Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4525243 - 06/12/20 06:52 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: Zamzow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

As Dbond mentioned before, those were indeed different times! I can't even fathom the possible lawsuits if some auto dealership did that now.

Ya know, I never thought about it that way but you are right - no way in hell they'd let a 16-year-old drive an hour away to another dealership in a brand new car these days.

Originally Posted by Zamzow

I watched a 17 year old girl in 2015 teach herself how to drive a stick shift in a customers car at a car wash I was working at for a second job over the summer.

The car was a Corvette z06...

She did fine though - she was one of those "really has her stuff together" types who probably has a masters degree in something by now...

Oh, my first job was Taco Bell in 1987 - did 2 years there...

Nice! That dealership is where I learned to drive stick as well - plenty of cars had them still back then.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4525244 - 06/12/20 06:58 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vapour Offline
Vapour  Offline

13 Years old, 1988, £1.75 per hour......

Peeling Brussel sprouts for a local hotel for their Christmas function nights. I had to clock in, my seat was the bags of sprouts I had to peel. In front of me was an old style bin (trash can). I peeled thousands of those bloody things and fill the bin, it seemed to take an age before I stopped hearing the sound of the sprouts hitting the bottom of the bins base, when I heard sprout hitting sprout I knew I was getting places lol.
ult/cry.gif
Just when I thought I was getting on top of things, one night the chefs went on the piss, they thought it would be a laugh to come back into the kitchen and piss in the full bin of sprouts frown

It was great fun to be fair, great meals at break time, adult humor, staff night getting fed full of pints of beer (the 80s were great).

I was a waiter the following Christmas, I still have one of my pay slips my parents kept. My kids can't get over the age I was, plenty seemed to do it though. My son is 14, I don't hear of or see kids getting jobs like that anymore.

#4525247 - 06/12/20 07:16 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Paperboy or pumping gas at the local Caltex.
Can`t remember which was first.
Good money in the good old school days.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4525252 - 06/12/20 08:27 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Paperboy at 13 or 14 then cleaning guy at a donut shop Mon-Thurs and overnight server\donut finisher on Fri & Sat. We were open 24/7 and after the bars closed I actually made pretty good money in tips. To this day nothing beats the taste of a fresh warm donut. Especially when you can custom make anything you like even if it is not on the menu. ;}

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4525254 - 06/12/20 08:33 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
My son started part time work when he was 16, he saved up bought a 50cc bike, sold that bought a car, saved a lot until he left school then kept saving he is now coming up on 22 and he has bought a small property 5 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen, and out buildings, on a parcel of land about 1acre , he is now renting that out for a good sum that more than pays his mortgage. He still lives at home here, he did work for his older brother but he wanted to spread his wings and now works for an engineering company looking after food processing equipment. At the weekends he works with his boss renovating an old farm.

His older siblings said he would make nothing of himself and that he was too lazy to work now they have to eat their words :-)

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4525256 - 06/12/20 08:45 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Merchandise puller and bike assembler at Toys R Us. $4.50 per hour PT and FT, 1992. Someone wants to look at a bicycle on the high rack, I am the ones to take it down and putting it back. Someone buys something that requires assembly, I am the one who goes upstairs in the warehouse which is almost the same size as downstairs, but poorly lit, no signs, no system as where everything is located, just ZONES, no air conditioning or heating, and with narrow walkways and alleys like in a home attic, looking for that merchandise and they are all in big cardboard boxes with little labels on them, making them difficult to find while your walkie talkie is going off in your ears (headset) calling you to find something else or to assist a customer in the bike department. Hated that job. Store cose at 10 and sometimes we spend almost 2 hours putting the ton of stuff that kids pulled off the shelves back on the shelves and straightening out every shelves on every aisle. Every day it's like a hurricane blew thru. You cannot imagine the amount of merchandise that is pulled off the shelves by the customers and that is found elsewhere in the wrong place and even HOT merchandise that was hidden by customers. Holiday season was a nightmare. People were animals and savages! Only good thing about that job is employee discount was generous and I was able to buy the SNES and the Sega Genesis 32 with CD. Then in 1995 I was still there, but FT instead of PT, we were allowed to get the Playstation before they were avail for the customers.

#4525259 - 06/12/20 09:38 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
First job: summer job, age 15, furniture remover. Great blokes to work with, saw different parts of the country, worked first 17 hour day, boy was I tired!

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4525280 - 06/13/20 01:18 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I was maybe 10 yrs old..

I was given a TV guide delivery route by a guy who had got a real job.

I seriously remember walking a few miles in snow and cold ass weather to make a couple of dollars a week.

Didn't last long, it was probably like .25 cents an hour.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4525285 - 06/13/20 01:52 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
First job with a monthly paycheque was Junior Assistant Location Scout at a production house.
It lasted a little under a year - opened the trapdoor to years in ad agencies.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4525286 - 06/13/20 01:52 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

25 cents per hour? 10 years old? That's child labor and child abuse.

[Linked Image]
#4525290 - 06/13/20 02:13 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Nah, it was my dad trying to teach me a work ethic and the value of a dollar.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4525320 - 06/13/20 11:06 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by Mark Aisthorpe
I started work in the summer of 1978 at a Photocopying & Dyeline printing company, take home pay was a whopping £22 a week.
I stayed there for 8 months before joining the Post Office as a Telegram Boy.

Ah the evocative scent of the dyeline printer! And coming out of the room somewhat nauseous from ammonium hydroxide fumes and hands sticky with ammonia crystals! As part of my sojourn as a trainee in a large London Store, I had a placement in the drawing office for a Contract Interiors dept., printing yards of wet soggy paper in a rather ancient Diazo machine.

A strange ambition, I left school with few qualifications at 16 ( I am dispraxic, just considered lazy and clumsy back then!) with a desire to sell designer furniture. Worked at Heal's in the West End of London, starting as a trainee, but hated the cut throat competitiveness atmosphere of selling furniture on low basic wage with high commission rates. Considering this was late 1960's, the firm had a very progressive and empathetic attitude in many ways to it's staff, listening to my woes and paying for my trade college training as a graphic designer/photographer/ writer to work on Inhouse publications.

#4525327 - 06/13/20 12:04 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: BD-123]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Originally Posted by BD-123
I started work in the summer of 1978 at a Photocopying & Dyeline printing company, take home pay was a whopping £22 a week.

Ah the evocative scent of the dyeline printer! And coming out of the room somewhat nauseous from ammonium hydroxide fumes and hands sticky with ammonia crystals!

Tell me about it, one of my duties was to refill the ammonia tanks on the machines, not a fun job. I did get out of the office quite often delivering prints to the various architects in the local area that used us, Grosvenor Gardens, Victoria SW1 BTW

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4525332 - 06/13/20 12:52 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

Ah the evocative scent of the dyeline printer! And coming out of the room somewhat nauseous from ammonium hydroxide fumes and hands sticky with ammonia crystals!

Tell me about it, one of my duties was to refill the ammonia tanks on the machines, not a fun job. I did get out of the office quite often delivering prints to the various architects in the local area that used us, Grosvenor Gardens, Victoria SW1 BTW

Brings back memories of working at architectural and engineering firms in the 90's as a board/CAD draftsman. The draftsmen would take turns swapping out the used up ammonia bottles on our blue-line machines (taking a plotted floorplan drawing and running it through on top of yellow blue-line paper for a copy) and improperly (I'm sure) disposing of the old ammonia somewhere behind the building. Like a real dumbass, the first time I had this duty I took the old bottle (about the size of a large Clorox bottle) to the restroom and started pouring it into the toilet. The fumes about knocked me out! Oops.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4525427 - 06/14/20 11:51 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: MarkG]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by MarkG

Brings back memories of working at architectural and engineering firms in the 90's as a board/CAD draftsman. The draftsmen would take turns swapping out the used up ammonia bottles on our blue-line machines (taking a plotted floorplan drawing and running it through on top of yellow blue-line paper for a copy) and improperly (I'm sure) disposing of the old ammonia somewhere behind the building. Like a real dumbass, the first time I had this duty I took the old bottle (about the size of a large Clorox bottle) to the restroom and started pouring it into the toilet. The fumes about knocked me out! Oops.

22 quid a week? I started at £6/15/6d only 12 years earlier...shows how inflation rocketed during the Heath/Wilson years!

#4525429 - 06/14/20 12:18 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Banking back office, aged 18, late 80s.

Payed about 1000$ a month, working seven figures checks on some bank accounts, reflecting on how "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood".

"Doesn't last much longer after birth", I thought then.

Still, it was a good student job, pay vs effort wise.

#4525480 - 06/14/20 06:17 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
A dishwasher at a Bonanza restaurant. Only last a few weeks, and went to work at Water Country water park. Then when they closed down after summer I went to Shaw's grocery stores and did carry out in HS. I had a daily paper route in ME though, I worked for my Dad, but I had to go out and pick up bundles of papers and deliver them to stores along the Maine coast from Kittery to Kennebunkport which took about an hour. But it was 7 days a week and lasted before Memorial Day and ended a little after Labor day.

I had a motorcycle at 16 and my parents didn't let me slide by not paying, if I didn't work, they parked it. Much different than kids these days who have 20K cars given to them for HS graduation or even to go to HS in....

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4525519 - 06/14/20 11:31 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
age 11, 1963 mowed neighbor's yards for 50 cents to $2 with a self propelled Jacobson reel mower. Worked in cemetery, mowing and digging graves, one summer. worked street department doing cement and asphalt mostly another summer. Crew foreman for a company that installed guard rail, fencing and signs on interstate highways. $20/hr. and double-time for any over time. made more money than my dad. Coast guard 6 years. Drove big rig for McLeans for 3 months with a friend. 4 years college at UNC-A. Always had a few yards on the side. Went full time lawn service in 1981 with a few crew, including friends and both sons. Now me and my wife do about 80 a week. Parkinson's disease is making me cut back to the safer ones.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4525520 - 06/14/20 11:32 PM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I didn't have a car until college which I bought myself. Old Mazda. I didn't get any dates in senior high cos I didn't have wheels.

[Linked Image]
#4525539 - 06/15/20 01:54 AM Re: What was your very first job? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
I didn't have a car until college which I bought myself. Old Mazda. I didn't get any dates in senior high cos I didn't have wheels.

Senior high without a car? I didn't get my license until shortly before graduation, and still rode the bus until the last day of school.

The key at that age, I think, is to ask out a nice sweet conservative-type chick who is even poorer than you are, who won't mind that dating you for the foreseeable future will likely include the two of you being chauffeured around by your mom in a K-car station wagon. biggrin If she'll happily agree to that, then maybe she's a keeper. yep

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.