Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4525541 - 06/15/20 02:07 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I damaged my parents station wagon on a "unique" date, circa 1967.

She somehow knew about this hard to get to "parking" spot.

And...No! Since you all are no doubt wondering.

And, I had been warned about her, something about blue orbs... shower

There went my car privileges. For...

edit: Next time I'll tell you about the FBI agents daughter I was dating in high school, who freakin attacked me on the couch, while her dad the Fed sat at his desk 20 feet away. yep hahaha

Last edited by Nixer; 06/15/20 02:12 AM. Reason: Beer spelling

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4525556 - 06/15/20 07:07 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Not sure if it counts but I gave private lessons in English to a guy maybe three or four years under me. Paid fairly decent, and well, I managed to lift his grades substantially, so my unconventional methods seemed to help. I found repeating the lessons in class just as boring as he did. So I decided that we'd go for translating song lyrics, and then we just started reading short stories, mostly Edgar Allan Poe (he was still a thing, right after the Dinosaur extinction). And I sold two or three science fiction short stories (which, technically, made me a professional writer, hah!).
The first regular job with something resembling a salary was as a soldier, having been "voluntary drafted" (I wanted to become an officer, but had to wait for one more year for the next slot to open, so they suggestsed that I start early as a regular draftee, which I did). And then I signed up for the officer's career, at which point what I considered "serious money" started rolling in (which still wasn't much, but not having a car and not having an apartment (...and not having a girlfriend, sigh) at the time considerably helped to trim down the costs of living).

#4525562 - 06/15/20 09:51 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
My first paying job, I actually did work for my Pop at a ripe old age of twelve. I began by assisting him in his automobile engine rebuilding business in our garage. Then we moved into the back of the local auto parts store. And then, we opened our own automotive machine shop. I rebuilt my first engine (VW) when I was thirteen. When I turned fourteen (1974) I was offered an opportunity. I could a. pay $500.00 for my Pops 1969 VW Bug. Or b. work the summer (3 months) for it. I chose b. I could have made the $500.00 easily in a week. However, just working with and learning from my Pop was reward enough for me.

Then, in 1978, I joined the Marines to work on jet engines making a whopping $400.00 a month. I haven't "worked" a day since February 1978.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4525571 - 06/15/20 10:56 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake
Not sure if it counts but I gave private lessons in English to a guy maybe three or four years under me. Paid fairly decent, and well, I managed to lift his grades substantially, so my unconventional methods seemed to help. I found repeating the lessons in class just as boring as he did. So I decided that we'd go for translating song lyrics, and then we just started reading short stories, mostly Edgar Allan Poe (he was still a thing, right after the Dinosaur extinction). And I sold two or three science fiction short stories (which, technically, made me a professional writer, hah!).
The first regular job with something resembling a salary was as a soldier, having been "voluntary drafted" (I wanted to become an officer, but had to wait for one more year for the next slot to open, so they suggestsed that I start early as a regular draftee, which I did). And then I signed up for the officer's career, at which point what I considered "serious money" started rolling in (which still wasn't much, but not having a car and not having an apartment (...and not having a girlfriend, sigh) at the time considerably helped to trim down the costs of living).

If you don't mind me asking how long did you end up serving in the "Heer"?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4525611 - 06/15/20 03:28 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
About ten years, give or take a little. Including one year in the Luftwaffe. I ... I was young and naive, and didn't know better.

#4525618 - 06/15/20 04:26 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake
About ten years, give or take a little. Including one year in the Luftwaffe. I ... I was young and naive, and didn't know better.

LOL! Thanks for the witty reply. smile

As for me, I was ready to pursue an officer career in the Navy when I was in college but as soon as I mentioned "open heart surgery when I was 8 years old" the recruiter told me I was disqualified.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4525625 - 06/15/20 05:34 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I find that impressive. On whom did you perform the surgery? Was it successful?
There aren't many eight year-olds that can do this.

#4525672 - 06/16/20 12:46 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
No "off the books" jobs? Shucks. Lots of hay bailing, killing muskrats, etc., down the drain.

So I reckon that would be the Army Reserves back in '83.

It makes me feel really old to have served in uniform from Reagan to Obama. wink

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4525676 - 06/16/20 01:08 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I was in uniform for Jerry Ford!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4525677 - 06/16/20 01:12 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Yes, my piano playing was off the books. All cash.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4525707 - 06/16/20 09:32 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: oldgrognard]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
My furniture removing was all cash - 25 pence an hour plus tips!

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4525713 - 06/16/20 10:40 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'd say about 25% of the economy in Miami is done by "off the books" workers so I know all about it! I just wanted to keep the scope of my thread to "official" W2 type jobs with some sort of company or organization.

#4525788 - 06/16/20 05:35 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
First one with a W2 was framing houses in high school.

#4530767 - 07/21/20 01:55 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Carl's Jr. was my first job. Did it off and on for four maybe five years at two different stores. You might be the cashier one night, work the french fry fryer the next, be keeping the dining area and salad bar stocked on another night, and end being the line cook the next night. You name a job that the store needed someone to do that night that was where you worked and quite often you ended up doing more than one job, especially if there were only two of you in the store. Minimum employees per shift was supposed to be three...

I never considered it as a career path but a couple of individuals that started around the same time as me ended up working for corporate making better wages than I ever saw owning my own business.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4530796 - 07/21/20 11:23 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Carl's Jr. was my first job.

Wheels

No Carl's Jr. stores in Florida but I absolutely love their commercials with the hot models. biggrin

#4530806 - 07/21/20 01:40 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Carl's Jr. doesn't do the hot model thing much anymore frown Jack In The Box used to have some funny stuff too, but now it's fairly bland.

My first job was counting magazines for a distributor. Retail stores would get credit for unsold copies of magazines, so each week the drivers would go out and collect the out-of-date magazines and bring them to the warehouse, where we'd count how many of each title came from each location and enter that into a computer - by scanning the bar code and typing in a quantity. That was stored on an 8-inch floppy disk which I would take to the offices upstairs for processing.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4530808 - 07/21/20 01:42 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Arthonon

My first job was counting magazines for a distributor. Retail stores would get credit for unsold copies of magazines, so each week the drivers would go out and collect the out-of-date magazines and bring them to the warehouse, where we'd count how many of each title came from each location and enter that into a computer - by scanning the bar code and typing in a quantity. That was stored on an 8-inch floppy disk which I would take to the offices upstairs for processing.

Heh, wow! Now that's certainly an outdated job function when you look at magazine sales today and how they have plummeted with the advent of the internet and social media.

#4530819 - 07/21/20 02:41 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Yeah, and we handled a bunch back then. People would probably freak out if they had seen how it was handled. We'd count all of one title from a given location, like, say, Road and Track, then take one and write the quantity on that, and the rest would go into a dumpster. Once we had all the titles counted for a store, we'd have a small stack of magazines with numbers on the cover, and after scanned they'd go into the dumpster as well. I think thousands of magazines ended up in a landfill each week. Not exactly environmentally friendly.

On the plus side, we got all the free magazines we wanted smile

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4530828 - 07/21/20 03:04 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

High school buddy got his first and only job at McD when we were in High School. He now owns a whole franchise of them and probably has more money than everyone in our Senior class combined. The secret to getting fresh made burgers at McD? Order it with extra something or something omitted:

extra pickles, or no onions, or no special sauce, sub mustard instead. Then stand at the counter and wait and they will have to make it from scratch cos you are watching them. Also tell them not to put any fries in your order until the burger is out and if they do that, tell them you want fresh fries, cos those been sitting on the tray or in the bag while your burger was being made.

[Linked Image]
#4530837 - 07/21/20 03:35 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for those tips NFB! I visit McDonalds about twice per month. smile

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.