Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 63 64
#4526757 - 06/22/20 12:44 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Well the founder of Frontier Development,David Braben OBE has a list of awards to his credit.

Copied over from the Wiki...

On 5 September 2005, Braben received the Development Legend Award at the Develop Industry Excellence Awards in Cambridge.

In 2012, Braben was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering.

In 2013, Braben was co-award winner of Tech Personality of the Year at the UK Tech Awards 2013. In the same year he was awarded an honorary degree by Abertay University.

Braben was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2014 Birthday Honours for services to the UK computer and video games industry.

In January 2015, he received the 2015 Pioneer, Game Developers Choice Award (GDCA), for his work on the Raspberry Pi and for working more than 30 years as a game developer.

On 12 March 2015, Braben was awarded the BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award in video gaming at the 11th British Academy Games Awards.

Braben is the recipient of three honorary doctorates from Abertay University (2013), The Open University (2014) and the University of York (15 July 2015).

So Panzer,your assumption was correct smile

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4526758 - 06/22/20 12:50 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
Well the founder of Frontier Development,David Braben OBE has a list of awards to his credit.

On 5 September 2005, Braben received the Development Legend Award at the Develop Industry Excellence Awards in Cambridge.

In 2013, Braben was co-award winner of Tech Personality of the Year at the UK Tech Awards 2013. In the same year he was awarded an honorary degree by Abertay University.

Braben was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2014 Birthday Honours for services to the UK computer and video games industry.

In January 2015, he received the 2015 Pioneer, Game Developers Choice Award (GDCA), for his work on the Raspberry Pi and for working more than 30 years as a game developer.

On 12 March 2015, Braben was awarded the BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award in video gaming at the 11th British Academy Games Awards.

Braben is the recipient of three honorary doctorates from Abertay University (2013), The Open University (2014) and the University of York (15 July 2015).

Well #%&*$#! This guy is like the Elon Musk of game development.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4526759 - 06/22/20 12:56 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

hahaha

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4526764 - 06/22/20 01:43 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by Chucky

A lot of these honours come from his work in engineering, especially with his share in the development of the Raspberry Pi:
In May 2011, Braben announced a new prototype computer intended to stimulate the teaching of basic computer science in schools. Called Raspberry Pi, the computer is mounted in a package the size of a credit card, and has a USB port on one end with a HDMI monitor socket on the other, and provides an ARM processor running Linux for an estimated price of about £15 for a configured system, cheap enough to give to a child to do whatever he or she wants with it.[9] The Raspberry Pi Foundation, a charity whose aim is to "promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing".

Some big changes to ED within the past year. Fleet Carriers is the major one while the sell value of most minerals that you can extract from deep core mining have all been significantly reduced. The happy days of raking up easy money are mostly over.

I know, I still kept some loose track of what's going on, because I knew I will come back. I might make some use of other's carriers while out in the dark; I don't think I will get one myself anytime soon.
And checking my stats, I earned ~3.8 billion from exploration, and ~45 million from mining, so the low temp. diamond nerf mostly affecting some specific exploited system(s) (Borann, iirc) does not really bother me wink

Last edited by WhoCares; 06/22/20 01:53 PM.
#4526767 - 06/22/20 02:48 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I'm jaded and can't stay excited or interested in anything, lately--not for a few days or hours.

I want to play an open world RPG or adventure game with a wonderful plot that is not procedurally generated, no minecraft, and not mission based. Missions ruin the fun and make a game feel like work. I also don't want to chase around icons on a map.

#4526770 - 06/22/20 02:55 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

I want to play an open world RPG or adventure game with a wonderful plot that is not procedurally generated, no minecraft, and not mission based. Missions ruin the fun and make a game feel like work. I also don't want to chase around icons on a map.

Have you ever played Alan Wake? I like to think of it as a mix between Twin Peaks, X-Files and a Stephen King horror movie.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4526771 - 06/22/20 02:58 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm jaded and can't stay excited or interested in anything, lately--not for a few days or hours.

How about Prey, RDR 2 or Kingdom Come Deliverance?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4526802 - 06/22/20 05:45 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by DBond

How about Prey, RDR 2 or Kingdom Come Deliverance?

Beaten Prey, almost beaten KKD, but not played RDR 2. I fear RDR 2 will suffer from the "mission syndrome," like GTA games do.

I enjoy metroidvania style exploration and discovery. Minimal to no missions, whatsoever. What I consider acceptable is say Dark Souls 1 when they said: Go ring the bell tower above and below. Not because you had to, but because of the lore. I want games to feel immersive and full of wonder, without chores.

Prey fit that bill nicely. KKD's "missions" are the only reason I haven't beaten it yet, but they nailed the rest of the game and world. If only it were so much bigger... I hope they make a sequel.

Oh, and I absolutely dislike inventory management and incremental weapon and item upgrades. I don't need 50,000 swords and armor types with only a .01% increase in strength every three minutes to keep me interested. If I were a rat in a maze, I wouldn't press the button to dispense water, I'd devise a way to smash down the walls, gouge out the eyes of the scientists watching me, and raid their fridge, instead. B.F. Skinner and I wouldn't get along.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/22/20 05:47 PM.
#4526803 - 06/22/20 05:47 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted by Timothy
A

I just beat Jedi: Fallen Order. That game was absolutely monstrous to beat. the story was great, but man Story Mode was too easy and Jedi Knight just kicked my butt ever where, like an entire evening to just beat Trilla (each time).

Yup, same here. At first I thought it was just my reflexes perhaps not being up to snuff anymore but then I read stuff online and it seems MANY players found the game difficult. What did you think of that unexpected appearance of you know who at the underwater facility? wink

It was great, but the "plot twist" at the ending scene, I was like, "No way they would have made it." I made sure not to do spoilers and that made it so much more worth it.

Spoiler Alert, don't ruin it if it's on your to play list, trust me:

I was disappointed that the guy didn't sound like JEJ. His appearance was as as good as the Rogue One ending.

They said it was about 20 hours of game play, but for me it was like more than 60. It was like a movie and by far the best Star Wars game since Outcast.

Last edited by Timothy; 06/22/20 05:48 PM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4526820 - 06/22/20 06:32 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Timothy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Timothy

They said it was about 20 hours of game play, .

LOL! Yeah sure if you just rush through the game and don't care about finding all of the secret areas and items. It took me close to 60 hours to finish the game.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/22/20 06:33 PM.

#4526824 - 06/22/20 06:35 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

I enjoy metroidvania style exploration and discovery.

OK, I am picking up what you are putting down, except for one word, but I won't let that stand in the way.

Subnautica

#4526828 - 06/22/20 06:38 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"The Soylent Corporation. They loved people too much."

And they made them tasty, so that you'd love them, too!

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4526836 - 06/22/20 07:08 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by DBond

I enjoy metroidvania style exploration and discovery.

OK, I am picking up what you are putting down, except for one word, but I won't let that stand in the way.

Subnautica

Subnautica is pretty cool. I've been playing that off and on with my Daughter, though she started getting pretty scared after we found the alien structure and began diving really deep, so we switched back to Bannerlord for a while.

Metroidvania is...

Well, best described as the games of Metroid combined with Castlevania Symphony of the Night. They are open world games where exploration and conquest is the goal--a finite, end game goal, but you're free to choose how you get there, what paths you take, etc. The adventure is yours. And they often require lots of skill, are full of secrets, and have no set route, with minimal upgrades and inventory. Hollow Knight is a great modern example.

Dark Souls 1 was a true metroidvania. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker is another great example. As for PC games, maybe Morrowind to a degree, and maybe Fallout 3/4 to a much lesser degree(because missions in Metroidvanias are bad and ruin the spirit of the game), but the original progenitors for this type of game on PC were the Ultima games, particularly Ultima 6 and 7.

I enjoy the journey, and not tasks.

#4526846 - 06/22/20 07:32 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, I only have one more suggestion, and it's not a popular one. But of all the games I have played, the one where I have just played it as existing in the game world and not following missions all that much is the STALKER mod called Misery. In that I simply lived the Stalker life and paid little to no attention to the missions. Free-form survival. But it isn't that popular due to how difficult it is I reckon, but I loved it.

I get where you are coming from but at the same time I know little that qualifies.

#4526848 - 06/22/20 07:39 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I loooooved Stalker SoC and CoP. Wonderful games. I beat them both.

Maybe that's why I'm so jaded. I've played most of the good, so there's not much left to enjoy. I have the same problem with movies--saw two duds this weekend, and the second--Mission Impossible 4, was supposed to be good, but I feel asleep halfway through when a car crashed into another car, head on, full speed, in a sandstorm, and the driver got out and walked away, unscathed. I feel asleep shortly thereafter.

#4526851 - 06/22/20 08:09 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
True, but if you haven't played Misery, then in my humble opinion, you have not really played Stalker smile

It's the closest thing I've found to what I envision Stalker should be.

I had a thread about it a few years ago

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4390102/

It is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. But for anyone who always wanted Stalker to be more desolate, bleak and unforgiving, this is where to find that. There are a number of other good mods as well, but Misery is the one I found I could relate to the most.

Last edited by DBond; 06/22/20 08:19 PM.

#4526853 - 06/22/20 08:59 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Blastman, RDR2 has a solid story and interesting characters. The world environment is second to none in its atmosphere and representation of nature. None of the main missions feel tedious. They just push the story. Plus some of them are the kind that you literally just ride or walk up to and without a cut it starts the story and cinematic. No fade to black and loading type thing. Very cinematic. Most side missions in my opinion served the game and are fun to do like the bounties which have interesting characters with bits of lore and dialogue and going after gunfighters or doing anything with one of the gang members. Really the only thing I couldn't finish was finding the petraglyphs and finishing a side quest. I couldn't find any for the life of me and only found one with the help of a tutorial but I had already played the game thoroughly and did just about everything you could do. Its definitely a game for the story and the escape to enjoy the excellent world.

I'm not sure how Ghosts of Tsushima level design will work, but I discovered the other day that to create a Hudless type experience, they actually have a wind mechanic that leads you in the right direction towards points of interests.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4526917 - 06/23/20 09:33 AM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Have you ever played Alan Wake? I like to think of it as a mix between Twin Peaks, X-Files and a Stephen King horror movie.

I definitely recommend Alan Wake as well, such a spectacular game

#4526929 - 06/23/20 10:37 AM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I and the second--Mission Impossible 4, was supposed to be good, but I feel asleep halfway through when a car crashed into another car, head on, full speed, in a sandstorm, and the driver got out and walked away, unscathed. I feel asleep shortly thereafter.

Stick to art house, dialogue-heavy independent films and you should be fine. Expecting a big budget Hollywood action movie to not have any unrealistic stunts is like me expecting my Toyota Corrola to go from 0-60 in 4 seconds.

It's all about having the right expectations.

#4531194 - 07/24/20 02:25 PM Re: What are you currently playing these days? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
F4UDash4 Online cool
Veteran
F4UDash4  Online Cool
Veteran

SC
Originally Posted by Mark Aisthorpe

Both in VR of course.

I think I will finally be pulling the trigger on a VR set by the end of this year. I already have several games that support VR such as Elite Dangerous, IL-2 Stalingrad and DCS World so I'll be good to go!

I'm a bit jealous. The HP Reverb G2 is coming out later this year and it promises to be fabulous. I would definitely give it consideration if I were just getting into VR. My OR is nice and I don't fly any sims that don't support it now, but more resolution is always better.

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz
Page 3 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.