Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 184 of 384 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 383 384
#4526126 - 06/18/20 11:28 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: BD-123]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BD-123
I've not heard of indignation and disapproval of British actors playing US roles, particularly in 'Band of Brothers' whose main character and many supporting roles were convincingly played by Brits. Often the opposite it seems, praised for their ability, not damned for their foreignness!

You are absolutely correct with your observation BD-123. Speaking of Band of Brothers, I had no clue Damian Lewis was from the UK until well after I watched the mini-series. His American accent was THAT good.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4526138 - 06/18/20 12:38 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: BD-123]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Oh lovely. Untalented American actress with nothing but flops recently to portray a classy British Royalty Princess. Who is the casting director? She can't act worth of crap already and now you are asking her to fake a British accent too?It's like asking her to walk and chew gum at the same time.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kristen-stewart-princess-diana-twitter-reactions-191819156.html

It's usually down to us Brits to get enraged about US actors portraying British 'National Treasures'! Lot of outrage about Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher until the film was released and pundits and critics grudgingly conceded she gave an excellent and accurate portrayal of the former Prime Minister. Reece Witherspoon came in for a lot of unwarranted opprobrium playing a Londoner in 'Bridget Jones' diary' for instance.
I'm not aware that it works the other way. I've not heard of indignation and disapproval of British actors playing US roles, particularly in 'Band of Brothers' whose main character and many supporting roles were convincingly played by Brits. Often the opposite it seems, praised for their ability, not damned for their foreignness!

Streep and Witherspoon are talented actresses. Kristen Stewart is not. She is barely good enough for those weepy cable TV B-movies.

She is only famous cos of the Twilight movies. If she was never in those movies, which stunk btw, she would not be famous today.

She was good as a child actor but as an adult actor, her acting is horrible.

[Linked Image]
#4526141 - 06/18/20 12:44 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

She is only famous cos of the Twilight movies. If she was never in those movies, which stunk btw, she would not be famous today.

This is only half correct. The Twilight movies did indeed put her on the "A list" of Hollywood actors but it's irrelevant whether or not the movies were actually "good". She became an A list actress because the Twilight movies made a CRAP load of money at the box office.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/18/20 12:45 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4526145 - 06/18/20 12:54 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Streep and Witherspoon are talented actresses. Kristen Stewart is not. She is barely good enough for those weepy cable TV B-movies.

She was good as a child actor but as an adult actor, her acting is horrible.

That should make her perfect for the role... a talentless hack, playing a cheating bimbo.

#4526161 - 06/18/20 02:39 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I've not heard of indignation and disapproval of British actors playing US roles, particularly in 'Band of Brothers' whose main character and many supporting roles were convincingly played by Brits. Often the opposite it seems, praised for their ability, not damned for their foreignness!

You are absolutely correct with your observation BD-123. Speaking of Band of Brothers, I had no clue Damian Lewis was from the UK until well after I watched the mini-series. His American accent was THAT good.

Same here, after watching BoB and Homeland it never seemed possible that he was anything but American. Why haven't we seen him in lead roles in so long?

#4526162 - 06/18/20 02:42 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: BlueHeron]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BlueHeron

Same here, after watching BoB and Homeland it never seemed possible that he was anything but American. Why haven't we seen him in lead roles in so long?

He's had a major role on the series "Billions" since 2016. It seems he's more of a TV actor than a film actor.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0507073/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

#4526262 - 06/19/20 07:25 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Miller's Crossing, once again. What a brillian piece of work that the Coen Brothers created for us, exactly 30 years ago. Great actors with layered characters, great dialogs, a twisted but not convoluted plot, perfect camera work, a woman that has depth and strength and character rather than being the damsel in distress (or the femme fatale, the other noir film cliché). Of course, you need to like the "gangster film"/"1920s prohibition era" genre at least a little bit. And, of course, the use of Tommy guns with drum magazines is ahistorical. But who cares when it looks so good.

#4526266 - 06/19/20 09:06 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Extraction https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8936646/

If you want action and a high body count then this may fit the bill. Chris Hemsworth stars.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4526433 - 06/20/20 10:57 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Bond movies:

the World is not enough. Decent movie except for one flaw: Denise Richards, who will join my list of worst Bond girls ever along with Tanya Roberts and Halle Berry, in the worst Brosnan's Bond film, Die another Day.

unlike Denise Richards who looks like a schoolgirl and does not have any acting skills.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
To this day, I STILL see jokes being made about how little Denise Richards was convincing as a "nuclear physicist". LOL

2019: Denise Richards best work! Guess it pays the bills?

[Linked Image]
#4526440 - 06/20/20 12:02 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
The last film I watched? The Brand New Testament, a passing time during lockdown film. Very funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brand_New_Testament

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4526464 - 06/20/20 02:48 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I tried watching an indie scifi movie last night I stumped across called "Dropa." I turned it off about two thirds through, as I had already fallen asleep a few times. I expected an exciting alien chase, but was delivered a boring snoozer of nothing interesting happening.

#4527067 - 06/24/20 01:41 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Watching the Next Generation episode with Q hurling the Enterprise 7000 light years into space and toward the Borg. Guinan said humans were not suppose to meet the Borgs for a long time, Q made it happen sooner than it shoulda. Anyone know how many decades or centuries ahead did Q advance the meeting between humans and the Borgs?

[Linked Image]
#4527074 - 06/24/20 02:24 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Sweet Virginia on Netflix. Has some really awkward interactions in it due to the two lead characters personalities Jon Bernthal and Christopher Abbot. Decent watch, i love when someone on screen can make you feel awkward watching their performance. I had moments where i was near cringing at their stilted conversations. Abbot was really good at making one feel uneasy and Berthnal was very not Punisher like.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4527075 - 06/24/20 02:33 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Watching the Next Generation episode with Q hurling the Enterprise 7000 light years into space and toward the Borg. Guinan said humans were not suppose to meet the Borgs for a long time, Q made it happen sooner than it shoulda. Anyone know how many decades or centuries ahead did Q advance the meeting between humans and the Borgs?

Gee, dunno.

I'll ask him the next time I talk with him...but I think he is partial to french guys.... Which brings me to the last thing I watched...

Tales from the Loop on amazon prime. Some pretty heady stuff, the last episode (or second to the last) had to blow it (hah ha pun intended) and go all goofy gay.

Oh well, cancelling it soon anyway. Maybe one more year on my student cheap deal...

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4527116 - 06/24/20 10:34 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Belatedly watching the recent series, 'WestWorld'
Good grief, there is an awful lot of soul-searching going on....a way to pad out each episode so as to run to many series which seems to be the penchant for bottom-line driven U.S. production companies.

Contrast is very apparent with the recent 3 part docu-drama about the Salisbury Novochok poisonings of the Skripals by Russian agents (allegedly smile ). Understated, crisp without a moment of screentime wasted which made it a hard-hitting and emotive watch. Showing the enormous risk to thousands from this deadly nerve agent which resulted in only one fatality due to the efficient containment and countermeasures imposed. Especially resonated with us as my youngest Son shared an apartment just yards from the bench where the Skripal father and daughter collapsed. Fortunately he was back at University for his final year after placement at DSTL Porton Down, but his flatmates had to evacuate just in the clothes they were wearing and not permitted to take even their cars.
It was tragic to return there and for us to witness the number of small businesses that had closed in this previously vibrant area, due to many months of access restriction. And those which survived and on the road to recovery were then hit by the lockdown due to C-19.

#4527118 - 06/24/20 10:38 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I tried watching an indie scifi movie last night I stumped across called "Dropa." I turned it off about two thirds through, as I had already fallen asleep a few times. I expected an exciting alien chase, but was delivered a boring snoozer of nothing interesting happening.

Was this a Netflix original film?

#4527120 - 06/24/20 10:41 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: BD-123]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Belatedly watching the recent series, 'WestWorld'
Good grief, there is an awful lot of soul-searching going on....a way to pad out each episode so as to run to many series which seems to be the penchant for bottom-line driven U.S. production companies.

I assume you are watching season (series 1)? Season 1 is universally regarded by fans to be the best season of the 3 seasons so far which have been produced so it definitely seems like WW is simply not your cup of tea. smile

#4527169 - 06/24/20 01:51 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Having a blast with Ozark at the moment, just started Season 3, kind of prefer it when the Byrds were struggling in the first two seasons but still very very good show.

#4527173 - 06/24/20 02:06 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I am told this is good but it's on Apple TV and I ain't signing up just to watch it. See https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7949218/

[Linked Image]
#4527175 - 06/24/20 02:08 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I am told this is a good show but it's on Apple TV and I ain't signing up just to watch it. See https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7949218/

Just do what the vast majority of people do. Sign up, binge the entire series in a few days and then cancel.

Page 184 of 384 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 383 384

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.