Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4525984 - 06/17/20 07:15 PM Whats with all the Fuhrer in title?  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Watching Das Boot TV show.

There are German officers who introduce themselves with Fuhrer in their title.

I thought there was only one Fuhrer: Adolf Hitler.

Examples from the show are: Standartenfuhrer, Sturmbarnfuhrer, Untersturmfuhrer, Grouppefuhrer, etc., etc., and Heinrich Himmler is mention several times as Reichsfuhrer:

Fuhrer of the Reich? Again I say I though the only Fuhrer of the Reich was Adolf Hitler.

I always get the impression from watching World War 2 films and TV shows that the Nazis were obsessed with ranking and position. In the U.S. Army for example, you have private, corporal, different sergeant, 2nd and 1st Lt, Capt, and on to General 1-5 stars. Simple.

In the Nazi Germany, they have so many ranks it's difficult to figure out many of them and who is higher and who is lower in the chain of command.

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4525985 - 06/17/20 07:17 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
"fuehrer" simply means "leader" in German. There is the singular "Der Fuehrer" which refers to Hitler but then you have just the generic word "fuehrer" which means "leader" and is often used for military ranks and other terms.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4525986 - 06/17/20 07:25 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
They are just varying ranks. Himmler wasn't the only Reichsfuhrer but the most well known.

Last edited by Chucky; 06/17/20 07:26 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4525987 - 06/17/20 07:29 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Thanks Panzer and Chucky.

I was right about the Nazi. Look at this Wiki entry. How did they keep track of who is who? Someone came up to me and said something to me and I would be: who are you? You could had stole that uniform!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Nazi_Party

Quite a few Fuhrer in this group:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Nazi_Party#Senior_Nazi_Party_titles

[Linked Image]
#4525988 - 06/17/20 07:35 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I can't even....

Private Second class, Private First class, Corporal, Lance Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First class, Master Sergeant, First Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer, Chief Warrant Officer, Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, General

So what's that you were saying Fly Boy? I ignore most of your posts, but occasionally I cannot.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4525989 - 06/17/20 07:37 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Those are all ranks in the SS and Waffen SS.

Quite what they are doing in a drama that's nominally about U-Boats - apart from introducing extraneous 'baddie' characters we can all go 'Booo!' at, while providing the bad guys for an extraneous sub-plot about the French Resistance complete with the required 'strong female character' - I have no idea, and am not going to waste my TV-watching time trying to work out, interested though I am in WW2 naval warfare. I'm not remotely interested in whitewashing the Nazis - I well recall the strength of feeling to Nicholas Monsarrat's introduction to 'U-Boat 977' - but this I can do without quite happily.

Last edited by 33lima; 06/17/20 07:40 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4525990 - 06/17/20 07:49 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by DBond
I can't even....

Private Second class, Private First class, Corporal, Lance Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First class, Master Sergeant, First Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer, Chief Warrant Officer, Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, General

So what's that you were saying Fly Boy? I ignore most of your posts, but occasionally I cannot.

Well I am sorry I do not know the exact title of all the rankings in the U.S. Army from lowest to highest.

I am saying I thought there was only one person in Nazi Germany with Fuhrer in the title just like in the U.S. Army, there is only one with Supreme Commander.

But seems the Nazi use the title Fuhrer freely and give it out to anyone like they were passing out candies.

Same with their Iron Cross. I also get the impression everyone has one or can get one and don't have to do much to get one unlike the Congressional Medal of Honor or the Purple Heart which requires extraordinary courage and deed and sacrifice for someone in the U.S. Military to receive it.

[Linked Image]
#4525991 - 06/17/20 07:56 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
In the U.S. Army for example, you have private, corporal, different sergeant, 2nd and 1st Lt, Capt, and on to General 1-5 stars. Simple.

In the Nazi Germany, they have so many ranks it's difficult to figure out many of them and who is higher and who is lower in the chain of command.

You might have said more.

#4525992 - 06/17/20 08:00 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Same with their Iron Cross. I also get the impression everyone has one or can get one and don't have to do much to get one unlike the Congressional Medal of Honor or the Purple Heart which requires extraordinary courage and deed and sacrifice for someone in the U.S. Military to receive it.

I'll just highlight this. Iron Cross equals Medal of Honor. Got it.

I'm sure all who earned an Iron Cross will be glad to know NoFLyBoy thinks they didn't earn it with courage. What do you think they awarded the Iron Cross for?

What's the wiki say?

#4525993 - 06/17/20 08:03 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

In the U.S. Army for example, you have private, corporal, different sergeant, 2nd and 1st Lt, Capt, and on to General 1-5 stars. Simple.

You might have said more.

You are not making sense. I was very clear. As I've already said, I do not know the exact title of all the rankings in the U.S. Army from lowest to highest.

I'm sure all who earned an Iron Cross will be glad to know NoFLyBoy thinks they didn't earn it with courage. What do you think they awarded the Iron Cross for?

I get the impression you admire all the Nazis who earned the Iron Cross. What does Wiki say you ask? I don't know. I didn't look it up on Wiki. I don't look everything up on Wiki.

Do you voice ask Google Assistant or Siri to find everything? I don't ever use Siri on my phone. As a matter of fact Siri is disabled on my phone.

There is always someone in a forum who if he doesn't agree or like other's post, they become hostile and condescending. We are just discussing the usage of Fuhrer title in Nazi Germany. You act like I am being tested in class on a exam or something and OPENLY criticize me for not knowing the entire U.S. Army ranking by title from lower to higher.

[Linked Image]
#4525995 - 06/17/20 08:09 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Lame.

#4525996 - 06/17/20 08:12 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Lame.

Yup, you said it. You are lame and rude especially when you said .
I can't even.....

You can't even what? You can't even believe someone doesn't know all the U.S. Army ranks and their titles from lowest to highest? I wasn't aware that is required knowledge for everyone in the U.S. population.

Well, I can't even.... BELIEVE I cannot ask a honest simple question about Nazi titles from watching a show WITHOUT BEING FLAMED.

#4526001 - 06/17/20 08:55 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

WTaF? The Purple Weenie is notorious for being handed out like candy - some gathering a dozen or more for various minor injuries. Slightly more significant than a campaign medal, at least in theory, but not by much.

Iron Cross, First Class with Oak Leaves, is rare - I don't know whether it is as rare as the Victoria Cross or CMoH, but it is a higher standard of bravery medal.
Ultimately all medals are political/morale trinkets, not corresponding to actual concern for servicemen or valour. (see for example the plethora of VC given at a minor defensive action in Janurary 1879, not untypical of colonial clashes, but following on from a embarrassing defeat garnering a disproportionate positive press).

#4526012 - 06/17/20 09:47 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Before you ask a question NFB, you could always do an Inet search first.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4526013 - 06/17/20 09:59 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Thanks Panzer and Chucky.

I was right about the Nazi. Look at this Wiki entry. How did they keep track of who is who? Someone came up to me and said something to me and I would be: who are you? You could had stole that uniform!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Nazi_Party

Quite a few Fuhrer in this group:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Nazi_Party#Senior_Nazi_Party_titles

Those are (kind of civilian) ranks in the NSDAP (=Nazi) party. Those are used at the various levels of the party hirarchy and regional organisation.
As has been said, the ranks in the OP refer to military ranks in the (Waffen-)SS.

Last edited by WhoCares; 06/17/20 10:03 PM.
#4526016 - 06/17/20 10:04 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida

I believe it was your conclusion of "Simple" that garnered the incredulous reaction.

#4526026 - 06/17/20 10:53 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: WhoCares]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by WhoCares

As has been said, the ranks in the OP refer to military ranks in the (Waffen-)SS.

Gosh. They are mostly all Fuhrer.

Thanks, Who!

[Linked Image]
#4526027 - 06/17/20 11:05 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well, if watching a few TV episodes helped to dispel the impression that Nazi Germany was well organized with a strict hierarchy going straight from Hitler to the lowest private, it has probably achieved more education than one could reasonably expect. smile
Hitler deliberately set up competing organizations and hierarchies that would battle each other for his approval so that they wouldn't find the time to plot against him.

As mentioned before, "Führer" meant just "leader" as such it's actually a relatively neutral word even today, although of course historical connotations are often still there and can be rhetorically exploited (if your agenda is anti-authoritatian). So you could be the leader of any organization or sub-organization, and then there were entire rank systems based on neo-pagan/pseudo-aryan words "+führer". But of course there was only one who was "Der Führer" without the need for further specification.

#4526033 - 06/17/20 11:21 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Reichsfuhrer SS I believe simply means National leader of the SS. Others are Standard Leader, Group Leader etc. There's only one Leader just like there's only One Yorkshire Ripper.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4526034 - 06/17/20 11:33 PM Re: Whats with all the Fuhrer in title? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Anyone with [something]fuhrer, middle management who loves fighting amongst themselves and wearing funny clothes, The Fuhrer, big kahuna with the ban hammer.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.