and everyone want to stock up on the credits, I see several FC Cmdrs ferrying from the Col 285 Sector CC-K A38-2 1 sector to wherever the hot buy station is that day. From my few experiences, they're doing alright. Seems like riders are donating Tritium or LTD's for the ride. One LTD is 1.6 million, so it doesn't take much/many. Open gets exciting though since it's like chumming the water with the loaded ships coming into the station to sell. You've got to know where you're going and be ready to be pulled out of SC to make it to the station with all your cargo/life. smile It's a nice break from exploring on my alt account. Not sure if I'll get a FC at this point...not sure if I need it right now... one acct out exploring and a couple of accounts around the bubble doing different things.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4527800 - 06/28/20 07:14 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I’ve one. Been using as a mobile port and storage facility. Still sussing out the overall utility of it. I can say that I don’t regret the purchase. With no new ships on the horizon, what else is there to spend the geld on.

Last edited by Bohemond; 06/28/20 07:19 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
#4527870 - 06/29/20 11:38 AM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
If Frontier made the necessary licensing deals so they could include ships from the Star Wars, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica universes I guarantee you their player base would explode. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4527880 - 06/29/20 12:15 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Without a doubt!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4527911 - 06/29/20 03:23 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Bo has a carrier?

What did you name it?

I should log in and check it out. Haven't played Elite in weeks.

#4528023 - 06/30/20 01:04 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Bohemond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by Bohemond
I’ve one. Been using as a mobile port and storage facility. Still sussing out the overall utility of it. I can say that I don’t regret the purchase. With no new ships on the horizon, what else is there to spend the geld on.

Hi Bohemond.
How is the turnover pr. week?

#4528025 - 06/30/20 01:13 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Bohemond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
With no new ships on the horizon, what else is there to spend the geld on.

I have the same sentiment.

My uber super duper combat ship - Fed Corvette (fully engineered)
My uber super duper mining and cargo ship - Type 10 Defender (fully engineered)
My uber super duper "travel in style" ship - Imperial Cutter (fully engineered)
My uber super duper exploration ship - Asp Explorer (fully engineered)

My Anaconda, Python and Krait Phantom have been in mothball status for a long time now.

#4528094 - 06/30/20 08:47 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
D, I christened her “Angband” the day I picked it up at Skeggiko O.

#4528095 - 06/30/20 08:50 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted by Wigean

Hi Bohemond.

Wigean,

As I haven’t a clue how the FC trading works, I’ve only a buy order up for Tritium. Only made about 300k in the few weeks since the purchase. According to the ED forums, there are commanders making some serious coin trading with them.

#4528182 - 07/01/20 11:25 AM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Bohemond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by Wigean

Hi Bohemond.

Wigean,

As I haven’t a clue how the FC trading works, I’ve only a buy order up for Tritium. Only made about 300k in the few weeks since the purchase. According to the ED forums, there are commanders making some serious coin trading with them.

Thanks Bohemond.

I still have to read me up on the "howto`s" on this module as I want to be prepared if there are any chances to lose big money. :-)
I might try it in the week-end.

#4528277 - 07/01/20 05:50 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Bohemond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

The fortress of Morgoth? smile

#4528291 - 07/01/20 07:33 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted by DBond

The fortress of Morgoth? smile

You, sir, are correct !

#4528295 - 07/01/20 07:46 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Wigean,
I’m running all services except secure warehouse and my operating expenses are around 25 million per week. That’s only 5 good boom time delivery missions. Jumps in the FC cost 100k per, so I tend not to move it more than 2 or 3 times a week. My biggest issue is that you can’t park them in a permit system, which rules out stationing it in my home system of Shinrarta Dehzra. Not that big of a deal, just an annoyance.
If you get one and decide it’s not for you, you’ll recoup most of the initial outlay of cash if you sell it back. 100 million loss, I think I read somewhere. Not much if you’re sitting on billions.

#4528429 - 07/02/20 06:01 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thanks for the info.
I`ve got around 6 billions to play with, so I guess there is not much of a risk.
Plus I have quite a few ships spread around. I could make some good credits if I sell them.

Have you experienced attacks on your FC? Or is that not possible at all?
Too busy watching soccer games these days. There are games almost every night because of the Corona pause.
I`ll see if I manage to have a go at it tomorrow.

#4528460 - 07/02/20 09:48 PM Re: Does nyone operate a fleet carrier? [Re: Wigean]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
FC’s have defenses like star ports and are supposedly indestructible. I have seen my FC wasting random npc ships on occasion

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.